Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Equipment fitting

So not that long ago there was an article about Taylor Made taking over as the NEW #1 equipment company. Just want to throw my 2 cents in.  The golf course I work at hosted a fitting session for Taylor Made and Calloway. Taylor Made sold close to $22000 worth of equipment. Call away comes in a week later and all they did was fittings.  Did not close a single deal with anyone!  No pricing, No nothing. Just told folks what they suggest.  Gave the Golf Director the information and then left. When asked if they sold anything they told the pro that was his job.  5 hours of work and not a single sale. Kinda missing the boat if you ask me. A name only goes so far. What’s your opinions??

Ken "Cruise" Mancini

I went to a demo day a few months ago. In my opinion the manufacturer should screen the reps better. I was excited to see that Srixon was going g to be there. Wanted to get fit for some irons and test out their driver. This rep was clueless in getting g the right equipment in my hands. When I picked up what was working for me( similar flex and loft to what I was using)  he would say that's not for you.  I was fit twice before to the specs I was using. He didn't have a launch monitor and kept pushing me toward Cleveland. Must get a bigger commission or something.  Cobra and Titleist always had people at their tent, Callaway came in third for activity.

In my opinion it is all about the salesman if all products being equal. The Srixon had good reviews in MGS. But this guy was turning people off. If I'm interested in something then that's what I want to try.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Interesting.  We had them back to back days at our course.   Appointment only and s couple were full bag fittings.  So they each only fit about 6 or 7 players. 

The TM rep was by far the most engaged and best salesman of the two. Not pushy but asked for the sales at least twice.  Got hit with several, let me think about it or check with the wife etc.   I took their info to follow up with each via email. 

Callaway next day. Guys were knowledgable and  pretty good at showing them the numbers.  But didn't push. 

Sold two sets of irons, a FW and driver without really trying.   Kinda speaks to how good the MAVRIK line is this year. 

I followed up with each TM customer and not even a word back 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

47 minutes ago, Cruise said:

So not that long ago there was an article about Taylor Made taking over as the NEW #1 equipment company. Just want to throw my 2 cents in.  The golf course I work at hosted a fitting session for Taylor Made and Calloway. Taylor Made sold close to $22000 worth of equipment. Call away comes in a week later and all they did was fittings.  Did not close a single deal with anyone!  No pricing, No nothing. Just told folks what they suggest.  Gave the Golf Director the information and then left. When asked if they sold anything they told the pro that was his job.  5 hours of work and not a single sale. Kinda missing the boat if you ask me. A name only goes so far. What’s your opinions??

From what you state, I read it as a difference in business model so to speak. I personally don't want a good fitter to be a salesman. At least not with OEM brands. I want the fitter to do what I think he or she should do best, professional club fitting. I will make my decision to purchase on my time line (maybe at fitting, maybe not).

Now if  we are talking about a club fitter that owns his or her own business that is different. (another conversation)

In your scenario I read that the Callaway guys doing the fitting and the club, pro-shop, PGA pro, whomever is going to sell the club(s).... Taylormade business model may be fitters get paid to fit and working on sales commissions.

What if the pro or course is under contract with Callaway and not Taylormade? I would expect Callaway club order process to already be in place at the course pro-shop, or through the pro on staff with Callaway. Any other company would have to rely on their own sales means and/or pre-arrange through demo days type event. May not be applicable in your scenario but it is in some places.

I have been to many demo days where the club vendors do the fittings, hand you your specs and you can go to the pro-shop to order and/or order from you preferred vendor. I don't have a problem with how either Callaway and Taylormade works in your example. But it does sound like Taylormade had a great day.

As far as number one company, yeah they were several years ago, released so many clubs each season the re-sale values tanked and they lost a somewhat favorable reputation. Callaway came back up and while recently it has lost its marketing guru's it supposedly still has the technology (AI/Jailbreak). Both companies will survive. Point to many of us is the club fitting part -- which company provides the proper clubs fitted and built to spec for the consumer. Thankful for MGS, MGS testing will yield any issues I am sure. 

• 2 months later...