TESTERS WANTED! ×

Small head driver vs 460 CC for high handicapper

RSS

I am a high handicapper that can't hit a driver. I do well with my 3 wood and have been thinking about a smaller driver, i.e. TS4. However, most smaller heads are for better players. Would getting a TS4 head and use a lighter shaft., i.e. Kuro Kage work. I did try hitting it at Roger Dunn store, but they only had the Hazardous shaft, which was too heavy. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Beatles golf.jpeg

A fitting would be best. Most 440cc heads are designed for high swing speed players. The CGs are more forward so they'll tend to be lower spinning. That might work for you depending on your delivery, but the only way to find out what would work best for you is to get a fitting done and try the smaller heads compared to bigger heads.

I personally wouldn't want to sacrifice the MOI gains from a larger head, seeing as there are quite a few low spinning options at 460cc already but yeah you'll have to test them out and see what works best.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

The TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver might be one to consider as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I tested the Ping G400 vs the G400 Max and found faster ball speed and equal dispersion. The G400 is very high MOI for a smaller head, probably beats lot of 460cc drivers out there. 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

On 7/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, RSS said:

I am a high handicapper that can't hit a driver. I do well with my 3 wood and have been thinking about a smaller driver, i.e. TS4. However, most smaller heads are for better players. Would getting a TS4 head and use a lighter shaft., i.e. Kuro Kage work. I did try hitting it at Roger Dunn store, but they only had the Hazardous shaft, which was too heavy. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Like others said, it really comes down to what you want to play. If you can test a few drivers in the 420-440cc range and you like the look and are able to keep it somewhat on the planet, go for it! They are lower spinning and less forgiving as a general rule of thumb, but you could always get one in a slightly higher loft and have a cross between a 3 wood and driver. I also know a few guys that don’t have “great” golf swings that just really like the look of small compact clubheads, and the confidence they get from it offsets the slight loss in forgiveness. I played a small club-builders brand growing up that was like 295cc and used to smoke it. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I don't think getting a driver with a smaller head is really going to help you.  The difference between a TS4 with a 440 head and a different driver with a 460 head isn't going to be sufficient enough to change whatever is causing your issues hitting driver. Your 3 wood is going to be ~ 40% the size of your driver where as a "smaller" driver head might be 92-96%. 

The driver swing is different than your other clubs so it would probably be worth the cost of a lesson to see if they can get you on the right track.  If you live in a populated area, you should be able to find a 30-45 min lesson for $50 that would be a far better investment than a new driver.

If you are insistent on trying a smaller driver, go on ebay and pick up a 20 year old Taylormade 320 ti or similar for $25 and see if that helps. If it's just some kind of mental block, maybe that will help you get over it and you can eventually transition to a current full size driver. 

Edited by ChitownM2

You are probably hitting the 3 wood better because it has a shorter shaft.  See if you can find a place to try a shorter driver shaft.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I would think a high handicap would want forgiveness: no loss of ball speed despite not hitting the sweet spot. Check out the most forgiving drivers like Ping G410 plus and cobra speedzone, and I would definitely get fit for a shaft that maximizes your delivery...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV