TESTERS WANTED! ×

T100s/T200 split set -An Unofficial Review (fixed)

Perrymr

The set up

T100s: 7-48* 

T200: 4,5,6

Project X LZ 6.5 (x-flex) 125g

2* upright

Tour velvet.

T100s (7,8,9,P,G)

I was first drawn to the T100s because these irons look so freaking clean.  I had no intention of buying a set, I just wanted to try and hit a club that I thought was out of my league.

What I found however, was a relatively forgiving and extremely fun to hit set.

To clarify, when I say forgiving, I don't mean your miss hits will be knocking down flags, and I don't mean your chunked shots will still be pin high.

What I DO mean, is that if you catch it a little thin, or a bit on the toe, you're still gonna be in the hole.  You may have to make a long putt or get up and down to save par,  but you'll still be in play.

its forgiving for the type of iron that it is.

what I like most about these irons is the distance control.  The speed feels consistent across the face (gross miss hits not included) and i have yet to have a ball rocket over the green because a particularly "hot" part of the club face.

I was also impressed with how well the club moved through the turf, especially coming from a much wider soled set (jpx 825)

If i had to nitpick the only compliant I have is that the pw and gw are 44 and 48, respecticly.  I would have preferred 45 and 50.  And i know the t100 is close to that, and I know I can bend them, but then we are messing the bounce, yadda yadda yadda.

Final though on the T100s, they feel and look great, and if you are stuck between GI and players iron, I would suggest at the very least giving the T100s a few swings.

T200 (4,5,6)

The decision to use the T200 for the longer irons was a result of having a frank discussion with myself about my own skill level.

The heads are a little bigger, soles wider, and they resist face manipulation a bit more.  Couple that with stronger lofts and a hotter face and they fit the bill for what i need in my longer irons.

Having never gamed the t200 short irons I can only speculate, but I don't know if I'd like the hotter face in my short irons.  I did try the t200 and t100 7 irons back to back, and the extra pop from the T200 is very noticeable. 

The T200 also made painful noise on miss-hits, but its a small price to pay for keeping it in play.

The Combo Set

I am a huge fan of the split set, and am glad I went this route.  There is no reason to have irons in your bag that you don't feel confident with.  For me this meant using longer irons I know will launch high enough and straight enough, and shorter irons that are consistent and predictable.  

closing

I think the T100s and the T200 are solid clubs, and i would recommend trying them if you are in the market for new irons.

20200731_104730.jpg

20200731_105120.jpg

20200731_105846.jpg

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

Very nice clubs! Being honest with yourself and going this route should help you lower your handicap

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...

Sharp looking set! I play the 620 CBs 4-9 right now and I am debating whether or not to swap out the 4-6 iron for T100. Does this seem like a plausible idea? I will strengthen the lofts by 1 degree on my CBs to match the T100 4-6 iron. Thanks for the input! 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

On 8/20/2020 at 12:32 AM, PingMD702 said:

Sharp looking set! I play the 620 CBs 4-9 right now and I am debating whether or not to swap out the 4-6 iron for T100. Does this seem like a plausible idea? I will strengthen the lofts by 1 degree on my CBs to match the T100 4-6 iron. Thanks for the input! 

@PingMD702 I dont know much about the CBs ( as a lefty my access to clubs is very hit and miss) but if you like the feel of the t100 and  you find they fit your game better i would definitely endorse using them, i love mine.  I dont know how I feel about bending your CBs to match the t100 though.  If i did any bending at all it would be to make the long irons fit my scoring clubs, not the other way around.  I also have a steeper swing, so the thought of taking bounce away from shorter irons doesn't give me warm fuzzy's.

Let me know what you end up doing 

Lefty

1 hour ago, Perrymr said:

@PingMD702 I dont know much about the CBs ( as a lefty my access to clubs is very hit and miss) but if you like the feel of the t100 and  you find they fit your game better i would definitely endorse using them, i love mine.  I dont know how I feel about bending your CBs to match the t100 though.  If i did any bending at all it would be to make the long irons fit my scoring clubs, not the other way around.  I also have a steeper swing, so the thought of taking bounce away from shorter irons doesn't give me warm fuzzy's.

Let me know what you end up doing 

Thanks for the input! Ive been trying to figure out how I would approach this haha. I absolutely agree with you about bending the longer irons to fit the scoring clubs and not the other way around. I am going to try out my Buddys 4-6 t100 on Sunday and then ill report back haha. If only I could just do a straight trade CBs for T100 hahah. Thanks again! 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

• 1 month later...

I have a similar setup to this except with a T100S 6 iron instead a T200 and would say your assessment of these irons are pretty spot on with mine.  The T100S irons feel great and give me the little bit of extra distance I prefer to hit my irons compared to the T100.  The T200 longer irons still feel good but still provide a little more forgiveness.  

Those are great looking irons. As much as I love my Black combo set of them, those are some shiny beauties. 

I have many of the same thoughts on both ends of the set.  The 100S are just incredible feeling

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Those are great looking irons. As much as I love my Black combo set of them, those are some shiny beauties. 
I have many of the same thoughts on both ends of the set.  The 100S are just incredible feeling

I have to say I’m quite pleased that the black finish is holding up nicely! Occasional scratches here and there but just another part of the story for our weapons of choice!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Very nice & Lefty, good job

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 7/31/2020 at 12:31 PM, Perrymr said:

The Combo Set

I am a huge fan of the split set, and am glad I went this route.  There is no reason to have irons in your bag that you don't feel confident with.  For me this meant using longer irons I know will launch high enough and straight enough, and shorter irons that are consistent and predictable

Great write-up, thanks!  The more I read from the forum and other sources, the more a "combo set" makes sense.  It is definitely something I'll be asking about at my upcoming bag fitting.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 1 month later...

Great write up. Fellow lefty here rocking the T100s, I bent mine weak a degree and do not notice turf/bounce change. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got the same 6-7 gap.  Its a little bigger than ideal, but choking down on the 6, or deporting the 7 usually does well enough for someone and imprecise as me.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:18 AM, DoubleDown9 said:

Thanks for the very helpful post as I just picked up the same type combo set T200 4-6 and T100S 7-PW. Question - How is your combo set lofted? The set I got is lofted as follows:

4-21

5-24

6-27

7-32

8-36

9-40

PW-44

Thx!

Lefty