Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Question About Score

So I made even par for the first time in my life the day before yesterday, on a 9 hole course here locally. I played said course again yesterday, didn't score as well, but if I add the two scores together I broke 80 for the first time, do you guys consider this my new PR? or does it only count if I play all 18 at once? I personally hadn't even thought of it until my buddy pointed it out. I'm not sure what to think, or if there is a rule on this, so I figured I would come to you more experienced folks for some opinions, or obscure rules knowledge.

Right Handed, My Bag:   M2 Driver 9 Degree Stiff shaft (2017);    RBZ Black 3W Ventus Stiff;   F7 3 Hybrid;   4-9 Iron Sub 70 699 Pro's standard length +2 lie stiff S300's;   48 Degree Sub 70 KBS Tour stiff shaft;    Bombtech 52/56/60 stock stiff shafts;   Evenroll Tour Stroke Putter 34 Inch  Gravity Grip;   Snell MTB.  I live in Southern Utah, 17 Handicap.

I'm not a go-to guy regarding rules.  But, I believe you can record in GHIN 9-hole rounds. It's quite remarkable for a 18+ hcpr to shoot even par. Ever! But you did it nonetheless. I assume you pared every hole or had a bunch of birdies. Every now and then the stars align.

Congratulations

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

5 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I'm not a go-to guy regarding rules.  But, I believe you can record in GHIN 9-hole rounds. It's quite remarkable for a 18+ hcpr to shoot even par. Ever! But you did it nonetheless. I assume you pared every hole or had a bunch of birdies. Every now and then the stars align.

Congratulations

3 Birdies, I had 4 INSANELY lucky shots. I.E. topped a hybrid, but the hole was way downhill of me, so i got almost full distance, flubbed a chip really bad that hit a sprinkler head that came up less than a foot from the hole. the whole 9 was the equivalent to a slop shot in billiards. skulled a 60 yard pitch that bounced off a rock and rolled up close enough for me to 2-putt. it was insane. I am definitely aware of the fluke which is that 9 hole round lol normally the lucky shots I got would have added 1-2 strokes per those holes.

Right Handed, My Bag:   M2 Driver 9 Degree Stiff shaft (2017);    RBZ Black 3W Ventus Stiff;   F7 3 Hybrid;   4-9 Iron Sub 70 699 Pro's standard length +2 lie stiff S300's;   48 Degree Sub 70 KBS Tour stiff shaft;    Bombtech 52/56/60 stock stiff shafts;   Evenroll Tour Stroke Putter 34 Inch  Gravity Grip;   Snell MTB.  I live in Southern Utah, 17 Handicap.

2 hours ago, Net Double said:

So I made even par for the first time in my life the day before yesterday, on a 9 hole course here locally. I played said course again yesterday, didn't score as well, but if I add the two scores together I broke 80 for the first time, do you guys consider this my new PR? or does it only count if I play all 18 at once? I personally hadn't even thought of it until my buddy pointed it out. I'm not sure what to think, or if there is a rule on this, so I figured I would come to you more experienced folks for some opinions, or obscure rules knowledge.

Speaking for myself and no one else, I wouldn't put two 9-hole scores together and claim a new 18-hole PR. Reason #1: playing the same 9-holes twice is not the same as playing 18-different holes. Many courses have the front and back playing very different for most golfers - one side seems easier, the other more difficult. Also, playing the same 9-holes twice (at least on the same day) provides you information you might not have otherwise have - i.e. pin position, and how to play the hole given current conditions. Reason #2: playing on two different days. So much can change - either in your favor or against - playing from one day to the next; from weather and course conditions, to how your feel personally (more prepared, athletic, awake, whatever, etc.). 

Having said all of that, I wouldn't negate the positives of posting a good 9-hole score - regardless of how you got there. You may have had some lucky breaks, but I'm also sure you hit some real quality shots. This means you got a good glimpse at your potential and it should push you harder the next time you tee it up or practice - you want to match or even beat that score, it's just human nature (or at least golfer nature 😉 ).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Speaking for myself and no one else, I wouldn't put two 9-hole scores together and claim a new 18-hole PR. Reason #1: playing the same 9-holes twice is not the same as playing 18-different holes. Many courses have the front and back playing very different for most golfers - one side seems easier, the other more difficult. Also, playing the same 9-holes twice (at least on the same day) provides you information you might not have otherwise have - i.e. pin position, and how to play the hole given current conditions. Reason #2: playing on two different days. So much can change - either in your favor or against - playing from one day to the next; from weather and course conditions, to how your feel personally (more prepared, athletic, awake, whatever, etc.). 

Having said all of that, I wouldn't negate the positives of posting a good 9-hole score - regardless of how you got there. You may have had some lucky breaks, but I'm also sure you hit some real quality shots. This means you got a good glimpse at your potential and it should push you harder the next time you tee it up or practice - you want to match or even beat that score, it's just human nature (or at least golfer nature 😉 ).

Thanks for your input! this is how I felt, but was not sure since I just started in June last year, (at least trying to learn how to get better/rules and such) and my buddy who is as experienced as I am (not much) was so excited by it.

Congratulations

Using GHIN, you can post a 9 hole round but it puts it into a hold until the next 9 hole round is played then combines it. GHIN will show it as a combined round and it doesn't matter where it's played since GHIN requires you to select a course and tee box for handicap purposes.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

25 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Using GHIN, you can post a 9 hole round but it puts it into a hold until the next 9 hole round is played then combines it. GHIN will show it as a combined round and it doesn't matter where it's played since GHIN requires you to select a course and tee box for handicap purposes.

I haven't actually paid for GHIN yet since Im not interested in competing, I am just in it for the love of the game, and want to get as good as I can. I keep track of my "handicap" through  the Golfshot app 

You had a PR 9 holes the first day. I wouldn’t count it as an 18 hole PR because it was two different days. Also for me 18 hole PRs need to come on a course with 18 different holes and not the same 9 twice...that’s just my opinion 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

BIG congrats on shooting an even 9 hole round.  Hell of an accomplishment. 

You didn't play 18 though, so don't even worry about 18 hole accomplishments.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

9 hole PR...but not an 18 hole so you can’t count breaking 80 at least in my opinion.

But congrats on the even par 9....that’s a hell of an accomplishment!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 4 weeks later...

Unless you are playing in a league, or for a club championship or something (which I don't), I encourage you to view your golf game however you want.  Don't worry about what other golfers think of how, or what exactly was done.  If you think it is your best round ever, THEN IT IS, I say it is for whatever that's worth.  Play to have FUN.  Abide by whatever rules you want to, or don't want to in your day to day games.  Now when the day comes you and I are going to play and compare scores for "Who won and who lost", then we'll have to take 5 minutes before we start and decide what we're going to count and what we aren't, are we going to play out of the un-raked bunkers or not etc., etc.  Otherwise play to have fun, however you want to, and enjoy the game.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 4 weeks later...

Personal best for 9 holes, period. you did not play 18 that day. What you did days later is a different round of golf. Not trying to rain on your round, that is a great round and congratulations. but you asked if what you did days ago, and what you did yesterday count as breaking 80. I say NO, you shot even par on 9. 

If I played a week ago and had 3 birdies on holes 1-3 then came back today and had birdies on 4-6 and parred 7-9 between the two days does that mean i shot 6 under for a round?  

You played a great 9 holes, lucky or not. No one can take that from you. You shot par on that course on That day... that's it.. My thoughts,  As someone who has never shot par on any course, that is a great accomplishment. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Reesedw

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

23 hours ago, Reesedw said:

Personal best for 9 holes, period. you did not play 18 that day. What you did days later is a different round of golf. Not trying to rain on your round, that is a great round and congratulations. but you asked if what you did days ago, and what you did yesterday count as breaking 80. I say NO, you shot even par on 9. 

If I played a week ago and had 3 birdies on holes 1-3 then came back today and had birdies on 4-6 and parred 7-9 between the two days does that mean i shot 6 under for a round?  

You played a great 9 holes, lucky or not. No one can take that from you. You shot par on that course on That day... that's it.. My thoughts,  As someone who has never shot par on any course, that is a great accomplishment. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for chiming in 2 months later with all those strong feelings. maybe read the thread next time and you wont have to be so upset at what someone pretty new asked. Good luck with your future endeavors.