TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Sub 70 699 Pro irons

Played a couple of nines last night (a warm up nine followed by a league nine). Neither were particularly good rounds (a cumulative 15-over for 18 holes). I'll do a brief hole-by-hole recap, focusing on the holes on which I hit the irons (which, in hindsight, is less often than I would have suspected).

• Hole 2: I hit 9 iron off the tee on the dogleg par 4. Good swing, good result: found the middle of the dogleg, 130 yards.
  • Hole 3: garbage 8 iron off the tee on a par 3. Chunk toe. The shot traveled 120 yards on a 150 yard hole.
  • Hole 4: safe 5 iron off a tight par 5 tee. Pushed it a little right, 175 yards. Third shot was from about 170; caught the 5-iron toe-side, but the shot was very straight and just barely short of the green. I was pleasantly surprised at the result given the contact.
  • Hole 6: after a drive into the right rough, pulled my 9-iron long and left of the green. The pulls with the short irons have become a bit of a troubling pattern recently.
  • Hole 7: nuked a 5-iron downhill with the wind; landed just in front of the green but rolled off the back: 227 yards.
  • Hole 8: found the left rough off the tee. Clubbed up to an 8 iron and hit the ball to 12' from 130ish.
  • Hole 9: after taking a drop from a ditch, found the green from 115 (uphill) with my PW.
  • Hole 10: cut the corner of a dogleg over trees into a stiff wind with the 6 iron (150 yards); just missed the green from 135 with 9 iron on the approach.
  • Hole 11: total garbage 8-iron approach: a completely fat shot that rolled forward 65 yards.
  • Hole 14: another hard pull 9 iron, missing the green left from 135.
  • Hole 15: hit the green on a short par 3 (117) with my PW, but again, pulled a bit.
  • Hole 16: yet another total garbage 8 iron (why does the 8 iron hate me). Dead turf underneath gave way and managed only 75 yards.

So what have we learned here?

• I'm not playing particularly well right now and my ball-striking is especially erratic. That's not the irons' fault.
  • My suspicion at this point is that the G700s have deeply ingrained in me the tendency to sweep my irons, taking virtually no divot. I doubt that's the best swing for these irons.
  • I have not yet figured out why I'm hitting these toe-side, especially since I tended to strike my G700s heel-side (and both sets have identical shafts).
  • I'm due for a serious garage practice session. There is no way that I can give these are fair evaluation until I grind with them a bit and find a swing idea that gives them a chance to succeed.
  • I still want these to work for me. They're beautiful irons, the feel awesome when struck well, they have very reasonable forgiveness on imperfect strikes, and they absolutely let you know right away where you erred.

A quick swing video: tried to cut the ball around the tree here, but ended up catching this one thin.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

5 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

It's in the desktop dashboard on the website, rather than the app. One of my complaints about Acrros is that different stats are available on the app than on the desktop. For instance, the desktop doesn't allow me to find my 1/2/3 putt percentages, and oversight that I find pretty inexcusable; the same data is readily available on the phone app.

TY

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

17 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nice shooting Tom!  When I spoke with Jason in spring 2019, as part of my search for new irons, he was suggesting either the 639CB's or 699's. Because I was really wanting to test irons as part of my iron fittings, and couldn't with the Sub70 clubs, I ended up not going with them... but sometimes think I should have done their demo option.  Anyway, I'm not unpleased with my G410's but now having subsequently hit the i210's and i500's, feel I could move into a PD iron and gain some additional yardage.  How would you characterize the 699 Pro - more PD than GI or vice-versa?  Thanks.

Good question. I played game improvment irons exclusively until this test. My Wilson D200's happen to have the same exact lofts except for the PW and the AW. So my expectation was that they would go the same distance. In testing they still are close to the same distance (maybe about 1/2  club longer). However the big difference is in the ball flight. I normally would have to play a little short and then get some roll out. Now the ball seems to climb more and drop softer allowing me to go for the pin more than I was used to. Keep in mind that I play the same ball but the shafts are different. I played a True temper uniflex shaft and now the KBS Tour V90 in stiff flex. Jason said that they would launch higher which is what I asked for. The biggest change for me is the consistent straight flight path compared to my game improvment irons. The 699 Pro's just really seems to set up well behind the ball for me. My accuracy has improved but it doesn't look like GolfSpy MPR is having the same results so far.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Good question. I played game improvment irons exclusively until this test. My Wilson D200's happen to have the same exact lofts except for the PW and the AW. So my expectation was that they would go the same distance. In testing they still are close to the same distance (maybe about 1/2  club longer). However the big difference is in the ball flight. I normally would have to play a little short and then get some roll out. Now the ball seems to climb more and drop softer allowing me to go for the pin more than I was used to. Keep in mind that I play the same ball but the shafts are different. I played a True temper uniflex shaft and now the KBS Tour V90 in stiff flex. Jason said that they would launch higher which is what I asked for. The biggest change for me is the consistent straight flight path compared to my game improvment irons. The 699 Pro's just really seems to set up well behind the ball for me. My accuracy has improved but it doesn't look like GolfSpy MPR is having the same results so far.

Cool - that’s exactly how a players distance iron is suppose to work. It stops the ball with less spin but a steeper descent angle. I can’t wait to get my hands on my babies in that other thread to see if it works for me. I’m not a high spin player - I spin wedges fine but have issues above 8 iron not so much in the rainy season but the rest of the year, especially at my club where the greens get very firm

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So now I am starting to be concerned. I just saw my new  USGA GHIN info. My handicap index is now at 1.6
  I don't know who this guy is, but I hope he doesn't crack under all this pressure. I am now at a level that I would never ever have thought possible for a past his prime kind of guy. I'm going to print out my card, laminate it and put it in my golfing memories scrap book. I just can't wait to play again this weekend. I really am a golf nut but these irons have really got me motivated and more focused on shot execution. You know how sometimes you just get complacent and you just go through the motions. I think I was like that the past couple of years. It was just a routine. Get up, go play with some people that  I would meet at the golf course, perhaps customers, or play a round of golf with my boss.  Shoot in the mid 70's and go home. I wasn't going to get any better!
So now I'm pumped. This is just freaking awesome. I'm sitting on the couch putting this post together and wishing I was playing golf. ( It's raining ) 

Don’t know how old you are but you impress me as like me. That was my experience and then I exploded in my mid 50’s and got to 1.2 and stayed between there and.8 for two plus years.

I even went 70,70,71,73 in a four consecutive competitive round sequence.

Here’s hoping you have that kind of run. It was so nice...

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

Don’t know how old you are but you impress me as like me. That was my experience and then I exploded in my mid 50’s and got to 1.2 and stayed between there and.8 for two plus years.

I even went 70,70,71,73 in a four consecutive competitive round sequence.

Here’s hoping you have that kind of run. It was so nice...

I turned 61 in June.  I hope that I can continue to play at this level for a while. But whatever happens, happens. I'm just grateful to have been selected for this test and the excitement that these irons have given me and the results that I can share with all of you. This has been a blast.

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I played a True temper uniflex shaft and now the KBS Tour V90 in stiff flex.

What is your 7i swing speed?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

What is your 7i swing speed?

70 mph

13 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

70 mph

Thanks. Asking because we're near same age and I'm looking into what folks are saying about the stock KBS shaft options.

17 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Thanks. Asking because we're near same age and I'm looking into what folks are saying about the stock KBS shaft options.

I thought for sure I was going to be fit to a regular shaft. But based on my 8 iron distance of 150 Jason said I should go with the stiff flex.  Weirdly enough when I was fitted for a driver I was put in a soft regular shaft for the Ping G400. It works perfectly for me. My irons are launching higher with the KBS Tour V90.

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I thought for sure I was going to be fit to a regular shaft. But based on my 8 iron distance of 150 Jason said I should go with the stiff flex.  Weirdly enough when I was fitted for a driver I was put in a soft regular shaft for the Ping G400. It works perfectly for me. My irons are launching higher with the KBS Tour V90.

Interesting thoughts! I play DG S300s in my irons, which are fairly heavy and stiff by all accounts. But I also play a lighter, less stiff shaft in my Ping driver. It’s labeled as a 65g stiff, but with a very high torque spec it feels more whippy than it actually is.

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Further thought on the data in the previous post: is this evidence that I might be a candidate for building a split set: the 699 Pros in the 7-PW, and the PING G700s in the 5 and 6?

Full WITB with pictures

Further thought on the data in the previous post: is this evidence that I might be a candidate for building a split set: the 699 Pros in the 7-PW, and the PING G700s in the 5 and 6?

If a growing number of touring pros are doing it - usually at 4 iron from them, then why not? I’m a huge fan of split or better progressive sets. When I did my ARCCOS dive yesterday (thank you)I was stunned to learn that I’m currently more accurate with 6 and 7 iron than 9, PW.

That has to be equipment - perhaps I’m even a 1 length iron candidate?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

7 hours ago, revkev said:

If a growing number of touring pros are doing it - usually at 4 iron from them, then why not? I’m a huge fan of split or better progressive sets. When I did my ARCCOS dive yesterday (thank you)I was stunned to learn that I’m currently more accurate with 6 and 7 iron than 9, PW.

That has to be equipment - perhaps I’m even a 1 length iron candidate?

Maybe a candidate for some hot Wilson forged irons. I hear they are some of the best performing long irons out there. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

In other news, I'm definitely coming around on my 699 pro 5i. I've gotten over the heel /hozel interaction and that is good, because it just does work. Pured a few shots with it today on the course, best being 188y to 3' for a nice birdie. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

I’m back home after a nice vacation.  I should be able to get back to playing this week and will have some additional updates as I, hopefully, continue progressing with these irons.  I’m going to get some Trackman time scheduled next week and am very interested in how these irons compare in both distance and dispersion.  From what I’m seeing on course, these are not quite a club stronger, but close.  My GIR is the same as it was with my Srixons, but my par 3 scoring average has improved slightly.  At the beginning of this test, my par 3 scoring average over the past 25 rounds was 3.4.  Not great, but I have dropped it to 3.2 since starting this review.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

On 8/16/2020 at 4:13 PM, Thin2win said:

Maybe a candidate for some hot Wilson forged irons. I hear they are some of the best performing long irons out there. 

Think your i500's are getting nervous? 😉

Several of you have asked about the wear of the black finish.  I finally remembered to take some pics.  The first pic is of the 7, 8, and 9 from left to right.  The 7i has the most wear, but I've hit it the most on the range.  I expected the finish to wear so it's not something I'm disappointed in or knocking Sub 70 for in any way.  If I practiced in drier conditions, I'm sure it would hold up better but my best practice time is early when there is dew on the ground.

wear.jpg.ce24e79691ba3b3f10a221d577a2c5d1.jpg

I couldn't get an angle to get the glare off, but it does show the markings.  Here are some individual pics...

7i

wear7.jpg.83cb6dd07b8e81b0ab59897fd34f80d6.jpg

8i

wear8.jpg.43c31fad789fe56df6610ebcd2fe9d8c.jpg

9i

wear9.jpg.a4873af546a4d4ed32b6fbb2faf17795.jpg

@GolfSpy MPR mentioned it in one of his posts on page 8, but the strike pattern definitely seems to drift toe side on these for me as well.  It's evident across the set, but these show the most wear.  When I look at these irons in the pics though, it looks like that may actually be where the COG is.  The problem though, is when a shot gets a little outside of that pattern.  I've started noticing some fliers lately out of the fairway and I'm not too fond of it.

I've mentioned the 699 Pros seem to be hotter, well...there is no seems to be at this point.  I'm not quite a full club stronger, but it's close.  The lofts on the 699 Pros are 1 degree stronger than my Srixon Z745s, except the 4 iron which is only .5 degree stronger.  About a week before this test began, I went to have to have my Z745s checked and adjusted if necessary, and went through the full bag to get my average carry distance with my irons.  My averages were...

4 - 215.3
5 - 206.5
6 - 197.5
7 - 185.7
8 - 170.4
9 - 155.1
P - 141.3
GW - 123.6
SW - 106.2

Now though, I seem to be about 3 yards short of a full club distance gain.  Where it's causing me issues is inside 150 which is no bueno.  It's one thing having a 18 yard gap between PW and GW, that's manageable.  It's another when that gap is almost 30 yards.  I've been grinding, trying to get the feel for flighting down the PW, but for someone who doesn't get a lot of range practice, it's tough.  I'm interested to get on the Trackman and validate the numbers though.  I've talked to Jason about maybe weakening the loft a degree through the set, but I'll consider adjustments after TM validation.

• Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Great pictures, thanks.  That would drive me nuts, so if I choose to pursue their irons, it will be non-coated/dark finish.

1 hour ago, Smellis745 said:

4 - 215.35

5- 206.5

6 - 197.5
7 - 185.7
8 - 170.4
9 - 155.1
P - 141.3
GW - 123.6
SW - 106.2

Just looking at those pretty gaps, almost 15y between each. The 5i stands out as not right. If your 6i was 1 degree stronger and you took the 5 out, you would had perfect 15y gaps from 125y up. 

WITB:

34 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Just looking at those pretty gaps, almost 15y between each. The 5i stands out as not right. If your 6i was 1 degree stronger and you took the 5 out, you would had perfect 15y gaps from 125y up. 

That was something we noticed as well.  The loft gap between the 4-6 is 3 degrees per club, after 6 it goes to 4 degrees, and then the 9-P are a 5 degree gap.  Same thing between my wedges, my sig needs updating.  I'm sure the lofts at the top end explains the gaps being closer.  The swing speed was not that different between the 5 and 6 though, 

Club - CHS - BS - SF - Launch - AoA

4i - 97.8 - 142.2 - 1.45 - 10.1 - (-4.4)

5i - 96.0 - 138.3 - 1.44 - 12.2 - (-4.6)

6i - 95.3 - 135.9 - 1.43 - 14.6 - (-5.1)

I've always been pretty decent at hitting the center of the face, it's the lining up of the swing path and face to path angles that doesn't always work out.

I really like these Sub 70 699 Pros.  They're definitely more forgiving on the toe side miss, which is where I miss 99% of my shots.  The problem I have is spin control out of the rough (not sure if Tom or MPR have seen that) and the bottom end gapping...maybe the solution would be a wedge set in the 48/53/58 range instead of 51/56/60.  We've had our county am and club championship within the past month and the bermuda rough has been pretty gnarly.  I've definitely been scoring better on par 3s though, but my overall scores have remained near the same.  I haven't beaten my handicap with them yet, but I've also not had them in the bag very long.  With my Srixons, that would occur 1/3 of the time and the rest was within a few shots on average.  Granted I've had those in the bag for almost 5 years, so familiarity is there.  I don't yet have that with the 699 Pros.

• Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

I mentioned in an earlier post that my gapping actually got better down in the wedge end. Based on the way I have been scoring lately I'm not inclined to change anything (Except for my Hybrid). Now my swing speed is not in your league but my distance gaps have been 10 yards between clubs pretty consistently. Also the lofts are the same as my old set so the transition was almost non existent except for the approach wedge. That's just my thing, to have the Gap / AW match the iron set.

I have not had an issue with control out of normal rough but the deep stuff is always "get me back to the fairway" I am not the hero player. I know what I can and can't do. I don't want to sound like a jerk but I'm not in the rough very often. This is a good problem to have but not for testing I guess. I know on my last round this past Sunday I was in the rough three times and all three found the green. This was with the AW, PW , and 7 iron. All were full shots (I have one of those memories).  Hole #3, 125 yards in with the PW,  hole #7, 100 yards with the AW, and hole #17 162 yard 7 iron. If I'm playing well, I want to keep on playing well and want to see how low I can score. Hey can you blame me? I'm on a roll with these irons.  

I  finish the round and realize I was supposed to try punching out from under a tree a few times or need to play out of the rough so I can report out on my findings. What I wind up doing is going back out to a few holes and complete the task. By the way all my punch out shots went very well. I use the 7 iron pressed forward with a restricted follow through. All went straight on their intended target except for one. I blame the pine cone I hit for that.  

I'll try to hit the range and hit some out of the rough to selected targets and let you know my results. But so far it has not been an issue actually better than with my other set. I believe part of it is due to the sole not being as wide and I can get to the ball better.      

In other news, I'm definitely coming around on my 699 pro 5i. I've gotten over the heel /hozel interaction and that is good, because it just does work. Pured a few shots with it today on the course, best being 188y to 3' for a nice birdie. 

I could do that but it will be with my 7 wood. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 8/11/2020 at 8:59 PM, Thin2win said:

Okay testers. I have a 699 pro 5i that I've been going back and forth with comparing to an i500. They both look great in the rack and in the bag, but I have a visual issue with the 699 pro at address. Wondering if any of you do as well? Or if it works for your eyes?

My issue, is the heel is really low. Compared to the i500s, or my Sub 70 639cbs. It is about 3mm short compared to either, and makes the club look very toe heavy. It has 1 less groove at the connection to the hozel compared to either, giving the top line a very sloped look. 

Have any of you noticed this? By reading your results, if you have it sure isn't affecting you. 

+1 there and happy to see that I’m not the only one that noticed that as well. I currently game the TM M1 irons and had strongly considered the 699 Pros as well ... but could not get past the appearance of the clubs at the heel/hosel area, it just looks very low to my eye. And that’s just from their website. Had some initial email exchanges with Jason and their team, but couldn’t pull the trigger ... fantastic customer service btw. 

Ended up buying a set of Cobra one lengths instead. 

Played forged irons for many years and absolutely miss the feel of them. Seems like the clubs players distance category have a very nice feel overall with the foam inserts. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

On 8/18/2020 at 11:09 AM, Smellis745 said:

That was something we noticed as well.  The loft gap between the 4-6 is 3 degrees per club, after 6 it goes to 4 degrees, and then the 9-P are a 5 degree gap.  Same thing between my wedges, my sig needs updating.  I'm sure the lofts at the top end explains the gaps being closer.  The swing speed was not that different between the 5 and 6 though, 

Club - CHS - BS - SF - Launch - AoA

4i - 97.8 - 142.2 - 1.45 - 10.1 - (-4.4)

5i - 96.0 - 138.3 - 1.44 - 12.2 - (-4.6)

6i - 95.3 - 135.9 - 1.43 - 14.6 - (-5.1)

I've always been pretty decent at hitting the center of the face, it's the lining up of the swing path and face to path angles that doesn't always work out.

I really like these Sub 70 699 Pros.  They're definitely more forgiving on the toe side miss, which is where I miss 99% of my shots.  The problem I have is spin control out of the rough (not sure if Tom or MPR have seen that) and the bottom end gapping...maybe the solution would be a wedge set in the 48/53/58 range instead of 51/56/60.  We've had our county am and club championship within the past month and the bermuda rough has been pretty gnarly.  I've definitely been scoring better on par 3s though, but my overall scores have remained near the same.  I haven't beaten my handicap with them yet, but I've also not had them in the bag very long.  With my Srixons, that would occur 1/3 of the time and the rest was within a few shots on average.  Granted I've had those in the bag for almost 5 years, so familiarity is there.  I don't yet have that with the 699 Pros.

That’s the one thing about purchasing new clubs in today’s stronger lofted era ... is the need to buy new wedges, or bend them 2° stronger. I’d certainly recommend looking at going 53/54° and 58° with your wedges. Really felt like I’d be sacrificing a lot in the short game area with creativity and flop shot by removing the 60°, but the 58° has worked out great for me. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

Played a couple 9-hole rounds yesterday: one with Kirke as a practice round for his upcoming tournament, and then a league match with my dad.

[It's awesome to play a game that transcends generations like this.]

Made a slight swing adjustment last night which seemed to aid my ball-striking quite a bit. A regular fault of mine is a hard sway into impact, getting out ahead of the ball. Made it a focus yesterday to make a more centered turn both back and through the ball, and saw immediately improvement in how I was striking the ball.

The first hole (the 10th) asks for an iron over a dogleg on the tee and then a very accurate approach. I hit both shots well, but each slightly offline. My 6-iron off the tee was pushed slightly, leaving a longer approach. My 8-iron into the green was a touch left, but still ended up pin-high from about 155. That's a good start.

I used my PW from 125 on 11, and once again hit the desired distance, but again slightly pulled.

My next iron was on the 13th. After driving into the woods, I had to pitch backwards to get back in play: good job on the 5-iron for successfully completing this tasks. From 180, I hit yet another pin-high iron, this time with a 6. It was left again, but I was gaining confidence with my ball-striking with each swing.

On 14, I probably had my worst iron shot of the day: an 8-iron from 150 that I push-faded weakly into a greenside bunker.

The next hole was my highlight of the day: we have a short, blind par 3 on our course. From 128, I hit my 9-iron to inches. I believe it's the closest I've even been to a hole in one. Kirke gets the photo credit:

image.png

My final iron swing of the back came on 17, after driving under some trees. The 5-iron again had a nice punch-out, this time just over 100 yards, trundling up onto the green.

In my league match, I'll condense the report: I made a total disaster of the easiest hole on the front by pulling a 9-iron into the woods, taking the penalty, and then hitting a 9-iron through the dogleg up to a tree on the far side. Other than that, things went swimmingly 🙂

The best hole on the front was the final one: a 420 yard, uphill par 4. I hit a big drive (for me), and then hit the 8-iron on a line with the flag. It ended up releasing to the back of the green, leaving a very fast downhill putt that I was happy to get home in two:

image.png

As I had hoped, after an initial turn the wrong direction in my stats, my approach play numbers are beginning to improve. Over the last few rounds, I'm trending in a decent direction:

image.png

This remains a work in progress. These are obviously great sticks. All else being equal, I'd much rather have them in bag than the G700s. It is simply a matter of me raising my game to match the irons.

Full WITB with pictures

35 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

All else being equal, I'd much rather have them in bag than the G700s. It is simply a matter of me raising my game to match the irons.

What about these is the improvement over the G700's that you would rather game them? 

WITB: