Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Lessons - 1on1 or as a group

Hi all - wondering what folks opinions or experiences are with this...as with everything* it depends on the instructor, so with that being said:

- have you had both a group lesson and 1 on 1 lesson?
--- if so did you find a drastic difference between them? was there a distinct advantage to 1/1 vs group?

- would you rather have 2  1 on 1 30 min lessons or five 1-hour group lessons?

Any other comments/experiences you'd like to share?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• StrokerAce changed the title to Lessons - 1on1 or as a group

For me, I wouldn't entertain group lessons.I need the attention on my ego focus.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have had both 1 on 1 and group lessons.    I think they are each beneficial but for different reasons.  If I am trying to fix something about my swing I prefer 1 on 1.  If I am am trying to build a skill like short game, putting, green reading, short game group lessons can work well.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I have done both and feel they both have a place.  The group lesson I did was a preseason drill/lesson.  Was helpful to get the season off to a good start.  I have done one on one lessons to get my swing fixed.  This year have done golftec, not cheap and a commitment in order to make a change.  But am starting to see improvement .  I like the video component it has really helped me make some changes.  Even with the one on one would take a group practice session next year to get kick started.

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

Thanks - my bd gift was golf lessons so I'm trying to figure out what would be best. I've never had one before and I don't mind spending the money to get the proper instruction.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Personally, I think group lessons only work at the beginning where the pro is teaching everybody how to grip and the fundamentals...

Once your game starts evolving, you need your pro to watch your swing, analyze it, etc...

I take 2 on 1 lessons with my wife. We have similar games, require similar tweaks and he can check out the other person while you practice what he just taught you before he jumps back and forth. I think 2 on 1 is the perfect balance.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

On 8/13/2020 at 7:48 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Thanks - my bd gift was golf lessons so I'm trying to figure out what would be best. I've never had one before and I don't mind spending the money to get the proper instruction.

I would have a conversation with who you are thinking of taking lessons from before signing up for a plan.  I like to be sure we can communicate and they want to work with some one of my level.  I have heard of people going to. a high paid instructor to find out they liked to teach high school or college golfers.  Being a bogey golfer that is not me.  I also think the amount of change you want and get depends on how much time you can commit to make changes. I had some one who knew I had time to practice once. a week. He would give me one or two things to work on and they were minor changes but affective,   I have more time now and making bigger changes and can put in the time to make the changes.  Good luck enjoy 

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

I'm not a big fan of group lessons except for the golfer just starting out. Basic rules, grip and swing are ok in groups. I prefer one on one . Individualized lessons where the instructor can focus on your issues is best. I had a two on one instruction once and the other person was so bad that I got little instruction and felt it was a waste of time.  Then at the end of the lesson he asked me to stay and apologized. Then he gave me another 15  minutes of one on one. Now this was many years ago when I first started playing.

Now with all the technology available you can almost teach yourself.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 7/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Hi all - wondering what folks opinions or experiences are with this...as with everything* it depends on the instructor, so with that being said:

- have you had both a group lesson and 1 on 1 lesson?
--- if so did you find a drastic difference between them? was there a distinct advantage to 1/1 vs group?

- would you rather have 2  1 on 1 30 min lessons or five 1-hour group lessons?

Any other comments/experiences you'd like to share?

For golf lesson I prefer individual one on one lesson format. The only group lesson I actually enjoyed and might even prefer is green reading workshops. I attended several Aimpoint Express group sessions and really enjoyed the interaction and questions from the groups. 

I’ve had both.  I got more out of a half hour individual lesson than I did in 6 two hour group lessons. The only type of group lesson I would do now would be some type of specialty clinic/workshop format like aimpoint or something like that.

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag

Group lessons: aimpoint workshop, short game clinic, etc. 

1 on 1 - swing work, playing lessons, TPI or other physical assessments and coaching

Depending on rates at your local course having a pairs lesson can be a good value. The instructor can you give you something to work on, watch a couple swings and then move over to the second person. This is an even better value if you can get on a launch monitor and collect swing data while the other person is receiving instruction. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I think it depends on how we define "group". If we are talking about the casual group lesson with the local pro that is cheaper because there are multiple students, then I definitely prefer individual.

However, if we are talking about something like Monte's clinics or the Tour Striker academy, etc., then I think that would be a really great learning experience.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Group lessons: aimpoint workshop, short game clinic, etc. 

1 on 1 - swing work, playing lessons, TPI or other physical assessments and coaching

Depending on rates at your local course having a pairs lesson can be a good value. The instructor can you give you something to work on, watch a couple swings and then move over to the second person. This is an even better value if you can get on a launch monitor and collect swing data while the other person is receiving instruction. 

Pairs lessons would be interesting.  My wife and I had back to back individual lessons in June.  I could see that working out well. 

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag

The "course management" lesson.....best in groups ( the course and ideas are the same)....swing stuff...One on one.  A lot of lessons I've taken fix some fundamentals, but, More Importantly, clear up some misconceptions I have that may not be addressed without a 1 on 1 lesson.

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

I'm pretty much in-line with the other posters on 1:1 vs. group.  

Pairs lessons are a great idea.  When my older daughter was more serious about golf, I had the two girls taking pairs lessons with their teacher.  I definitely liked the dynamic of getting something to work on, then hitting a few balls while the other one was taking instruction.  Now that the older one only plays for fun, the teacher has me hit some balls to see if I'm slipping back to taking the club too far inside.

I know I sound like a broken record, but be sure to talk with your teacher about what you expect from your lessons.  Do you want someone who will tear your swing apart and rebuild it?  Or are you just looking to tweak?  Are you willing to put in a ton of time at the range?  Or do you just want to go out and play?  If you're not in sync with one another, it won't go well.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino