TESTERS WANTED! ×

Anyone play right-handed but putt left handed?

Nevin

I am naturally left-handed.  The only thing I do right-handed is golf.  I think my dad read that Ben Hogan was left-handed so he decided to have me play from the right.  I have always been an exceptionally mediocre putter bordering on the truly awful.   This weekend I played with  a guy who was naturally right handed  but had switched to left handed for putting.  Definitely putted better than I did.  I dug out an old left handed putter (given to me by a pro who had switched to left-handed) and I do putt better with it, at least on carpet.  The target looks weird, but If I use an alignment line and stick with that I should be ok.  I've always had a strange stroke right handed where the putter goes immediately to the outside and loops back to the inside for the downstroke.  I notice that when putting left-handed, the putter goes straight back or a little to the inside.  

Has anyone else made this transition?  How did it go.  How long did it take to get comfortable.  Have you putted well in competition?

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree Fubuki stiff shaft. 

XXIO 3 wood 

XXIO 20 degree 4 hybrid

XXIO 23 degree 5 hybrid

PXG 0211 DC 6 thru GW MMT stiff shafts

PXG 0211 DC 54 degree sand wedge MMT shaft

Taylormade Hi-toe MG 60. 

Putter:  Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour lined.

A couple decent threads exist on this topic throughout the years in the forum. Here's one:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/19556-putting-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-ball/

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

My brother-in-law was a natural lefty but played sports righty. His baseball and basketball skills were all RH based...until he took up golf. He was such a head case that he had two sets of clubs at his CC...one RH, one LH. It got so bad at times that he would play the front 9 RH, get frustrated, and then go play the back 9 LH. It was the most messed up thing I've ever seen. He would get so excited when he would score really well and think he was all done with the switching around...and then fire a really bad round and he would go back to tinkering. Eight years later, he has settled on playing LH but putting RH. But hey, if it works for you, go for it. 

I'm a lefty and sometimes life forces me to putt RH, like when I'm at a golf shop and they have the latest putters but only in RH. I guess I'll test this new putter from the other side!! 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I've played with a few people that putted from the other side from their normal play.  I guess it was because they were naturally left handed, but learned to play right handed due to non-availability of clubs for left handers at the time they started playing.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

We had a pro at the first course I played when learning the game.  He was right-handed but putted left-handed.  Did pretty well, won the Washington State amateur just out of high school.

I'm right-handed and was a terrible putter when I started playing.  I actually could putt better left-handed from 5 feet and in, but lacked coordination for longer putts.  If I were younger, I would think about switching to playing left-handed.  The SuperSpeed testing showed me that I have a smoother and faster swing left-handed, but this old dog isn't learning any new tricks anytime soon.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

I’m a life-long everything righty who plays-right handed. I putt left-handed with a right-handed grip. Happened by accident when I lost my putter. Long story short, my playing partner was a leftie and my only option was edge of an iron or use his. Felt like I had better control, especially on distance. Spent time trying both sides after and found I was clearly better leftie with the right grip, have never looked back. Not sure I even could putt right handed anymore?!?!

On 7/27/2020 at 8:44 PM, Kenny B said:

We had a pro at the first course I played when learning the game.  He was right-handed but putted left-handed.  Did pretty well, won the Washington State amateur just out of high school.

I'm right-handed and was a terrible putter when I started playing.  I actually could putt better left-handed from 5 feet and in, but lacked coordination for longer putts.  If I were younger, I would think about switching to playing left-handed.  The SuperSpeed testing showed me that I have a smoother and faster swing left-handed, but this old dog isn't learning any new tricks anytime soon.

I have the same thing with 5 feet and in. Can hit it left handed with the back of the blade with my right handed putter and it goes in every time.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I have the same thing with 5 feet and in. Can hit it left handed with the back of the blade with my right handed putter and it goes in every time.

For me I think a lot of it had to do with being right eye dominant.  I suppose with a lot of practice, I could get to a point where I could control longer putts left-handed.  However, about 6 years or so ago I started putting looking at the hole, so I took my eyes out of the putting stroke.  Now I putt much better... as long as I read the greens and line up the ball and putter head correctly.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

For me I think a lot of it had to do with being right eye dominant.  I suppose with a lot of practice, I could get to a point where I could control longer putts left-handed.  However, about 6 years or so ago I started putting looking at the hole, so I took my eyes out of the putting stroke.  Now I putt much better... as long as I read the greens and line up the ball and putter head correctly.  

I actually had a similar thought. At first, i thought it was just me caring less about the putt when hitting them left handed. But I have executed it too many times for it to be just that. 

I find that I am very right eye dominant as well. I feel like the majority of my short putt misses right handed are not due to mis-stroke, more with putting the ball where my eye thinks the line is.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

I'm a lefty but at one point tried to putt right handed.  It worked for a very short period of time, but it just felt unnatural to me so I went back to doing everything left handed.  Yep, still stink at putting though😄😅🤣

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I play right and putted left handed for about 2 years.  I really wanted to putt using a line on the ball.   Looking over the ball putting right hand the line pointed left of the target.  No matter where I moved the ball position or my head it never helped.  When looking at the line putting left handed the line looked like it was pointing looking at the hole.  It did not take long to get the feel for short putts but distance control took some time to get a feel for.  My grip putting either side is exactly the same, right hand lower with a reverse overlap grip.  This year I am back to putting right handed without using the line on the ball because my left hand stroke always felt a bit mechanical.  Arccos has shown that my putting right and left hand are about the same.  According to Arccos it is the strongest part of my game and they rate it about scratch.  In the past I always thought I was not a good putter so it is good to have the validation from the app.  After the validation I did start to putt better... 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve continued my streak of making all my short putts left handed with the back of the blade of my putter. Its too many makes now for it to just be that im relaxed and not caring about the putt.

not going to start putting left handed now but i think its an eye dominance thing so i meed to work on a position where i can thee line correctly right handedo

Updated 07/15/2022

20 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I’ve continued my streak of making all my short putts left handed with the back of the blade of my putter. Its too many makes now for it to just be that im relaxed and not caring about the putt.

not going to start putting left handed now but i think its an eye dominance thing so i meed to work on a position where i can thee line correctly right handedo

I had the same problem when I was putting poorly.  There is no one correct way to putt, but there is probably one way that fits a person better than other ways.  Everyone needs to find the way where they see the line and the ball going in the hole.

Before I started looking at the hole when making the stroke, I found that the Jack Nicklaus open stance at address helped me see the line better when over the ball, and I putted better using that stance.  When I started looking at the hole instead of the ball when making the stroke, I had to go back to setting up square to my intended line.  I did that because I could judge speed better.  Find what works best for you.

35 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I had the same problem when I was putting poorly.  There is no one correct way to putt, but there is probably one way that fits a person better than other ways.  Everyone needs to find the way where they see the line and the ball going in the hole.

Before I started looking at the hole when making the stroke, I found that the Jack Nicklaus open stance at address helped me see the line better when over the ball, and I putted better using that stance.  When I started looking at the hole instead of the ball when making the stroke, I had to go back to setting up square to my intended line.  I did that because I could judge speed better.  Find what works best for you.

I was experimenting at home with lining up a putt and then using a ruler to verify if what i am seeing matches with the actual straight line. If I stand with my normal putting stance, the ball and putter look like they are aimed too far right when they are in fact lined up properly. If i stand a bit farther away from the ball, the line i see is correct. Don't know how standing farther away will transfer over to actual putting yet.

Updated 07/15/2022

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I was experimenting at home with lining up a putt and then using a ruler to verify if what i am seeing matches with the actual straight line. If I stand with my normal putting stance, the ball and putter look like they are aimed too far right when they are in fact lined up properly. If i stand a bit farther away from the ball, the line i see is correct. Don't know how standing farther away will transfer over to actual putting yet.

I should have posted the Malaska video here instead of the the other putter thread... oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

When I started playing golf in high school, my grandfather insisted that I play right handed, in spite of doing everything sports and life related, left handed. I dug in and convinced him that I should putt left handed. I am very left eye dominant. Fast forward 25 years and my short putting was so bad that after a marathon golf trip, I switched. It took about six months to get comfortable and for about two and a half years, it was adequate, not great. I averaged about 33-34 putts a round. It kept me around a 6. This spring, after a particularly terrible round including six, 3 putts, I went back to putting left handed. While I have had a few days where the ball just won’t go in the hole, my putt average has dropped to 30 putts and two weeks ago I had a round that was 13 putts on the back nine, including 4 birdies. Needless to say, I’m not looking to go back right handed any time soon. 3 putts are almost non existent now and even though I don’t make everything, overall it’s a positive switch. I would encourage a putting lesson to get ball position and set up correct for yourself, to be sure it makes sense.

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the opposite boat. Right handed, golf left, got tired of the lack of left handed options, and noticed that my distance control seemed better right handed. I got an old off brand 8802 right handed putter recently that has found it's way into my bag, and as much as I love my o-works #7s I think I'm going to relegate it to the back of the closet and commit to the right handed experiment. 

Dr: Callaway XR '15 9.5* S - Project X (LH)

3WD: Taylormade M3 XS Aldila (LH)

3H: Cobra F6 19.5* S (LH)

4-AW: Taylormade PSi KBS Tour S120 (LH)

SW: Nike CCI cast (LH)

LW: Cobra Pur 60* widelow (LH)

P: Scotty Cameron Sonoma 33" (2012) (RH)

• 3 weeks later...

After 3 competitive rounds where I putted really terrible and fought the yips every time, I decided to commit to putting left handed.  I've now played 3 rounds where I putted left handed.  There is no question that it is better for me.  I shot 73 this afternoon in which I two putted a number of long putts and made a nice number of par putts.  It is interesting that there is no yipping at so far.  My dominant eye is my left eye and it seems like I don't peek as much while I hit the ball.  The most important thing is that I seem to hit the sweet spot of the putter way more often which makes distance control much easier.  I use a line on the ball to aim as it still is more difficult to pick a line from the left side.  So far, so good.  

XXIO 3 wood 

XXIO 20 degree 4 hybrid

XXIO 23 degree 5 hybrid

Taylormade Hi-toe MG 60. 

• 1 year later...

I hit the ball right-handed and putt left-handed.  I developed a bad problem with yips putting.  I tried all sorts of different grips and styles putting, but nothing worked.  I was ready to give up and was playing with buddy who is left handed.  I got pissed on the first green and told him to give me his putter, and I made the next putt.  I thought maybe it would be a WOOD (Works Only One Day) thing.   However, it stuck and have been putting left-handed now for 6 years ok.  Naturally left-handed so I think that helped too.  Little awkward when back on fringe and going from side to side deciding to chip right or putt left.

I gave up on it last summer.  I definitely had less problems with the yips putting left handed, but aim was a bigger problem.  My dominant eye is my left eye and the hole always looked to be in the wrong place.  I went back to right handed with armlock left hand low and that seems to be somewhat better.

XXIO 3 wood 

XXIO 20 degree 4 hybrid

XXIO 23 degree 5 hybrid

Taylormade Hi-toe MG 60. 

Played with a guy that swung right handed and putted left. When asked about it he said he always played hockey left handed. Probably a similar situation where he was given RH clubs to learn on when young. 

I play right handed and putt with a traditional grip. I've tried left hand low and it feels weird. But putting LH and then using a right hand low opposite grip feels great for short putts. Never tried it on course. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I did once upon a time in la la land.  Just developed a lot of inconsistencies.  Play and putt righthanded, now. 

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I played golf right handed and used to put right handed playing on a 2 handicap, I stopped smoking and got the yips overnight and could not sink a putt of 6 inches. In 6 months my handicap increased by 6 shots, I started smoking again and the yips went away overnight and I ended up back on a 2 handicap after 3 months. 

Finally I stopped smoking about 5 years later and the same thing happened (massive yip overnight). After 3 years of no smoking and trying everything to counter the yips, I had almost given up playing because I was averaging eight 3 putts a round.

One day I picked up my wife's putter (she plays left handed) and had a few putts, lo and behold no yip. I putt with a right handed grip but putt left handed, which is effectively a conventional right hand low left handed putting stroke.

I have done this for 5 years now without any hint of a yip and returned to playing on a 2 - 3 handicap. I have always used a line on the ball for alignment, so when I started left handed putting distance control is really the only thing I had to learn.

I cannot recommend this more as a potential solution to the yips for those of you who suffer from them.

I regularly play with a right-handed golfer who putts left handed with an old bullseye putter from 15 feet and closer and then uses the other side to putt right handed for longer putts.

Edited by Johnnosgolf
spelling mistake

• 4 months later...

I started golfing over 55 years ago left handed. It was very difficult then to find LH clubs. Today I play right but putt left? I feel more comfortable over the putt and make a greater percentage of putts less than 6 ft.

Golfing groupie

I'm righty and putt righty, but switched one season to lefty. I putted a little better inside 10', but had little feel on longer putts and tended to be way past the hole. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I grew up putting both ways (my dad thought it would help make my motion more consistently straight), and still will putt left handed with the back of my Odyssey if a round is going poorly and I just want to smile and reset my mind. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

On 7/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, Nevin said:

I am naturally left-handed.  The only thing I do right-handed is golf.  I think my dad read that Ben Hogan was left-handed so he decided to have me play from the right.  I have always been an exceptionally mediocre putter bordering on the truly awful.   This weekend I played with  a guy who was naturally right handed  but had switched to left handed for putting.  Definitely putted better than I did.  I dug out an old left handed putter (given to me by a pro who had switched to left-handed) and I do putt better with it, at least on carpet.  The target looks weird, but If I use an alignment line and stick with that I should be ok.  I've always had a strange stroke right handed where the putter goes immediately to the outside and loops back to the inside for the downstroke.  I notice that when putting left-handed, the putter goes straight back or a little to the inside.  

Has anyone else made this transition?  How did it go.  How long did it take to get comfortable.  Have you putted well in competition?

My dad forced me to play golf right handed when I was a kid because of club availability. At one point in the junior days I did switch to lefty for a year as until recently I was always a terrible putter. At that time I putted just as bad lefty as right. Every other sport I played was left though baseball, hockey and lacrosse. 

Driver- cobra F9, 3w- Adam’s TL, 19 H TM GAPR mid, 22 H titleist 910, 5-PW TM rocketbladz tour, 50, 56, 60 Cleveland RTX 3, Scotty special select Del Mar. 

I play right and putt left. I play/do everything righty except ice hockey. After a horrible stretch about 12 years ago my friend suggested putting left. Its been a godsend, I'd say I'm now an above average putter for my handicap (12ish.) My hands are calmer, no yips and I putt well long and short. For a while I used a Plop 2 faced putter in case a break favored a righty (you should see people's faces when they noticed I was putting from both sides!) but now I have an Oddessey Blade. I'm currently thinking of buying a Cameron DelMar.

For people who have yips, I'd say "try it!!"