Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most Wanted Hybrid Question

Looking to purchase a new hybrid. Saw the Titleist 818 H1 was Most Wanted in 2019, but in 2018 it was ranked 17th. Was the club 818 H1 updated or was the 2019 batch of hybrids not particularly great?

Edited by tjbergmann

Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 2016 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei Blue, Stiff

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M2 2017 3w 15* Fujikura Reax 65, Stiff

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 3 Hybrid 20* Aldila Tour Red, Stiff

Irons: :taylormade-small: RAC LT 2005 4-PW, Stiff (+1")

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM5 50.08, 54.14 and 60.04 (+1", 2* upright)

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3

Ball: :Snell: MTB Black (High # when I can get them)

Simulator: Foresight GC2

Looking to purchase a new hybrid. Saw the Titleist 818 H1 was Most Wanted in 2019, but in 2018 it was ranked 17th. Was the club 818 H1 updated or was the 2019 batch of hybrids not particularly great?

Different pool of testers. I am one of the testers but who does what test can be different. What works for one group may not work for another.

I personally am a huge fan of titleist hybrids and have had them in my bag for years. The question you need to answer is whether the 818 H1 is the right hybrid for you.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/28/2020 at 7:41 AM, cnosil said:

Different pool of testers. I am one of the testers but who does what test can be different. What works for one group may not work for another.

I personally am a huge fan of titleist hybrids and have had them in my bag for years. The question you need to answer is whether the 818 H1 is the right hybrid for you.

I get that different groups can produce different results, however, my understanding of the Most Wanted is that those particular clubs offer the best results for the largest number or people. It may not be the best for every tester but on average, the testers showed good results overall with the Most Wanted clubs. For example, the Tommy Armour Impact 3 won two years in a row, again as I understand it because it showed the most consistent results among the test groups. Therefore, it would seem that a particular club like the 818 H1 would be similar in results. Rising 16 spots just seems like a large jump. That's why I was curious if maybe the 2019 hybrid class perhaps wasn't particularly strong.

Also, totally understand that the 818 H1 may not be right for me. I enjoy reviewing the data from the Most Wanted results to look for clubs that might fit my needs and just happened to notice this "discrepancy".

Thanks for being one the testers and providing your feedback!

Edited by tjbergmann

44 minutes ago, tjbergmann said:

I get that different groups can produce different results, however, my understanding of the Most Wanted is that those particular clubs offer the best results for the largest number or people. It may not be the best for every tester but on average, the testers showed good results overall with the Most Wanted clubs. For example, the Tommy Armour Impact 3 won two years in a row, again as I understand it because it showed the most consistent results among the test groups. Therefore, it would seem that a particular club like the 818 H1 would be similar in results. Rising 16 spots just seems like a large jump. That's why I was curious if maybe the 2019 hybrid class perhaps wasn't particularly strong.

Also, totally understand that the 818 H1 may not be right for me. I enjoy reviewing the data from the Most Wanted results to look for clubs that might fit my needs and just happened to notice this "discrepancy".

Thanks for being one the testers and providing your feedback!

Our protocols change from year to year and I am pretty sure they change how they calculate the results.  The most wanted winner could have been the "best" clubs for 30% of the test pool so it doesn't mean that it matches every golfer.   Hard to say,  but generally it isn't possible to compare year to year due to changes.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/28/2020 at 8:41 AM, cnosil said:

In addition to that, I know MGS and Tony in the past have expressed their appreciation of Titleist hybrids. Not a distance hybrid, they have more spin and are more of a scoring club. You might be able to search the website's archives to find the write-up when they came up for some more info.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

On 7/28/2020 at 7:41 AM, cnosil said:

100% agree with your comments. Have a few thoughts/comments below. 

I really wish one day that someone will take all the clubs to be tested and put them on a robot/iron byron and perform heel strikes, center strikes and toe strikes at the slow, medium and fast swing speeds. HIDE THOSE RESULTS.

Get the test pool of golfers just like normal, perform their test and at the end compare their results to the robot test results. Maybe compare only center strikes to golfer pool best strikes just to see if there is a correlation? Maybe no correlation?  I would like to learn more why this is not considered. Probably not cost effective but what other factors would take robot/iron byron testing out of consideration?  I know I live in a dream world at times. 😃

I hope everyone could if they are able can go test/demo and get fitted for clubs of interest. Many golfers can not or will not do that so it's good IMO that MGS exist to provide guidance through its testing and sharing of product knowledge. 

1 minute ago, aerospace_ray said:

Get the test pool of golfers just like normal, perform their test and at the end compare their results to the robot test results. Maybe compare only center strikes to golfer pool best strikes just to see if there is a correlation? Maybe no correlation?  I would like to learn more why this is not considered. Probably not cost effective but what other factors would take robot/iron byron testing out of consideration?  I know I live in a dream world at times. 😃

With a robot the club is inserted correctly and setup to hit the ball on a specific location; lets say "perfectly" controlled.     When you get an actual tester,  the human factor is brought into play especially the impact of visual appearance and how the club actually feels.  i can definitively tell you that all the clubs feel and react differently when being swung.  I see this very readily with the putter tests.   With the irons,  I hit some clubs dead center and straight and others are just hook machines.  One of the best examples was a wedge a few years ago that we actually hit a non testing wedge after it to get our swing back in order.   The setup was so different it took a could of swings to be able to hit a normal wedge so whatever wedge followed performed terribly for a couple of shots.  This is what MGS is trying to find,  how do the clubs perform when a person uses the club.  

On 7/31/2020 at 9:32 PM, aerospace_ray said:

100% agree with your comments. Have a few thoughts/comments below. 

I really wish one day that someone will take all the clubs to be tested and put them on a robot/iron byron and perform heel strikes, center strikes and toe strikes at the slow, medium and fast swing speeds. HIDE THOSE RESULTS.

I hope everyone could if they are able can go test/demo and get fitted for clubs of interest. Many golfers can not or will not do that so it's good IMO that MGS exist to provide guidance through its testing and sharing of product knowledge. 

This would be great! They could just set it to toe strike for me 😆

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to recommend looking into Adams hybrids, but then I noticed that is what you are currently gaming lol Why are you looking at switching?

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

• 3 months later...

Any idea on the most wanted hybrid 2020? Not complete due to covid?

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

1 hour ago, patrickleeleep said:

Any idea on the most wanted hybrid 2020? Not complete due to covid?

Was not done due to covid.   2021 testing should be starting soon with drivers up first. 

Was not done due to covid.   2021 testing should be starting soon with drivers up first. 

Was afraid of that! I was going to go out tomorrow to test some out and was hoping to narrow down the choices using the list but I guess I’ll just try more haha

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

4 hours ago, patrickleeleep said:

Was afraid of that! I was going to go out tomorrow to test some out and was hoping to narrow down the choices using the list but I guess I’ll just try more haha

SIM seemed popular with TM tour players, which may mean it wasn’t super left biased. For whatever that is worth. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

6 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

SIM seemed popular with TM tour players, which may mean it wasn’t super left biased. For whatever that is worth. 

Biggest interest are the g410 and sim max. They seem to produce good speeds and launch very easy which is what I'm looking for. 

Biggest interest are the g410 and sim max. They seem to produce good speeds and launch very easy which is what I'm looking for. 

I've got the 410's in 22* and *26 with Tensi shafts (no charge option) and love them. Nice fit between my F9 King 5 wood and SZ irons

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

13 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I've got the 410's in 22* and *26 with Tensi shafts (no charge option) and love them. Nice fit between my F9 King 5 wood and SZ irons

The adjustability on the 410 is what interests me the most. I was looking at the 28* sim max so for the 410 it'll be the 26* lofted up to 27.5* or the 30* lofted down to 28.5*. Trying to make this game as easy possible. 

The adjustability on the 410 is what interests me the most. I was looking at the 28* sim max so for the 410 it'll be the 26* lofted up to 27.5* or the 30* lofted down to 28.5*. Trying to make this game as easy possible. 

Don't forget to check out/try the different shaft options. I've used the Alta stock shaft but prefer the Tensi

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Don't forget to check out/try the different shaft options. I've used the Alta stock shaft but prefer the Tensi

Well, golf galaxy is now discontinuing the fittings of the g410s. They didn’t even have the fitting carts/ racks with them. They did have their demo clubs for sale for $159.99 which is very tempting but I had better launch, spin, height, and distance with the sim max which is $249.99. Of course that’s how it goes.

9 hours ago, patrickleeleep said:

Well, golf galaxy is now discontinuing the fittings of the g410s. They didn’t even have the fitting carts/ racks with them. 

That's crazy since the 425's hybrids aren't out yet. Glad to hear you found something that works. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

That's crazy since the 425's hybrids aren't out yet. Glad to hear you found something that works. 

The guy working said they are expected in store in February but yeah I agree. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone else intrigued by the new sim2 rescue? Long time Apex and Adams user and feel like TM finally made an Adams-ish boxy hybrid after purchasing them. Need to see this in person, but its one the short list. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!