xOldBenKenobiX

My wife just doesn't get it.

Our Sponsors

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Complete multi-sentence description, in writing, with links to said potential gifts and images is the only way to go. And it works both ways - my wife is the one that started that with ME and it's worked out just fine. 

We do that every Christmas - including with our adult kids. The 'list' is long enough that we're still surprised.  

• Like 4

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

21 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

"Giving hints" to your wife LOL

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Complete multi-sentence description, in writing, with links to said potential gifts and images is the only way to go. And it works both ways - my wife is the one that started that with ME and it's worked out just fine. 

People out here "giving hints" and expecting that to actually work... I'm dying over here. 

Not related to gifts, I asked my wife to pick up Ribeye steak at the grocery store and she returned and she said she got a good deal. I looked at the package and it was round steak...

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

My wife and I do not exchange gifts.  When we were dating she gave me two luxury brand wallets (one for hip pocket and one for a suit jacket) so I told her if she ever got me a gift again the relationship would be over.

If I want something I will buy myself and she does the same.  No need to spend hundreds of dollars multiple times a year on things we might not even want.  Every 3 -5 years I take the money that would have been spent on normal gifts and purchase her a big ticket item instead.  These are the type of gifts she will keep forever and she already has plans to pass them on to our daughters.

• Like 3

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

22 hours ago, Perrymr said:

Agreed, buy it yourself and instead of tangible gifts for bdays go out to a restaurant you normally wouldn't splurge on, or something like that. 

At this point the situation is humorous, I will buy it eventually here, I am just seeing what if anything related to golf she will get, to be fair, the best gift she ever got me, was the PlayStation 4 on launch day. So maybe she will go for the PlayStation 5 later this year, I am okay with that.

• Like 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

22 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Yeah, I don't think I could accept it after the first 2 failed attempts either, but I don't think it's our place to criticize your wife, since you married her and love her.

That's why my wife and I don't exchange gifts. We have shared accounts, so it's the same as taking our money and just buying what we need/want.

And we can also avoid those unpleasant surprises and don't have to pretend to like a hideous gift.

She is a good sport, just an awful gifter, the good thing for the rest of the family, is that I am in charge of picking the gifts for the kids.

So I am the one who gets to suffer, but in the end of the day, we have a good laugh about it, I do buy most of my golf stuff when I want to, I just gave her this one gift option for the year to see how she would handle it.

We also have shared accounts, so it is hard to surprise each other with something extravagant, usually I will buy small amount gift cards every so often, then combine them when I want to buy her something and not let her know ahead of time, she wont notice 3 months of extra 20 bucks on each grocery run, but she will definitely notice if I spend 250 bucks all at once.

I love her and I am just trying to have a good laugh at her expense.

• Like 3

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

22 hours ago, Micah T said:

True love is knowing someone’s faults and loving them anyway. That said, does your wife like to play pranks/ surprise you? She might be setting you up to be genuinely surprised...

My wife and I exchange lists: so there’s still an element of surprise, but anything we get each other is something the other wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think we might have to start to exchange written lists, that might make it easier for each other.

• Like 3

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

22 hours ago, dlow206 said:

My approach is get my wife the stuff she wants so that she doesn't get on my case for my own golf spending habits lol.

I get her everything she shows interest on, the issue is that she is really bad at taking hints, but she is okay with me spending on golf stuff too. She knows I have an expensive taste, and she does too, just with shinning things she wears.

• Like 2

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

21 hours ago, SmoothG said:

I don't even mess around with "hints".  I'll send my wife an email or text that says "This is what I want for my birthday and here is where you can get it". Then I include a link to the exact item I want. No guessing for her and I'm not walking away feeling disappointed. 

That is awesome and straight to the point, I love it.

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

20 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Yep I do the same, just buy me X or this is what I'm gonna buy myself

Take Dead Aim

I think I am going to start to tell her, just give me cash and fuggedaboutit!

• Like 1

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

16 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

One year she actually gave me a frying pan for Christmas. That was the last straw, now I text, email and tell her point blank, this is what I want, this is where to get it. If I don't get it from her as a gift for what ever occasion it is, the next day I go get it myself!

Chris

15 hours ago, Rickp said:

Can top that, I got a vacuum cleaner. Never figured that out.

Yeah you two had it worse.

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

14 hours ago, MadMex said:

When I read treads like these, I realize how spoiled (blessed) I am !!!

While back, she saw what I was using with Microsoft Flight Simulator X, so she bought me a $450 stick, throttle and rudder set

I wanted to learn how to play guitar (10 years ago) I now have 4 guitars, 1 Strat, 1 gibson, 1 nylon string, 1 steel string and a BASS, still can only play a couple of chords

Got my first "boutique putter" about 12 years ago, a Byron oil can anser 2 model, I now have 12 Byrons

While waiting for our stereo to be finished, we walked to Roger Dunn, I tried the newly release PING G25's, 30 minutes later my order was in,,,,,,,,

I do same for her, she got hit by the golf bug HARD two years ago, her first set is PING LE irons 7-SW, 4 thru 6 hybrid, Cobra F-8 Ladies driver and customs GSS Byron Anser 2 style

Maybe because we both had horrible prior spouses and we are now making up for lost times!!!!!

That is an awesome spouse.

Maybe she actually don't really get me anything expensive, is because I tell her not to a lot of the times.

I prefer to spend our money on her and the kids 25 year old daughter and 12 year old son,  as well as our granddaughter Lailla, she almost 4 months old.

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

"Giving hints" to your wife LOL

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

People out here "giving hints" and expecting that to actually work... I'm dying over here. 

Welp, after two decades, I think it is time to let go of the "hint" strategy.

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Just now, xOldBenKenobiX said:

Welp, after two decades, I think it is time to let go of the "hint" strategy.

Holy cow I thought maybe you guys were married for like, a couple of years or something.

We just celebrated our 22nd anniversary and the whole "hint" thing went out the window before we hit 5 years!

• Haha 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

23 hours ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I always seem to get the short end of our gift exchange. 

I feel you on this. Unfortunately for some of us, that's just the way it goes. The important thing is that you guys love each other and that's all that really matters. 

• Haha 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

6 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I feel you on this. Unfortunately for some of us, that's just the way it goes. The important thing is that you guys love each other and that's all that really matters. 

I love her, even if I spend the rest of my life getting socks and clothes that are too small as gifts.

• Like 2

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Not related to gifts, I asked my wife to pick up Ribeye steak at the grocery store and she returned and she said she got a good deal. I looked at the package and it was round steak...

It was bigger than you Ribeye...wasn't it!! 🤣

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Alta CB- 55

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

:bettinardi-1: BB-41

Grips- GP MCC+4

1 hour ago, TENBUCK said:

It was bigger than you Ribeye...wasn't it!! 🤣

This was a case where the size was taken in consideration before anything else

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

I’m waiting for the Thread “My Idiot Husband Doesn’t Get It”!!
Probably on it’s way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

9 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Holy cow I thought maybe you guys were married for like, a couple of years or something.

We just celebrated our 22nd anniversary and the whole "hint" thing went out the window before we hit 5 years!

Like I said, this is our second try at this marriage thing, 16 years married, 19 together. We do something which I believe has worked for us for those years.

Christmas: We go to stores, WE pick what WE want , the SWITCH carts and walk away from each other. Then we decided what we are buying, so, let's say I put of golf shirts some balls and shorts on my cart, she may get them all or just pick some. Still getting what we want but don't know what.

Birthdays: We go to the store, pick our present, the other pays for it. 

I do find that the "wants" are now far more than needs

• Like 3

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS