TESTERS WANTED! ×

Any Tips For Staying Sharp With An Injury?

Unfortunately, my golf game has been put on hold by an injury. It started a month ago and became much worse with golf. It is in the area of my appendix; however, it is not appendicitis. I have seen four doctors and had an X-ray, ultrasound, bloodwork, CT Scan, and MRI with no results. I am rapidly approaching exploratory surgery. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for staying sharp while dealing with injury? I am able to move for small periods of time before extra pain hits. Right now, I am just putting, but was wondering if there is something any of you have done in the past that kept you sharp?

:ping-small: G430 LST 10.5* (Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X)

:ping-small: G430 MAX 14* (Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X)

:ping-small: iCrossover 17* (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 80X)

:ping-small: i230 4-PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold X100)

:titelist-small: SM8 50* F Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 54* F Grind; 10* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 58* M Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:ping-small: PLD Anser 2

:taylormade-small: TP5X

"Practice like you've never won. Play like you've never lost."

This sucks! Don't push your body too far, you don't want long term damage. 

If you are able to putt and chip I would focus on that to at least keep that part of the game sharp. The other thing that is not affected with the injury is your brain. Maybe dive in to different strategies or something similar to sharpen your head. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

What I did was to just envision playing the course you normally play. Think of your swing on each shot. In your mind go through the setup and then estimate your yardage pull the right club and hit the shot. Go through each hole and play in your mind every day. This may help you need to go out and hit balls. It also may help when it is time to get back to playing. I hope all goes well with you and your physical problems. If you practice putting try to practice chipping as well. This will help your scoring as well later.

Edited by Letthebigdogshunt

Golfer/surgical nurse with recent C5-6 spinal fusion (4 months ago). PATIENCE is the underlying principal. As I rehab, I gradually started with putting and light chipping. Ask you doctor/physical therapist before going off and causing permanent damage. I worked through 4 months and back to driving 250-300 yds but was grateful I had to slow down as it forced me to work my PW-50, 54, 60 degree and putter. This, as recommended by my surgeon ( a golfer) made my game sharper/better. DO NOT get in a rush, you have years of fun ahead if you will be clam, follow MD directions. Ask the MD about consult with Physical Therapist or other expert. Good luck!

I think rest is an important part of training.  More so when you are injured.  Don't risk missing more rounds because you "rushed" to get back out there.  

Like @Letthebigdogshunt said, imagery is powerful training.  Body can't do what your brain doesn't comprehend.  You could imagine different and isolated parts of your body during your swing, or playing a hole in your head, etc.  Might help with the mental part and course management part of your game too.

Good luck.  Hope you figure out whats bugging ya and you get better

Thank you everyone!! Right now, they don't even think it is orthopedic related. They think it might be an appendix tumor. I'm going to try physical therapy, but if that does not do anything. I probably will end up with an exploratory laparoscopy. 

:ping-small: G430 LST 10.5* (Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X)

:ping-small: G430 MAX 14* (Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X)

:ping-small: iCrossover 17* (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 80X)

:ping-small: i230 4-PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold X100)

:titelist-small: SM8 50* F Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 54* F Grind; 10* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 58* M Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:ping-small: PLD Anser 2

:taylormade-small: TP5X

"Practice like you've never won. Play like you've never lost."

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned by others it is best not to overdo anything. I personally had to have my spleen removed and they cut into my stomach muscles. I was allowed to chip and putt after four weeks but after the second week I was back in to have half of my right kidney removed. They cut into my stomach muscles again but in a different spot. I then got told again that I could chip and putt after four weeks. That was the smart thing to do, but bending over and getting back up was a pain (literally). Then I moved to the driving range for 1/2 swing iron shots. I started playing nine holes after two months and 18 after the third. It did take almost six months to feel confident enough that I wouldn't hurt myself. But I remained smart and followed the rules sometimes set by my own body. You will know when enough is enough. 

I will say that my chipping and putting was always pretty decent. But after that period of time when all I could do was concentrate on that portion of the game I really improved. I am at the point where if I don't hit a green in regulation I know I will get up and down. It gave me that much more confidence.

Remember this is just a very short period of time in your life that you would have to take it easy. You are much younger than I am so your recovery time could be much quicker. If I remember correctly anything to do with or around you appendix can usually be done through your belly button. Recovery time would be quicker and you will still be able to sport a six pack abb. 😃 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 10:43 AM, Ultimate Junior Golfer said:

Unfortunately, my golf game has been put on hold by an injury. It started a month ago and became much worse with golf. It is in the area of my appendix; however, it is not appendicitis. I have seen four doctors and had an X-ray, ultrasound, bloodwork, CT Scan, and MRI with no results. I am rapidly approaching exploratory surgery. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for staying sharp while dealing with injury? I am able to move for small periods of time before extra pain hits. Right now, I am just putting, but was wondering if there is something any of you have done in the past that kept you sharp?

Take the time and rest. 

During the Covid I gained distance by not playing our practicing. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 7/30/2020 at 10:12 AM, Letthebigdogshunt said:

What I did was to just envision playing the course you normally play. Think of your swing on each shot. In your mind go through the setup and then estimate your yardage pull the right club and hit the shot. Go through each hole and play in your mind every day. This may help you need to go out and hit balls. It also may help when it is time to get back to playing. I hope all goes well with you and your physical problems. If you practice putting try to practice chipping as well. This will help your scoring as well later.

Great advice here.  

As they say, golf is 90% mental, so work the mind.  Visualize.  Visualize.  Visualize.  You might also combine it with some very low stress, super slow motion work.