Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Iron or Wedge?

Just a quick question; Should your PW match your iron set or your wedge set?

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Pros and cons for each. Since PW is generally standard with most sets people play the set PW. GW the spot many people start making the switch from set to specialty wedge.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Depends on how you use it. If it is for full swings most advice will be for it to match your set. If you use it for a lot of partial shots then specialty wedge may be the way to go. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

If its a modern day/stronger loft on the PW imo I would want it to match what your irons have.

A long time ago when the PW was much weaker in loft I played a heavier stiffer wedge shaft (in reality just a normal dynamic gold tipped a little stronger) that more matched the sw. And as others have suggested, what feels good for you and gives you your needed distance. 

Completely up to you! Not a hard rule to even match every iron in the set. Each one should complement the others and fill a need in your game. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

The important thing to look at is gapping. If you pick up a pitching wedge or gap wedge not from your set it would need to closely match the loft of the sets pitching wedge or gap wedge. Other wise you could wind up with a gap in distance. Personally I prefer to get my set through the gap wedge, then use a different sand wedge and lob wedge. Then I select the loft of those two to be even steps to match the loft pattern throughout the set.

In the end it's your choice. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

In the past my wedges have always been Cleveland Rusty's. I found them so well balanced and they inspired confidence. When i was forced to change to  graphite shafts due to an illness I bought matching PW and AW Callaway Steelhead Pro wedges but still use a Cleveland RTX SW with steel shaft. It took me a while to get used to them but now I am just as confident with them as I am with the Clevelands. Only difference is that I find that you loose some feel with the graphite shafts.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I have gamed it both ways, currently I play JPX919 Hot Metal Pros. The PW is 45° and it in theory has a hotter face. First off, I do not try to hit any iron as far as I can. To me irons are about distance control and accuracy not max distance.

As a side note, last year I traded in my blades (MP5’s) for the more forgiving JPX919HMP. Yes they are longer and more forgiving and missed greens are closer than a mishit with the blades. This means more chips vs more pitches. One of the reasons I still gamed blades was that the spin on chips, and thus distance control, was better with blades.

I use the “Rule of 12” when chipping. Divide the distance to the flag by the distance to the landing spot on the green and subtract this number from 12. For example 24 total paces to flag and 8 paces to landing will give you 3 so subtract that from 12 and it is a 9 iron. 6 paces to landing and you have an 8 iron. Etc. I find that these hotter faces and different CG’s make it very easy to create more spin which will cause a higher launch and faster check on the green.

When I compare the HMP PW to my Vokey SM6 46° (which I bought new in the plastic recently, cheap because it is 2 models “old”) I can’t tell a big difference as far as the fuller shots go. But I run into the same issue with the HMP PW as I do the irons. A pitch will launch higher with more spin and thus check faster than I sometime want.

I stop my back swing at set locations in an effort to create distance control. I have used Scor 46-50-55-60 for a number of years but today I bought a SM8 50° and will swap the Scors, which are pretty worn, for new Vokey tomorrow. 46-50-54-58. I still have to commit to the 58 vs 60.

I also do not mind having my divided by distance. Say 125 and in is wedges. 130-180 is forgiving irons. 190 and up is hybrids and FM’s.

Some people say (Okay, Titleist said it on YouTube, so it must be true) that the sole of a Vokey wedge will interact better with the ground than a PW from the set. I can’t say that I’ve really had an issue with the HMP PW interacting badly at all.

It is all about inside 25’ from the green that makes the difference to me and being more able to make the low spinning low launching shot when I need it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

to piggy back off other replies, my opinion is this:

If you use your pw for mostly full straight forward shots, matching the irons might be bennificial, I think of my pw and gap as irons more so than wedges. ( I also have a sand and a lob that are not apart of the set)  But if you are someone who manipulates the face to create different shots with your pw you may want to consider straying from the set wedge.

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

I've done everything from playing specialty PW / SW / LW (back in the days of weaker lofted irons) to set PW / GW - specialty SW / LW.  And right now?  All irons are Cobra F8, 4i to LW.  But the GW / SW / LW are built like specialty wedges and do not match the set.  What does this mean?  Who knows.  My suggestion is to experiment to see what works best for you.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I tend to recommend that people stick with the PW that comes in the set. It is designed to respond similar to how your irons respond, like full swings. GW is where I begin to ask questions about how you use it. My GW came as a part of my set, but I use that for full swings as well, so it is great for me. Anything inside 105, I use my 54, which is a specialty wedge for the various shots I try to hit. If you will be using your GW more around the green or in ways that are different to the full swing, then I might start recommend a wedge that matches your others. 

I work at 2ndSwing, so I get these kinds of questions all the time! (I know that my employment doesnt guarantee correct knowledge, but I'm confident here!)

WITB:

Callaway Rogue ST - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Cleveland RTX4 58

#ROCKCHALK

My PW(43*) and my GW(48*) are part of my AP3 set, and my 52, 56, & 60 are vokey with various grinds and level of bounce. I look at my pw and gw as full swing clubs that I’d prefer to have the same weight and feel as my iron set.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Late to the thread and hope I don't repeat prior responses.

If it is a club I plan to "chip" with or rely on for full shots ....... I prefer it be in the mold of my iron set.

If it is more pitching or feel shots then I'd prefer it be in the mold of a Wedge  i.e. Vokey or Ping Glide

But - I generally use a 56* for everything that isn't full, and I don't ever hit it full.  So maybe I'm not a great gauge on this one.

Ideal set up for me.......PW & GW = iron set shape with max loft at 51 or 52* followed by 2 of the following ......... 54, 56, 58 or 60  which will be in the mold of a true wedge with variations of bounce blended in.

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams Pro 20*/23*  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

WEDGES: Callaway MackDaddy2 52*/56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

BALLS:   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

Most sets come with a PW standard so most people buy gap, sand and lob wedges separately.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I have played both sides of this, prefer a pitching wedge to match my iron set, due to durability more than anything 4 wedges every couple of seasons gets expensive, when I switch Irons every 2 years. I don't tend to use a PW around the greens and don't tend to punch a half PW into a green either. Looks from the replies and a general view of the tour that this is a 50/50 thing? 

WITB 2020 

:titelist-small: TS3 9.5 Degree - Tensei White 70X

:titelist-small: TS3 18 Degree - Tensei White 80X

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC Fli Hi 20 Degree - Project X Hzrdus 6.5 

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour - 4 - PW - X100 

:titelist-small: SM8 RAW 52, 56, 60 - S400 

:scotty-small: Special Select Newport 2.5 

:titelist-small: ProV1x Ball 

In my latest set I have matching 3i to AW including PW (3i and 4i are parked and using hybrids). I also carry 56' and 52' RTX 3.0. The reason is gapping for me 

PW is 130 yds Full, 90 yds "Half" Swing
AW is 120 yds Full, 80 yds "Half" Swing
52' is 110 yds Full, 70 yds "Half" Swing
56' is 100 yds Full, 60 yds "Half" Swing

I use the 56', 50 yds and in,  for chipping around the green and greenside bunkers.

On days when when it is firm I will  swap out the 3h for a 60' this again fits into the same gapping as above.

If I remember correctly I had to get the loft changed on the AW to be 2' stronger 48' c.f. 50', I also have all my wedges the same length as the PW 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, Nateyeight said:

There is no rule stating it has to match. 

Before matched sets were popular it was normal to have a wide variety of brands and designs. 

I would think it has more to do with how you use your PW. If you play one stock shot = set PW. If you play a variety of shots = specialty PW. 

A specialty PW just gives you bounce options and sole grind options that are different enough to change turf interaction to suit you. 

Most people play their set PW and add specialty Sand and Lob wedges. 

The Gap/approach wedge floats around depending on player preferences. 

I play set PW and Gap. My specialty wedges are my 54* sand and 60* lob wedges. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 8/4/2020 at 1:46 AM, Alf. S said:

In my latest set I have matching 3i to AW including PW (3i and 4i are parked and using hybrids). I also carry 56' and 52' RTX 3.0. The reason is gapping for me 

PW is 130 yds Full, 90 yds "Half" Swing
AW is 120 yds Full, 80 yds "Half" Swing
52' is 110 yds Full, 70 yds "Half" Swing
56' is 100 yds Full, 60 yds "Half" Swing

I use the 56', 50 yds and in,  for chipping around the green and greenside bunkers.

On days when when it is firm I will  swap out the 3h for a 60' this again fits into the same gapping as above.

If I remember correctly I had to get the loft changed on the AW to be 2' stronger 48' c.f. 50', I also have all my wedges the same length as the PW 

Great example. 

As I was looking at your makeup, you have two Gap wedges in your set. 

It makes perfect sense you needed to make the AW 2* strong for gapping. 

My set UW is 50* so I went with a 54* sand and 60* lob. 

We all find what works if we want to.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I haven't seen anyone post this yet but wedges that come with an iron set typically have their grooves cut (or cast) differently than stand alone wedges. The wedge with your set will likely have less aggressive grooves than say a Vokey wedge. However, that isn't all bad but it depends on your situation. If you love hitting flighted down shots that hop and stop then the stand-alone wedge may be for you. However, if you like taking full swings then the set wedge may be the better option. You're swing characteristics also matter. If you balloon wedges and aren't the best ball striker, then the set wedge may be a better option as they typically are a little more forgiving. You may also prefer the less aggressive grooves even if you are a better ball striker because you may get better control. Too much spin is too much and pitching wedges are certainly a club where using the set wedge may be advantageous. Just because you can use a stand-alone wedge doesn't mean it will always be the best option. 

As always, you have to get fit to know for sure and stay open minded with you're options.

16 hours ago, Buffly said:

Great example. 

As I was looking at your makeup, you have two Gap wedges in your set. 

It makes perfect sense you needed to make the AW 2* strong for gapping. 

My set UW is 50* so I went with a 54* sand and 60* lob. 

We all find what works if we want to.

Yeap the AW is normally 50' and I have had the loft strengthen to 48'. I also found years ago that I found it hard to hit a full shot with my 60' due to the shaft length so now all the wedges have the same length with is the same as the PW => 36"

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

for me I hit my PW as a full swing club so I want it to match my irons and same for my gap wedge  Sand and lob are specialty wedges for me.

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft