TESTERS WANTED! ×

No Driver this week

So I am thinking about playing a few rounds this week and I think I am going to keep the driver in the bag, just want to see how different I will score (if any), by using more irons or fairway woods off the tee.  I hit a small cut with my 3W and hit my 5W dead straight.  Driver has been a bit off lately so I just want to see how we do, have any of you tried this?  If so, I would love to hear your results, if not, lets give it a try and see how good or bad we do. Who's in?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I’ve been doing this for the last 2 months while I waited for my aftermarket shaft for my G410 plus to arrive. I’m hitting way more fairways(69% vs 45%) but hitting less greens in regulation(45% vs 38%) no real difference in total score from the same 2 month span in 2019 with my old driver. Still shooting 78-82 on an average day.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I've been doing this for the last few rounds. I recently got a new 3W with a much firmer and heavier shaft than before, and realized how much effect the shaft in my driver is having on my misses as the new 3W dispersion is way better.  As much as I love to hit driver, I actually score better and lose a lot less balls using 3W or 4 iron off the tee.  I am planning to replace the shaft in the driver soon but shopping and pondering between a couple of choices right now. Funny how things change, driver used to always be in the fairway when I got it.

off the tee, how far do you all normally hit your 3w?

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

I could honestly play without a driver as the courses I typically play are older and short by today's standards. Added with playing at 4,200 feet certainly helps with a 1 club difference.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

On 8/1/2020 at 11:47 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

So I am thinking about playing a few rounds this week and I think I am going to keep the driver in the bag, just want to see how different I will score (if any), by using more irons or fairway woods off the tee.  I hit a small cut with my 3W and hit my 5W dead straight.  Driver has been a bit off lately so I just want to see how we do, have any of you tried this?  If so, I would love to hear your results, if not, lets give it a try and see how good or bad we do. Who's in?

I’ve done this twice this year already. The first time was because I had sold my driver, and was having my hybrid and 3w re-shafted, so I didn’t have anything above 4 iron. The course was 6400 yards from the blue tees, so, really, it didn’t warrant driver anyway. Shot 76.

The next round was yesterday. The course just doesn’t call for driver for me. Too narrow, too short, doglegs with huge oaks blocking angles, etc. Hit hybrid and irons all day. Shot 77. 

Honestly, I wouldn’t NEED to hit driver on most courses unless they have long carries over hazards, or hazards that are in my 4 iron range, but leave 4 iron for a second shot on a par 4. To me, driver use is dictated by the second shot distance, and design of the hole. So many guys I play with hit driver just because... I choose to play to specific distances instead.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

I’ve done this twice this year already. The first time was because I had sold my driver, and was having my hybrid and 3w re-shafted, so I didn’t have anything above 4 iron. The course was 6400 yards from the blue tees, so, really, it didn’t warrant driver anyway. Shot 76.

The next round was yesterday. The course just doesn’t call for driver for me. Too narrow, too short, doglegs with huge oaks blocking angles, etc. Hit hybrid and irons all day. Shot 77. 

Honestly, I wouldn’t NEED to hit driver on most courses unless they have long carries over hazards, or hazards that are in my 4 iron range, but leave 4 iron for a second shot on a par 4. To me, driver use is dictated by the second shot distance, and design of the hole. So many guys I play with hit driver just because... I choose to play to specific distances instead.

I feel the same, my course is relatively short as well with no forced carries off the tee.  It is tree lined and I feel if I am not having a good day with the driver it really gets me in trouble because I am having to punch out of the trees.  I also look at the distance I want to hit for my second, third shots.  I don't want to hit 4 or 5 irons into greens if I can hit say a 7 or an 8.  I plan on trying to get out today before the hurricane to see what I can shoot.  Wish me luck!  haha

I could honestly play without a driver as the courses I typically play are older and short by today's standards. Added with playing at 4,200 feet certainly helps with a 1 club difference.

You in Salt Lake City with me?

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

4 hours ago, Micah T said:

No, Utah County. Your yardages are within a few of mine.

You in Salt Lake City with me?

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I went a whole season without mine, just hit 3W off the tee. I got really good at hitting my long irons or hybrids to make up distance for 2nd shot. Now I’m straight with my driver, but my hybrids are starting to act up on par 5’s.

It’s a good strategy if you can make up the yardage

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

The course I play I can only really hit driver on 2-3 holes so I regularly leave it out of the bag. If I am swinging ok, then it does make my approach to the par 5's a little easier but the distance difference between my to my 3 wood is only 20M.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

So I played this afternoon, the course is 6300 yards so not too long.  I shot a 75.  The greens were pretty soft so I could attack a lot of the pins.  This year I have been high 70's low 80's.  So here are my takeaways:  I hit 44% greens in regulation and 36% fairways in regulation.  Not good.  I missed a few fairways by just a bit but still, the 36% needs to be better.  What I think happened today was the fact that I was missing fairways, but not by much.  If I had driver in hand, I think those misses would have been much worse.  The length didn't bother me.  I love my long irons and I I actually eagled a par 5 by going 3w then 3 hybrid to 4 ft.  Ok, I'll take that.  The next time (as of pre hurricane) that I plan on playing is Wednesday so I'll give it another shot of no driver. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've reached the point where I just don't use my driver as I can't get the distance with it.  I consitently hit my 3W further, and maybe a bit straighter too.

I know the main issue is almost certainly my technique etc.  I am tempted to look at getting a different one, but feel I want to at least be hitting my current one fairly consistently before I do.

Check out the cobra connect thread in the reviews section. Last week was irons only and I think you will be surprised by some of the results. I know I played better (could have used some wedges though) 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I don't do it for every hole as a general rule. Knock on wood, drivers hasn't gone haywire enough in the last few years to warrant considering that to be my best option.   But the more improvement I make, I began to realize that hitting my driver to half shot distances on short par 4's, wasn't always the best option.  began to hit 4 iron 3wood or whatever to a specific comfortable 100, 120,  135 full swing distance.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 2 weeks later...

I know the feeling all too well of a misbehaving driver. 

My go-to is the 5w. The extra spin helps it go straighter

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg