TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: SkyCaddie LX5 Watch

13 hours ago, mikeanthony said:

Like everyone else, no issues with the battery on the watch I rcvd. And as @knightsofnii mentioned, I’m curious if there is any Bluetooth connection in the background that may be draining the battery. 

Now that I’m back at the office, the watch unfortunately has been nonexistent on my wrist. ☹️ Prior to starting back up to work, I’ve begun to enjoy the watch from an everyday at home standpoint, but it’s just too big to wear with my work clothes. So now its been sitting in our bathroom drawer for the past 10+ days now.

Did play my local home course yesterday and completely forgot to grab it as well ... and yet I didn’t really miss it at the same time. And to one of the commenter’s point from an earlier post, I too enjoyed playing without the watch for a round. I’ve gotten about 8 rounds in with the watch and have no complaints. 

Also, I really wish everything that the LX5 offers was packed into and available via an app on an Apple Watch. I remember back in ‘05 or so that I was carrying around a cellphone, a digital camera, and a Palm Pilot ... now we have iPhones that act as a phone, an amazing camera, wallet, and a whole bunch of other things all at once. And I can’t help but feel the golf GPS watch technology is somewhat in the same boat and will fall by the wayside. I could be wrong.

I've had the same thought multiple times. If they could adapt this technology into a watch app for smart watches, it could be a great way to get out of the grind of having to constantly sell hardware. You could use your phone as the extremely popular LX400 combined with your watch for quick distances. Similar to an Arccos but with more accurate numbers and the detail of the course contouring.

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

Played another round today, the first picture shows the watch at 100%  The second picture was taken after the round down to 52%.  Not as bad as the other day but I don't know if I could squeeze two rounds out of this.  Todays round was about 3.5 hours.  I did have a lot of issues with it today though.  The watch took a while to find my home course (I have the video of my cheap Garmin and this side by side finding the course).  After the LX5 FINALLY found the course I had already shot the flag on my approach shot with my laser AND compared it to the Garmin yardage.  Yes, it took that long to find the course.  I digress.  After the first hole, I entered my score into the LX5 then it just froze.  It would not let me go to any other hole.  I could navigate around hole 1, but could not do anything else golf related.  By hole three I reset the watch and didn't have any further issues with it after that.  Strange though.  I'm thinking I am the only one that is having issues with this thing. 

image.png.a02c5d6420a8a87c50c60445d6571cb8.pngimage.png.5919f5340b8843598fd016c8f61e0cc5.png

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I will say that after this weekend of golfing I really do like the watch, but I do not know how accurate it is.  Multiple times when I would laser a flag the yardage to the green would be way off (by 10 or more yards).  I will try to get some photos of when this happens (hard to remember sometimes when playing). Everything else about the watch is great.  Played 36 Friday, 27 Saturday and 18 on Sunday.  Battery was almost gone on Friday after two rounds, but I charged the watch that night and it was ready to go Saturday morning.  There are a ton of features on this watch and I feel it needs to be a little faster in response.  I am a fast player, and I do not like waiting for the watch to catch up. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

After a handfulnof sunny rounds, the spray sunblock and other junk accumulated on the face. 

I recall reading a warning about not getting sunscreen on the face.  😞

I've tried a few things to remove what's left of the residue.  Does anyone know of a good cleaner?  Soapy water nor windex wont do the job.  I dont have any screen or lens cleaner and a bit scared to try alcohol.  What's left is gritty, and I thought maybe the face was pitted, but I can scrape it away with a fingernail. 

20200922_072652.jpg.ae0d0ac8796ffb989cc9e909ec998cad.jpg

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

8 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

First thought would be to use a good amount of what caused the residue to emulsify it and remove the lot completely.  Usually the "propellant" or liquid emulsion that is effective at applying the substance is what will again move it once it has evaporated and done it's job the first time.  Probably not enough surface to say, try a test spot to see what happens.

Just a thought, best wishes for successfully restoring the surface.

Hah! Thanks! I'll try it.  

I recall that's how you get Sharpie ink off of things.  🙂 

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

1 hour ago, knightsofnii said:

After a handfulnof sunny rounds, the spray sunblock and other junk accumulated on the face. 

Also be careful of bug spray around watch faces... experience talking.  Heat some distilled water (natures solvent) and see if this will remove it.  It might take several or more applications to soften it up and break the bond.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

Reading FIXURDIVOT's comment, looked a little more into it.  Would seem a replacement might be necessary and if you have the login credentials (thinking as a SkyCaddie owner you might have those) this site might give more insight https://web.skygolf.com/support/faq/repair+service+options

These faces are not the standard ground glass of our youth, my earlier comment was probably way off base and out of bounds.  Who knows with the plastics that are easily confused with more durable substances.

Was that the link you intended to attach?  It just goes to a page that has options for returning a product. 

I was able to get more off, but it's slow going.  I did try spraying more sunscreen on, lol, waited about 15 seconds then tried wiping off with soapy water, didn't do much. 

So far, just liquid hand soap on a damp screen seems to be sort of working, but it's taking a ton of time and elbow grease.  Liquid hand soap/dish soap is the only thing that cleans my transitions glasses well.  

Previous forum tests:

+1 for the water resistance of this watch?   LOL   

Previous forum tests:

+1 for dish soap..maybe leave it on there for a few minutes to break down the sunblock then use a soft bristled toothbrush to "scrub" the remaining sunblock on the face.  That's what i would try...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

6 hours ago, knightsofnii said:

I've tried a few things to remove what's left of the residue.  Does anyone know of a good cleaner?  Soapy water nor windex wont do the job.  I dont have any screen or lens cleaner and a bit scared to try alcohol.  What's left is gritty, and I thought maybe the face was pitted, but I can scrape it away with a fingernail. 

20200922_072652.jpg.ae0d0ac8796ffb989cc9e909ec998cad.jpg

Massive bummer! So sorry to read that and appreciate you making us aware of that, for I’m a spray on sunscreen user as well. 

Not sure it’ll work, but I use this product on all our devices and it absolutely works wonders ... to be fair, haven’t tried it on the watch.

EA0B86BF-9352-4B6B-A834-21FCC3E5B1EE.jpeg

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

So I got almost all of it off.  I rubbed in liquid hand soap onto the damp lens, for a good minute, then put another glob on there and rubbed that in a little, let it sit about 20 minutes, and rubbed more, eventually using my fingernail to scrape the specs off while the soap was still applied.  

Now I get why they had the warning.  I didn't initially directly spray it with sunscreen, but from now on I'll make sure to remove the watch before applying.  PITA.  🤦‍♀️🤪

Previous forum tests:

3 hours ago, knightsofnii said:

So I got almost all of it off.  I rubbed in liquid hand soap onto the damp lens, for a good minute, then put another glob on there and rubbed that in a little, let it sit about 20 minutes, and rubbed more, eventually using my fingernail to scrape the specs off while the soap was still applied.  

Now I get why they had the warning.  I didn't initially directly spray it with sunscreen, but from now on I'll make sure to remove the watch before applying.  PITA.  🤦‍♀️🤪

I use a GPS watch for running (it's a Suunto that doesn't have golf functionality) and reading this I'm glad I paid an extra $80 for the sapphire version. I've fallen down and smashed it on rocks, covered it with all kinds of sunscreen and bug spray, and the screen still looks brand new (the case and band not so much!).

Although thinking about it now, I bet I could find a template and create a custom program that would give me yardages on my home course... might have to give that a shot!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

My review is up!

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Just added my final review. Get your popcorn out cause I didn't hold back.

Vice Golf Pro Plus

On 7/22/2020 at 10:25 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

[placeholder]

Not pretty!  Bit long but honest.

SkyCaddie LX5 – Official MGS Forum Review by Ballplayer002003

Intro

I would first like to say THANK YOU to MyGolfSpy for giving me the opportunity to test out the SkyCaddie LX5 GPS watch.  I am humbled and honored to have been chosen as a 2020 tester.  Thank you again!

About me, that’s why you are here right?!  I am an avid GPS watch wearer.  Is that a word...wearer?  Well, I wear GPS watches as my primary distance device.  I bought the Garmin S20 a few years ago and that has been my go to for a while now.  I also have a Bushnell range finder that I will pull out on occasion.  

The Personal Questions

As many of you know, I am one of a few members on here from Delaware.  I have been playing golf for over 20 years now, and would still not consider myself a “real” golfer.  I am still a baseball player at heart.  Being a former baseball player, I am aggressive, it is VERY RARE that I lay up.  Actually who am I kidding...I NEVER lay up.  

The Golf Questions

I am a single digit handicap, I think I have crept up to a 7 due to Covid and not getting out as much as I would like.  I guess there’s always next year to bring it back down to a 5 or below.  Anyway, I am a long ball hitter, and strike my woods and long irons fairly well and consistent. 

Now, as far as technology goes, I would say I am not a tech savvy person.  I mean I can operate my iPhone and Waze.  I have a Firestick, but I had to watch YouTube to find how it works.  However, I thought I had a leg up since I already use a golf watch so maybe I will go with a novice at best.  Yeah, that sounds better, I am a tech novice. 

First Impressions

“Golf’s Smartest, Brightest and Fastest watch, nothing comes close”.  This is their tag line, and I will have tons to say about it in the following paragraphs.  Clean, simple, athletic and stylish are all words I can us to describe my initial thoughts of this watch. D39D1z9OBlhKxjdcCqIjR5LatPW7Sx8IPIk0wbmzs0casoNqCB33maNaSgZg2nIR0Poo3G6JRbWJAWd_EygMqADyLZSdwrDfvm9Mds0O_Axpft9sydsA2XBjslXiwR7yTn4gy5w8I could wear this everyday. 

Now as stated on their webpage, “Golf’s Smartest, Brightest and Fastest watch, nothing comes close”....well it IS bright!  This watch has a very clear crisp display that is packed full of colors.  I loved this feature with the LX5.  The screen is large and easy to read in both full sun and dusk.  SkyCaddie hit a hole in one with the screen and resolution.  The face is large so someone with meaty fingers, like myself, will still have no problems navigating through the touch screen features.  I thought the face was large, but also thick.  The large face doesn’t bother me, in fact, I like it.  The part that bothered me was how thick this watch was.  It was like a mega stuffed oreo. 

Looks & Feel (9 out of 10 points) 

I think the watch looks great.  You can choose between multiple watch face options ranging from a classic watch style to a more modern sleek face and anything in between.  This is the face I liked the most, again, there are multiple choices to suit everyone’s various tastes.  WZFtWBP6SctL8gPOgXERJRSD9OeijwNvhdceKGBFECyhq8vRn_8cUH6Zhg0X2C3q8AxTC7O1l6V3hfFFR4IRA4X2aR6sa86TtOpELDRKel-0J1_t0IU-z06jnyttfGjxu9j98AMv

The strap is soft and snug and the watch is very light for its size.  I also am a fan of the beveled edges of this watch, another classic touch from SkyCaddie.

Setup (5 out of 15 points)

The LX5 was easy to set up straight out of the box.  Pretty straight forward, which is a bonus for me since again, I am a tech novice.  I am EXTREMELY impressed with how FAST this watch charges.  Actually the fast charging time is the only reason why I scored a 5 and not lower.  The faults for me are the battery life.  I had one round (granted it was a long round of 4.5 hours) that the watch went from 100% down to 1%.  I expect to have the battery last for at a MINIMUM of 2 rounds!    

Accuracy (12 out of 15 points)

I found the SkyCaddie watch to be fairly accurate, although I did get a couple of wacky numbers from time to time.  A lot of rounds I used my Garmin, the LX5 and my laser to see how close they all matched up.  For the most part they were all within about 5-6 yards from each other (except for this picture).  In today’s round, I shot 103 with the laser, however the LX5 showed 35  to the middle.  That should not happen.  b0zdN173f6v5XDOAY_Ue6GWiu7UWk_u7rKUpzPdyt2CJDDthAvIz8LX_nGGRU0yCMBCEC39drV9bpMvEOFvMkDYlHl1cJeQwqOgy18r0lWdStzxNkHtMm6k87XEdn5IKJbfa5kFz

On-Course (10 out of 30 points)

For me, this really missed the mark.  I wanted to like this watch, it’s bright, big and beautiful.  But I had so much go wrong every time I used it.  “Golf’s Smartest, Brightest and Fastest watch, nothing comes close”.  Remember their tag line?  For starters, the watch takes way too long to find the course, even when it’s your home course.  This usually takes between 5-10 minutes.  I have also had days where the LX5 couldn’t find my home course even when I used it the day before.  So obviously not the fastest.  Once the course is found and you play a hole, if you are keeping score the score card pops up.  You enter your score by a plus and minus button which is easy.  It then asks about number of putts and fairway hit.  The watch will then either go onto the next hole or it may stay on the previous hole and you have to manually go back into the menu and tell it to go to the next hole.  This is annoying.  Another feature that I wish this watch did not have is the fact that if the watch THINKS you should be done a hole it will ask you by buzzing then the screen will display ARE YOU DONE WITH THIS HOLE?  Many times I am, and will say yes but then if you do that, you cannot enter your score, it automatically takes you to the next hole.  To enter your score you again, have to go back into the menu, scroll back to the previous hole and enter all the info and then tell the watch you are on the new hole again.  This is too much work.  Keep it simple.  I also found that the watch would shut off multiple times per round.  When this happens you then have to hit the resume button...well then it takes another 5-10 minutes to find the course again.  Unreal!  For me, I lost faith in this watch.  It wasn’t going to be ready with the information when I needed it quickly.  Something was always causing my focus to be on the watch and not the game.  

X3lVb_DGd-rIPJcPqPMCWroE-LwkYmGeNiAS5MK0stk-H7wdRGSoMUnHym8HcEuAE6SiqT83wtC3T9NXlNSdzih-caIEENEfYYcHYgDBgWH6G5iJUe7M82No5mrqbVTXHhnblPEJ

Miscellaneous (4 out of 10 points)

Why so low...well, for one you cannot receive any text alerts from your phone with this watch.  SkyCaddie is asking for $350 for this watch, for that, I want the option of receiving text alerts.  Secondly, I am not a fan of SkyCaddie charging a membership fee.  You get a 3 year membership included, but what happens after that?  Garmin doesn’t charge anything, not sure why SkyCaddie does.  Lastly, to get the full use of the LX5 you need to link it to the SkyCaddie App called SKYGOLF 360.  This is where the data of your round goes to be analyzed, but the app is very slow, much like the watch.  It is clunky and lags a great deal.  I would rather use The Grint to do all of this, it is much smoother.  

Play it or Trade it? (5 out of 20 points)

Trade trade trade.  No doubt.  Run away from this watch.  I had a member guest tourney this past weekend and after the third hole I took the watch off and put it in the bag.  It was too much of a hassle.  I like a few features of this watch but not enough to justify spending that kind of money.  

Conclusion

In conclusion, I cannot and will not recommend this watch.  I found the software to be too glitchy with very short battery life.  For the amount of money SkyCaddie is charging I want texting features, I want the software to be more user friendly, I want it to be faster, I want the battery to last more than 1 round and I want the watch to be a bit thinner.  For me, this watch is like making birdie on the first hole, your expectations get high, yet when reality sets in, you wind up not breaking 100.  

Final Score: 45 out of 100

SkyCaddie LX5 – Official MGS Forum Review by Ballplayer002003

Intro

I would first like to say THANK YOU to MyGolfSpy for giving me the opportunity to test out the SkyCaddie LX5 GPS watch.  I am humbled and honored to have been chosen as a 2020 tester.  Thank you again!

About me, that’s why you are here right?!  I am an avid GPS watch wearer.  Is that a word...wearer?  Well, I wear GPS watches as my primary distance device.  I bought the Garmin S20 a few years ago and that has been my go to for a while now.  I also have a Bushnell range finder that I will pull out on occasion.  

The Personal Questions

As many of you know, I am one of a few members on here from Delaware.  I have been playing golf for over 20 years now, and would still not consider myself a “real” golfer.  I am still a baseball player at heart.  Being a former baseball player, I am aggressive, it is VERY RARE that I lay up.  Actually who am I kidding...I NEVER lay up.  

The Golf Questions

I am a single digit handicap, I think I have crept up to a 7 due to Covid and not getting out as much as I would like.  I guess there’s always next year to bring it back down to a 5 or below.  Anyway, I am a long ball hitter, and strike my woods and long irons fairly well and consistent.  

Now, as far as technology goes, I would say I am not a tech savvy person.  I mean I can operate my iPhone and Waze.  I have a Firestick, but I had to watch YouTube to find how it works.  However, I thought I had a leg up since I already use a golf watch so maybe I will go with a novice at best.  Yeah, that sounds better, I am a tech novice.  

First Impressions

“Golf’s Smartest, Brightest and Fastest watch, nothing comes close”.  This is their tag line, and I will have tons to say about it in the following paragraphs.  Clean, simple, athletic and stylish are all words I can us to describe my initial thoughts of this watch. I could wear this everyday.  

Now as stated on their webpage, “Golf’s Smartest, Brightest and Fastest watch, nothing comes close”....well it IS bright!  This watch has a very clear crisp display that is packed full of colors.  I loved this feature with the LX5.  The screen is large and easy to read in both full sun and dusk.  SkyCaddie hit a hole in one with the screen and resolution.  The face is large so someone with meaty fingers, like myself, will still have no problems navigating through the touch screen features.  I thought the face was large, but also thick.  The large face doesn’t bother me, in fact, I like it.  The part that bothered me was how thick this watch was.  It was like a mega stuffed oreo. 

Looks & Feel (9 out of 10 points) 

I think the watch looks great.  You can choose between multiple watch face options ranging from a classic watch style to a more modern sleek face and anything in between.  This is the face I liked the most, again, there are multiple choices to suit everyone’s various tastes.  

The strap is soft and snug and the watch is very light for its size.  I also am a fan of the beveled edges of this watch, another classic touch from SkyCaddie.

Setup (5 out of 15 points)

The LX5 was easy to set up straight out of the box.  Pretty straight forward, which is a bonus for me since again, I am a tech novice.  I am EXTREMELY impressed with how FAST this watch charges.  Actually the fast charging time is the only reason why I scored a 5 and not lower.  The faults for me are the battery life.  I had one round (granted it was a long round of 4.5 hours) that the watch went from 100% down to 1%.  I expect to have the battery last for at a MINIMUM of 2 rounds!    

Accuracy (12 out of 15 points)

I found the SkyCaddie watch to be fairly accurate, although I did get a couple of wacky numbers from time to time.  A lot of rounds I used my Garmin, the LX5 and my laser to see how close they all matched up.  For the most part they were all within about 5-6 yards from each other (except for this picture).  In today’s round, I shot 103 with the laser, however the LX5 showed 35  to the middle.  That should not happen.  

On-Course (10 out of 30 points)

For me, this really missed the mark.  I wanted to like this watch, it’s bright, big and beautiful.  But I had so much go wrong every time I used it.  “Golf’s Smartest, Brightest and Fastest watch, nothing comes close”.  Remember their tag line?  For starters, the watch takes way too long to find the course, even when it’s your home course.  This usually takes between 5-10 minutes.  I have also had days where the LX5 couldn’t find my home course even when I used it the day before.  So obviously not the fastest.  Once the course is found and you play a hole, if you are keeping score the score card pops up.  You enter your score by a plus and minus button which is easy.  It then asks about number of putts and fairway hit.  The watch will then either go onto the next hole or it may stay on the previous hole and you have to manually go back into the menu and tell it to go to the next hole.  This is annoying.  Another feature that I wish this watch did not have is the fact that if the watch THINKS you should be done a hole it will ask you by buzzing then the screen will display ARE YOU DONE WITH THIS HOLE?  Many times I am, and will say yes but then if you do that, you cannot enter your score, it automatically takes you to the next hole.  To enter your score you again, have to go back into the menu, scroll back to the previous hole and enter all the info and then tell the watch you are on the new hole again.  This is too much work.  Keep it simple.  I also found that the watch would shut off multiple times per round.  When this happens you then have to hit the resume button...well then it takes another 5-10 minutes to find the course again.  Unreal!  For me, I lost faith in this watch.  It wasn’t going to be ready with the information when I needed it quickly.  Something was always causing my focus to be on the watch and not the game.  

Miscellaneous (4 out of 10 points)

Why so low...well, for one you cannot receive any text alerts from your phone with this watch.  SkyCaddie is asking for $350 for this watch, for that, I want the option of receiving text alerts.  Secondly, I am not a fan of SkyCaddie charging a membership fee.  You get a 3 year membership included, but what happens after that?  Garmin doesn’t charge anything, not sure why SkyCaddie does.  Lastly, to get the full use of the LX5 you need to link it to the SkyCaddie App called SKYGOLF 360.  This is where the data of your round goes to be analyzed, but the app is very slow, much like the watch.  It is clunky and lags a great deal.  I would rather use The Grint to do all of this, it is much smoother.  

Play it or Trade it? (5 out of 20 points)

Trade trade trade.  No doubt.  Run away from this watch.  I had a member guest tourney this past weekend and after the third hole I took the watch off and put it in the bag.  It was too much of a hassle.  I like a few features of this watch but not enough to justify spending that kind of money.  

Conclusion

In conclusion, I cannot and will not recommend this watch.  I found the software to be too glitchy with very short battery life.  For the amount of money SkyCaddie is charging I want texting features, I want the software to be more user friendly, I want it to be faster, I want the battery to last more than 1 round and I want the watch to be a bit thinner.  For me, this watch is like making birdie on the first hole, your expectations get high, yet when reality sets in, you wind up not breaking 100.  

Final Score: 45 out of 100

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Great reviews guys.  Overall, I think we mostly liked the LX-5, with the common theme of it being slow to boot and acquire the course info and the process of adding  courses to the watch is still a bit cumbersome.  We are glad to answer any questions that the forum readers would like to ask!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Review is complete! 

Please feel free to follow up with questions at any time. This was a fun product to test because it has so many different features to explore.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

All,

I also wanted to mention that with your LX-5 purchase, you also get a years subscription to Golf Magazine.  If you already have a subscription, it adds to it so it extends your subscription.  You can also decline the subscription and get $15 back in terms of a rebate.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

My review is up!  Forgot to mention that 🙂

Previous forum tests:

• 2 weeks later...

How many of us will be playing winter golf and be able to use this watch all winter?  I know I will probably get a couple of rounds in between now and March, but no more than 10.  

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

On 10/19/2020 at 9:31 AM, JoshAndersonGolf said:

How many of us will be playing winter golf and be able to use this watch all winter?  I know I will probably get a couple of rounds in between now and March, but no more than 10.  

I'll keep on using the watch until snow is on the ground😁

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

12 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

I'll keep on using the watch until snow is on the ground😁

MDGolfHacker

Should be able to used year round!

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

Lucky enough to live in a state that has bearable golf weather year round

Vice Golf Pro Plus

My golf season is over, but I'll be using the watch next season.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I never stop playing! Definitely getting some golf use all through the winter.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg LINK.1 34"
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

• 2 months later...

I haven't golfed in a couple months, I've worn the watch here and there.  Since it's been sitting for some time now, now is the time to charge it back up and see what it's got since its hibernation 🙂

Previous forum tests:

On 1/9/2021 at 4:54 PM, knightsofnii said:

I haven't golfed in a couple months, I've worn the watch here and there.  Since it's been sitting for some time now, now is the time to charge it back up and see what it's got since its hibernation 🙂

Should work just fine!

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

Droppin' a little update in here about how I am getting on with the LX5. I have been trying to figure out ways to use it without having to actually wear it (face is thick so looks real silly on me LOL). I tried attaching to the golf cart wheel which seemed to work really well, and I noticed that the watch's battery did not drain as much as it usually does. The only downside is that I did not use the watch as much as I normally would if I was wearing it. I was wearing my Apple Watch for basic FCB yardages and utilizing the LX5 for certain carry numbers on a few holes. Here is what the setup looked like in the golf cart.

IMG_0538.jpg.bc9dde46c55367e059ff36f2dd1a1b91.jpg

I will more than likely continue to utilize the watch this way instead of wearing it. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes. 

Most Recent Testing: :Sub70: 949x PRO Hybrid 

In my  :callaway-small: 2019 X-Cart Bag :  

:taylormade-small: M3 10.5* (TENSEI Blue 6R)

:benhogan-small: GS53 3W 14* (Review)

:mizuno-small: CLK 2017 4H 22* 

:taylormade-small: M6 Irons 4-PW (KBS MAX 85g Stiff Steel Shafts, Std Length & Lie)

AW, SW: :Sub70: Forged Satin 48*, 54* 

LW::vokey-small: SM6 60*

:wilson_staff_small:  Infinite Putter Michigan Ave 34"

:bridgestone-small: e6  

Current Tech:

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Rangefinder

:skycaddie: LX5 GPS Smartwatch (Review)

12 minutes ago, AGutierrez7 said:

Droppin' a little update in here about how I am getting on with the LX5. I have been trying to figure out ways to use it without having to actually wear it (face is thick so looks real silly on me LOL). I tried attaching to the golf cart wheel which seemed to work really well, and I noticed that the watch's battery did not drain as much as it usually does. The only downside is that I did not use the watch as much as I normally would if I was wearing it. I was wearing my Apple Watch for basic FCB yardages and utilizing the LX5 for certain carry numbers on a few holes. Here is what the setup looked like in the golf cart.

IMG_0538.jpg.bc9dde46c55367e059ff36f2dd1a1b91.jpg

I will more than likely continue to utilize the watch this way instead of wearing it. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes. 

Love that course! I still wear the LX-5 when I go out which is rare these days with Covid.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

• 3 months later...

Bringing this review back up to the top for people to see now that we're getting into golf season. Our winter season was the worst for golf that I can remember. I usually get to play all winter for the most part but I think I only got out for 45 holes max. Things are looking good now though and I can't wait to get back on the course with my LX5! I'm still wearing it as my everyday watch and have no complaints! There was one hole recently that it randomly was giving a blatantly wrong yardage but the guy I was playing with said that hole had changed recently so I guess it just hadn't been updated.

If anybody is stumbling across this thread for the first time, be sure sure to check it out as it is packed with good info on this watch! Ask any questions and we'll be glad to help!

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg LINK.1 34"
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!