TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Sub 70 699 Pro irons

5 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Time for a first impressions post!

My irons arrived yesterday afternoon. I was at the house waiting; I wonder if UPS has a way of signaling to their drivers when someone has hit refresh on the tracking hundreds of times in a day, just so the driver knows he might be encountering a totally crazy person. But that aside....

Here's the unboxing video, with cameos from @Kirke and @Erik-M (and my dog, Rohan):

Erik was at the house, using my SkyTrak to gap test his new Hogan Icons for the review he's doing. He and I are planning to play this afternoon, irons only, as we compete with @edingc and @GB13 in this week's Cobra Connect Challenge.

Visually, these irons hit the sweet spot for me: clean without being boring. I think they're really a great looking design.

image.png

image.png

Size-wise: they're not tiny, though they're definitely smaller heel-to-toe than the G700s (which is what I hoped). I'll need to get a few more picture comparisons, but the top line is much more appealing than the G700s, with less offset. I was surprised that the sole is as wide as it as. That's not a complaint, but I'll be very interested to see the results on the course. Before the G700s, I played with a set of Adams XTD Tour irons, and was a small divot-taker. The G700s have made me a sweeper; I'm intrigued to see what kind of turf interaction the 699 Pros favor.

After getting the irons out of the box, I got on SkyTrak for a few swings with the PW. Sound-wise, the 699 Pros represent a significant upgrade over the G700s. Both are hollow-bodied irons, but the G700s have no filling of any sort. They have never been "tingy", but they are loud, with a significant crack at impact. The 699 Pros are much more dense and muted sounding—obviously not as dense as Erik's Hogan blades, but better than my PING's. We're hoping to set up some mics to do a sound test in the near future.

I wrapped up my initial experience with the irons with a gap testing session on SkyTrak. What I saw was right in line with my expectations: each club is a bit shorter than the G700 it's replacing (the 699s are about a degree weaker on each club). I have a bag mapping report from February with my G700s; a quick side-by-side comparison (carry distances here):

image.png

On average, I'm getting about 5 yards less on each club.

The problem club, in both sets, is obviously the 5 iron. This season, I haven't been using the G700 5 iron at all: I've replaced with an Adams XTD dHy. That club has been a go to for me: a last-resort safety option off the tee when nothing else is trustworthy, and a perfect shape club for punching out of bad lies and under trees.

I am pretty confident that my 5 iron going shorter than my 6 is a bit of an aberration. It's definitely not the fault of the club. I'll be working and practicing with it. But there is certainly a chance that, at the end of testing, one of two things happen: either the Adams goes back in the bag in the 5-slot, or I look into shafting the 699 Pro 5-iron in graphite.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to getting these out on the course for the irons-only round today and a league match tomorrow night. More updates coming!

Rohan looks like a very good boy

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

8 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

My irons arrived yesterday afternoon. I was at the house waiting; I wonder if UPS has a way of signaling to their drivers when someone has hit refresh on the tracking hundreds of times in a day, just so the driver knows he might be encountering a totally crazy person. But that aside....

Here's the unboxing video, with cameos from @Kirke and @Erik-M (and my dog, Rohan):

Erik was at the house, using my SkyTrak to gap test his new Hogan Icons for the review he's doing. He and I are planning to play this afternoon, irons only, as we compete with @edingc and @GB13 in this week's Cobra Connect Challenge.

Visually, these irons hit the sweet spot for me: clean without being boring. I think they're really a great looking design.

image.png

image.png

Size-wise: they're not tiny, though they're definitely smaller heel-to-toe than the G700s (which is what I hoped). I'll need to get a few more picture comparisons, but the top line is much more appealing than the G700s, with less offset. I was surprised that the sole is as wide as it as. That's not a complaint, but I'll be very interested to see the results on the course. Before the G700s, I played with a set of Adams XTD Tour irons, and was a small divot-taker. The G700s have made me a sweeper; I'm intrigued to see what kind of turf interaction the 699 Pros favor.

After getting the irons out of the box, I got on SkyTrak for a few swings with the PW. Sound-wise, the 699 Pros represent a significant upgrade over the G700s. Both are hollow-bodied irons, but the G700s have no filling of any sort. They have never been "tingy", but they are loud, with a significant crack at impact. The 699 Pros are much more dense and muted sounding—obviously not as dense as Erik's Hogan blades, but better than my PING's. We're hoping to set up some mics to do a sound test in the near future.

I wrapped up my initial experience with the irons with a gap testing session on SkyTrak. What I saw was right in line with my expectations: each club is a bit shorter than the G700 it's replacing (the 699s are about a degree weaker on each club). I have a bag mapping report from February with my G700s; a quick side-by-side comparison (carry distances here):

image.png

The problem club, in both sets, is obviously the 5 iron. This season, I haven't been using the G700 5 iron at all: I've replaced with an Adams XTD dHy. That club has been a go to for me: a last-resort safety option off the tee when nothing else is trustworthy, and a perfect shape club for punching out of bad lies and under trees.

I am pretty confident that my 5 iron going shorter than my 6 is a bit of an aberration. It's definitely not the fault of the club. I'll be working and practicing with it. But there is certainly a chance that, at the end of testing, one of two things happen: either the Adams goes back in the bag in the 5-slot, or I look into shafting the 699 Pro 5-iron in graphite.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to getting these out on the course for the irons-only round today and a league match tomorrow night. More updates coming!

Great video @GolfSpy MPR! Those irons look sweet and from your Twitter video, sound pretty good. It looks like both Kirke and Rohan were excited to see what was in the box. Also, at the end of the video I saw @Erik-M eyeballing them with a gleam in his eyes. 

3 hours ago, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

Rohan looks like a very good boy

Almost: she's a very good girl! 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

19 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great video @GolfSpy MPR! Those irons look sweet and from your Twitter video, sound pretty good. It looks like both Kirke and Rohan were excited to see what was in the box. Also, at the end of the video I saw @Erik-M eyeballing them with a gleam in his eyes. 

You're not wrong, they are the second best looking clubs I've seen in a while! You might be able to guess what the first are!

1 minute ago, Erik-M said:

You're not wrong, they are the second best looking clubs I've seen in a while! You might be able to guess what the first are!

Starts with a B rhymes with logan ?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

5 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

Yeah, those Hogan's are just gorgeous. I watched the Rick Shiels video on them last night and drooled just a little. 

41 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Almost: she's a very good girl! 🙂

My apologies! The best girl!

9 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Awesome video! Yes they look so clean. Can't wait to see how they perform for you on the course!

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

12 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

It will be interesting to see if the range or on course distance  numbers are different than your chart like my test turned out. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

16 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Nice Sun Mountain push cart. I have the same one.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'd add: her cameo in this unboxing went much smoother than when I tried to film an unboxing for my review last year of the Precision Pro NX9 rangefinder:

It's like she was more excited about the range finder than you lol

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

The weather here is killing me. A thunder storm with rain have rolled in every day after I get home from work. I cant wait to get out on the course for more testing. Hopefully tomorrow.

Loving what I’m hearing about these irons so far and I LOVE the black finish! If I wasn’t scared that I don’t really have the game for these irons I would order therm tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

6 minutes ago, TBT said:

Loving what I’m hearing about these irons so far and I LOVE the black finish! If I wasn’t scared that I don’t really have the game for these irons I would order therm tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What are you playing now? I think they are very comparable to the TM p790s, and just about anyone can play those. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

On 8/6/2020 at 8:58 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

League round tonight: first time playing an "ordinary" round with my 699 Pro irons. And I accomplished something that I don't think I've ever done before: I left zero approach shots short. Still gotta increase the GIRs (the greens on my course are tiny) but the distance control was so good!

20200806_205441.jpg

missed short always kill my game...

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

On 8/6/2020 at 1:09 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

On a centered strike: I love the sound/feel. On this, they're roughly a million times better than the G700s. The PINGs have a distinct crack at impact. The 699 Pros are much more muted and dense-sounding. A big fan of this so far.

Do you think the sound and feel is due to the Sub 70's having the injection behind the face vs. the hollow body of the G700s?  I'm guessing very similar to the Cobra Forge Tec and P790s?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

1 minute ago, goaliewales14 said:

Do you think the sound and feel is due to the Sub 70's having the injection behind the face vs. the hollow body of the G700s?  I'm guessing very similar to the Cobra Forge Tec and P790s?

Oh, yeah, I'm nearly certain this is the explanation.

Full WITB with pictures

On 8/6/2020 at 10:09 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

love the sound/feel. On this, they're roughly a million times better than the G700s

are you sure its not closer to 500,000 times better ? 😆

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 8/6/2020 at 11:09 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

On a centered strike: I love the sound/feel. On this, they're roughly a million times better than the G700s. The PINGs have a distinct crack at impact. The 699 Pros are much more muted and dense-sounding. A big fan of this so far.

No doubt the effect of the magic-thane.  Pre launch monitor session, what are you seeing in distance differences to your G700's?  

EDIT: Disregard... just found your previous post on baselines.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 8/6/2020 at 9:58 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

League round tonight: first time playing an "ordinary" round with my 699 Pro irons. And I accomplished something that I don't think I've ever done before: I left zero approach shots short. Still gotta increase the GIRs (the greens on my course are tiny) but the distance control was so good!

20200806_205441.jpg

Really cool to see.  Such a big help  when you can find a set and you know with some confidence that they will go the length you want them too.  Then it just comes down to finding a consistent shot shape and playing that shape 80 or so percent of the time... (may I venture to say I see mid-single digit handicap on the NEAR horizon?!)

Either of you other guys (@Tom the Golf Nut or @Smellis745) going to be looking at changing other clubs in your bag to better fit the gapping with the 699 Pros? I've already made a small tweak: I own Cleveland CBX wedges in both 48° and 50°; with the slightly shorter PW distance, I put the 50° in the bag instead of the 48°.

I''m likely also to make an adjustment in the hybrid. I love my Tour Edge CBX 20°, but I'm thinking that the gap between it and the 699 5-iron is going to be a bit bigger than I want. I have an Adams XTD hybrid at 20° in the collection, and that one is adjustable. I might tinker with that to fit it nicely between the 5-iron and my Cobra 5 wood.

Full WITB with pictures

Believe it or not my gapping actually got better than what I was playing.

Sub 70 699 pro irons  evaluation      

Wilson D200's       Sub 70 699 Pro
  Deg. of loft Avg Dist/ Yards     Deg. of loft
5 24 180   5 24
6 27 170   6 27
7 31 160   7 31
8 35 150   8 35
9 39 140   9 40
P* 43 125   P* 45
G* 47 100   AW* 50
SW 56 85   SW 56
LW 60 60   LW 60

Like  GolfSpy MPR I am looking at the gapping between the 5 iron and the 5 wood. But i am not sure if I even need to do something. I hit my 5 wood 200 yards and my 4 hybrid 185 yards. So since I hit a 5 iron 180 do I even need to mess with anything. The hybrid helps out of the rough. I will have to investigate my 5 iron characteristics further. Do I hit it high enough to drop the hybrid? Do I replace the hybrid with a Sub70 hybrid? Do I want to be at 190 yards with a higher trajectory?  My current hybrid and I don't always have the best of relationships. Maybe 7 out of 10 times we don't get into an argument, and the other three I threaten to put him in time out!