TESTERS WANTED! ×

JPX 921's

Tsecor

9 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Yeah that is why I'm planning to wait until they hit the shelves to do a fitting. Hopefully they will have a demo set of each I can hit and use that to make a decision on the gapping once the other parameters are determined.

It will be interesting to see how the forged blend with the tours seeing as the forged are getting stronger while the tours are not. Forged 7i will be 31 while the Tour 8i will be 38. Going to need a lot of bending to fix that gap

Mizuno replied to my question on the youtube video from today. Specs for the line-up are coming with the pricing on Monday.  

That's quite a gap! Maybe have to do it at the 7i then and just do 5-6 in Forged.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

48 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Yeah that is why I'm planning to wait until they hit the shelves to do a fitting. Hopefully they will have a demo set of each I can hit and use that to make a decision on the gapping once the other parameters are determined.

It will be interesting to see how the forged blend with the tours seeing as the forged are getting stronger while the tours are not. Forged 7i will be 31 while the Tour 8i will be 38. Going to need a lot of bending to fix that gap

Mizuno replied to my question on the youtube video from today. Specs for the line-up are coming with the pricing on Monday.  

Everything is coming Monday.  Now that they have said that, so can we I guess 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Just picked up my Mizuno 919 Tours for an absolute steal, still fully custom fit had some credit with my course pro shop and after a bit of negotiation between the head pro and mizuno sales rep. I didn't feel as upset as I thought I might seeing these....

WITB 2020 

:titelist-small: TS3 9.5 Degree - Tensei White 70X

:titelist-small: TS3 18 Degree - Tensei White 80X

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC Fli Hi 20 Degree - Project X Hzrdus 6.5 

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour - 4 - PW - X100 

:titelist-small: SM8 RAW 52, 56, 60 - S400 

:scotty-small: Special Select Newport 2.5 

:titelist-small: ProV1x Ball 

Chances are slim to none that I'll get these, only because I got 919 Forged''s in March and there's no way "the boss" would approve a new iron set.  Doesn't mean I'm not interested though; if the 921s are truly more forgiving and generate the same distances (or perhaps even more) I'd be shocked if they don't dominate the next Most Wanted test.

And just a thought on blending HM and Forged....I know it's fun to scheme and plan, but wait until you get fit and then make up your mind.  Personally the Forged 919's are so forgiving I can't see you're gaining much by blending some Hot Metal long irons in.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I have never had a forged iron.  I am strongly leaning toward getting fit for a set of these.  If my wife allows it of course.  These look so good.  Would be nice to see a top line view of the club.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

On 8/3/2020 at 10:10 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Everything is coming Monday.  Now that they have said that, so can we I guess 😎

Do you know if "everything" includes this amazing new wedge I've seen people talking about? 

Also, do we think pricing is going to hold at what 919 originally was or should we be saving a little extra in the piggy bank for a price hike?

Edited by ChitownM2

In case anyone missed it, Tony Covey's write-up is on the main page...

https://mygolfspy.com/mizuno-jpx921-irons-and-jpx-fli-hi-hybrids/

VERY interesting to read that the 921 Forged will be a degree stronger, and forged from a different metal from the 919.  Now I am REALLY interested in how these fair, and if they retain "Mizuno feel"...

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Those Hot Metals look gorgeous. Well, I mean they ALL do, but those are the only ones I could conceivably game! 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 8/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, ChitownM2 said:

Do you know if "everything" includes this amazing new wedge I've seen people talking about? 

Here you go!

https://mygolfspy.com/mizuno-es21-wedge-more-than-meets-the-eye/

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yup, great write-up, will give these a long look too.  

Titleist has talked a big game about manipulating CG in the Vokey lineup year-to-year, but if memory serves they were behind Mizuno (and Ping) on hydrophobic properties.  Getting Vokey's in the spring might not be the automatic purchase it normally is...

I've been looking for irons for years. I'm still using decade old nike slingshots. But holy crap, between these and the new P770s i may just have to bite the bullet this year and finally retire the Nikes.  Wish they were still in the club business, but at this rate, no way they can compete with the big dogs anytime soon.

WITB 2023

:callaway-small: Driver: Big Bertha 2015 Model - Fubuki shaft (I think its time for an upgrade)

:nike-small: 3-Wood: VRs 15 degree

:taylormade-small:Irons: SIM2 4-AW

Wedges: :nike-small: Victory Red  LW-60/10, :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4 SW-56/10

Putter: :nike-small: Method Core MC-3i

....I may have loved/still love Nike and miss them making golf clubs💔

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I was liking everything I was reading until I got to the very end and read $200/club. Ouch! I don't know where the tipping point lies, but I was thinking that Glide 3 wedges were expensive but a possibility, but at $200 that's a steep price for marginal improvement. 

12 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

I was liking everything I was reading until I got to the very end and read $200/club. Ouch! I don't know where the tipping point lies, but I was thinking that Glide 3 wedges were expensive but a possibility, but at $200 that's a steep price for marginal improvement. 

Yep, I tend to agree, that's a bit of a jump in price for sure. 

Glad they kept the color scheme. Must test! 

The lofts are strange, it's almost impossible to blend anything with the tours at the bottom. Forged 7i is 31 degrees and the Tour 8i is 38. Even going from the HM Pro to Forged in a split set you would have a 6* gap between 7 and 8i. Seems like they focused a lot on split sets with the MP line, but not the JPX which is kind of odd to me. I wonder if they just didn't sell many split sets in the 919s? I feel like it was a focal point of the 919 line that they all blended together seamlessly?

1 weak in the Forged, 2 strong in the Tour

The lofts are strange, it's almost impossible to blend anything with the tours at the bottom. Forged 7i is 31 degrees and the Tour 8i is 38. Even going from the HM Pro to Forged in a split set you would have a 6* gap between 7 and 8i. Seems like they focused a lot on split sets with the MP line, but not the JPX which is kind of odd to me. I wonder if they just didn't sell many split sets in the 919s? I feel like it was a focal point of the 919 line that they all blended together seamlessly?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Interesting Chris V says the Chromoly 921F will have a “softer feel,” and MGS says they’re expecting a harsher feel - “isn’t going to feel quite as buttery as 1025E.” The only way I’d buy 921F’s over my 900F’s would be if they have a softer feel and/or more forgiveness. Sounds unlikely.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

On 8/2/2020 at 10:49 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yes if course we have to have discussion on them until more info comes straight from the horses mouth.   But like YK said above people make definitive negative comments—not saying you did—then seemingly forget they ever said that when they are released. 

I too generally hold back until I’ve seen and hit somethig.  MAVRIK is a perfect example of that.  It got crucified over the orange when the prerelease photos showed up.  Now its the best selling iron on the market, snd i have a set on the way.  

Ooooo. Sneaky man!!! I see what you did there! You hid the new purchase in THIS thread.... 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

4 hours ago, Middler said:

Interesting Chris V says the Chromoly 921F will have a “softer feel,” and MGS says they’re expecting a harsher feel - “isn’t going to feel quite as buttery as 1025E.” The only way I’d buy 921F’s over my 900F’s would be if they have a softer feel and/or more forgiveness. Sounds unlikely.

Interesting pick-up! Designer says softer, MGS says harsher...... Will it be an “in the hands of the beholder” kind of answer to this one????

I will say this, those Hot Metal Pros I played for a few months really were great irons!!! I loved the look, the feel, dispersion, etc. The only issue for me was having a PW fly 158 when I’m thinking 145... From the fairway.... I didn’t need 5 wedges, and I couldn’t figure out how to incorporate a 4 iron that rolled-out over 255 yards! I’m sure the Tour is more my club.

416A0E2B-90EC-4A97-8EF8-C311CB331AE5.png

46 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I will say this, those Hot Metal Pros I played for a few months really were great irons!!! I loved the look, the feel, dispersion, etc. The only issue for me was having a PW fly 158 when I’m thinking 145... From the fairway.... I didn’t need 5 wedges, and I couldn’t figure out how to incorporate a 4 iron that rolled-out over 255 yards! I’m sure the Tour is more my club.

I always thought it was interesting how a player of your level and length would end up with the HMP. I would have thought the Tour/Forged were the no-brainer.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I’m beyond disappointed with this release, and it’s the one I’ve been waiting/asking about all year.

Mizuno has shown once again they have no desire to even try appeal to the LH golfer compared to any other OEM, so I’m finally ready to stop even considering them as an option, even though the HMs would be perfect for me.

Why? 

When reading Tony’s article my eyes were drawn to the hybrid. It made the HM set perfect for me, blend two or three in with the irons, and at the same $125 per price point? All I had to do was wait for the preorder date, right? Eh, no. Mizuno does NOT offer the set matching hybrids in lefty. Thanks for nothing Mizuno.

Then we get to my 31 year old nephew, who has been dying to purchase a new set of irons. I’ve told him to wait for the 921 forged to come out... they’d be the perfect club for him. Guess what? NOT available in lefty this release. Once again, thanks for nothing Mizuno.

The final stroke of brilliance by them? Aside from the cast Hot Metals, the only forged iron they now make for lefties is the SEL, which as someone has so sagely pointed out, “applies to 10% of a 10% market. Once again, brilliant move, and thanks for nothing Mizuno.

This is 2020, not 1980, and if you aren’t even going to try to give Southpaws basic options like a set matching hybrid, or a forged mid cap option, I don’t see a need to even consider any other club in your line up.

Rant over...😉

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

I'm sure these flat out perform in all categories, but I have to say I prefer the look of the prior generation.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

Ooooo. Sneaky man!!! I see what you did there! You hid the new purchase in THIS thread.... 

LOl, I snuck it into another thread today as well 🙂

32 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

LOl, I snuck it into another thread today as well 🙂

Congratulations on the new sticks, I think you’re going to love them!

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I’m curious about what led to your new purchase.

We seem to have similar games, and I play the Rogue X irons. I know you try a lot of different clubs (as do I), so I’m going to assume you tried the Rogue X when they came out?

My question is, what did you see and like about the Maverick that you didn’t about the Rogue X? I must have demoed the Maverick about 10 different times, lol, and I get the same numbers with the X...

Again, like you, I had the T300s, but quickly went back to the X, as they were longer, at least as forgiving, and had a “softer” feel in my opinion.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

5 hours ago, Kanoito said:

I always thought it was interesting how a player of your level and length would end up with the HMP. I would have thought the Tour/Forged were the no-brainer.

After a fitting with PXG, I was looking for irons with a tighter gapping of dispersion front to back, and I didn’t get along with the Tours in the Mizuno fitting. Overall dispersion was much tighter with the HMP, and I liked the feel and flight characteristics better than the Forged. I could’ve taken Forged as well, really not much difference in distance. As usual in a fitting, what I saw on the monitor with just the one club was in the window of what I was looking for. I have yet to find a fitter with anything other than one iron to try, so I did the math on gapping and thought they’d be just like what I saw from PXG. 
For the most part they were, but distances in real-life, real conditions in the hot summer, showed to be longer than the fitting. They felt great, looked great, were consistent, and forgiving, but ultimately longer than what I saw in the fitting.

If I didn’t have to buy additional wedges, I would’ve kept them. I just couldn’t see how to fill the bottom of the bag without spending an additional $400....

4 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Congratulations on the new sticks, I think you’re going to love them!

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I’m curious about what led to your new purchase.

We seem to have similar games, and I play the Rogue X irons. I know you try a lot of different clubs (as do I), so I’m going to assume you tried the Rogue X when they came out?

My question is, what did you see and like about the Maverick that you didn’t about the Rogue X? I must have demoed the Maverick about 10 different times, lol, and I get the same numbers with the X...

Again, like you, I had the T300s, but quickly went back to the X, as they were longer, at least as forgiving, and had a “softer” feel in my opinion.

Yeah, a lot to unpack there, and I'll probably start a thread on them once I get them and the post some thoughts there.

What led me to them.  Really two things.  In February, I attended a staff education day put on by Callaway and the local reps.  It's a really good day they do each year for accounts in the area.  R&D guys from Carlsbad come out and give a presentation on the entire new line of clubs that morning.   Then after lunch, they take over the range.  This course where they hold it has incredible facilities.   Grass area as well as a artificial turf line,  enclosed hitting bays with Top Tracer that hit out onto the range, and huge short game area for wedges and putters.

So I got to hit everything that day from putters to drivers.  Last year 2019, they boldly claimed they had the best lineup in their history from top to bottom, I disagreed completely after trying just about everything.  I think they were a year early in their proclamation.   I hit everything this year from Triple Track Putters to MAVRIK drivers.  I first hit the irons there and liked them a lot, then the Pandemic hit.

FF to July, we reopen and have a Callaway Fitting day at our our course.  I worked with the rep all afternoon in the fittings, and I saw guys come through with swing speeds from 65 mph irons to 100 mph 6 iron.  Whatever MAVRIK head he put them in just flat out worked.   There was one guy who was about my size, my handicap and maybe 1 to 2 mph more swing speed.  He was just purring the MAVRIK irons.   Near the end of the day, when things slowed down, I hit a couple with a few different shafts.  The one I hit the best was the regular MAVRIK with the Modus 105 shaft.   Anybody that knows me, knows I'm Titleist true and true, but I also can admit when something works, and these worked.

We'll see i they hold up under everyday pressure.  Can't wait to try them.  

AS for the Rogue's  Yes, I did try them last year, at the same education day, and actually ordered a demo 6 iron, I just never liked it or hit it well.  It's collecting dust in one of my bags in the corner of the office. 

So in summary, just in case everybody hasn't been keeping track, over the past month I've put together.  More to come on all these.

MAVRIK Sub Zero Driver Adillia 60G shaft-Just arrived Friday.

MAVRIK 6-P irons,  with Modus 105 shaft

MD5 54 and 58 wedges

I have not bought, but could easily play the a couple of the Stroke Lab putters.

Damn these look sweet!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I highly doubt I'll upgrade my Tours to these, but I will for sure but in the Mizuno center here in Georgia testing these as soon as they have them!

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg LINK.1 34"
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

really like the look of the set Gap wedge and the concept of the ES wedge. thinking a JPX tour Gap wedge would blend well with the MP20 MMC's. Also looks like the ES21 will replace my T20 sand wedge. ES looks like it is combined the best of the T20 with the Ping Glide 3.