Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

left handed fitting

I recently visited a golf galaxy in the midwest and inquired about getting an iron set fitting and in particular wanted to explore the Cobra One-Length as an option.  I was told they had a 7 iron but that was it so I would not be able to hit a 5 or 9 iron.  They were also really limited in other options as well.  So my question is who or where is the best place to get the best bang for my buck as a lefty?  Willing to travel some.  Thanks!  

Most places only have 1 iron from a set for fittings, usually either the 6 or 7 iron. 

As far as having expanded options outside of the one model a place like club champion, tour spec that feature a large variety of clubs and shafts will be your best option.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Unless you're buying off the rack no one is going to have anything other than a 7 iron to hit. Depending on how far away what you are fitted into it may be worth seeing if they will tape up a set of the retail irons that you want to hit but they obviously won't be the exact length, lie, or shaft for you.

Being a lefty is probably going to make that even harder. You're best bet is to probably call and see what they have for Lefty's in their fitting cart and then what if anything they have in stock of you want to hit other irons.

I recently visited a golf galaxy in the midwest and inquired about getting an iron set fitting and in particular wanted to explore the Cobra One-Length as an option.  I was told they had a 7 iron but that was it so I would not be able to hit a 5 or 9 iron.  They were also really limited in other options as well.  So my question is who or where is the best place to get the best bang for my buck as a lefty?  Willing to travel some.  Thanks!  

Where are you located? Before we ended up at our fitter in Macedonia, Ohio, I talked to a number of 'independent' fitters in Ohio and there was no issue in getting a left hand demos from different OEMs. I would agree with the other posters on the 7i. Just went through a fitting and the 7i was the only one I hit.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 7/25/2020 at 8:34 PM, tony@CIC said:

Where are you located? Before we ended up at our fitter in Macedonia, Ohio, I talked to a number of 'independent' fitters in Ohio and there was no issue in getting a left hand demos from different OEMs. I would agree with the other posters on the 7i. Just went through a fitting and the 7i was the only one I hit.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I am located in West Central Illinois

Exploring and committing are 2 very separate things. When fitting (successfully) one length irons the golfer needs to be committed to the idea.

I say this because golfers as a whole are incredibly traditional. Even the folks I have fitted when swing the 5 iron still had it their head it was shorter and added oomph was need to make the ball go. That f course was a flop. Then we talked about the concept of one length one swing one effort and all is good. for the most part the golfers did very well. However, those that had a less than positive round could never get past the one length concept and used went back to what they were used to.

When we fit one I give them a test to see if they can generate a given separation between our two clubs. If they cannot then we discuss other options.

All that said if you are in the committed category  then fitting to the seven is not an issue.  it is a great idea. it just takes getting used too.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:50 AM, Jschmitz said:

I am a lefty and used Club Champion here in Birmingham, AL and what I liked is they use a 6 iron. In my humble opinion, if I can hit your hardest to hit irons which long irons the rest of the bag can usually come together. I would also stay away from 7 irons because the club manufactures know this is the testing club and are really jacking around that club’s basic design.

A different approach to demoing is buy single irons off eBay from a reputable seller. Make sure the seller tells you all specs before buying. Also if you know some of the basics of club fitting or some of your own specs can help with this process. I believe Club Champion club fitting can be $300+ for a full bag fitting and that kind of money can buy several single irons to test as long as you like. Also most golf shops will be happy to confirm the specs of the test clubs for free and if a lie or loft adjustment is needed they’ve adjusted it for free for me.