TESTERS WANTED! ×

Thrifty/Frugal/Meager Golfer

MadMex

For many years my goal was to own golf shirts with the alligator on them, it was sort of a financial success goal.

Now that I have reached a level where I can buy those shirts ( not a millionaire, but still play my $2 a week powerball )  I find myself looking for bargains!

I found that the Ben Hogan golf shirts I bought at Wal-Mart are JUST as comfortable my Nike Dry-Fit shirts ( found them at ROSS for $19.99) 

The  $15.99,  golf shorts I bought at COSTCO, are MORE comfortable than the $60+ Under Armour shorts my daughter gave me for Christmas.

So, any other bargains out there?

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

For many years my goal was to own golf shirts with the alligator on them, it was sort of a financial success goal.
Now that I have reached a level where I can buy those shirts ( not a millionaire, but still play my $2 a week powerball )  I find myself looking for bargains!
I found that the Ben Hogan golf shirts I bought at Wal-Mart are JUST as comfortable my Nike Dry-Fit shirts ( found them at ROSS for $19.99) 
The  $15.99,  golf shorts I bought at COSTCO, are MORE comfortable than the $60+ Under Armour shorts my daughter gave me for Christmas.
I thrift my shirts anymore tbh. I probably have close to 100 polos right now. I find tons of Nike, UA, Adidas, Callaway, Puma at the stores. Occasionally I find some Peter Millar and Footjoy too. It's hard to pass up $4 for a shirt that's got nothing wrong with it when I know it's gonna be $50+ new.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

16 hours ago, MadMex said:

I like the Ben Hogan polos at Walmart as well, but i really like the Amazon Essentials golf polos and shorts. You can get them for less than $20 and I have no complaints

I buy Greyson polos for about $35 a piece. Normally about a $100 a piece.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I go to the Ahead factory clearance every December and pick up $50 polos for $5 each on the last day of their sale when they're trying to get rid of as much stock as possible. That usually sets me up for the coming year plus.

Shorts are another story - I've found some really nice ones at BJ's/Sams that usually go for $15-$20 that are extremely comfortable and breathable. I've actually worn them while biking too, so the fact that they can handle double duty helps even more.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I hit the outlet stores at the end of the season. Nike and under armor have their shirts on sale and shorts for less than $25 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I go to the Ahead factory clearance every December and pick up $50 polos for $5 each on the last day of their sale when they're trying to get rid of as much stock as possible. That usually sets me up for the coming year plus.

Shorts are another story - I've found some really nice ones at BJ's/Sams that usually go for $15-$20 that are extremely comfortable and breathable. I've actually worn them while biking too, so the fact that they can handle double duty helps even more.

That's a steal.  Not quite that good, but there is an outlet store in Yuma that has a pretty good selection of golf shorts, tee's, and some pullovers.  Our first season there in 2017, my wife came home from shopping with about a half dozen of each.  I said are you crazy?  I asked her how much.  She told me the prices and I repeated are you crazy... why didn't you buy more? 😆  They were IZOD and Adidas shorts, Callaway and Golden Bear collared polo shirts - for $20 and $12-15 respectively.  I subsequently saw the same Adidas shorts at Dicks on sale for $30. 

I suspect they are seconds, but I'll be darn if we can find any blems.  Besides, even if they did it would match my golf game. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

That's a steal.  Not quite that good, but there is an outlet store in Yuma that has a pretty good selection of golf shorts, tee's, and some pullovers.  Our first season there in 2017, my wife came home from shopping with about a half dozen of each.  I said are you crazy?  I asked her how much.  She told me the prices and I repeated are you crazy... why didn't you buy more?   They were IZOD and Adidas shorts, Callaway and Golden Bear collared polo shirts - for $20 and $12-15 respectively.  I subsequently saw the same Adidas shorts at Dicks on sale for $30. 
I suspect they are seconds, but I'll be darn if we can find any blems.  Besides, even if they did it would match my golf game. 
If we're not on tour, at least we can dress like we are!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I worked for adidas for many years. If you can find an outlet they always have some good deals. Once items come in they get a “outlet price” and then have some kind of promo on top of that. The adidas near me is currently doing 50% off. Target also recently started a new athletic brand and I love their shorts. 

Driver: TM M2 2016

Fairway: Cobra King Ltd

Hybrid: Aeroburner TP 3h

Irons: TM Tour Preferred UDI 2 iron

Cobra Fly Z+ 4 - PW

Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 

Putter: Piretti Cottonwood II

I just picked up some Greg Norman shirts at Marshalls for $12 and Greg Norman shorts at Sam's Club for the same price. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I just picked up some Greg Norman shirts at Marshalls for $12 and Greg Norman shorts at Sam's Club for the same price. 

Same here,,, 2 more pairs of shorts !!

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

I typically shop at my states golf show once a year. They have 2 for 20 brand new polos that are excess branded polos by local golf clubs that didn't sell. I usually buy 2-4. I also search ebays for steals. It's amazing how many brand new nice polos you can find on ebay for less than $20.

I have also started buying Tennis polos instead of golf polos. From a performance standpoint I havent noticed much difference but they do seem to be 50% cheaper than a comparable golf polo. 

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

On 8/2/2020 at 8:40 AM, Lacassem said:

I hit the outlet stores at the end of the season. Nike and under armor have their shirts on sale and shorts for less than $25 

You can get nice Izod shirts for a steal at the outlet mall.

Also: if you know what you're doing you can get quality stuff SUPER cheap on eBay

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Also: if you know what you're doing you can get quality stuff SUPER cheap on eBay
They closed both in Cleveland I have a ton of stuff from them.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

25 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Nike,/UA/IZOD so far are the best fitting for me. I usually use my "kohls cash" to get an IZOD shirt from there. Tends to be right around $20 so why not snag the work/golf shirt for free?! Kind of free.....

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I like the Hogans at Walmart also. 

There is a polo at Academy Sports, I think its BCG, that is usually on sale for around $15 that is a nice shirt.

Got a Saddleback at Belk at 70% off, cost me $13, that is my new favorite.

ksted

• driver: Ping G410 plus
  • 3 wood: Ping G400
  • 5 wood: Ping G400
  • hybrid: Cobra F8
  • irons: Ping G400 4-gw
  • wedges: Ping G400 U 50, Cleveland RTX4 56, Zipcore 60
  • putter: Evnroll ER2
  • balls:  Srixon Q Star Tour/Titleist Tour Soft

On 8/1/2020 at 5:56 AM, Tsmithjr9 said:

I thrift my shirts anymore tbh. I probably have close to 100 polos right now. I find tons of Nike, UA, Adidas, Callaway, Puma at the stores. Occasionally I find some Peter Millar and Footjoy too. It's hard to pass up $4 for a shirt that's got nothing wrong with it when I know it's gonna be $50+ new.

Take Dead Aim

Big fan as well. Usually can find at least one dry-fit shirt every time I go... after seeing this thread yesterday I stopped by and found what looked like a brand new Peter Millar in my size for $4.99 lol

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

Big fan as well. Usually can find at least one dry-fit shirt every time I go... after seeing this thread yesterday I stopped by and found what looked like a brand new Peter Millar in my size for $4.99 lol
That's what I'm talking about!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim