TESTERS WANTED! ×

Edison Wedges - First Impressions

So I've had a set of Edison wedges for about three weeks now, and have been alternating between using those and the new Cleveland ZipCore wedges. Have a few impressions to share on the Edison's - and the ZipCores, for that matter. 

First the Edison wedges:

My set makeup is 49-53-57, as determined by Edison's WedgeFit section on their website. Had mine built 1.5 degrees flat with midsize grips and KBS Tour 105 shafts in stiff. I've probably played 4 rounds with them - enough to reach a few conclusions:

1. Feel is exceptional - I know it's not an indicator of performance, but you know it when you hit is perfectly and you know it when you don't. They do provide the feedback you need. 

2. When you don't hit it perfect, you aren't overly punished. That's the real story with Edison - they're pretty forgiving. There's plenty of weight high on the face (my "miss"), and with other wedges there's a noticeable loss of both distance and spin. You'll still lose some distancer and spin with Edison, but not nearly as much. It's basically the difference between the front of the green and the front bunker. 

Edison_Wedge_guaranty - 6.jpg

3. These do create spin. Hit a low spinner Sunday from about 40 yards that actually felt a bit thin, but it hopped twice and then stopped dead, about 12 feet from the pin. Of course, I missed the putt.  Damn wedge!

4. When it comes to full shots, I prefer these over the Cleveland's - very consistent and solid. Partial shots around the green the Edison V-sole takes some getting used to. There's no real "bounce" on them, so you do have to learn how to manipulate the club for each shot you're trying to hit. Cleveland also has a V-sole, but it's not as pronounced as Edison, making the wedge more conventional. If that's what you're used to, it may take you a while to get used to the Edison. I know a  lot of Score and original Hogan TK-15 wedge users have reported similar experiences. 

Edison_Wedge_guaranty - 1.jpg

5. Not sure what to make of Edison's new Money-Back guaranty policy. They'll custom-build you a set of wedges, and you can play them for as long as you need to - Terry Koehler says 4 to 6 rounds should be enough - and if you see an improvement, keep them.  If you don't like them, send them back and he'll refund your money.

The website says the limit is 45 days, but Terry says 4 to 6 rounds, however long that takes. I'm sure there will be a little give and take, but if you're intrigued by the wedges, it's not a bad proposition at all - if you're willing to take that leap of faith.  The good news is Koehler isn't some newbie to the industry - he's been around a while and does have a bit of street cred in certain circles. He has a lot of friends in the business, as well as some enemies, and he's pretty outspoken and irreverent, which can rub people the wrong way. 

But he does make a pretty good wedge. 

Edison_Wedge_guaranty - 2.jpg

6. My plan to keep them in the bag and relearn how to use the V-sole. My best short game came while playing the Hogan TK-15's, but as I recall it did take a while to get the hang of that sole around the green. It'll give me something to do for the rest of the summer. 😉

Edison_Wedge_guaranty - 5.jpg

Cleveland ZipCore Impressions:

1. Feel, performance are noticeably different from the RTX-4, at least for me. RTX-4 is a really good wedge, but the feel was always a bit harsh for me. Whatever it is about ZipCore, Cleveland improved the feel considerably.

2. Full shots - acceptable, but not as acceptable as the Edison's. That could be a combination of things - maybe the shaft, maybe the CG - but the Edison's performed better on full shots. Again, I did like the ZipCore's much more than RTX-4 on full shots. 

Cleveland_RTX_ZipCore_wedge - 1.jpg

3. Around the green - ZipCore really shines. Plenty of spin, easy to manipulate the face, can hit 'em high, low, with spin or with run fairly easily. 

4. It might just be the finish, but the face on the ZipCore just looks larger than the RTX face. I'm sure it's an illusion, but it was pretty startling the first time I tried them. 

Cleveland_RTX_ZipCore_wedge - 6.jpg

5. Satin finish is nice, but I'm really looking forward to the black finish they're planning for later this year. 

6. Cleveland's thing is groove technology. They do Rotex milling, they have microgrooves, and they push the boundaries when it comes to depth, spacing and sharpness. There's definitely more groove tech here than with the Edison wedges, and it's noticeable on partial shots, chips and pitches. 

Cleveland_RTX_ZipCore_wedge - 12.jpg

Any questions on the Edisons or the Clevelands, fire away...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

What is your zipcore makeup and why did you choose the bounces you did?

Also - what do you think of the new shaft.
This is what Cleveland says:
"Dynamic Gold Spinner gives you everything you love in a Tour Issue wedge shaft—stability, control, and consistency—but it’s built to help you generate extra spin and tour-level stopping power. It’s an entirely new offering from True Temper with a similar profile to Dynamic Gold S200 but specifically designed for wedge play."
Do you like/dislike/notice any difference?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

What is your zipcore makeup and why did you choose the bounces you did?

Also - what do you think of the new shaft.
This is what Cleveland says:
"Dynamic Gold Spinner gives you everything you love in a Tour Issue wedge shaft—stability, control, and consistency—but it’s built to help you generate extra spin and tour-level stopping power. It’s an entirely new offering from True Temper with a similar profile to Dynamic Gold S200 but specifically designed for wedge play."
Do you like/dislike/notice any difference?

ZipCore is 52-56-60, all standard bounce - it was the sample set they sent for the release article. That makeup didn't really fit my gamers loftwise, but I don't think I would have chosen a different bounce option in any case.  Now that I think on it, one of the reasons I prefer the Edison's on full shots is the fact they're 1.5 degrees flat, while the Cleveland's are standard lie. The devil is always in the details.

I do like the shaft - haven't really had enough work with it on full shots to give an evaluation, though. It's obviously a good bit heavier than the KBS 105, but the KBS does spin adequately for me on full shots. More work is needed on that...

More disclosure - while the Clevelands are samples sent for the first look article, I did buy the Edison wedges. 

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It's so funny - having not paid much attention to wedges for a while (because I love my SCORs so much), I've started to of late, (because time marches on and the SCORs are getting long in the tooth.)  I have a set of Hogan TKs in the closet, I bought them on the cheap, but I'm not in love with them so I've developed a wandering eye.  I currently bag 13 clubs so this will allow a slot for an additional wedge and I've thought that I would start with something very bouncy (I'm not great out of the sand as I've probably demonstrated when we've played together.)

Intuitively I knew this was a Terry Koehler project the second I saw the name Edison - man I've become a golf geek. 🙂

So my question, in regards to the 1.5 flat v. neutral I'm curious if you could quantify the difference in accuracy or dispersion.  I'm generally 2 flat and am currently testing Wilson D7's v. my PIng G30's and the D7's are getting trounced.  I tried Foz's D7's pre-pandemic and hit them great but am also thinking that his were 2 degrees flat (he and I generally play to similar specs in our equipment).   Even though that's not a wedge thing reading this here makes me wonder if I shouldn't get the 7 iron bent 2 flat and retest it v. the Ping.  For now though could you give us an idea of the differences that you are experiencing upright verses flat?

Thanks as always, old man.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

you mentioned you like the Edison on full shots and the Zipcores around the green - would you consider a combination of both or do you like to have matching wedges?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

22 minutes ago, revkev said:

It's so funny - having not paid much attention to wedges for a while (because I love my SCORs so much), I've started to of late, (because time marches on and the SCORs are getting long in the tooth.)  I have a set of Hogan TKs in the closet, I bought them on the cheap, but I'm not in love with them so I've developed a wandering eye.  I currently bag 13 clubs so this will allow a slot for an additional wedge and I've thought that I would start with something very bouncy (I'm not great out of the sand as I've probably demonstrated when we've played together.)

Intuitively I knew this was a Terry Koehler project the second I saw the name Edison - man I've become a golf geek. 🙂

So my question, in regards to the 1.5 flat v. neutral I'm curious if you could quantify the difference in accuracy or dispersion.  I'm generally 2 flat and am currently testing Wilson D7's v. my PIng G30's and the D7's are getting trounced.  I tried Foz's D7's pre-pandemic and hit them great but am also thinking that his were 2 degrees flat (he and I generally play to similar specs in our equipment).   Even though that's not a wedge thing reading this here makes me wonder if I shouldn't get the 7 iron bent 2 flat and retest it v. the Ping.  For now though could you give us an idea of the differences that you are experiencing upright verses flat?

Thanks as always, old man.  

Old man???  What old man???

Found this chart online:

golf-club-lie-angle-990x556.jpg

Kinda fits for me - found with the Clevelands, being too upright for me, my misses would be more left than anything. Also found  the right lie has made for more consistent overall ball striking, especially since my irons are 1.5 flat as well. Going from a bit flat to standard lie may have been part of the full shot problem. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

you mentioned you like the Edison on full shots and the Zipcores around the green - would you consider a combination of both or do you like to have matching wedges?

Actually did play a mixed set Sunday - Edison 49 and 53, Cleveland 60. Seemed to work okay.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

@ Barbajo - thanks - I knew that too upright equaled ball going left and sometimes significantly so.  I had not contemplated that it might make a difference in ball striking - I've just generally noticed that if I use an iron whose lie is standard I will hit lots of shots left - doesn't bother me when demoing them but now I'm wondering if I'm getting a fair picture of those D7's.  I was also concerned that their shafts are shorter but I'm reading in the Hogan test thread that this is now standard practice with newer graphite shafted irons because they are able to keep the swing weights up without lengthening the shafts - it should also tighten dispersion but I'm not seeing that - however I'm also not seeing less distance - its just inconsistent ball striking and lots of shots going left.  

In regards to wedges I've generally played my most lofted one standard and the others flat - I will almost never hit a 58 or 60 full.  If I have to I"m willing to accept 15 feet left of target because there's generally something difficult about the shot in the first place - pin in a tight spot with trouble in front and behind it - I find I'm  better at executing shots around the green and out of traps with the more upright lie.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

5 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

So I've had a set of Edison wedges for about three weeks now, and have been alternating between using those and the new Cleveland ZipCore wedges. Have a few impressions to share on the Edison's - and the ZipCores, for that matter. 

First the Edison wedges:

My set makeup is 49-53-57, as determined by Edison's WedgeFit section on their website. Had mine built 1.5 degrees flat with midsize grips and KBS Tour 105 shafts in stiff. I've probably played 4 rounds with them - enough to reach a few conclusions:

1. Feel is exceptional - I know it's not an indicator of performance, but you know it when you hit is perfectly and you know it when you don't. They do provide the feedback you need. 

2. When you don't hit it perfect, you aren't overly punished. That's the real story with Edison - they're pretty forgiving. There's plenty of weight high on the face (my "miss"), and with other wedges there's a noticeable loss of both distance and spin. You'll still lose some distancer and spin with Edison, but not nearly as much. It's basically the difference between the front of the green and the front bunker. 

3. These do create spin. Hit a low spinner Sunday from about 40 yards that actually felt a bit thin, but it hopped twice and then stopped dead, about 12 feet from the pin. Of course, I missed the putt.  Damn wedge!

4. When it comes to full shots, I prefer these over the Cleveland's - very consistent and solid. Partial shots around the green the Edison V-sole takes some getting used to. There's no real "bounce" on them, so you do have to learn how to manipulate the club for each shot you're trying to hit. Cleveland also has a V-sole, but it's not as pronounced as Edison, making the wedge more conventional. If that's what you're used to, it may take you a while to get used to the Edison. I know a  lot of Score and original Hogan TK-15 wedge users have reported similar experiences. 

5. Not sure what to make of Edison's new Money-Back guaranty policy. They'll custom-build you a set of wedges, and you can play them for as long as you need to - Terry Koehler says 4 to 6 rounds should be enough - and if you see an improvement, keep them.  If you don't like them, send them back and he'll refund your money.

The website says the limit is 45 days, but Terry says 4 to 6 rounds, however long that takes. I'm sure there will be a little give and take, but if you're intrigued by the wedges, it's not a bad proposition at all - if you're willing to take that leap of faith.  The good news is Koehler isn't some newbie to the industry - he's been around a while and does have a bit of street cred in certain circles. He has a lot of friends in the business, as well as some enemies, and he's pretty outspoken and irreverent, which can rub people the wrong way. 

6. My plan to keep them in the bag and relearn how to use the V-sole. My best short game came while playing the Hogan TK-15's, but as I recall it did take a while to get the hang of that sole around the green. It'll give me something to do for the rest of the summer. 😉

1. Feel, performance are noticeably different from the RTX-4, at least for me. RTX-4 is a really good wedge, but the feel was always a bit harsh for me. Whatever it is about ZipCore, Cleveland improved the feel considerably.

2. Full shots - acceptable, but not as acceptable as the Edison's. That could be a combination of things - maybe the shaft, maybe the CG - but the Edison's performed better on full shots. Again, I did like the ZipCore's much more than RTX-4 on full shots. 

3. Around the green - ZipCore really shines. Plenty of spin, easy to manipulate the face, can hit 'em high, low, with spin or with run fairly easily. 

4. It might just be the finish, but the face on the ZipCore just looks larger than the RTX face. I'm sure it's an illusion, but it was pretty startling the first time I tried them. 

5. Satin finish is nice, but I'm really looking forward to the black finish they're planning for later this year. 

6. Cleveland's thing is groove technology. They do Rotex milling, they have microgrooves, and they push the boundaries when it comes to depth, spacing and sharpness. There's definitely more groove tech here than with the Edison wedges, and it's noticeable on partial shots, chips and pitches. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences/reviews. Few questions. What is it about the V-sole that "takes getting used to"? Is your divot pattern different? Take more turf, less turf? 

9 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

First the Edison wedges:

The Zipcore have a unique milling pattern; particularly the toe area.  I wonder what their science is behind it?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

20 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences/reviews. Few questions. What is it about the V-sole that "takes getting used to"? Is your divot pattern different? Take more turf, less turf? 

Finding the Edisons easier to hit on full shots - maybe it's the weighting, maybe it's the sole, but since taking a couple of rounds to adapt, I can't say I've hit anything terrible "fat" recently, and the divots are nice little patches as opposed to big chunks of turf.  Can't really explain why I find them easier to hit other than the higher CG and greater hi-low MOI. the ZipCores are noticeably better than the RTX-4 in this respect, but I would say the Edisons are even more forgiving. That higher CG also helps with spin.

Worked with the V-sole better during my round yesterday. It's hard to explain, but the bounce is just plain weird with Edison - the V-sole is fairly pronounced so it takes some practice to figure out how to hit different shots. I'm finding it relatively easy to hit decent flops with the 57, and the 53 is my go-to wedge for 20 to 40 yard spinners.  They hop a couple of times and come to a screeching halt. I guess the best answer is the sole is different enough - bounce-wise - to require some time to adapt. Felt like I was getting the hang of it yesterday.  Not sure that's a terribly specific answer, but it's the best I got...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

16 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

The Zipcore have a unique milling pattern; particularly the toe area.  I wonder what their science is behind it?

Lots and lots of grooves to shed moisture, dirt and grass. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Finding the Edisons easier to hit on full shots - maybe it's the weighting, maybe it's the sole, but since taking a couple of rounds to adapt, I can't say I've hit anything terrible "fat" recently, and the divots are nice little patches as opposed to big chunks of turf.  Can't really explain why I find them easier to hit other than the higher CG and greater hi-low MOI. the ZipCores are noticeably better than the RTX-4 in this respect, but I would say the Edisons are even more forgiving. That higher CG also helps with spin.

Worked with the V-sole better during my round yesterday. It's hard to explain, but the bounce is just plain weird with Edison - the V-sole is fairly pronounced so it takes some practice to figure out how to hit different shots. I'm finding it relatively easy to hit decent flops with the 57, and the 53 is my go-to wedge for 20 to 40 yard spinners.  They hop a couple of times and come to a screeching halt. I guess the best answer is the sole is different enough - bounce-wise - to require some time to adapt. Felt like I was getting the hang of it yesterday.  Not sure that's a terribly specific answer, but it's the best I got...

Thanks for updates. Now I am interested............ Last thing I need right now --- more wedges 😃

I can answer this one as I was one of the early guys to make the switch. With a traditional sole you are using the bounce for short shots around the green. It’s no where near as pronounced with the V-sole unless you open the blade - then you have a ton of bounce. There’s a pronounced difference in turf interaction on full shots as well.

They are extremely versatile but it does take a bit of time to get used to them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It’s probably just me but I love the look of those KBS tour graphite shafts. I noticed them in the senior tour event today and see they offer them in the Edison’s

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

43 minutes ago, revkev said:

I can answer this one as I was one of the early guys to make the switch. With a traditional sole you are using the bounce for short shots around the green. It’s no where near as pronounced with the V-sole unless you open the blade - then you have a ton of bounce. There’s a pronounced difference in turf interaction on full shots as well.

They are extremely versatile but it does take a bit of time to get used to them.

Thank you. Appreciate the feedback.

Have you hit any short shots out of fluffy rough high on the face of the Edisons?  I've slid the club right under the ball so many times, hit it high off the face and had it go nowhere.  I'd love something that would help out with those.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 7/25/2020 at 4:46 PM, revkev said:

It’s probably just me but I love the look of those KBS tour graphite shafts. I noticed them in the senior tour event today and see they offer them in the Edison’s

I'm working on a project with the KBS TGI 80's - I'll let you know how it works out. 😉

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

On 7/25/2020 at 10:58 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

Have you hit any short shots out of fluffy rough high on the face of the Edisons?  I've slid the club right under the ball so many times, hit it high off the face and had it go nowhere.  I'd love something that would help out with those.

I think you'll find the Edison's will help, but not necessarily cure, that particular issue.  Hitting a wedge is such a glancing blow anyway, and fluffy lies high on the face make it even moreso. The added high mass does help...to the point that instead of dumping it in the trap in front of the green, you may very well carry the trap, So you got that going for your. Which is nice...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nice snapshot of both wedges!  I tested the RTX4 wedges last summer for MGS and absolutely loved them and didn't find them harsh at all but feel is so subjunctive though 😄.  I may have to swing the Zipcores for a comparison.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

How do the Edison’s compare to SCOR or Hogan Tk-15’s....all designed by Terry K?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

How do the Edison’s compare to SCOR or Hogan Tk-15’s....all designed by Terry K?

I never gamed the SCOR's, but did game the TK15's - which I loved.  Another one of those clubs that make me ask what the hell I was thinking when I got rid of them...

I'd say the V-soles are very similar, but the CG is considerably higher. Terry designed these for regular golfers, so I'd say they're more forgiving than the TK's.  Which I liked. A lot. 

Did I mention that? 😉

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I think you'll find the Edison's will help, but not necessarily cure, that particular issue.  Hitting a wedge is such a glancing blow anyway, and fluffy lies high on the face make it even moreso. The added high mass does help...to the point that instead of dumping it in the trap in front of the green, you may very well carry the trap, So you got that going for your. Which is nice...

Yeah, I don't expect to be pin high when I fluff one, but sometimes a few more inches to dribble it onto the fringe instead of dumping it into the trap.

I lost a tournament in a chip-off once with that shot, and it still gives me nightmares.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I still have a set of SCOR's as well as the Hogan TK15's......plan on gaming them as soon as I can stay in the 70's and low 80's.....please?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

• 8 months later...
On 7/25/2020 at 3:30 PM, revkev said:

On 7/24/2020 at 9:04 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

ZipCore is 52-56-60, all standard bounce - it was the sample set they sent for the release article. That makeup didn't really fit my gamers loftwise, but I don't think I would have chosen a different bounce option in any case.  Now that I think on it, one of the reasons I prefer the Edison's on full shots is the fact they're 1.5 degrees flat, while the Cleveland's are standard lie. The devil is always in the details.

I do like the shaft - haven't really had enough work with it on full shots to give an evaluation, though. It's obviously a good bit heavier than the KBS 105, but the KBS does spin adequately for me on full shots. More work is needed on that...

More disclosure - while the Clevelands are samples sent for the first look article, I did buy the Edison wedges. 

After more use how are you guys feeling with the Edisons. I am looking to replace my wedges this season and am down to Edison and Zipcores. I'm a Cleveland player now and like the raw options, and looking at $350-$400 on a couple wedges I take comfort that I pretty much know what I'm getting with the Zipcores. I usually play full/partial swings with the 56, and very few chips around the green. I have 14* of bounce on my 56 and it works well for my steep swing. The 60 I have plays with 9* of bounce and I use it around the green, for flops, and out of the sand. My concern is if those types of open face shots are even possible with the Edison V-soles? So, any advice on which direction you would go after using the Edisons for a longer period of time? TIA

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1

I do apologize because I can’t see your handicap on the mobile app and don’t mean to insult anyone. I’m a low handicapper with a very good short game who never hits a flop shot on the course.

I can hit them with my wedges even off a tight lie but hitting them and getting them close to the hole consistently? Not a chance without a ton of practice. I don’t have that time. Way better for the game to invest it in working on short and lag putting, lots more stokes gained that way IMO.

Okay take that advice or leave it.

To your question I’m getting very comfortable with the 53 bent to 54 from anywhere inside of 90 yards. I had 57 yards off a downhill wet lie over a pond yesterday - Frightening shot! My playing partner laughed at me. I told him I was going to fly a low spinner with the 54 a bit past the pin, let it bounce up the hill and roll back to pin high - ended up 10 feet left of the hole - just about perfect.

Had 80 to a pin tucked right behind a trap - hole high 15 footer. Had 43 straight up hill, 30 yards of it fairway, bumped and ran it hole high 5 feet, birdie.

I still need to work more with the 59 but I love the trajectory, distance and spin control of the 54 and have little doubt that I will get there with the 59 as I have more time to practice. Had a very nice trap shot with it yesterday

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 years later...

I have a 45* PW I built with a Nippon 130X shaft my son broke off at the tip.  That made it basically a .370 parallel tip shaft, which is a prerequisite for the original Edison heads.  In reviewing their site, it looks like the 2.0 wedges are a .355 shaft hosel size.  

My review is simple...if Edison made an entire set of irons (3-9) JUST like this 45* wedge I have, I would buy them sight unseen in a millisecond.  Between the 130X shaft, which theoretically should be too stiff / heavy for me and feel like a 2"x4", and this wedge head, I've never had more consistent, straighter, and overall just better shots in the 135-145 yard range.  My Mizuno Pro 223 PW goes the same distance, but due to either the shafts I have (Nippon 1150gh stiff) being too soft or the clubs being set too upright, I have nowhere near the precision and accuracy with that club as with the Edison...

I am honestly contemplating finding a nice set of used 130X Nippon shafts and redoing my entire iron set this winter.  I'm not sure that's a great idea as I just turned 50, but I plan on playing a LOT of golf this fall...at least once it stops being 10 degrees hotter here in DFW than the average temperature in hell...

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to -1 / N
  • Titleist 917F3 3W (13.5°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X stiff shaft - D1 setting
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - A1 setting
  • Mizuno Pro 223 Irons (2* upright) - 4-PW - Mitsubishi MMT125TX Shafts (+1")
  • Vokey SM9 Jet Black Raw (50°F10 / 55°F10 / 60°M08) +1/2" / 2° up with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts
  • Lamkin ST Hybrid grips on all (midsize)
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour or OnCore Vero X1 (both white and yellow)

Highly recommend the 45* Edison PW. Much lower trajectory than my set PW and loads more spin on less than full shots. Also have a 51 2.0 that is a great gap wedge. Love the TK/V sole, very versatile with relatively short adjustment period. Toying with getting an Edison lob wedge to see how it compares to my 60* Ping Glide 2.0. 

Practical golf FTW!

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2020 at 7:46 PM, fozcycle said:

I still have a set of SCOR's as well as the Hogan TK15's......plan on gaming them as soon as I can stay in the 70's and low 80's.....please?

My wife gave me two Edison’s for my birthday last year. One year in the bag and I love them.