Our Sponsors

You might could reach out to Ping customer service and/or an authorized Ping retailer that also does club repair/fitting (ie. PGA SS, etc) for updated information. I understand Ping designs/tests it shafts and has other companies manufacture them. The two companies are Aldila and UST.

I thought the names were on the shafts? At least they were in the G30/G shafts had manufacturer on shaft. The G400 Alta shaft is made by Aldila. And I think Aldila and UST are owned by same company. 

Regarding your question,  I vaguely remember reading another forum or web article a year or so ago ? that the PING Tour 65 is an UST Elements Chrome -- but you need to verify that, I am going off memory and could be wrong.

IF so, here is link to UST Elements Chrome https://www.ustmamiya.com/golf-shafts/brands/elements/discontinued-models/elements-chrome-wood/ . 

• Like 1

Yes this shaft is the elements chrome+ design. UST recommends 1.5” tip. Many builders also recommends considering the adapter being used. 

as mentioned above talk to a ping rep or a trusted club builder

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, awcarlisle01 said:

I actually found an article saying the Kuro Kage model was used for Ping Tour shafts and according golfworks trim guide it said remove 3/4”. 

When is the article from and who wrote it? UST has been making the tour shaft for awhile and when the grip is removed that can be confirmed. This is pretty common knowledge on forums for quite some time. Aldila makes the Alta shaft.

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 7/31/2020 at 10:50 AM, aerospace_ray said:

You might could reach out to Ping customer service and/or an authorized Ping retailer that also does club repair/fitting (ie. PGA SS, etc) for updated information. I understand Ping designs/tests it shafts and has other companies manufacture them. The two companies are Aldila and UST.

I thought the names were on the shafts? At least they were in the G30/G shafts had manufacturer on shaft. The G400 Alta shaft is made by Aldila. And I think Aldila and UST are owned by same company. 

Regarding your question,  I vaguely remember reading another forum or web article a year or so ago ? that the PING Tour 65 is an UST Elements Chrome -- but you need to verify that, I am going off memory and could be wrong.

IF so, here is link to UST Elements Chrome https://www.ustmamiya.com/golf-shafts/brands/elements/discontinued-models/elements-chrome-wood/ . 

Ping’s actual involvement with the shaft design process is kind of ambiguous, it is more likely that they are providing requirements and then the staff at Aldila and UST are designing the actual layup pattern at which point Ping tests prototypes to provide feedback.

Ping takes the multi OEM private label approach mainly for supply chain reasons (multiple sources in case one of them has a problem and can’t deliver on an order). Historically the primary stock shaft (I believe this applies to the Alta) has been produced by both Aldila and UST. The Tour 65/75/80 shafts have been produced exclusively by UST.

Also, Aldila is owned by MCA (formerly Mitsubishi Rayon) and UST is owned by Mamiya-OP neither of which have any affiliation. 

Edited by storm319
  • Like 1

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

44 minutes ago, storm319 said:

Ping’s actual involvement with the shaft design process is kind of ambiguous, it is more likely that they are providing requirements and then the staff at Aldila and UST are designing the actual layup pattern at which point Ping tests prototypes to provide feedback.

Ping takes the multi OEM private label approach mainly for supply chain reasons (multiple sources in case one of them has a problem and can’t deliver on an order). Historically the primary stock shaft (I believe this applies to the Alta) has been produced by both Aldila and UST. The Tour 65/75/80 shafts have been produced exclusively by UST.

Also, Aldila is owned by MCA (formerly Mitsubishi Rayon) and UST is owned by Mamiya-OP neither of which have any affiliation. 

Thank you for the correct information. "Aldila is owned by MCA (formerly Mitsubishi Rayon) and UST is owned by Mamiya-OP neither of which have any affiliation".