TESTERS WANTED! ×

Try Before You Buy

Scott33

I was looking into Global Golf’s “Utry” program where you can try out a club for $25 and decide to either send it back or keep it for the full price minus the trial fee.  I was wondering if anyone has done this or other similar programs that could share their experience.  If you decide to keep the club, are you getting a brand new club or one that has been tested by others first?

The only thing comparable that I have done is the 30 playing guarantee at the PGA SuperStore, they fit me to a M6 last year with the Epic Flash coming in a close second.  When my M6 got to me and I took it to the course it was nothing like the launch numbers in the store said it would perform for me, I took it back and swapped it for an Epic Flash and have not looked back, its still in the bag.   The club I got there was brand new, so that is most likely what they do at Global too. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

3 hours ago, DawgDaddy said:

The only thing comparable that I have done is the 30 playing guarantee at the PGA SuperStore, they fit me to a M6 last year with the Epic Flash coming in a close second.  When my M6 got to me and I took it to the course it was nothing like the launch numbers in the store said it would perform for me, I took it back and swapped it for an Epic Flash and have not looked back, its still in the bag.   The club I got there was brand new, so that is most likely what they do at Global too. 

Thanks for mentioning that. I looked into it and it looks like the return gets processed as store credit, which really isn’t too bad.  That seems like a good way to go. 

The Global Golf one makes me wonder what happens to the clubs that get returned from trials, I wonder if they just get marked as used?

• 2 weeks later...

I've done UTry twice now.  First with a Rogue driver a few years ago and last month with a set of MP-20 MMC irons.  The club you get is brand new in the wrap, the irons had all the mizuno packaging with them.  I had concerns about the mp20 MMC since I didn't like the 18 MMCs and wanted to try them on a real course and was able to play about 7 rounds with them.  For 50 bucks it showed me that I loved the feel and turf interaction of the clubs but need to get fitted for different shafts, which was a great thing to find out for $50

First thing, I'm not sure they can make it any easier.  You order, the clubs show up.  After the 2 weeks you get an email that asks you to say if you are keeping them or sending them back.  If you send them back you box them up, and use the shipping label they provided and drop it off at FedEx.  

I'm pretty sure they end up selling them on Ebay as used.  Which probably works out for them since they still sell them over what I assume is their cost and since they are not brand new I would think any agreement on MAP is out the door.  So they can move more product even if they make a little less on them being used.  

On 8/4/2020 at 10:21 AM, Jc2 said:

I've done UTry twice now.  First with a Rogue driver a few years ago and last month with a set of MP-20 MMC irons.  The club you get is brand new in the wrap, the irons had all the mizuno packaging with them.  I had concerns about the mp20 MMC since I didn't like the 18 MMCs and wanted to try them on a real course and was able to play about 7 rounds with them.  For 50 bucks it showed me that I loved the feel and turf interaction of the clubs but need to get fitted for different shafts, which was a great thing to find out for $50

First thing, I'm not sure they can make it any easier.  You order, the clubs show up.  After the 2 weeks you get an email that asks you to say if you are keeping them or sending them back.  If you send them back you box them up, and use the shipping label they provided and drop it off at FedEx.  

I'm pretty sure they end up selling them on Ebay as used.  Which probably works out for them since they still sell them over what I assume is their cost and since they are not brand new I would think any agreement on MAP is out the door.  So they can move more product even if they make a little less on them being used.  

That’s great info, it’s good to hear from someone who has tried it.  It is a pretty small price to pay to be able to try out the clubs on your own terms, and it’s good to know you had a positive experience with it.  Thanks for the response.

I've only used the UTRY program once so far.  I tired a full set of irons and they were brand new with the plastic wrap still on the heads.  In the end I shipped the clubs back because I just didn't like how they performed for me.  I had zero issues with having them shipped to me or returned.  The only thing I wish I had done differently is get the tracking number when I returned them.  Global Golf uses FedEx and since there's no FedEx store in my area, I used a local business to ship the irons back and I don't believe they were shipped back on the day I dropped them off.  

Global Golf's use of FedEx is the only complaint I have about them.  UPS and The Post Office are very predictable for their delivery times in my area, but since FedEx packages are sent out for delivery from a sort center that's two hours away from me, they aren't predictable at all.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour