Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tested - Project X LZ Steel 6.5 125grm

Tanky

Let me start off with a confession, my irons Wilson c300, KBS regular shafts, were bought as a demo set, not fitted.  😳

I have a 6 iron swing speed of 88/mph and tend to hook mis-hits.

I knew a stiffer shaft could be the way to increase accuracy and lower dispersion for me from listening to "no putts given", so I went for a fitting and tried the Dynamic Gold shaft amongst others, but I was blown away by the Project X LZ Steel 6.5. It decreased my dispersion drastically and stabilised my swing.

What I liked most though is the 125 grams of weight, which is mostly shifted closer to the club head. This feeling gave me so much more confidence when picking up the club!

The only downside is that in Australia, the shaft costs 30 AU$/shaft more than the dynamic gold, which is making me consider biting the bullet and getting new irons in the process, even though mine are only 2 years old.

Any thoughts or different experiences with this shaft?

image.png.0ecece76557036e74668dcc941e645ca.png

🤙

I tried the LZ in my i500 review for MGS and couldn't get along with it. I was playing the normal PX before that and for some reason the fitter thought it would be a good alternative, big mistake IMO.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

16 hours ago, Kanoito said:

I tried the LZ in my i500 review for MGS and couldn't get along with it. I was playing the normal PX before that and for some reason the fitter thought it would be a good alternative, big mistake IMO.

Yeah, apparently if you have a steady tempo and smooth transition the LZ won't feel too great. if you're on the opposite scale like me, it helps you steady your swing.

🤙

I have the lz 6.5 in my t100s/t200 combo set and I'm a big fan. Tried the AMT white, x100s and kbs as well, but the LZ felt the best

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

I was fitted for my G410 irons and the PX LZ 5.5 were in second place for best numbers - the AWT 2.0 just a bit better trajectory and less dispersion.  They seem to be a very popular shaft option.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 7/29/2020 at 7:34 PM, Tanky said:

Let me start off with a confession, my irons Wilson c300, KBS regular shafts, were bought as a demo set, not fitted.  😳

I have a 6 iron swing speed of 88/mph and tend to hook mis-hits.

I knew a stiffer shaft could be the way to increase accuracy and lower dispersion for me from listening to "no putts given", so I went for a fitting and tried the Dynamic Gold shaft amongst others, but I was blown away by the Project X LZ Steel 6.5. It decreased my dispersion drastically and stabilised my swing.

What I liked most though is the 125 grams of weight, which is mostly shifted closer to the club head. This feeling gave me so much more confidence when picking up the club!

The only downside is that in Australia, the shaft costs 30 AU$/shaft more than the dynamic gold, which is making me consider biting the bullet and getting new irons in the process, even though mine are only 2 years old.

Any thoughts or different experiences with this shaft?

image.png.0ecece76557036e74668dcc941e645ca.png

I have these in my current 790s and when I tested the G710's. Love this shaft. As I have paid more attention to feel of shafts and how they bend these are as good as it gets for me (Modus 125 is a close second). I can tell where the club head is with this while not feeling like I am bending/losing control. Little heavier which helps with my mental that if I am a little chunky I will clear and still get some good distance out of the ball. Highly recommend these shafts but they do look expensive over there which is tough.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I am currently gaming the LZ 6.5 in my Cobra Forged Tec irons for #CCC4. I was originally fit into the Nippon Modus 120x but that was unavailable. I think they are similar, with the modus feeling a touch softer in the handle and smoother overall.

If you can give them a try I would. But it sounds like the LZ are a perfect match for you.

I used to have C-Taper Lite in stiff and the regular C-Taper was offered as a substitute, but I did not try them in person.

Question for you... did you try the LZ in your current iron head? I only ask because I went up 15g in shaft weight and also love the feel for the head I have now, but the heads themselves are also 7-8 grams heavier which is a significant factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I've tried the LZ 6.0 shaft in a fitting session for the TM P790's and loved them. BUT its all dependent upon your swing.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

On 8/5/2020 at 11:40 PM, Lacassem said:

I have these in my current 790s and when I tested the G710's. Love this shaft. As I have paid more attention to feel of shafts and how they bend these are as good as it gets for me (Modus 125 is a close second). I can tell where the club head is with this while not feeling like I am bending/losing control. Little heavier which helps with my mental that if I am a little chunky I will clear and still get some good distance out of the ball. Highly recommend these shafts but they do look expensive over there which is tough.

I agree with the chunking bit, I couldn't believe how much easier it was to get good impact after hitting it fat!

🤙

On 8/5/2020 at 11:54 PM, B.Boston said:

I am currently gaming the LZ 6.5 in my Cobra Forged Tec irons for #CCC4. I was originally fit into the Nippon Modus 120x but that was unavailable. I think they are similar, with the modus feeling a touch softer in the handle and smoother overall.

If you can give them a try I would. But it sounds like the LZ are a perfect match for you.

I used to have C-Taper Lite in stiff and the regular C-Taper was offered as a substitute, but I did not try them in person.

Question for you... did you try the LZ in your current iron head? I only ask because I went up 15g in shaft weight and also love the feel for the head I have now, but the heads themselves are also 7-8 grams heavier which is a significant factor.

No, the LZ was fitted to AP2 Irons, don't know if they are heavier than my C300's 😕

🤙

I really liked the LZ performance today. I hit some towering shots with the forged Tec irons. 

are you only looking to retrofit them to the wilsons?  You clubs always order one and make sure you like that combo. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I use the Project X LZ 6.0 in my irons and wedges. I also used the Handcrafted version for woods in my fairway wood and loved it. Definitely one of my favorite shafts!

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter: L.A.B. DF3 34"/67°
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

5 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I really liked the LZ performance today. I hit some towering shots with the forged Tec irons. 

are you only looking to retrofit them to the wilsons?  You clubs always order one and make sure you like that combo. 

Yeah, I'm gonna test my C300 with the LZ & the Dynamic Gold 300s, just to see if the result is actually close to a 30$ difference per shaft. I want to play these clubs at least another 3 years (5 years in total), or if I manage to get to a steady single digit hcp.

🤙

Yeah, I'm gonna test my C300 with the LZ & the Dynamic Gold 300s, just to see if the result is actually close to a 30$ difference per shaft. I want to play these clubs at least another 3 years (5 years in total), or if I manage to get to a steady single digit hcp.

Good, that is the best thing to do. If you like them and they tighten your dispersion it would be worth it to me for 3 years of play.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a set of Srixon Z745s with the 7.0 LZ shaft, it's a great combo.  The LZ shaft has very stiff handle and tip section, but it's the midsection that's softer and where this shaft gets its pop.  Because the mid section is softer, there's a lot of whip and action in this shaft and it really does unload on the ball.  I get fantastic smash numbers with this combo.  For me, this shaft requires a smooth transition.  If I get aggressive from the top, it'll get loose and launch too high which makes controlling distance much more difficult.  The standard PX shaft requires a harder transition to load.  

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

• 2 weeks later...

I have the PX LZ 6.0's in my Mizuno 4 - PW and the PX LZ 6.5's in the Cleveland 49, 53 & 57.  The irons have been dead straight for me. & I like the feel of the heavier shaft in a wedge.  I thought about getting the 6.5's but wanted these clubs to age with me over the next 10 years or so.  I came from DG S300's in my previous set and like the feel of these better.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 2 months later...

I’ve purchased the Titleist T200 irons with the LZ 5.5 shaft . I’m getting a low trajectory and not getting any more distance even with the stronger lofts of the T200 . The LZ shaft seems quite stiff which is puzzling because  I’m comfortable with the S300 dynamic gold shaft and I assumed the LZ would be a little softer.    The long and short of it im getting a higher flight on my old clubs and the same distance  as the T200s even though they have considerably weaker lofts .