TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: SkyCaddie LX5 Watch

10 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Alright I'm gonna get a question or two fired out to you guys right away...

For those of you that currently use some shot tracking tech, Arccos or Shotscope etc.  Do you plan on using both during your rounds or can you see yourself not using the shot tracking features with the watch?

Who plans on using this also as an everyday watch? 

Can’t answer the first question ... but I’m definitely curious to see the comparison from other testers regarding that. 

And honestly, I do plan on wearing as a daily watch as well. Based on the pictures with the silver face, it’s look really nice. I have several dress watches for work, but outside of an old Timex watch from Target that needs a battery replacement, I don’t currently have an everyday watch. 

Plus, if it can give me score updates during the Fall for my Dolphins 🐬 over the Patriots ... I’m sold! 🙌🏼 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

Can’t answer the first question ... but I’m definitely curious to see the comparison from other testers regarding that. 
And honestly, I do plan on wearing as a daily watch as well. Based on the pictures with the silver face, it’s look really nice. I have several dress watches for work, but outside of an old Timex watch from Target that needs a battery replacement, I don’t currently have an everyday watch. 
Plus, if it can give me score updates during the Fall for my Dolphins over the Patriots ... I’m sold!  

If it’s the game down in Miami I wouldn’t be surprised. Hahaha

Y’all think I’m one of them Boston Sports fans that doesn’t realize other teams can win too huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

3 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

If it’s the game down in Miami I wouldn’t be surprised. Hahaha

Y’all think I’m one of them Boston Sports fans that doesn’t realize other teams can win too huh? emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Yessir! We’ve had y’alls number the past few season when it’s at home. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

Yessir! We’ve had y’alls number the past few season when it’s at home. 

The media up here will tell you it’s due to the heat and humidity... because apparently that doesn’t exist up here in the summer.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 hours ago, TBT said:

I’m curious to know, how many of you have played with a watch on before?

Do you think that will present a challenge?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

All the time.  No issues whatsoever. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

10 hours ago, TBT said:

I have played with a watch in the past.  If the buttons are in the right place it should be fine.  I did have one that every swing I would hit a button and it would beep.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Just now, JoshAndersonGolf said:

I have played with a watch in the past.  If the buttons are in the right place it should be fine.  I did have one that every swing I would hit a button and it would beep.  

I played with GPS watches , i think since they first came out. If your not used to wearing a watch while you play, it could be a little getting used . Like Josh mention some may have button in a certain way that you may turn off the watch or hit a different action button, but is not a regular issue.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

OK, late to the party...about me: 

My name is Doug.  I'm 45, I started golfing in 2011.  This is my third MGS product review 🙂.  I reviewed Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 grips, and Lynx Black Cat Irons.  I golf in the spring, summer, fall.  I snowboard in the winter.  My wife golfs and skis.  It works out really well 🙂 

Last summer I was probably a 20-21 hcp.  A tweak to my swing at the range got me hitting the ball straight and far again.  I'm currently a 16.5 and hopefully dropping.  My strength is probably putting.  My current weakness is sand.  I had a sand shot that pretty much guaranteed I'd be on the green but it has gotten away from me.  Many bladed shots recently.    I'll answer some of the questions we were provided, and then get to some of yours. 

Do you play mostly one course or a lot of different courses?

Lately I play our course, Basking Ridge CC in Basking Ridge, NJ.  It is longer than average by the numbers.  I have been playing the senior tees since my swing fell apart a few years ago, and have since stuck with that until I shoot a 79.  We also have a White/Gold combo on the scorecard that is more in line with white tees at public courses.   I play those or white in league events.    The county courses by me are really good though; and, farther north is Crystal Springs resort, which has 6 great courses in its surrounding vicinity. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey are standouts there.  I used to live across the highway from Black Bear in Franklin, NJ, so I've also played that one a ton. 

Conservative or aggressive play? Aim at pins or the center of the green?

That depends on the situation.  I will lay up if I need to.  I'll usually go for anything inside 175 yds,  but, I know that from 75-80 yds my chances to hit the green are high.  I've been aiming more at center of green and let it work towards the pin, I miss more right.  

What distance methods are your currently using? And what criteria is important to you in evaluating this watch?

I currently use mostly my Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder.  I also have Arccos, but it's usually in my pocket unless I need a front or back reading, or it's dusk and I can't actually see the pin. I also have a Garmin S2 watch which works great.  I got the watch before the scope.  The S2 just gives green distances front, middle, back but it's quite accurate.  It will also calculate layup distances, and measure shots.   It has zero graphics, just numbers.  Courses are found by GPS somehow which is cool, no software updates.  It is simple and effective.  I just prefer the scope.  The watch battery will occasionally drain before the round ends.  It has a weird proprietary charging attachment. 

I have a Samsung Frontier S3 smart watch.  That thing is neat and I often wondered about installing golf apps on it.  Arccos seems to want me to connect to it for something but I have no idea what Arccos does with it, I suppose a tracking alternative to my phone.  The watch is awesome, but the second I connect it to my phone it just wants more and more updates, all, the time.   I keep it disconnected and just use it as a fancy pedometer.   

So, for this new SC watch.  I would obviously like for it to be accurate, and simple.  I'm hoping to not have to toggle through prompts to get a distance to a bunker or front of a green.  It needs to be easy to charge.  The current Samsung micro usb interface would be awesome for charging if it has that.  I have drawers full of different charger wires, I love stuff with standardized charging interfaces.  It needs to last more than 18 holes, otherwise I'm not wearing it besides on the course.   If somehow the watch actually knows where the pin is on the green, that would rule.  I'm not expecting that, but hey!   We do have one green that is over 100 yards long 🙂    It also needs to be stable, not prone to crashing, and not prone to wanting or requiring constant updates.    The only thing holding my Bushnell scope back is its battery, so as long as I have spares I'm good.   

Ok,  I'll go back and read your questions 🙂 

Once again, thanks so much for the opportunity.  

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

I currently play my 40mm size Apple Watch and it doesn’t bug me. I’m interested to compare the LX5 in size to the Apple Watch and if it is much bigger, it could present a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

12 hours ago, TBT said:

Before getting Arccos, I used the Garmin Approach S2. I never really had any issues playing with a watch on my wrist. 

It is kind of a "training aid" in a way because when I am cupping my right wrist in my back swing, I'll end up leaving the club face open and push or slice to the left. It is easier to feel that wrist cupping when wearing a watch.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

23 hours ago, Lacassem said:

I also have a question on those that will be using everyday. Looks like a watch that would be "waterproof" I do not see anything on SkyCaddie website? Can A) anyone find out if this is actually waterproof and B) would you risk swimming with this?

For me if I ever get a watch it will be something like this that I can use for golf and multi-use because I do not really like things on my hands/wrist and I would have to wear it everyday to get used to it...That includes swimming.

I remember reading on the SkyCaddie website that it is partially waterproof up to some value, but I personally will not be using it while swimming. Simply because I don't prefer having things on my wrist while I swim or anywhere near water. But we'll see, won't know till I get it on my wrist. 

Most Recent Testing: :Sub70: 949x PRO Hybrid 

In my  :callaway-small: 2019 X-Cart Bag :  

:taylormade-small: M3 10.5* (TENSEI Blue 6R)

:benhogan-small: GS53 3W 14* (Review)

:mizuno-small: CLK 2017 4H 22* 

:taylormade-small: M6 Irons 4-PW (KBS MAX 85g Stiff Steel Shafts, Std Length & Lie)

AW, SW: :Sub70: Forged Satin 48*, 54* 

LW::vokey-small: SM6 60*

:wilson_staff_small:  Infinite Putter Michigan Ave 34"

:bridgestone-small: e6  

Current Tech:

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Rangefinder

:skycaddie: LX5 GPS Smartwatch (Review)

13 hours ago, TBT said:

I currently play with an old Garmin vivoactive on whenever I am playing and it does not bother me at all. I don't suspect to have any issues with wearing the watch while I play. Although, I do remember hearing (via the No Putts Giving podcast on MGS) that wearing a watch actually decreases club head speed by 1 MPH (equals around 2 yards of carry). I'll probably barely be able to tell that amount of difference but time will tell. 

:taylormade-small: M6 Irons 4-PW (KBS MAX 85g Stiff Steel Shafts, Std Length & Lie)

Current Tech:

On 7/22/2020 at 10:59 AM, B.Boston said:

For those of you that currently use some shot tracking tech, Arccos or Shotscope etc.  Do you plan on using both during your rounds or can you see yourself not using the shot tracking features with the watch?

I use Arccos for tracking, I use a Bushnell Tour V3 for my yardages.  For my rounds I'll use Arccos's yardages just for accuracy comparisons if time allows (having to open up and log into phone every time to get yardage).   

I also have a Garmin Approach S2.  So, I'll try wearing both watches, if it's not too restrictive, don't want to be this guy:

Tin-Cup.jpg.5c771522774e9f647a5c022bdaef0f6b.jpg

I have no plans to use it as an every day watch.  Though, I'm not against it! 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Intro: 

Thank you to the guys at MGS and SkyGolf for the opportunity to test the LX5. Very excited to get my hands on this piece of technology. So I guess this is when I talk a little bit about myself so here we go. I initially started playing golf when I was around the age of 6 (played a couple junior tournaments) but then got away from the game until about a year ago (age 22, very long hiatus). Started playing on the weekends with my father and quickly got addicted to the game again. I became intrigued by golf equipment and the new technology that came with it. I currently play off around 17 and play pretty much all over Central Florida.  I mostly play conservatively but also sometimes aggressively if the pin suits my eye. But can never go wrong with the center of the green (solid putter of the ball so most of the time leads to 2 putts). That's pretty much all I got about myself and my game.

Distance Finding Methods: 

I currently use my Garmin vivoactive for front, middle, and back yardages and also the 18Birdies app occasionally to find specific distances to various hazards or lay up spots. I also have a Precision Pro rangefinder on its way so I will be utilizing that as well.

Criteria for Watch Review: 

In the LX5 I will be looking for its accuracy, ease of access, and reliability. I feel as if these three factors will serve as a solid baseline for my review. Additionally, I will assess the aesthetic of the watch as "bonus points" in my review. 

Current Tech:

On 7/22/2020 at 10:59 AM, B.Boston said:

B.Boston - I currently use the Precision Pro NX7 Pro Laser with slope capabilities in conjunction with thegrint, 18birdies and golfpad (I rotate which app I'm using just to see which one I like the best).  I will be using the LX5 primarily and the NX7 Pro to verify distances.  The real advantage that a GPS device has is when you can't laser the flagstick on uphill approaches that you can't see the stick or around doglegs.  I don't believe the watch has shot tracking capabilities like Arccos or ShotScope since that would require sensors attached to the club and there is no option for that at this time.  It does have a mark function that can mark distances for one swing you make I believe. I used to wear a watch everyday so making the jump to wearing the LX5 isn't that big of a deal for me.  If it will make me look more business like when I roll out of bed in my PJ's for that Zoom meeting then yeah, I'll be wearing it everyday 😄😅🤣

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

On 7/22/2020 at 11:31 AM, Lacassem said:

I also have a question on those that will be using everyday. Looks like a watch that would be "waterproof" I do not see anything on SkyCaddie website? Can A) anyone find out if this is actually waterproof and B) would you risk swimming with this?

For me if I ever get a watch it will be something like this that I can use for golf and multi-use because I do not really like things on my hands/wrist and I would have to wear it everyday to get used to it...That includes swimming.

Lacassem - The watch isn't waterproof, only water resistant which means it can get a little wet but not in the pool/ocean/river wet.  It doesn't have any IP certifications for waterproofing.  I thought the same thing that I can use it everyday and not worry about it but it will need to come off when I'm around the pool.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

13 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Lacassem - The watch isn't waterproof, only water resistant which means it can get a little wet but not in the pool/ocean/river wet.  It doesn't have any IP certifications for waterproofing.  I thought the same thing that I can use it everyday and not worry about it but it will need to come off when I'm around the pool.

MDGolfHacker

Yea I would jump in....whooooooops

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

18 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Yea I would jump in....whooooooops

As Josh Ross said and per SkyGolf...  

IS THE LX5 WATERPROOF?

Q) Is the LX5 Waterproof?

A) The SkyCaddie LX5 is rated at 3 ATM water resistance. It is suitable for conditions typically encountered during golf to include splashes, rain, snow and casual water contact. It is not recommended for swimming, snorkeling or diving.”

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

5 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

As John Ross said and per SkyGolf...  

IS THE LX5 WATERPROOF?

Q) Is the LX5 Waterproof?

A) The SkyCaddie LX5 is rated at 3 ATM water resistance. It is suitable for conditions typically encountered during golf to include splashes, rain, snow and casual water contact. It is not recommended for swimming, snorkeling or diving.”

The number of times I've been called John Ross in my life is crazy, haha. As a kid I would get trophies, mentions in the newspaper, and even birthday cards that said John instead of Josh. I'm used to it now!

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg LINK.1 34"
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

12 hours ago, Josh Ross said:

The number of times I've been called Josh Ross in my life is crazy, haha. As a kid I would get trophies, mentions in the newspaper, and even birthday cards that said John instead of Josh. I'm used to it now!

Sorry man.. Didn't mean to mistype your name!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

6 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Sorry man.. Didn't mean to mistype your name!

MDGolfHacker

No problem at all, it's always funny to me! 

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

11 hours ago, Josh Ross said:

The number of times I've been called John Ross in my life is crazy, haha. As a kid I would get trophies, mentions in the newspaper, and even birthday cards that said John instead of Josh. I'm used to it now!

Josh or John (lol), we almost had the same clubs in the bag at one point..

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)

10 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Josh or John (lol), we almost had the same clubs in the bag at one point..

Yeah no kidding! I tried the LST and liked it but fared better with the ST190. But I'm soon to have a SZ 3 wood, I've got the CLK and Mizzy irons and MTB-X. Probably going back to the RTX wedges soon as well. Now we'll have the LX5 in common too!

Thank you so much, MyGolfSpy and SkyCaddie for this opportunity to put the LX5 through it's paces. 

A quick hit about me. I learned how to play golf in the 7th grade from my dad on a par 3 course. I have become obsessed with the game and am lucky that my family and most of my friends enjoy golf nearly as much as I do.

I have tried over the last two seasons to bring my handicap down from a 13-14 to a 10. It's funny how quickly this game humbles you. One would think that taking 3-4 points off of your handicap is a relatively straight forward proposition, but I have learned to swallow many humility pills along the way. I am trending down to a 12, and should be there by the end of this season which is a positive.

My largest area of weakness right now is in between my ears. I'll find a way to turn bogey into double or triple by trying to do something I saw on TV. (Pro-tip: don't try stuff you haven't practiced if you care about your score)

When it comes to devices for measuring distance on the course, I have used the Garmin S2 and Arccos.

I had no problems with the Garmin S2, but the data provided is very limited. You only receive distances to the front, middle, and back of the green as well as distances to layup to 150yds out.

I really enjoy using Arccos as a rangefinder as the entire hole is mapped, and you are able to drag the target to various hazards so you know the distance needed to carry or layup. I also appreciate that Arccos takes into account slope and wind to give you a "plays like" distance. I have become very used to this information and am curious how the LX5 will stack up in that respect.

The downside to Arccos is the need (until a week ago) to carry your phone in your pocket while playing golf. I have become used to the feeling of it in my pockets, but strongly dislike the potential distraction that it provides. Turning off notifications during a round is a smart thing to do, but if play is slow, it is all too easy to start scrolling through social media, or reading the latest news articles. Also, the shot tracking ability in Arccos has become very lackluster. I find that my best data collection happens after a round when I sit down at my computer and manually add or adjust the shots from my round. 

For the LX5, I am excited to test the many robust features that the devices boasts. It will be interesting to see the layout of the hole shrunk down to 1.39" (size of the watch face). I'm also curious of the accuracy (duh) as well as how I play with the loss of the "plays like" information. The fitness information seems like a no brainer for a smart watch, and I will be comparing that data to my Fossil smart watch. (I think it's Gen 2).

Ask as many questions as you can so we can provide you, the forum, the best information possible.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

17 minutes ago, Josh Ross said:

Yeah no kidding! I tried the LST and liked it but fared better with the ST190. But I'm soon to have a SZ 3 wood, I've got the CLK and Mizzy irons and MTB-X. Probably going back to the RTX wedges soon as well. Now we'll have the LX5 in common too!

I had the Mizuno ST 190 3Wood until a few weeks ago and I swapped over to Cobra SZ 3 Wood.. (it has been fantastical)
And I had the Mizuno Driver .. by  numbers similar to the LST but I was hitting it more consistently than the Mizuno.

True LX5 will be in common soon

On 7/22/2020 at 1:51 PM, bvmagic said:

Curious to hear how these perform and how the battery holds up.  I used to have a Skycaddie SG5, but stop playing as frequently and didn't make sense to keep up with the subscription fee.  Plus back then I had to load each course onto the Skycaddie from my PC.  Just use an old Bushnell rangefinder now.  I do miss the simplicity of the skycaddie, just glance for the front / middle / back yardages and go.  

I was a long time skycaddie SG-5 user as well.  Loved it and it actually would last through 3 back to back rounds the first few years I had it. I only stopped using it as I started to use lasers a bit more. Switching back to a GPS device when I tested Arccos, but didn't like having the phone in my front pocket (this was two years ago so they have other options now).

On 7/22/2020 at 9:26 PM, TBT said:

When I first started golfing, i wore a watch.  I stopped it as the metal band dug into my wrist.  I don't think I'll have the same problem with the LX5 as band isn't made of metal and is most likely much lighter than my current watches.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Introduction:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24440-official-cobraconnect-challenge-2018/?do=findComment&comment=434131

No sense in redoing my intro since I can't change my past 😄  what I can tell you is that I've been around MGS since 2016 and have been fortunate enough to have been selected to test a few items.  Some updates since that intro. I used to play a variety of courses within Maryland, Delaware and Virginia, but I've scaled back a bit and now only play in Maryland, usually at Compass Pointe which has two 18  courses.  I tend to try and think my way around the course as of late but that darn swing won't cooperate😆 so my style of play tends to mostly be conservative.  If I feel my swing is on, then I might get more aggressive.  Since I switched to the laser, I found that I aim for the pin instead of thinking where I want the ball to land and end up.  It's cost me quite a few shots. I love the Precision Pro NX7 Pro with slope that I use, but there have been times where I can't see the flag or I'm at a dogleg and really need to figure a good layup distance.  So, testing the SkyCaddie LX-5 GPS watch will hopefully alleviate this issue and get me the info I need.  Since I've actually own and used a SkyCaddie SG-5 for many years prior to switching to the Precision Pro NX7 Pro, I'll be comparing that device with the LX5 as well as with the Precision Pro NX7 Pro.  I also used Arccos in the past so I can answer questions comparing that as well with the LX5.  Feel free to post the questions once we start rolling out our impressions of the LX5!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Broke out my old Bushnell watch this weekend to see how it still worked. Worked very well.

Easily found the course and was right on accuracy wise.

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Ok testers - what is the one function on the LX5 that you are looking forward to the most ?  For me, it's actually not having to get a separate device to check for yardage!  As a previous Skycaddie SG-5 user, it will be nice to just look at my wrist to get the same info I was getting instead of walking over to the cart, pulling out the SG-5, getting the info, putting it back into the cart then swinging.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

1 hour ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Ok testers - what is the one function on the LX5 that you are looking forward to the most ?  For me, it's actually not having to get a separate device to check for yardage!  As a previous Skycaddie SG-5 user, it will be nice to just look at my wrist to get the same info I was getting instead of walking over to the cart, pulling out the SG-5, getting the info, putting it back into the cart then swinging.

MDGolfHacker

You're playing partenerrs are going to appreicate it as well 🙂  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12