TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lead Tape on Putters

RyanJohnson_Official

Hi there folks!

In today's session we will talk about lead tape on putters! Or more appropriately, I will ask about it 🙂

I recently realized that I choke up on my putter (34") about an inch, and then decided I should just join the elite group known as 33" putter putters (not sure if that is a thing).

Anyway, I took it to the local golf shop and they were able to save my grip, cut it down and let me have a go. I took it to the practice green and MAN, it felt so light! In a bad way. I talked to my tec guy who put some lead tape on the back of the head and in the center. It felt closer to what I had before, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what should I expect from this? I know in a driver, weight back means higher launch. Should I expect to be hitting bombs with the Texas Wedge now?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom. Pictures for reference. 

IMG_20200731_172654.jpg

IMG_20200731_172705.jpg

IMG_20200731_172710.jpg

WITB:

Callaway Rogue ST - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Cleveland RTX4 58

#ROCKCHALK

I have an old Scotty that I put lead tape on and it worked well.  I just like a heavy club and with the older model there was not much weight in the head.  If you like the feel of it, roll it! 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I have a 33 inch Cleveland Huntington Beach (which has a head weight suited to a 34" putter) and it isn't like a scotty- it doesn't have removable weights.  So I have about 10 full grams worth of lead tape on the bottom of my putterhead and I have found that it works great and makes no difference in regards to the roll of the putt.  

If you look at the scotty website, they acknowledge that 33", shorter putters need more weight in the head (~360 grams vs ~345-350 for a 34" putter) and so the tape is a great option.  I bought a roll of it and played around with it until I found the appropriate weight that suited my swing and tempo.

Just keep an eye on it and make sure that the corners stay on and don't peel, etc.  I once had a little corner that didn't stick properly and it drove me nuts for a round.

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

I have an edel putter so I would have to be really careful with putting lead tape any where on the club.  I would suggest getting a SAM lab fitting to see if the putter needs better adjusted.  I know it's not an economical option, but in the end may save you some money.  I've spent around $60 just in grips this year, which has been extremely frustrating.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

the beautiful thing about Lead Tape is that you can always remove it, or add more until you find the feel you're looking for. I'd tell you to experiment until you dial in that feel and then leave it the hell alone unless you think your stroke necessitates a change.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I have 13g of lead tape on the bottom of my Ping Arna. It's a trial period to see if I like the added weight. Once I find the best weight, I'll yank the lead tape and then fill the shaft with the same amount of tungsten powder and cork it. 

If you can find a cheap food scale (~$10 on Amazon), you'll be able to see how much weight from the lead tape you're actually using on your clubs. It looks like you may only have a few grams of added weight with your tape. It's shocking how much you need to feel a difference in the swing weight. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

On 8/1/2020 at 5:35 PM, RyanJohnson_Official said:

Hi there folks!

In today's session we will talk about lead tape on putters! Or more appropriately, I will ask about it 🙂

I recently realized that I choke up on my putter (34") about an inch, and then decided I should just join the elite group known as 33" putter putters (not sure if that is a thing).

Anyway, I took it to the local golf shop and they were able to save my grip, cut it down and let me have a go. I took it to the practice green and MAN, it felt so light! In a bad way. I talked to my tec guy who put some lead tape on the back of the head and in the center. It felt closer to what I had before, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what should I expect from this? I know in a driver, weight back means higher launch. Should I expect to be hitting bombs with the Texas Wedge now?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom. Pictures for reference. 

IMG_20200731_172654.jpg

IMG_20200731_172705.jpg

IMG_20200731_172710.jpg

I would think at slow swing speeds used in putting, the higher/lower center of gravity will not have much of an effect on roll. Not enough force to transfer the difference to the ball.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

The "fitter" in my local pro shop cautioned me about cutting a putter shaft down and recommended choking down on it for this reason. He said that cutting an inch off of the shaft meant removing about 40 grams of weight from the putter, and the head would feel light. I re-gripped and choked down, as I didn't want to lose the "feel" i had and liked. With a lot of putters you can replace the removable weights for heavier ones, getting the weight back where it was.  The putter I was using at the time didn't have removeable weights.

ksted

• driver: Ping G410 plus
  • 3 wood: Ping G400
  • 5 wood: Ping G400
  • hybrid: Cobra F8
  • irons: Ping G400 4-gw
  • wedges: Ping G400 U 50, Cleveland RTX4 56, Zipcore 60
  • putter: Evnroll ER2
  • balls:  Srixon Q Star Tour/Titleist Tour Soft

I cut my putter down 2 inches and it was way too light. I don't know how much weight I added to it, but it was several strips on the bottom of the putter.  It made all the difference in the world. It doesn't seem to have impacted the roll of the putts with the added weight on the bottom, but it definitely helped my putting stroke.

This same bunch of lead tape has been on this 33" 8802 since the mid/late 90's.

20200809_151628.jpg

20200809_151634.jpg

Mavrik 9* Driver / Mavrik 15* 3W / Callaway Razr Fit 18* 5W (stiff graphite, standard)

Callaway X2hot pro 2 hybrid, Taylormade GAPR High 4 (stiff graphite, standard)

Sub 70  699/Pro combo 5 - PW (stiff graphite, standard length, 1 deg upright lie)

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 54* / Ping Glide 2.0 60*

Odysee Triple Track 10 Putter / Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

Lead weight is the way to go to get the right swing weight. Another option would be finding a lightweight putter grip to increase the swing weight. Golfworks sells rubber coated tungsten  squares that might be more visually appealing on top compared to lead tape but that depends on your preference. Don't throw any weight down the shaft as that could change the center of gravity towards the heel. There is nothing wrong with cutting a putter down to 33" and I prefer mine at 33" vs choking down. This is the part of golf where you have to give up looks to get fit properly. The other option is get a different putter with heavier head or adjustable weights. 

• 2 weeks later...

try a product calld tour loc its a weighting system put in the grip area of the club. there are several weights to choose form and this counter balances your putter as well. after changing grips on my putter it was too light so i added the 75 gm weight for counter balancing and brought the club bck up and feels great.

(This is for the old golfers 🙂 ) Reviewing this thread reminds me of a long time ago when I started playing golf. Back then I think nearly everyone I knew that played either a Titleist Bullseye or Wilson 8802 had layers of lead tape on their putters. Even the guys with the Ping Ansers had it. 

17 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

(This is for the old golfers 🙂 ) Reviewing this thread reminds me of a long time ago when I started playing golf. Back then I think nearly everyone I knew that played either a Titleist Bullseye or Wilson 8802 had layers of lead tape on their putters. Even the guys with the Ping Ansers had it. 

That's because those putters weighed next to nothing.  I used a Bullseye a few years ago in a rental set, and I couldn't feel the head, but I like heavier putters.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”