TESTERS WANTED! ×

TaylorMade Performance Labs Infiltration Mission

GolfSpy Tim

TaylorMade Performance Labs - Infiltration Mission

Getting embedded at TMPL and digging beyond the matte white finish

heroLabs982x584_fullbody03.jpg

Intro:

It was brought to my attention while participating in a recent MGS top secret forum thread, there was an interest amongst our agents of sending someone to spy on the TaylorMade custom fitting process. I love being embedded as a spy, so I figured I would give it a shot and see if maybe the easiest way to sneak in might be to knock on the front door, so I shot an email off.

After a couple of emails and phone calls, I got the go ahead and we are set for an all access review of the TaylorMade Performance Labs (TMPL) fitting process - and possibly some insight into TaylorMade's newest creations.

tmpl-3d.jpg

Some quick searching around online has given me some pre-mission insight into what I might be facing upon arriving at the TMPL fitting facility in Carlsbad, CA. While I'm spying on their inner workings, the TMPL pros will have some pretty high tech gear analyzing my every movement, and upon completion of my mission, I will walk away with a cd/dvd filled with data on me and my swing.

TaylorMade Performance Labs claims on their site that they provide "Golf's Ultimate Fitting Experience." Within the next week I hope to report back with first hand experience and intel, but first I need your help.

Questions for TaylorMade?

I will have access to interrogate (interview) several TaylorMade Performance Labs personel as well as possible insights from Dave Cordero, Manager of Public Relations at TaylorMade.

I have a list of fitting questions prepared for TaylorMade, but I would love to hear what my fellow spies want to know about the TaylorMade Performance Labs process, their technology, as well as any questions for TaylorMade in general.

Fire away, let's see if we can get some of TaylorMade's secrets answered.

Your predictions?

A good spy is always well prepared and doesn't go into a situation without an idea of what they are looking for, and with my previous fitting with another OEM, I have some ideas of what directions things will go, but I don't know the TaylorMade line as well as many of you might, so I'm curious what you predict will be the suggested sticks for this fitting.

My curiousity:

I'm very curious how much of a difference there will be doing a fitting indoors vs. outdoors. Also, I love data, so being hooked up to reflectors and cameras recording my every move should be pretty interesting, though possibly a bit nerve racking.

Having never done a putter fitting, I've watched videos and read a bit about other manufacturer's putter fittings, and I'm excited to see how this process works and how much of a difference it might make.

Ultimately, it should be really fun to experience this fitting, get some really great insight into my swing and share this whole process with all of our MGS readers, and also to see if we can find out any intelligence in the midst of it all.

tmpl-pre.jpg

Despite the fact that I'm not willing to shell out the cash to actually buy any TM stuff, I'm actually a big fan of their Burner 2.0 Superfast series and their hybrids. I wanted to like the R11, but just hated the feel of it. Same goes for their irons, which are all essentially the same, except for lofts.

Post your SS, typical ball flight, how often your slice/hook a ball, do you prefer heavier/lighter clubs, etc... and I can probably guess what they'll fit you with.

For the average golfer, I'm guessing the following:

R11 Driver

R11 3-wood

Rescue Hybrid (I believe these are also stamped R11, but aren't terribly customizable)

Burner 2.0 Irons

For a better golfer, I'm guessing:

Burner 2.0 Superfast Driver

Burner 2.0 Superfast 3 wood

TM Forged Tour Pro CB irons

TM wedges and putters aren't great IMO, so I have no idea about those.

Tim, I have the following questions:

1) What launch monitor does TM use to ensure accurate results?

2) What 3-D capture system do they use? Did they shell out the big $$$ for an AMM system?

3) When you go to the range is the same launch monitor used?

(cynicism)Looks like a pretty incredible facility but my guess is they will fit you with whichever products in their lineup are the most expensive.(/ cynicism)

Regardless, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I know I would.

Callaway FT-5 Tour Draw 10.5*

Powerbilt AirForceOne N7 3w

PING I15 2H

TE Trilogy 4H

Acer XF 5-PW

VR Forged Black 52*

CG12 Black Pearl 56*

CG14 Black Pearl 60*

Flavor of the Week Putter

question: what kind of simulator/launch monitor do they use? :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 1 month later...

They use MATT technology for their fittings, for those asking. It's motion analysis and they put you in there with the little white dots all over you and on the club, like when they're making live action animation or video games. It's an awesome system. They just gave another trip away to 5 members and a mod at WRX for an R11 iron fitting at the new Dallas facility, just like they did with the R11 before it's release there, except there were 12 driver fittings, 6 at each Kingdom location (before the Dallas location opened). A friend of mine won one of the Kingdom R11 driver fittings and told me all about it. The latest R11 irons fitting also had one day of instruction from Hank Haney.

They were using a Trackman Launch Monitor back when he went to the Kingdom, both indoors and out. The new Dallas location has the newer MATT system (when I say new, the paint was still drying when they were there a few weeks ago).

Maybe one day they'll offer an experience for here, like they did there, and do it for x number of readers/posters (which TMag help choose) and one mod.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived