TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Sub 70 699 Pro irons

5 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Either of you other guys (@Tom the Golf Nut or @Smellis745) going to be looking at changing other clubs in your bag to better fit the gapping with the 699 Pros? I've already made a small tweak: I own Cleveland CBX wedges in both 48° and 50°; with the slightly shorter PW distance, I put the 50° in the bag instead of the 48°.

I''m likely also to make an adjustment in the hybrid. I love my Tour Edge CBX 20°, but I'm thinking that the gap between it and the 699 5-iron is going to be a bit bigger than I want. I have an Adams XTD hybrid at 20° in the collection, and that one is adjustable. I might tinker with that to fit it nicely between the 5-iron and my Cobra 5 wood.

I'm leaving for vacation on Wednesday, but will be making a Trackman appointment once we get home to figure out the gaps.  I have already noticed and changed...

1 - Driving iron is out and hybrid is back in, at least on my home course.  The par 4's where I'd hit the driving iron in the past I can get to a perfectly acceptable landing area with this 4 iron.

2 - The 699 Pro PW is carrying about 150 on the course.  This is 12 yards longer than my previous set PW in the Srixons.  That was leaving me a HUGE gap on the bottom so I bent my 50.08F SM7 to 48*.  It was bent to 51* previously and I could get it to 125, but I had to swing it full and I don't like doing that with wedges.  Previously, that gap was perfect though, now it's a 25 yard gap, not 12.  In the past, I would use my PW from 120-140 and my gap wedge from 100-120.  But making a PW cover 120-150 is a bit much.  Thus, I bent the GW to 48 and my SW to 53.  I'm going to see how this works...

I've said it many times, these irons are long.  They're forgiving.  They launch high.  I spoke with Jason today, as a matter of fact, and he said what I'm seeing has been one of the common "complaints" (if you'd call it that) with these irons.  It's just them doing what they're designed to do.  Hopefully I can get the bottom end of my bag gapped out right because I really like these irons so far.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

I didn't realize they were so long...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

1 hour ago, Mr. Casual Golfer said:

All three of you have done an amazing job of tracking your journey with these clubs. It is awesome to see such positive results coming from a direct to consumer manufacturer. 

I did not know what to expect, but went in with an open mind. Not knowing much about SUB - Seventy other than a few MGS posts I was somewhat in the dark about them. Then I did a little research and liked what I read. Then all the sudden I was selected for the testing. In my mind it was " could an unknown (to me ) compete with the big names"?  The answer is YES. This testing really opened my eyes. I was so fortunate to be selected.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

16 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

I didn't realize they were so long...

Since they pretty much matched the lofts on my D200's the gain I saw was in the continued launch. Meaning they kept climbing longer at the same launch angle and dropping softer.  They are easy about 1/2 club longer for me.  The real nice part is the consistancy and I dont have to work hard to get the results.

What are you playing now? I think they are very comparable to the TM p790s, and just about anyone can play those. 

I’m planning Cobra F7’s now...just afraid I need more of the “game improvement “ aspects

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

League round tonight: first time playing an "ordinary" round with my 699 Pro irons. And I accomplished something that I don't think I've ever done before: I left zero approach shots short. Still gotta increase the GIRs (the greens on my course are tiny) but the distance control was so good!
20200806_205441.jpg.88a7b6bd0e0001f027228f6e9b942833.jpg

MPR I know you said originally that you were on the high side of the handicap range for these irons....how do you feel these will play for a higher handicap player?

I’m playing to a 16-17 at this point but these really have me intrigued.

A few years ago I played a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC’s which I think lean more towards players irons than GI irons.

I’m so close to pulling the trigger on these!

37 minutes ago, TBT said:

I’m planning Cobra F7’s now...just afraid I need more of the “game improvement “ aspects

The regular 699s rated really high in last years player distance test, those heads are just a little more game improvement. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Okay testers. I have a 699 pro 5i that I've been going back and forth with comparing to an i500. They both look great in the rack and in the bag, but I have a visual issue with the 699 pro at address. Wondering if any of you do as well? Or if it works for your eyes?

My issue, is the heel is really low. Compared to the i500s, or my Sub 70 639cbs. It is about 3mm short compared to either, and makes the club look very toe heavy. It has 1 less groove at the connection to the hozel compared to either, giving the top line a very sloped look. 

Have any of you noticed this? By reading your results, if you have it sure isn't affecting you. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

I'm going to be out of reach the next few days so I won't be active in this thread.  To answer your question @Thin2win, I think the black finish has hidden some of what you talked about for me.  With that said though, I have noticed it but it doesn't really bother me.  The entire shape of the iron was a bit of an adjustment because it is a bit bigger than what I've been playing the past few years, but it works.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I know this is a bit of a cop out answer, but that's the question I'm definitely in the process of trying to answer. At this point in the review, the answer is not conclusive. Here's the core data so far: this is my chart for shots from 120-190 yards from July through the August arrival of my Sub 70s:

image.png

Here is the same information for the 54 holes I've played so far with my 699 Pros:

image.png

So far, this doesn't suggest improvement. On average, I'm hitting a little more than 1 fewer green per round with the 699s. The four rounds I've played with the 699s, Arccos has given me an average of a 19.4 handicap on my approach play. My last 10 rounds with the G700s, that average was 14.0.

So while I'm absolutely enjoying playing with these clubs, the absolute numbers are not on the side of them helping my game as yet. My two caveats:

• This is still a pretty small sample size with the new clubs: I'm 54 holes in. A couple more rounds could change these numbers fairly dramatically.
  • I've done virtually no practice with my new irons. As I've mentioned a lot on this forum, we have no range within an hour of us. And because the course is under snow six months a year, when I would have time to practice in the garage in the summer, it's hard not to go to the course instead and grab a quick nine.

Short answer: I'm not at all ready to reach a verdict yet on whether these irons are beyond me. But I'll be keeping everyone posted. I definitely want them to work; I'd rather have these in the bag than the G700s. But in the spirit of MGS, I'm going to have to let the data decide that.

Great format for the data and A+ on your closing statement.  What irons had you changed from moving to the G700's and how long did it take to see results?  It seems several rounds should be enough time to find their groove, but perhaps not?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great format for the data and A+ on your closing statement.  What irons had you changed from moving to the G700's and how long did it take to see results?  It seems several rounds should be enough time to find their groove, but perhaps not?

My previous irons were the Adam XTD Tours:

image.png

These are a fairly compact cavity-back iron (much smaller than the Adams XTD irons). I should do some comparison pictures: I'd guess that they are very similar in size to the 699 Pros.

Pulling up my Game Golf data from the time I was testing the G700s, I'm seeing that in the first 2-3 weeks with the G700s, my approach handicap also went up, though not as dramatically (I'm finding that Arccos and Game Golf numbers aren't very interchangeable though). But if I extend the time frame to two months with the new clubs, my approach handicap drops two full strokes.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

These are a fairly compact cavity-back iron (much smaller than the Adams XTD irons). I should do some comparison pictures: I'd guess that they are very similar in size to the 699 Pros.

Pulling up my Game Golf data from the time I was testing the G700s, I'm seeing that in the first 2-3 weeks with the G700s, my approach handicap also went up, though not as dramatically (I'm finding that Arccos and Game Golf numbers aren't very interchangeable though). But if I extend the time frame to two months with the new clubs, my approach handicap drops two full strokes.

Those Adams irons were sooooo good. I miss the Adams of old. CB2, MB2, 9064LS Driver, and F11 Ti 3 Wood

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

44 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

It took me a handful of rounds with the G410's to find their groove.  The fitting data definitely showed them an improvement but getting through the bag on both the range and play took a little time. I don't have course play data on the PE2's but I'm certain I'm gaining about a club more distance and dispersion is better - though not by a whole lot.  And of course, moving from PE2's to G410's is a huge shift compared to the subtleties between your recent clubs. You are also moving from GI (some argue G700 are SGI) to PD irons and they may just not be suited for your game.  That is exactly where I think I'm at based on limited range time with the i500 and i210. Whether they would perform better, through the bag, in course play is the BIG question.  

Here's a comparison photo of the 699 Pros, the Adams XTD Tours, and the PING G700s. Clearly, the PINGs are the biggest all around: longer from heel to toe, thicker sole and top line. The Adams are the smallest. And the 699 Pros fit nicely the middle.

In all three photos, the Adams is in the middle of the other two irons.

PSX_20200812_113140.jpg

Full WITB with pictures

21 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Okay testers. I have a 699 pro 5i that I've been going back and forth with comparing to an i500. They both look great in the rack and in the bag, but I have a visual issue with the 699 pro at address. Wondering if any of you do as well? Or if it works for your eyes?

My issue, is the heel is really low. Compared to the i500s, or my Sub 70 639cbs. It is about 3mm short compared to either, and makes the club look very toe heavy. It has 1 less groove at the connection to the hozel compared to either, giving the top line a very sloped look. 

Have any of you noticed this? By reading your results, if you have it sure isn't affecting you. 

I understand what you  are saying but it did not really bother me at address. Going from a thicker top line and larger offset to the 699's seemed to be a quick adjustment for me. The results that I have seen for me personally, quickly dismissed any visual differences changing over from my Wilson D200's. I would say during the third round it just became the norm at address. I actually think the profile at address helped me line up to my target better.

Fresh off the course with another update. Just beat the storm that rolled in.

During the course of testing today I got to hit the 5 iron for the first time in a round of golf. Poor drive distance wise. I was left with 180 into the green and it went dead straight and was about 8 feet from the pin.  I wasn't in the best of form today due to working on a brick walkway from our club house to the pro shop. Three hours in the heat took a little toll on my  ball striking. I still shot very well but I had about 5 hits toward the toe. These all went straight but came up short. I did have the approach wedge dialed in so I was left with 2 to 3 foot putts for par o three of them. I also wound up in two sand traps but both were sand saves for par. The Cleveland CBX 56* was the work horse on those.  The rest of the round was almost boring. Drive, put the ball on the green and two putt. I did have a great shot into a par three. I always seemed to scramble on this hole untill these irons went in the bag. Its a simple 170 yard hole with traps on the left and right side. For some reason I always went right  ( really right) and would chip and hope for a one putt. Today I aimed dead straight at the flag and wound up 4 feet from the pin and made the bird.  In summary,  one bogey and one bird for an even par round.

Did I mention that I really like these clubs?

23 hours ago, TBT said:

MPR I know you said originally that you were on the high side of the handicap range for these irons....how do you feel these will play for a higher handicap player?

I’m playing to a 16-17 at this point but these really have me intrigued.

A few years ago I played a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC’s which I think lean more towards players irons than GI irons.

I’m so close to pulling the trigger on these!

Sub Seventy does have a demo program so you can try before you buy if that would make you more comfortable. They will send you three irons. In the end it would only cost you $20.00. There is a hold amount and then refunded less the $20.00. But I'm going from memory. Go to their website and check k it out.

11 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Sub Seventy does have a demo program so you can try before you buy if that would make you more comfortable. They will send you three irons. In the end it would only cost you $20.00. There is a hold amount and then refunded less the $20.00. But I'm going from memory. Go to their website and check k it out.

Yes. They have a demo program with stock shafts and grips. They send you a 6i and 9i and let you try them out for 20 bucks. The initial charge on your account is a 120 bucks and when you return the clubs they refund you the 100 dollars back. .

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I know this is a bit of a cop out answer, but that's the question I'm definitely in the process of trying to answer. At this point in the review, the answer is not conclusive. Here's the core data so far: this is my chart for shots from 120-190 yards from July through the August arrival of my Sub 70s:
image.png.41c03e06ee8ce438155102a07cf3bc75.png
Here is the same information for the 54 holes I've played so far with my 699 Pros:
image.png.b74ba0fd2d7588b1a0e29097935eb361.png
So far, this doesn't suggest improvement. On average, I'm hitting a little more than 1 fewer green per round with the 699s. The four rounds I've played with the 699s, Arccos has given me an average of a 19.4 handicap on my approach play. My last 10 rounds with the G700s, that average was 14.0.
So while I'm absolutely enjoying playing with these clubs, the absolute numbers are not on the side of them helping my game as yet. My two caveats:
  • This is still a pretty small sample size with the new clubs: I'm 54 holes in. A couple more rounds could change these numbers fairly dramatically.
  • I've done virtually no practice with my new irons. As I've mentioned a lot on this forum, we have no range within an hour of us. And because the course is under snow six months a year, when I would have time to practice in the garage in the summer, it's hard not to go to the course instead and grab a quick nine.
Short answer: I'm not at all ready to reach a verdict yet on whether these irons are beyond me. But I'll be keeping everyone posted. I definitely want them to work; I'd rather have these in the bag than the G700s. But in the spirit of MGS, I'm going to have to let the data decide that.

Thanks that’s exactly what I wanted....kinda like you said I REALLY want to play these irons....they look SOOOO good...I love the black model!

I’m just not sure whether or not they would fit my game. The demo program is nice..but I’m 1” long and 2* up so hitting a standard length/lie demo club doesn’t help much.

11 hours ago, TBT said:

Thanks that’s exactly what I wanted....kinda like you said I REALLY want to play these irons....they look SOOOO good...I love the black model!

I’m just not sure whether or not they would fit my game. The demo program is nice..but I’m 1” long and 2* up so hitting a standard length/lie demo club doesn’t help much.

Things to consider or identify.

1) Do you hit the sweet spot on your irons a good percentage of the time? If so then these could be a good fit.

2) Are you a 15 handicap that struggles reducing your handicap due to your driving, bunker play, or putting?  If yes then these still could be a good fit. 

You need to identify what area of your game needs the improvement to help you make the decision on what irons you should investigate. don't just get something because they look good. I have a closet full of those! I really like the black too, but went with the recommendation of satin due to the soil conditions in my area. I wish I got the black but at the same time I'm glad I didn't. 

23 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I know its early in the testing but I was crunching  some numbers.

My average score for the months of June and July ( pre Sub-Seventy) was 73.17 over seven 18 hole rounds

With the 699 Pro's for August so far is 70.33 over 3 rounds. Also shot a 34 for 9 holes on the first day of testing.

My driving accuracy and putting is usually very consistant  so the difference I'm seeing is in the iron play.

Nice shooting Tom!  When I spoke with Jason in spring 2019, as part of my search for new irons, he was suggesting either the 639CB's or 699's. Because I was really wanting to test irons as part of my iron fittings, and couldn't with the Sub70 clubs, I ended up not going with them... but sometimes think I should have done their demo option.  Anyway, I'm not unpleased with my G410's but now having subsequently hit the i210's and i500's, feel I could move into a PD iron and gain some additional yardage.  How would you characterize the 699 Pro - more PD than GI or vice-versa?  Thanks.

On 8/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I did not know what to expect, but went in with an open mind. Not knowing much about SUB - Seventy other than a few MGS posts I was somewhat in the dark about them. Then I did a little research and liked what I read. Then all the sudden I was selected for the testing. In my mind it was " could an unknown (to me ) compete with the big names"?  The answer is YES. This testing really opened my eyes. I was so fortunate to be selected.

Any company owner that will spend nearly an hour with me on the phone, on a Sunday afternoon, earned BIG points.  I really like the Sub 70 story and they are solidly on my list of suppliers for the next set of irons.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:40 PM, Smellis745 said:

Anyhow, I’m still really enjoying these irons and will get some updated “wear” pics tomorrow.

Much appreciated.  I really like the black color but poor wearability would drive my OCD nuts 🙃.

30 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Much appreciated.  I really like the black color but poor wearability would drive my OCD nuts 🙃.

If we get another golf trip in this year, you can hit my 639-CBs

WITB:

1 minute ago, Thin2win said:

If we get another golf trip in this year, you can hit my 639-CBs

👍

image.png.41c03e06ee8ce438155102a07cf3bc75.png
image.png.b74ba0fd2d7588b1a0e29097935eb361.png

How do you get to this dispersion feature in ARCCOS? I’ve seen it a few times here but can’t find it in my app.

It awesome for reviews.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

How do you get to this dispersion feature in ARCCOS? I’ve seen it a few times here but can’t find it in my app.

It awesome for reviews.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It's in the desktop dashboard on the website, rather than the app. One of my complaints about Acrros is that different stats are available on the app than on the desktop. For instance, the desktop doesn't allow me to find my 1/2/3 putt percentages, and oversight that I find pretty inexcusable; the same data is readily available on the phone app.

Full WITB with pictures