Jump to content

Martini Tees - Driver Face Contact?


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

I have been using Martini tees for a few years.  Occasionally, I hit a ball with my driver which goes way off line.  My handicap is 15, so I am willing to concede that it could be me.  But it has me wondering if the face of the driver always clears the rim of the tee and hits the ball without interference.  There are videos showing that with "regular" wooden tees, the driver hits the ball first.  Is anybody aware if the large bowl on the Martini tees can interfere with contact between the driver face and the ball?

Edited by upacreekk
  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are a load of crap, I cant stand them! Wooden or plastic regular tees with the lines on them so can do the same thing every time is where it's at. The only Martini I want is ice cold and shaken. 

I agree, I play with our Seniors on Friday and almost all of them use the Martini.....and yes, it is comical when they Scramble to find one. Using Tour Edge Exotics EXS Driver w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck

Nothing like watching a 75 year old scrambling for a Tee Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Posted Images

My wife was using those tees and her golf instructor told her to stop due to the reason you're talking about, potential to strike the tee rim prior to ball.  Honestly I don't know but this guy is a great teacher so I believe him on this one.  Got to be more friction on the ball then a small tee but really does it make any difference to us at our level?  No idea but not something I want to be thinking about on the tee, got enough stuff between my ears without adding one more thing.  

  • Like 3

TM M4  

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybids

Titleist T200 5-GW 

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

Link to post

I tried them because a friend gave me a couple a few years back, I so no improvement, I think they are still in the little baggie I keep my tees in.

I have also tried the 4 more yards tees and brush tees, I did not see any improvement with them either.

  • Love 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

 

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

 

Link to post
16 hours ago, upacreekk said:

I have been using Martini tees for a few years.  Occasionally, I hit a ball with my driver which goes way off line.  My handicap is 15, so I am willing to concede that it could be me.  But it has me wondering if the face of the driver always clears the rim of the tee and hits the ball without interference.  There are videos showing that with "regular" wooden tees, the driver hits the ball first.  Is anybody aware if the large bowl on the Martini tees can interfere with contact between the driver face and the ball?

What is the diameter of the bowl on these tees?  I've seen a few, and my memory is that its no more than maybe 3/4 inch.  I don't see any way that you could contact the bowl of the tee before you hit the ball.  Looking at the photo on this page, I'd say it nearly impossible to hit the tee first, unless you're sliding your clubhead almost completely under the ball:

https://martinigolftees.com/why-martini

 

  • Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to post

I have been playing with one for about 2 years.  The stepped version really helps with consistent tee height and they last forever.   I just can't see how you could hit the tee before the ball and if you did the shot would be awful no matter what tee you used.  

  • Like 2

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Link to post

My wife has been playing Martini tees for years, and she hits the ball straight down the fairway most times.  Bad results are purely from a bad swing.  An LPGA pro showed her the 20% tilt, and it seems to work for her.  They don't break, and she rarely loses one.  Pink is her favorite color; not because she's a "girl", but because pink is the easiest color for her to see on most green-ish tee boxes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

What is the diameter of the bowl on these tees?  I've seen a few, and my memory is that its no more than maybe 3/4 inch.  I don't see any way that you could contact the bowl of the tee before you hit the ball.  Looking at the photo on this page, I'd say it nearly impossible to hit the tee first, unless you're sliding your clubhead almost completely under the ball:

https://martinigolftees.com/why-martini

 

I slide the driver under the ball almost like a wedge at least once a round, the back gets stiff a times and I cannot drop my body in the down swing.

  • Haha 2

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

 

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

 

Link to post
14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My wife has been playing Martini tees for years, and she hits the ball straight down the fairway most times.  Bad results are purely from a bad swing.  An LPGA pro showed her the 20% tilt, and it seems to work for her.  They don't break, and she rarely loses one.  Pink is her favorite color; not because she's a "girl", but because pink is the easiest color for her to see on most green-ish tee boxes.

I am googling the 20% tilt, see if I can get a hang of it by our round tomorrow morning

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

 

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

 

Link to post
50 minutes ago, mooremikea said:

I have been playing with one for about 2 years.  The stepped version really helps with consistent tee height and they last forever.   I just can't see how you could hit the tee before the ball and if you did the shot would be awful no matter what tee you used.  

Do you use them for driver only, or woods and irons off the tee too?

  • Love 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

 

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

My wife has been playing Martini tees for years, and she hits the ball straight down the fairway most times.  Bad results are purely from a bad swing.  An LPGA pro showed her the 20% tilt, and it seems to work for her.  They don't break, and she rarely loses one.  Pink is her favorite color; not because she's a "girl", but because pink is the easiest color for her to see on most green-ish tee boxes.

Well I have been using it all wrong I guess.

 

  • Like 2

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

 

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

Do you use them for driver only, or woods and irons off the tee too?

I use them for driver only since I have the stepped version and it is way to high for a fairway wood or iron.  Until a couple weeks ago I did not know they had a shorter version for fairway woods and irons.  At some point I might give them a try.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Link to post
11 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

Well I have been using it all wrong I guess.

 

My wife is 64 years old and has been playing golf for 56 years.  She doesn't have trouble with direction, but she has lost a lot of speed over the years.  When she started using the Martini tee and leaning it forward, she gained yardage through more roll... I guess.  

She does have one problem with those tees.  Leaning the ball forward reduces the height of the ball, and if she is a little stiff in the morning, she doesn't stay down through the ball long enough and will top it.  Usually it only takes one time for her to make an adjustment.

They do make shorter Martini tees for par 3's and using less than driver, but she doesn't use those.  Probably reduced drag a little and helps prevent breaking the longer tees.  Personally, they are not for me.

  • Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

My wife is 64 years old and has been playing golf for 56 years.  She doesn't have trouble with direction, but she has lost a lot of speed over the years.  When she started using the Martini tee and leaning it forward, she gained yardage through more roll... I guess.  

She does have one problem with those tees.  Leaning the ball forward reduces the height of the ball, and if she is a little stiff in the morning, she doesn't stay down through the ball long enough and will top it.  Usually it only takes one time for her to make an adjustment.

They do make shorter Martini tees for par 3's and using less than driver, but she doesn't use those.  Probably reduced drag a little and helps prevent breaking the longer tees.  Personally, they are not for me.

Yeah, because of my back problems I had lost 80+ yards from my driver in the past few years, down from average 285 in 2013/2014

I had a fusion last year and I am slowly gaining some yardage back, now averaging about 214 with the driver, so I can most definitely use some help finding extra yards.

I am still learning to deal with the stiffness and aside from the occasional driver high flop shot, I get a lot of low in the face/topped balls, but I am willing to spend a few bucks in a pack and try it to see if I can gain some yardage.

Thank you for the information @Kenny B

  • Like 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

 

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

Yeah, because of my back problems I had lost 80+ yards from my driver in the past few years, down from average 285 in 2013/2014

I had a fusion last year and I am slowly gaining some yardage back, now averaging about 214 with the driver, so I can most definitely use some help finding extra yards.

I am still learning to deal with the stiffness and aside from the occasional driver high flop shot, I get a lot of low in the face/topped balls, but I am willing to spend a few bucks in a pack and try it to see if I can gain some yardage.

Thank you for the information @Kenny B

FYI, my wife started using Martini tees a few years after her L5-S1 fusion in 2008.  She went to an LPGA pro because she had gotten into a few bad habits and lost yards.  She gained a few yards back, but the Martini tee added a little more roll on the end of her drives.  

  • Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

FYI, my wife started using Martini tees a few years after her L5-S1 fusion in 2008.  She went to an LPGA pro because she had gotten into a few bad habits and lost yards.  She gained a few yards back, but the Martini tee added a little more roll on the end of her drives.  

I had the L4-L5 fused, I am still getting used, I was going to get lessons this year, but covid hit so I pushed it back, I am still being cautious about that, I will probably wait to get those lessons next season.

  • Like 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

 

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

 

Link to post
9 hours ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I have also tried the 4 more yards tees

I heard Kenny got 3 more yards one time. 🏌️‍♂️

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

                                                                               :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

                                                                                :edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...