TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson Staff D7 Forged

Zeebedy

Hey guys,

after much indecision and back and forth on clubs, I have settled on the D7 Forged..I am getting back into golf and want to "future proof" my clubs for my game without "upgrading" once my performance increases.

i have a tester tomorrow at my local range, and booked in for a custom fit before I order them on Thursday. Must credit American Golf store as they have been great for customer service!

does anyone here with them or tried them, have any feedback it would be much appreciated if so..

thanks, Alex.

DRIVER: Taylormade RBZ Tour 9 degree

3W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

5W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

4 Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ reg.

Irons: Wilson Staff D7 Forged (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey SM6 52, 56 and 60

Putter: Cleveland - Huntington Beach #3

Ball: -

I've heard nothing but great things about Wilson's line of forged clubs.  Enjoy them.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

14 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I've heard nothing but great things about Wilson's line of forged clubs.  Enjoy them.

Thanks.one quick question mate, I have a driver, 3 wood and a 4 hybrid. Will this be ok with 5-PW or will I ideally need a 4-PW to bridge that gap with the wilson clubs?

It just depends on how you hit your 4 hybrid and 5 iron.  What is the loft of your 3 wood, 4 hybrid and 5 iron?  I personally had a driver, 3 wood (15 degrees of loft), 2 iron (18*),  3 hybrid (20*) 4 hybrid (22*) then 5-pw.  I found that I was too close together with my upper clubs.  I recently switched and got a 5 wood (18*) which replaced my 2 iron and I eliminated my 3 hybrid as well.  I found that this works best for me.  Do you have an idea how far you hit each club?

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

22 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

It just depends on how you hit your 4 hybrid and 5 iron.  What is the loft of your 3 wood, 4 hybrid and 5 iron?  I personally had a driver, 3 wood (15 degrees of loft), 2 iron (18*),  3 hybrid (20*) 4 hybrid (22*) then 5-pw.  I found that I was too close together with my upper clubs.  I recently switched and got a 5 wood (18*) which replaced my 2 iron and I eliminated my 3 hybrid as well.  I found that this works best for me.  Do you have an idea how far you hit each club?

Thanks for the input mate.

im not sure on my lengths, I have just ordered a launch monitor for the range to work on my yardage. 

I had my confirmation on my custom fit with the guy at the American golf shop and the site pro. Excellent service.

Only bummer is my clubs will be around 4 weeks till I get in hand..but I asked if it was possible to come to the range and use the D7 when I’m up (few time’s a week) until they arrive? No problem!

im pumped, they were lovely to hit when done right.

That's great news!  I am happy for you, now you just have to play the waiting game...and that's the hardest part.  Enjoy them and let me know how you like them.

Just back from the range, borrowed the stores D7 7 iron to hit for half an hour..even with the crappie range balls, man, does it feel nice to hit.

i would advise anyone looking for new clubs to not write these off, try them..

Please share as many photos as you feel comfortable with.  I absolutely love the look of the D7 forged.  I hope they work well for you!!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Fan of the D7 Forged as well. If you get a chance, try Wilson's Staff Model Utility irons to fill in the gap between your 5 iron and three wood. the 21 and 24 degree irons are sweet, and very easy to hit. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Will do guys. Soon as I get them.

man it’s gonna be a hard month lol  😆

Well this thread couldn't have been better timed with the results of Most Wanted Players Distance Iron.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I have always loved Wilson Irons. I used to have a set D3's which I traded in on a set of Tour 100 Blades. When I came to buy my current set I had limitations due to an illness so unfortunately the D6 was not an option, mind you I did test it and it felt amazing.

I find that Wilson are one of the most underestimated clubs but also one of the best on the market.

Enjoy.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I have hit them and they are some of the greatest irons I’ve ever hit.

I laughed this morning when I saw these get Most Wanted because when I hit them I thought these HAVE to win something.

Ill put it this way, when I was hitting these at Watts a dude next to me in the other bay was also hitting them. This dude bought two sets while I was in there of D7s. Two identical sets.

These irons are the real deal boys.

I have hit them and they are some of the greatest irons I’ve ever hit.
I laughed this morning when I saw these get Most Wanted because when I hit them I thought these HAVE to win something.
Ill put it this way, when I was hitting these at Watts a dude next to me in the other bay was also hitting them. This dude bought two sets while I was in there of D7s. Two identical sets.
These irons are the real deal boys.

Yep, great irons and when you factor in cost they get even better.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yep, great irons and when you factor in cost they get even better.

American golf also price matched another UK website so I saved around 15-20 percent, which I’m so stoked about.

even without the discount there are awesome clubs for the dollar!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

took delivery today of the d7 irons, currently can’t sleep as I’m looking forward to the range tomorrow.

willl report back when I return 😃

Hey guys,

I love these clubs, feel so good when you hit it right. And I am also surprised at how forgiving these forged irons are, still need to get used to them but loving them so far..

‘and I know it’s not the be all and end all, but, damn they look sooo good.

21 hours ago, Zeebedy said:

Hey guys,

I love these clubs, feel so good when you hit it right. And I am also surprised at how forgiving these forged irons are, still need to get used to them but loving them so far..

‘and I know it’s not the be all and end all, but, damn they look sooo good.

I just put the D7 Forged in my bag as well. Two range sessions and 1 round in the books - They're delightful irons.

Only frustrating part was I had zero use for them on the front 9 except for one shot, a 5i punch around a tree 🙄  Funny how you can go long stretches without needing a standard iron. Finally got my opportunities on the back. The highlight was the 13th hole, par 3, 141 to the pin, slightly elevated green sloping back to front. I decided to pull out my 9i without really having a good understanding of my distances with these irons. My buddy who is a longer hitter than I am questioned my choice, thinking that the hole was playing longer with the breeze. Long story long, I flushed it and landed 5' directly behind the pin. Spin seemed fine as it hopped once and stuck. Let me just say that finding the center of the face generated the purest feeling I can imagine with an iron, and a ball flight that I am still day dreaming about. 

My buddy who questioned my club choice had also questioned my choice in brand when I told him that I had settled on Wilson Staff. I believe his response was "Interesting...Wilson???"

I am a little too young (33) to remember Wilson Staff dominating the game. But I am so enthused about gaming a classic brand who finds itself in the underdog role. Their value proposition is incredible (I also added the Wilson Infinite Bean putter to the bag, replacing my ancient Ping Zing 2).

I now am officially a Wilson Staff homer. I hope for both of our sakes these irons will bring us new low scores and pure joy for the next 10 years. Cheers!

Dexterity: RH

Driver:taylormade-small: Sim Max 9˚

3 Wood:Sub70: 939x

4h & 5h:Sub70: 939x

4i-PW: MALTBY TE Forged

Wedges:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52˚ & 58˚

Putter:edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball:titelist-small: Pro V1 or :Snell: MTB-X Optic Yellow

Data Collection:ShotScope: V3

Back from a local driving range, and I have a question for you fine people..but first..

my biggest culprit in my game is definitely trying to "smash" the ball, but when I slow it down, omg the difference!

even with these hard rocks I’m hitting, the feel off these D7s, unbelievably awesome!

i hit a perfect 7 iron (I know it’s not all about distance but I’m curious) and I had to double check the yardage but was falling short of the blue flag / bunker on the range which is 174 yards. So I’m estimating a 165-170 carry..and now the question..

how much yardage do you guys reckon is lost with a range ball against a pro V etc...? Surely 10 yards+??

sorry for the rant, but I honestly can’t get over these irons!

Edited by Zeebedy

Back from a local driving range, and I have a question for you fine people..but first..
my biggest culprit in my game is definitely trying to "smash" the ball, but when I slow it down, omg the difference!
even with these hard rocks I’m hitting, the feel off these D7s, unbelievably awesome!
i hit a perfect 7 iron (I know it’s not all about distance but I’m curious) and I had to double check the yardage but was falling short of the blue flag / bunker on the range which is 174 yards. So I’m estimating a 165-170 carry..and now the question..
how much yardage do you guys reckon is lost with a range ball against a pro V etc...? Surely 10 yards+??

This will give you an idea.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 hours ago, Zeebedy said:

I had the idea once of going to Drive Shack (Top Golf competitor) and using their system (Trackman-based) to try and get a feel for distances. While the data readout is what you'd expect from a Trackman, I couldn't understand why my 7i and 5i were going the same distance. Then I pulled driver and absolutely smashed one: 60 yards short of what I'd normally hit. Took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to consider that the balls they use do not, by design, go nearly as far as "real" golf balls.

To @cnosil's point, driving ranges are fine for working on mechanics and getting reps, but I'm not making any decisions based on what a range ball does, especially if I'm trying to capture data. (Also one of the reasons I've held off on a launch monitor, too -- the balls I'm hitting into the net in my garage are 2-piece, scuffed up trash balls and the data from that would be just worthless. But they're good for getting some frustration out when a software developer fails to meet a deadline.)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

• 3 weeks later...

I went for a fitting today and the top 2 were the D7 Forged and the Hot Metal Pro.  Titleist t200 3rd

Titleist AP2 (first gen) standard lie/length True Temper DG s300 stiff flex

Ping I20 Stiff flex 10.5 loft

Right handed

Born and raised Napa CA

rsz_i-hate-golf.jpg.3af75309a44d720a8db8b1d011c0b58f.jpg

I went for a fitting today and the top 2 were the D7 Forged and the Hot Metal Pro.  Titleist t200 3rd

At my recent fitting I hit the D7 and the HMP. Both awesome clubs. I ended up going with the standard Mavriks, though I was hitting the HMP very similarly.

I actually may end up switching to the HMP under the 90 day playability guarantee for a couple of various reasons, but we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk