TESTERS WANTED! ×

Short Game Practice Advice

Hi everyone.

Not sure if people will be able to answer this, but thought it could be worth a shot.

At the moment I'm struggling with getting shots around the green close. I get them to about 8-10 feet rather than inside 4ft; then losing a shot most of the time on a hole. I'm striking them well, I'm just struggling to get a feel for how they will react on the greens, and adjusting for different lies (uphill lie, downhill lie etc). My initial thoughts are to find a quiet green with a bunch of balls and just keep hitting different shots to gain better feel. Trouble is, because of COVID restrictions in my area, you're not allowed to do that; you're only allowed to go to a course for a booked round of golf. I can do drills at home to land a ball on a spot, but that's only part of my current battle.

Anyone got any alternate ideas for achieving this? There might not be a feasible solution, but who knows unless you ask around. Maybe I'm stuck until restrictions change.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

Just a couple questions to get better feel of what you’re asking? Which type of shots are you struggling? Chips, pitches, bump and runs? Which ball are you using? What happens with different lies for you?

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

8 hours ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

Hi everyone.

Not sure if people will be able to answer this, but thought it could be worth a shot.

At the moment I'm struggling with getting shots around the green close. I get them to about 8-10 feet rather than inside 4ft; then losing a shot most of the time on a hole. I'm striking them well, I'm just struggling to get a feel for how they will react on the greens, and adjusting for different lies (uphill lie, downhill lie etc). My initial thoughts are to find a quiet green with a bunch of balls and just keep hitting different shots to gain better feel. Trouble is, because of COVID restrictions in my area, you're not allowed to do that; you're only allowed to go to a course for a booked round of golf. I can do drills at home to land a ball on a spot, but that's only part of my current battle.

Anyone got any alternate ideas for achieving this? There might not be a feasible solution, but who knows unless you ask around. Maybe I'm stuck until restrictions change.

If you can get consistent at getting the ball to a spot, you should be golden. I assume you can manipulate lies at home, but it’ll just be a matter of understanding how fast the greens are to either add or take away carry. The ball will roll out a certain distance based on what club you use and how far you carry it. There is a general rule that a PW will roll out 1:1 with how far you carry it, a LW 2:1, a 6i 1:3. Going off this general rule, you should be able to adjust for uphill/downhill lies. Over time, you can start keeping track of how far each of your clubs rolls out, and use that metric to pace out your short game shots. Then, if you read the green correctly and make good contact, the ball should end up close more often than not. Carrying it to your spot is a big part of the battle!

Edited by jddaigneault

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

9 hours ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

Hi everyone.

You didn't get to be an 8 'cap without a decent short game.  As you say, it's difficult to practice short game shots under the current restrictions, and if you can't practice on the course, your skills will diminish over time.  It's probably the main reason I've slipped from an 8 to a 10.  I'm just not spending the time I used to.  Feel comes with repetition.  Maybe you could play a "practice round" by informing your playing partners that you want to hit multiple shots around the greens.  If they don't have a problem and you aren't holding up group behind, hit your shot; if your results aren't acceptable, take a mulligan.  Hey!  It's a "practice round".

I wouldn't worry about it; your feel will come back when you can practice more.  With that said, how close you get the ball also depends on your lie, your distance from the pin, and green conditions as well as your strike.  Are the conditions of the greens the same as before COVID?  Ours were slower for a few weeks after our course opened.  Were you long/short/left/right?  If you are consistently short, it may be a matter of adding a little too much loft to the club you are using.  If you played the ball as you wanted and made a decent strike, were the results reasonable?  If not, maybe your decision making on shot type needs rethinking.  

Inside 4 feet is a great goal, but if you watched the pros last week, I saw many shots closer to your 8-10 feet, so the pros don't always get it close.  From there the pros make about half of their putts.  If you lose a shot "most of the time", then you can spend time working on putting.  

Sorry I can't be more help, and I agree that on the course is the best place to practice short game shots.  Hopefully, the situation will improve soon... for all of us!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have a decent sized garden and a long lawn so I can probably hit chips 30 feet at either alignment posts or a chipping net. All throughout lockdown I would go out and hit 40-100 balls a day.  I also take a wedge into my lounge and practise getting clean strikes of the carpet, ball is going only 5 feet. I should be a great chipper! Afraid not. I think I have developed 3 different setups and when I'm out on the course I just seem to freeze maybe lose a couple of strokes a round due to bad chips and trying to hit high shots forward in my stance. 

I'm going back basics and putting a 60' wedge back in my bag. The practice is now on course or we have a kids 5 hole course that doubles as a chipping area. I tend to go out mid-afternoon by myself and will try and get a tee time that has no bookings behind me. I will then drop 3 or 4 balls at the side of the green and chip around the hole trying to judge bounce and roll out.

I am also following Padraig Harrington on Instagram he is giving a lot of good short game videos!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Hi everyone.

What percent of the time are you getting up and down and what is the percentage you think you should?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/28/2020 at 12:09 AM, cnosil said:

What percent of the time are you getting up and down and what is the percentage you think you should?

Based on my last round it was 0%. Hit 13 GIR with 13 pars and when I didn't hit the green it was bogey or worse. I don't have the exact stats for other rounds on me right now, but they weren't great either. Obviously it depends on the types of greenside shots you leave yourself, but I would like to get it to at least 40% on average, then some days you play well and it's higher.

Srixon ZStar

On 7/27/2020 at 11:44 PM, Kenny B said:

Maybe you could play a "practice round" by informing your playing partners that you want to hit multiple shots around the greens.  If they don't have a problem and you aren't holding up group behind, hit your shot; if your results aren't acceptable, take a mulligan.  Hey!  It's a "practice round".

I like that idea. I'll have a think about where I can do so.

Srixon ZStar

On 7/27/2020 at 9:14 PM, jddaigneault said:

If you can get consistent at getting the ball to a spot, you should be golden. I assume you can manipulate lies at home, but it’ll just be a matter of understanding how fast the greens are to either add or take away carry. The ball will roll out a certain distance based on what club you use and how far you carry it. There is a general rule that a PW will roll out 1:1 with how far you carry it, a LW 2:1, a 6i 1:3. Going off this general rule, you should be able to adjust for uphill/downhill lies. Over time, you can start keeping track of how far each of your clubs rolls out, and use that metric to pace out your short game shots. Then, if you read the green correctly and make good contact, the ball should end up close more often than not. Carrying it to your spot is a big part of the battle!

I like this drill from Brett Rumford. I've got it in mind for once restrictions ease.

Srixon ZStar

Based on my last round it was 0%. Hit 13 GIR with 13 pars and when I didn't hit the green it was bogey or worse. I don't have the exact stats for other rounds on me right now, but they weren't great either. Obviously it depends on the types of greenside shots you leave yourself, but I would like to get it to at least 40% on average, then some days you play well and it's higher.

Pretty realistic expectation. Often people are getting up and down 30-40% and say they are terrible because they expect to be at 80%.

This is an area I struggle with. For me a lesson was the best thing I did. Still working on my short game but learning proper technique was a crucial. I also switched from primarily using my 54 to using my 51 which has gotten me closer to the hole on short pitches and chips.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Played last round and got up and down at a little over 50%. Turns out posting on an online forum instantly improves your short game.

Srixon ZStar

1 hour ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

Played last round and got up and down at a little over 50%. Turns out posting on an online forum instantly improves your short game.

I think I need to post more.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I chip across the backyard to some chipping nets I have set up at 10-15-20 yards. That helps to “hit your spot” but it sounds like you are looking more for practice on how to control the ball once it hits the green.

That’s hard to practice without a good short game area

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Something I do, when I feel my touch is off, is to imagine I'm throwing a ball underhand to the hole.  I imagine a spot on the green I want to land it and roll out.  I actually swing my arm back and forth and imagine what it would take to get the ball to the hole.  I actually do the same for putting for longer putts when I feel my touch is off.  

Sometimes I feel silly doing this, but if it shaves strokes, I don't care what people think.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

On 7/26/2020 at 11:16 PM, Blueberry_Squishie said:

you're only allowed to go to a course for a booked round of golf

What if you showed up a "little early" for your tee time? 😉

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

1 hour ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

What if you showed up a "little early" for your tee time? 😉

You receive a 4 week suspension.

Srixon ZStar

53 minutes ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

You receive a 4 week suspension.

Wow, thats harsh, sorry to hear that. I hope everything gets better in your neck of the woods soon.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

It's a typical big misconception. You watch the PGA on the weekend and when guys miss greens they're chipping it to inches. Got to remember you're watching what they want you to see. And even then this is one of the top 100 players in the world with his game firing on all cylinders.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

23 hours ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

Wow, thats harsh, sorry to hear that. I hope everything gets better in your neck of the woods soon.

It is what it is. Where I am COVID was contained very well initially but in my state (Victoria) there has been a resurgence that is threatening to get out of control. So to avoid it getting out of control like we've seen in so many parts of the world, severe restrictions on movement and activities have been made.

My thoughts on the matter are that golf will still be around, people's lives not necessarily so.

Srixon ZStar