TESTERS WANTED! ×

WGC FedEx St. Jude

FrogginBullfish

Brooks Koepka is the defending champion for the next two events but with a lingering knee issue, can he contend this week?

Couple changes for some big names.

Justin Thomas will have Jim "Bones" McKay on the bag for the next two events as his regular caddie, Jimmy Johnson, is recovering from some dizzy spells.

Tony Finau will have Mark Urbanek on the bag this week after cutting ties with his long-time caddie Greg Bodine before the 3M Championship last week. He was rumoured to have his brother, Gipper, on the bag this week but has instead turned to Urbanek who's caddied for James Hahn and Charlie Wi in the past. Finau will take his time naming a new full-time caddie so it's not a permanent gig for Urbanek at this point in time.

I've always enjoyed the WGC events. Disappointing that Tiger won't be playing this week but he'll be back next week for the PGA Championship at Harding Park.

Any predictions for the week?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Matthew Fitzpatrick played very well at the Memorial with Bones on the bag.  I think JT will also do well with Bones, but I hate to put a hex on him by making him my pick.  

I think I'll pick Patrick Reed.

About Bones...  I'm thinking that since his knees are healthy again, he might want to dump broadcasting and get back to what he loves.  Anyone need a good caddie??  Oh, that's right!  Tony Finau.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Bones has some fantastic insights but I've always felt he talks way too fast, or tries to use too many words. NBC would lose a solid on course reporter though if he did go back to looping full time but I think you might be on to something with him being a good fit with Finau. I'd like to see Finau try to get him on the bag for a week when JJ is back on JT's bag.

Matthew Fitzpatrick played very well at the Memorial with Bones on the bag.  I think JT will also do well with Bones, but I hate to put a hex on him by making him my pick.  
About Bones...  I'm thinking that since his knees are healthy again, he might want to dump broadcasting and get back to what he loves.  Anyone need a good caddie??  Oh, that's right!  Tony Finau.  

I like Rickie of course, always do.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Rambo not quite acting like acting like acting like a #1 professional.

Brooks lookin good

Rick

Left Hand, 

Leave it to Brooks to shoot a 62 right after a bunch of people questioned where his game is at.

I didn’t realize fire ants could be such a hazard to request a drop. I guess Bryson could be deathly allergic to them...the tour official that had to have that conversation with him was not very happy. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Fire ants fall under Rule 16.2 for Dangerous Animals. Clearly Bryson was trying to use it to get relief from the broken branches that his ball was caught up in, but it is a rule and a different rules official might have granted him relief.

Given some of the other situations in which people have gotten free relief, or tried to a la Kuchar and his embedded ball in the fairway on second bounce attempt, I don't blame Bryson for trying to use the rules to his advantage to get out of playing a ball that was tangled up in some broken branches.

I didn’t realize fire ants could be such a hazard to request a drop. I guess Bryson could be deathly allergic to them...the tour official that had to have that conversation with him was not very happy. 
Screenshot_20200731-093702.jpeg

Guy is trying to do it too often. I wonder if they track that as a stat? "Rules official conferences per tournament"

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Guy is trying to do it too often. I wonder if they track that as a stat? "Rules official conferences per tournament"

Why not, they track everything under the sun.

Rick

Left Hand, 

It's cool to see Brendon Todd leading the tournament.  He coached my grandson in Church League basketball last Fall.   I didn't know who he was until my step son ask me if I knew  Todd was a professional golfer.  He played for the Georgia Bulldogs golf team and has a residence in the Athens area. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

It's cool to see Brendon Todd leading the tournament.  He coached my grandson in Church League basketball last Fall.   I didn't know who he was until my step son ask me if I knew  Todd was a professional golfer.  He played for the Georgia Bulldogs golf team and has a residence in the Athens area. 

Agree, very nice guy who lives close by.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

10 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Agree, very nice guy who lives close by.

We need to stick a peg in the ground since we live in the same area 🏌️‍♂️

Cleveland

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

We need to stick a peg in the ground since we live in the same area 🏌️‍♂️

I agree! For me, it's going to be several weeks. Just had a medical procedure and no golf for 4 to 6 weeks.👎

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

3 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I agree! For me, it's going to be several weeks. Just had a medical procedure and no golf for 4 to 6 weeks.👎

Heal up Dawg and we'll get er done with cooler weather!

Cleveland

Ha! Just realized which shirt I was wearing today!!!

40106A21-FFEC-4A98-B39D-8D4DE8E22506.jpeg

E0CBF6FE-98AA-49C0-9609-50AE7A48393E.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

One tournament, one win. This JT-Bones combo off to a solid temporary start.

Why can’t Rickie hold-on? He gets close, then fades in his final rounds. Seems so odd that he can’t finish the job.

I’m REALLY happy JT won, especially since he missed-out vs Morikawa, then because Bones was on the bag, and finally I’m just not a Koepka fan at all. JT is a good dude!

I’m REALLY happy JT won, especially since he missed-out vs Morikawa, then because Bones was on the bag, and finally I’m just not a Koepka fan at all. JT is a good dude!

Good comeback for JT after his really bad loss. Maybe Bones w his experience helped keep JT on track.
Rickies fading on Sunday is a shame, something is going on.
I don’t have a problem w Koepka at all but I can see how he could irritate people.
Rahmbo didn’t last long at #1. Hrs the Guy who irritates me.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Not surprised but just did not see that coming.  JT joins some folks who breathe rarified air with this win.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 7/29/2020 at 6:53 PM, Kenny B said:

I wanted to pick JT because of Bones, but I'm glad I didn't hex him with my pick.  Nice win for JT.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I’m not a huge JT fan but it was a resilient win. It’s very exciting to have so many good players vying for the number 1 spot. The stretch run to this season could be epic.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

16 hours ago, PMookie said:

Why can’t Rickie hold-on? He gets close, then fades in his final rounds. Seems so odd that he can’t finish the job.

No kidding, at some point when is it no longer a coincidence? I think Faldo said when you're making a swing change the biggest test of your trust in the change is going to be when you're in contention on a Sunday. Must be that he's still got a bit to go until he's comfortable.

Boy, quite a weekend of takeaways for me though! Great to see Brooksie back in contention, but WOW that tee shot on 18 was a shocker. Felt like he was gonna pull away around 15-16, then 17 and 18 just kinda fell off. But he's got to be back in conversations about contending now that we've got some big tourneys coming up.

And boy oh boy, I used to think Bryson just got a bad rap a few months ago, but he's quickly becoming my least favorite guy on tour. Like hey, I'm pretty forgiving of getting frustrated on the course. I get frustrated and I have absolutely nothing on the line, let alone millions of dollars. But repeated conversations with rules officials talking to them like they're complete fools? And complaining about the course or lie or wind or bad bounce etc etc after every bad shot? I mean bad breaks happen, but sorry to tell ya bud, sometimes you just make bad swings.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

There is a lot of similarity between what Rickie is doing now and Phil prior to 2004.  Phil had this dark cloud following him around that he couldn't win big events, especially majors.  He was 33 years old (soon to be 34 in June) when he won the Masters in 2004.  The key difference is, Phil had won 22 times between 1991 and 2004 prior to his breakthrough at the Masters.  Rickie hasn't shown nearly as much propensity for closing out wins.  He has 9 wins in 11 seasons but one of those is Tiger's limited field event and another is on the Asian Tour.  

I personally believe Rickie has the game to win the biggest events.  I'm just not certain he has the killer instinct to get it done.  Time will surely tell.

There is a lot of similarity between what Rickie is doing now and Phil prior to 2004.  Phil had this dark cloud following him around that he couldn't win big events, especially majors.  He was 33 years old (soon to be 34 in June) when he won the Masters in 2004.  The key difference is, Phil had won 22 times between 1991 and 2004 prior to his breakthrough at the Masters.  Rickie hasn't shown nearly as much propensity for closing out wins.  He has 9 wins in 11 seasons but one of those is Tiger's limited field event and another is on the Asian Tour.  
I personally believe Rickie has the game to win the biggest events.  I'm just not certain he has the killer instinct to get it done.  Time will surely tell.

Good comparison I think. It’s also getting tougher to win and especially now. The fields are deep every week. They are about to get deeper, too.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think the better comparison for Rickie is Sergio Garcia: when Rickie finally wins one, and I believe he will win 1, just like Sergio, it’ll be late into his career. Around 20 wins and 1 major is what I figure for Rickie. To be fair though, he’s a better putter than Phil or Sergio. And I hope he wins more

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Good comparison I think. It’s also getting tougher to win and especially now. The fields are deep every week. They are about to get deeper, too.

You are absolutely correct.  Something I failed to mention.  The list of guys capable of winning any given week on Tour is much deeper now that it was in the 90's.  Heck, there are guys on KFT that can win on the PGA Tour right now.  Golf has never been deeper at the highest levels of the game.  That is the "Tiger effect" and it's not going to slow down anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Micah T said:

I think the better comparison for Rickie is Sergio Garcia: when Rickie finally wins one, and I believe he will win 1, just like Sergio, it’ll be late into his career. Around 20 wins and 1 major is what I figure for Rickie. To be fair though, he’s a better putter than Phil or Sergio. And I hope he wins more

In my opinion, Rickie and Sergio are very comparable from a statistical standpoint but not a mental standpoint.  The overwhelming difference is temperament.  Sergio can be a powder keg which often leads to his own demise.  Rickie has shown no such signs.  Although, it's very possible the mental aspect could be holding him back if he doesn't have that killer instinct.