Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PING Putter Fitting

With a putter fitting next on my list, I've been cruising the interwebz highway and getting familiar with various approaches to this.  Because PING offers free fittings, I plan to schedule one while in AZ this coming winter.  I found this video of Michael Newton going through a fitting at PING's Europe HQ.  No doubt other OEM's have developed similar analytical devices (i.e. Mizuno's Shaft Optimizer 3D), but I've not seen this one that PING uses. Anyone completed a putter fitting recently and what did they use to help with the downselect?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

With a putter fitting next on my list, I've been cruising the interwebz highway and getting familiar with various approaches to this.  Because PING offers free fittings, I plan to schedule one while in AZ this coming winter.  I found this video of Michael Newton going through a fitting at PING's Europe HQ.  No doubt other OEM's have developed similar analytical devices (i.e. Mizuno's Shaft Optimizer 3D), but I've not seen this one that PING uses. Anyone completed a putter fitting recently and what did they use to help with the downselect?

That’s just a Ping Putter Cradle, and the “phone” in it is running the Ping Putting App. I have a cradle here, and used the app info some years back. It gives path info, etc, and then makes a recommendation on what “stroke” type of putter to choose.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

8 minutes ago, PMookie said:

That’s just a Ping Pitter Cradle, and the “phone” in it is running the Ping Putting App. I have a cradle here, and used the app info some years back. It gives path info, etc, and then makes a recommendation on what “stroke” type of putter to choose.

Well, I don't have a Samsung Galaxy S III.  Also just found this thread. A day late and a dollar short... that's me 🙂.  Thanks

I've been all over the play store looking for the Ping Putting app, I can't seem to locate it, What do I need to look for?

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

Maybe it’s only available on the iPhone.  I just found it in the iOS App Store by searching “ping.”  I’ve tried it with the cradle and it does give some good info.  The downside is the weight it puts on your putter.  

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

https://mygolfspy.com/iping-putter-app-review/   (article about the app)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/iping/id440740108  (IOS/Apple -- sorry no Android)

Possible alternative to IPING: http://www.zeniogolf.com/ (Android friendly) I have no experience with this but read about it on other forums years ago. Might be worth looking into. Good luck. 

Ping HQ used the cradle and app 3 years ago when I was fitted.  Had to stroke 5 balls like in that video with no practice stroke.  I made all 5 in the hole!!  Said I had a slight arc, but I hit a face-balanced mallet the best.  It also said I needed 4º loft and 71º lie angle.  My Sigma G Doon putter is counter-balanced, and Ping had to build one that was shorter than their shortest shafted stock putter.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

https://mygolfspy.com/iping-putter-app-review/   (article about the app)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/iping/id440740108  (IOS/Apple -- sorry no Android)

Possible alternative to IPING: http://www.zeniogolf.com/ (Android friendly) I have no experience with this but read about it on other forums years ago. Might be worth looking into. Good luck. 

Interesting.  The Zenio uses a sensor on the putter face along with attaching the phone to the putter shaft.  They don't outwardly list pricing - think you have to create an account... and we all know what that starts 🙂.

• 3 weeks later...

The ping cradle was the size of Iphone 4 and SE models - the small original size. I found the app useful in comparing existing putters. But I think the weight it adds has to affect your stroke, especially if you use a new, larger phone. I would assume the speed and resulting tempo/weight recommendations are the most affected. The 10 ft putts it asks you to hit isn't going to help assess lag putting which is affected the most by head weight and total putter weight. I had a pro do a putter fitting with the cradle and ping app while watching me putt indoors. The strong arc putter that it fit me into performed worse than slight arc and face balanced putters I tested afterwards on the golf course as well as in my basement. I was able to better compare putters hitting lags down a hallway and assessing start line and aim down a metal ruler. 

Overall, I would avoid any putter fitting where this is the only piece of technology used and recommend looking for people that use SAM Puttlab or Quintic. I would even use a felt roll board and chalk line to assess start line and roll before the PING app for fitting or an outdoor putting green to test longer putts. This is coming from someone who hit hundreds of putts using a strong and slight arc as well as FB putters with the app and cradle over multiple winter months indoors and like PING product so I should be supporting the app if anything and I do agree with their theories on lighter putter heads for faster tempos and heavier for slower... I'm sure PING HQ has more technology at their disposal for a fitting, but would confirm what system they use for customer (non-pro) fittings. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0