Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver set up gurus

pulledabill

Headed to test drive some new drivers in the morning. Im looking for medium to high flight and generally struggle to get the ball above a low flight. My 5w has an old Mistsubishi redboard with flower that has crazy beautiful ball flight and that shafy is the best feeling shaft Ive ever hit. I believe it is a low kick point. 

If I went high launch head say 11.5 or 12, and combine it with a low kick shaft, in therory would my flight be much higher? It seems like it would. 

What would say a 10.5 with low kick do?  Lower flight Id assume. Mid kick with 12 degrees? What affects  height more. head or shaft?

Just looking for thought while I dig for info on the net. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Headed to test drive some new drivers in the morning. Im looking for medium to high flight and generally struggle to get the ball above a low flight. My 5w has an old Mistsubishi redboard with flower that has crazy beautiful ball flight and that shafy is the best feeling shaft Ive ever hit. I believe it is a low kick point. 
If I went high launch head say 11.5 or 12, and combine it with a low kick shaft, in therory would my flight be much higher? It seems like it would. 
What would say a 10.5 with low kick do?  Lower flight Id assume. Mid kick with 12 degrees? What affects  height more. head or shaft?
Just looking for thought while I dig for info on the net. 

Your best option for higher flight is more loft at impact. Club loft and angle of attack are primary areas to look. Depending on swing speed ball spin helps. Shafts are a different animal and just because a shaft is low/low doesnt mean it won’t produce a high flight. It comes down to how you react to the feel of the club.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Your best option for higher flight is more loft at impact. Club loft and angle of attack are primary areas to look. Depending on swing speed ball spin helps. Shafts are a different animal and just because a shaft is low/low doesnt mean it won’t produce a high flight. It comes down to how you react to the feel of the club.

Bingo and to add on all low/low shafts for example aren’t created equal. There are various EI profiles that will have an impact on how a shaft feels and/or reacts for a person.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree with the above posters. The thing to remember is industry standards for shafts are few and far between.  When a company labels a shaft Low/Low they are comparing it to another shaft of their choosing. Therefore their low/low may actually be mid/mid, mid/high, etc for another company.  

When I fit myself to a driver, I prefer to use loft to control launch and spin. I find a shaft that I can hit the center of the face the most often and use the loft to fine tune from there. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Fitting went well buy didnt buy bevause of AoA needa fixed and a major grip change and set uo change thanks to a fitter that spent over an hour helping me with my grip and swing. 

Went in with high AoA  and open face, left at much lower AoA and closed the face some but not quite there. 225-230  wheni got there, andleft at 275-280 when I left. Super low flight to what i call more of a booming flight

Super pleased and have hope

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Went in with high AoA  and open face, left at much lower AoA and closed the face some but not quite there. 225-230  wheni got there, andleft at 275-280 when I left.

What a great fitter! So, was the reason you didn't buy because you have more work to do with your swing, or that the fitter indicated you've got the proper club and shaft? A 50 yard increase on mechanics is well worth the time with the fitter!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

7 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Fitting went well buy didnt buy bevause of AoA needa fixed and a major grip change and set uo change thanks to a fitter that spent over an hour helping me with my grip and swing. 

Went in with high AoA  and open face, left at much lower AoA and closed the face some but not quite there. 225-230  wheni got there, andleft at 275-280 when I left. Super low flight to what i call more of a booming flight

Super pleased and have hope

Do you have the launch monitor stats for you aoa, launch, spin, land angle, carry and total from before and after?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Do you have the launch monitor stats for you aoa, launch, spin, land angle, carry and total from before and after?

NO....Kicked myself on the way home assuming he could print them. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

6 hours ago, Hadi05 said:

What a great fitter! So, was the reason you didn't buy because you have more work to do with your swing, or that the fitter indicated you've got the proper club and shaft? A 50 yard increase on mechanics is well worth the time with the fitter!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Correct. I work hard for my money withba kid in college and not easy to part with $$$ so in my own head i cant buy  a driver without seeing what i want to see within reason.  I want to correct 40 years of bad habits. lol  I play to a 7 currentky but it is climbing. At 53. i just want to be better. I did love the G410 but vowed not to buy Ping. Scheduling a few lessons so maybe in a few weeks I will buy. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

24 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

NO....Kicked myself on the way home assuming he could print them. 

No worries I was just curious to see the changes 

19 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

No worries I was just curious to see the changes 

It wasn't a constant change as I was having issues find the face at times with the new grip and to be honest, a pretty complete overhaul.  It was a feast or famine change. but I could see the change in flights and length. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX