Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Vero X1 vs Elixr

I received the Vero X1 yesterday and will play my first round with it today.  Attached is a picture of an Avant, Elixr and Vero X1.  The "4th" layer is definitely nano, you can't see it.  The cover is thinner as they stated and the mantle is a bit thicker, we'll see how they perform! 

20200722_071902_resized.jpg

Living life one round at a time! 

I played the Elixr for a good amount of time last year and really enjoyed it. Only issue was driver distant as the compression was so low. Looks like Oncore is addressing that with the Vero. Keep us posted on your opinion of how it is similar and different! 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I played the Vero last weekend and was pretty impressed.  I had a couple of iron shots that flew longer than I was used to so I may be getting less iron spin than my previous ball.  It feels really good off of the driver and so far seems to be high quality.

My bag is a revolving door!

I'm an Elixr player exclusively.  I have the Vero in hand that I'll be testing this weekend.  I'll report back with my thoughts.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

Also I'm kinda surprised what the Vero looks like on the inside.  Thanks for cutting it open. 

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Taylormade Tour Response

Let us know what you think.  I've been an Elixir guy for the past two seasons and hold it in high regard.  I am hoping the Vero introductory price is just that as the appeal for the Elixr was a high quality DTC that was as good or better than anything out there.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I put the Vero through the paces and it's a very good ball. It's slightly harder than the Elixr and spins more. The rest of the performance is very similar to the Elixr. I still prefer the Elixr because I like the slightly softer feel and I actually prefer less spin. I did feel like I was hitting the Vero farther and there is one Par 5 I never reach due to second shot being all carry over water. I did hit that green in 2 during my last round. By farther were only talking a few yards. I think the ball is excellent for someone who needs a little more spin than what the Elixr provides or if you prefer a slightly firmer feel.  Both feel great off the putter.  For me, I'll still be playing the Elixr due to feel and price as I always load up on the deal when I can get 4 dozen for $70.  

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Taylormade Tour Response

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 11:21 AM, SmoothG said:

I put the Vero through the paces and it's a very good ball. It's slightly harder than the Elixr and spins more. The rest of the performance is very similar to the Elixr. I still prefer the Elixr because I like the slightly softer feel and I actually prefer less spin. I did feel like I was hitting the Vero farther and there is one Par 5 I never reach due to second shot being all carry over water. I did hit that green in 2 during my last round. By farther were only talking a few yards. I think the ball is excellent for someone who needs a little more spin than what the Elixr provides or if you prefer a slightly firmer feel.  Both feel great off the putter.  For me, I'll still be playing the Elixr due to feel and price as I always load up on the deal when I can get 4 dozen for $70.  

I would like to think the Vero is temporarily priced at $40/dozen until they can increase production.  For a DTC ball that is as good as anything else, I can't beat the value of the Elixr. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 2 weeks later...

I sidelined the Elixir 2 seasons ago. It was replaced by a Snell MTB, then a Bridgestone RX, Titleist TruFeel, Titleist Tour Soft and a Titleist AVX. Anyone can tell from my list that I change balls whenever I find one that's longer than the one I'm playing. BTW, I play 6 days a week. Still, I've been a big fan of OnCore. ever since I heard about their "Genius" efforts, so when they offered the Vero X1, I gave it a try. I did warn OnCore that I change balls regularly and was admittedly skeptical until I put it into play. WOW! Knowing that the AVX was the longest ball I was playing, the Vero  X1 out drove the AVX by 10 to 15 yards. It has a great feel off my irons and at times will exceed distances that I expect for my set of irons.I'm still dialing it in. Around the green, I can control it very well and it putts well. 

I have only two concerns; 1) it hasn't been approved by the USGA, they told me they expect to hear from the USGA later this month or next and 2) I found the ball held up well for 2 rounds before I put it in my practice pouch. All in All, for now it's my game ball unless the USGA doesn't approve it.

Edited by Rannalph

image.jpeg

On 8/25/2020 at 12:46 PM, Rannalph said:

I sidelined the Elixir 2 seasons ago. It was replaced by a Snell MTB, then a Bridgestone RX, Titleist TruFeel, Titleist Tour Soft and a Titleist AVX. Anyone can tell from my list that I change balls whenever I find one that's longer than the one I'm playing. BTW, I play 6 days a week. Still, I've been a big fan of OnCore. ever since I heard about their "Genius" efforts, so when they offered the Vero X1, I gave it a try. I did warn OnCore that I change balls regularly and was admittedly skeptical until I put it into play. WOW! Knowing that the AVX was the longest ball I was playing, the Vero  X1 out drove the AVX by 10 to 15 yards. It has a great feel off my irons and at times will exceed distances that I expect for my set of irons.I'm still dialing it in. Around the green, I can control it very well and it putts well. 

I have only two concerns; 1) it hasn't been approved by the USGA, they told me they expect to hear from the USGA later this month or next and 2) I found the ball held up well for 2 rounds before I put it in my practice pouch. All in All, for now it's my game ball unless the USGA doesn't approve it.

The Vero X1 is most definitely on the conforming golf ball list. 

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Taylormade Tour Response

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm been playing the Vero more lately and I'm really starting to think its a better ball for my game.  It took a little while to adjust to the firmer feel but I'm squeaking out a few more yards and getting a little more greenside spin.  I don't think I'd pay almost double for the Vero over the Elixr but if I could find a good sale I'd definitely stock up.  One thing I noticed with both Oncore balls is that they stain pretty easily.  I've notice grass stains on the ball and they don't clean up even after scrubbing with some soap and water.  Anyone else noticed this and does it happen with other urethane balls?

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Taylormade Tour Response

• 4 months later...

Had 6 weeks off fighting Covid then Walking Pneumonia which def had an affect on my game. So, with a couple Elixirs in my closet, I ventured out with them yesterday. Noted a bit of shortness off the driver and extra rollout on the greens. Shot 41/47:88 but would not say the Elixir is the ball for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 1/16/2021 at 9:38 PM, Rod123 said:

Hello Smooth G,

Can you tell me where to find the Elixer's 4 Dz for $70? I can't seem to find them anywhere at that price and very interested in trying these balls. 

Thank You,

Rod

Rod hoping I can help. Go to the OnCore website place your order and use the word SCHOTT for 15% off. Not sure if it works with the deals they have going but it's worth a try

Driver-Honma TW747

3 wood-Tour Edge CBX 119

Irons Tour Edge EXS

Putter-SeeMore SB 20 Offset shaft

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2020 at 5:36 AM, jstcynske said:

I received the Vero X1 yesterday and will play my first round with it today.  Attached is a picture of an Avant, Elixr and Vero X1.  The "4th" layer is definitely nano, you can't see it.  The cover is thinner as they stated and the mantle is a bit thicker, we'll see how they perform! 

20200722_071902_resized.jpg

I just got a dozen of the new VeroX 1. I really think they sold Elixr balls with VERO X1 covers!
What do you guys think?

OnCore.jpg

OnCore cut.jpg

Shawn Stone

@Callaway Golf

Mavrik Driver, 3 Wood, 3 Hybrid

@Bridgestonegolf 

J15 DPF 4-PW

MD4 wedges 50, 54, 58

@labgolfputters

Directed Force 

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe a stupid question. Is the Vero more spin off the tee or around the greens?

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

3 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Maybe a stupid question. Is the Vero more spin off the tee or around the greens?

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Around the green. 

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Taylormade Tour Response

That ball got Gary Players son in trouble last week

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

18 hours ago, TBT said:

That ball got Gary Players son in trouble last week

I mean, I'd say Gary Player's son got himself in trouble last week... 😎

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review