TESTERS WANTED! ×

NPG Episode 47: Should You Buy Used Golf Equipment?

Who can resist the shine of a brand new set of irons? All of us, apparently. Used golf equipment can be a smart buy, but beware the caveats.

2:01 - Should you buy used golf equipment?
28:52 - Most Wanted: Best Performance Gloves of 2020
📺 Watch NPG:

---------------------------------------------
BEST PERFORMANCE GLOVES OF 2020

Mizuno Elite: https://amzn.to/3e728jz
PING Sport: https://bit.ly/30Mtzua
Titleist Players Flex: https://amzn.to/2ZMGcVE
PING Sport Tech: https://bit.ly/3jEfGHa
Srixon All Weather: https://amzn.to/3gJDVSc

Read the full review here: https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-performance-gloves-for-2020/

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!

Over 9 million golfers a year turn to MyGolfSpy to get unbiased, tested reviews and recommendations for the best golf gear to help you improve your game.

Golfers like you turn to us because we're independent and unbiased. And, over the years, we've created the #1 resource for golfers who put cold, hard data above marketing hype.

#MYGOLFSPY #CONSUMERFIRST

Check out MyGolfSpy today! www.mygolfspy.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Used by over 9,000,000 forward-thinking golfers!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Subscribe to MYGOLFSPY on YouTube: bit.ly/MGSyoutube
OUR MISSION: mygolfspy.com/our-mission/

Check out MyGolfSpy's other channels!
--------------------------------------------

🏴REVIEWS: bit.ly/MGSreviews
🏴BUYERS GUIDES: mygolfspy.com/category/golf-b...
🏴NEW RELEASES: bit.ly/MGSnewgear
🏴PODCAST: podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast...
🏴DRIVER FITTING TOOL: truegolffit.com/

------------------------------------
MYGOLFSPY on Social Media
------------------------------------

🏴Twitter: twitter.com/MyGolfSpy
🏴Facebook: www.facebook.com/mygolfspycom/
🏴Instagram: www.instagram.com/mygolfspy/y/

Listen Here

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

4 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

I'm surprised nobody has commented yet.  Used equipment has the advantage of proof of product, either it performed well or was less than ideal.  The problem is used clubs for sale without an opportunity to hold and swing them, and go through routine and hit them, there is no way to determine if they will perform for the prospective owner.  

I haven't listened to the podcast yet;  usually a Sunday listen on my way to the golf course.    I buy used all the time as it is significantly cheaper than new.   While I occasionally buy from ebay or golf forums,  most of my purchases are at local golf shops where I have the opportunity to hold them and actually try them on a launch monitor.  You often find great deals since upgraded shafts aren't generally calculated as part of trade in value which gives you the opportunity to sell the shaft and get something that might work better.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I do believe in purchasing used golf clubs. There are so many options available to select one's brand of choice and/or entry level set options for newbies.

Years ago when I got into club repair I began buying used clubs to test and because I was curious. Then I went through a period where I would only buy new OEM clubs that I played but built component "like" club head models for testing.

Over the years I guess I got good at identifying which used clubs were good investments and which resellers were trustworthy. For the newbies I like forums WTS/WTB sections and or well known resellers that are reputable (both online and local golf shops).

I personally don't have a problem with ebay and other like online bidding sites but I have a trained eye and experience that I can accept the risk. Many do not have the experience to identify a safe buy while bidding.  But to answer the original question, Yes buy used. Just do a little research first and/or ask for guidance if you're unsure. 

Every golf season is the same for me - try gaming new stuff that we've done feature articles on until mid- or late-July, and then go back to my 2002 vintage MacGregor VIP 1025 CB/MB's that were purchased on eBay. I had them reshafted (with old Hogan Apex 4's) and adjusted 1.5 degrees flat - so they're what @BIG STU would call MacHogan's

Have generally had good luck on eBay, but then again I look for oddball/older stuff. The most recent purchase was a Callaway X Hot 2Deep 2 wood - had one several years ago and traded it in and regretted it the very next day. Finally found a replacement. Love that club.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Every golf season is the same for me - try gaming new stuff that we've done feature articles on until mid- or late-July, and then go back to my 2002 vintage MacGregor VIP 1025 CB/MB's that were purchased on eBay. I had them reshafted (with old Hogan Apex 4's) and adjusted 1.5 degrees flat - so they're what @BIG STU would call MacHogan's

Have generally had good luck on eBay, but then again I look for oddball/older stuff. The most recent purchase was a Callaway X Hot 2Deep 2 wood - had one several years ago and traded it in and regretted it the very next day. Finally found a replacement. Love that club.

Uhuuh So you know about MacHogans---- Yep you have been around me too long which is a good thing----- Unless you get run off from home

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Uhuuh So you know about MacHogans---- Yep you have been around me too long which is a good thing----- Unless you get run off from home

The other option would be Ho-Gregors, but I'm not sure that would be PC  😉

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Despite what the manufacturers tell us Irons haven't REALLY evolved that much over the past decade or two.....maybe three.  Are Blades today any different?  The Ping Eye 2 came out in 1989 and cavity back irons haven't evolved much since.  If your getting the same old technology albeit with new labeling…what is the point of buying new?

You can fund a very good set of well-kept irons for $300 on eBay that cost $1000 a year or two ago at the PGA superstore. 

Has anybody every REALLY worn out a putter?  Why not buy four or five different well-kept used ones for the price of one new one? 

Edited by bmcdonald

I've been buying used equipment from Callaway Golf Pre-Owned for more than 10 years.  Always quality products and service.  Of course, I am a Callaway fan.  Have saved $$$$ and don't mind playing with equipment that is 1 or 2 years old.  I'm 65 and play to a 9.

Apex 19 Irons and Wedges

Mavrik Driver

Odessey Stroke Lab 7s Putter

Chrome Soft Ball

BatCaddy Electric Cart

They did not go into used wedges. Do people see the change in spin consistency that Titleist claimed last year?

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

Some manufacturers, such as Callaway, Tour Edge and Taylormade, have certified preowned options that are at great discount pricing. Most have seen very little use. If you know your specs you can find great deals. If you have never been fit and do not plan on getting fit, used equipment can be a great buy, saving a ton of $$$. I have bought wedges from Callway pre owned that arrived still in plastic at $40 - $50 less than new. I personally steer clear of Ebay simply because of the amount fake products. I would not buy a used top end putter from anyone that I did not know.

:tour-edge: EXS 9.5 Tensei CK Blue (R)

:mizuno-small:ST180 3W Tensei CK Blue (R)

:tour-edge: CBX119 19*

:ping-small: I210 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 50* SS grind

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy Forged 54* & 58* both R grind

:odyssey-small: Protype Tour Series 3 

:ShotScope: V3 watch

:bridgestone-small:B XS or :taylormade-small: Tour Response

The right answer was at the end after all the long wandering discussion, “it depends.” New fitted is preferred but used is a viable option in a variety of situations, for some the only sensible option - not everyone can afford or justify thousands for a set of clubs. There are more risks buying used, some buyers can navigate those risks successfully, some ‘don’t know what they don’t know.’ No different than any other product.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

On 7/29/2020 at 10:50 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

There is also another name for them in the Carolinas---- Bastardized Macgregors------ I was always led to believe that the Hogan shaft conversion thing was a Carolinas thing but have learned differently being on here and WRX. In fact one of my forum buds form Minnesota knows all about them seen it done when he was a pup. Hey goes to my old saying "build and tune them like you like"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 7/29/2020 at 10:50 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

That only counts if you have more than one set 😜

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Id say that you most certainly can save some money if you buy used clubs but that's only assuming that you aren't constantly buying different clubs just to buy different clubs and get clubs that fit you fairly well.

Ive bought quite a few sets off of Ebay and you can get some deals.  I would say that Im also guility of buying too many used clubs, instead of just playing what I have.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have no problem buying used, especially if it’s certified used direct from the OEMs.

Since I know my specs it’s easier to shop for used gear..plus good quality gear can always be adjusted to my specs.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Great discussion! It wasn't covered in the podcast episode but what about used Golf Balls? Buying reclaimed Lake Balls can be a good way of getting a quality brand at a discount price, especially as now companies often grade their balls so you know what quality you are getting. Some balls look like they have only been hit once! 

Edited by Golf Green
Accidentally published post too early.

Great discussion! It wasn't covered in the podcast episode but what about used Golf Balls? Buying reclaimed Lake Balls can be a good way of getting a quality brand at a discount price, especially as now companies often grade their balls so you know what quality you are getting. Some balls look like they have only been hit once! 

They have talked about used balls in the past. I am pretty sure the thought was not to buy used golf balls

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I seem to recall there were a number of discussions around the topic and the consensus was that there was little if any performance difference between 5A used and new. I'll typically play 5A during casual rounds but always new for tournaments. However, I do stay away from refurbished and 4A or lower quality.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Everything in my bag is used other than driver and 58* wedge. I just don't trust buying a driver 2nd hand as you never know what beating it took. People love to stand on the range and bang drivers. The wedge I replace every 3 years to keep the grooves fresh as is the club I use for everything inside 80 yards.

When I bought my 714 Titleists, the 718s were on the rack for $1299. I paid $150 SHIPPED & new grips.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star