Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Club fitting question

This is a question regarding club fitting. I have gone to 3 different outdoor club fitters within the past month; one had trackman and the other two were using GC Quad. I've been fitted into roughly the same shaft/length/lie angle and 2 out of the 3 recommended the same club head. I was hitting it good on the outdoor range and the monitors showed fairly decent numbers during the fitting and I was playing to my miss without issues. I bought 2 sets so I could compare (they've got a great return policy) and I have been playing with them for about 7 rounds each.

Here's the predicament, how come I can't seem to hit these the way I hit them during the fitting? I used the same ball, It wasn't windy, fairly flat course and the clubs had the same swing weights (with clubs on the fitting). I don't get the same distance, I can't miss it consistently and I am just all over the place.

Thanks for your help.

We're you hitting off a turf mat during the fittings? 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Get the clubs checked by the fitter. There are stories that someone ordered X swing weight and got Y from the manufacturer. Also if you picked different grips than were on the demo, that can change swing weight 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

Go back to the out door range and see what happens. My guess like suggested above is there is something different or not right.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Mats tend to straighten out offline shots: if you hit down on the ball and notice green film on your club heads then the mat is helping your shots to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

There are also stories of fitters with “juiced” launch monitors. Are you getting more distance on the course than your old set?

Did you hit your old set for a baseline before the fitting?

I do agree I would get loft, lie and swing weight checked too

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I would also like to add, during a fitting there is ZERO pressure because you are typically hitting either on a range or into a mat.  Once you take them onto the course, whether you realize it or not, you put pressure onto yourself.  Pressure to hit the green or hit the fairway etc.  That pressure is not there during a fitting because we think, "if I hit a bad shot the club fitter will fix it with a tweak to the shaft or head or weight", so we don't worry at all. 

I also agree with everyone about the grips may be different, hitting off of mats helps, juicing launch monitors and maybe specs are off a bit.  That being said, out of the two sets which one feels better or is more consistent for you?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

2 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

during a fitting there is ZERO pressure because you are typically hitting either on a range or into a mat

This is crucial.

Do you happen to know, were you significantly better with your old irons in low-pressure situations than on the golf course?  I've heard good teachers talk about students that have one swing on the range and another swing on the golf course.  If so, then it may not be the clubs at all.

Also, hitting balls in a fitting tends to be like a blocked practice session.  You keep hitting the same shot with the same club with the same stance and lie to the same target, over and over again.  It's easy to get in a groove in that kind of situation.  I know I'm that way.  But that's not how we play golf.  Every yardage, target, stance and lie are different.  If you're playing better with your new clubs than you did with your old clubs, then the answer may be introducing pressure and randomness into your practice sessions.  But if you're playing worse with the new clubs, go see your fitter.  He or she doesn't want you telling all your pals that you're playing worse now; that's not good for business.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Great advice given above!

I had a friend whose lie angles were totally off between fitting and delivered set. This caused a lot of misses. I would bring them back to the fitter for spec checking.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT