Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

When Did You First Get Fitted?

I know that this is definitely not a one size fits all question, but my current situation made me curious.  I just graduated college and love the game!  Currently have some older Mizuno blades (absolutely stunning irons, maybe definitely too blade-y for my play level).  I know that if I got fit for a slightly thicker player's iron or even a game improvement CB iron I would probably be a tad more comfortable.  However, I am young and just starting out in the working world so part of me wants to wait a handful of years to take the plunge.  So, I just figured I would gauge the room:

When did you first go out and get fitted or buy yourself a new set of golf clubs?

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

I was fitted for new irons in 2012, new new driver in 2014, and a new putter in 2017.  Since then, I have replaced everything that I was fitted for, except putter, without a fitting.   Last October I went to TrueSpec for a free full bag fitting and they said they couldn't fit me into anything that would give me better results than what I am already playing... and I was ready to spend money!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I got fitted for a driver in 2016 and it was one of the best golf related decisions I've ever made. Sometime in the near future, I want to get a whole bag fitting. My index is dropping this year, so I hope once my body returns (dropping weight too) I can get all set up.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Got a putter fitting in May, went back for a driver fitting in June, and am going back for a wedge fitting in October. It’s getting to be an issue for me...

But if you go in with the mindset of only purchasing if they can fit you into something that blows away your current gamers that will save you some cash...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

got fitted last year for irons and driver .. I know around me the company second swing will do a fitting when you buy the irons .. even used I believe so you could look for a place like that around you were you can upgrade your clubs and still be affordable. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

1 minute ago, Nolan220 said:

got fitted last year for irons and driver .. I know around me the company second swing will do a fitting when you buy the irons .. even used I believe so you could look for a place like that around you were you can upgrade your clubs and still be affordable. 

That is a really cool option for you.  So many times I have thought about pulling the trigger on a 2-3 year old set at 50% MSRP but I have committed to getting fitted so that I put the best possible set for me in my hands

First professional paid fitting ...... not until after I had played golf for over 35 years.  Those irons were horrible. So I did it again twice and have hated both those sets also!

LOL

Prior to that I had four sets and loved all but one of those.  Maybe because I played more often and far better then.  But the "fit to me" sets haven't worked out all that well for me.

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams Pro 20*/23*  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

WEDGES: Callaway MackDaddy2 52*/56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

BALLS:   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

First fitting I ever had was back in the early 90's but that was for the shaft only. We went to the True Temper office and they had you swing a club that had a cable coming out the top of the shaft that was connected to a laptop. Have to admit the data and graphs that were produced were impressive. One thing that was highlighted was that my driver was bending in 2" towards me at impact. They then provide me with a special X100 shaft the had a really stiff tip. Made a huge difference. Still have it the Callaway Warbird Driver and every now and then take it out for a hit.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I'm yet to have a full bag fitting, I was reading another thread related to club champion, and it really got me interested on getting fully fitted, just not this year. 

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

22 hours ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I'm yet to have a full bag fitting, I was reading another thread related to club champion, and it really got me interested on getting fully fitted, just not this year. 

Never had a full bag fitting, just irons. Hit driver when I was going through the performance centres but the getting a full set was cost prohibitive. Driver and 3 wood cost as much or more than 4-AW. Never had a putter or ball fitting. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

On 8/3/2020 at 8:39 AM, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

I know that this is definitely not a one size fits all question, but my current situation made me curious.  I just graduated college and love the game!  Currently have some older Mizuno blades (absolutely stunning irons, maybe definitely too blade-y for my play level).  I know that if I got fit for a slightly thicker player's iron or even a game improvement CB iron I would probably be a tad more comfortable.  However, I am young and just starting out in the working world so part of me wants to wait a handful of years to take the plunge.  So, I just figured I would gauge the room:

When did you first go out and get fitted or buy yourself a new set of golf clubs?

I had my first fitting my final semester of college in 2013, So a slightly similar situation.  Even though in hindsight I think the fitter dropped the ball with my driver and 3 wood fitting, he nailed the irons.  my enjoyment of the game grew when I was playing clubs that helped me play better.

I  know cost is a concern, but for me it was worth it.  You may also want to bite the bullet and pay for a fitting and then shop used.

My second "fitting" was this summer, but it was less a fitting and more trying different head and shaft combos over a few weeks until I found something that looked and felt good, and then getting on a launch monitor to make sure nothing was too wonky.

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

“Technically” fitted in 1986... Obviously they didn’t have fitting back then like we do today, but at least Pro Golf in Ypsilanti, MI, looked at my swing, height, etc and at least chose a shaft and length based on what they saw. The irons were Dunlop Diamond Max, and the Driver, 3W, and 5W were the original steel Golfsmith heads! They were my pre-graduation gift from my Dad and brother. Dad bought me the irons, my brother bought the “woods”. 

I had those irons until 1993 when I was fitted, statically, by a golf store in Charlotte, NC, for a set of Ping Zing 2, white dot. My favorite irons all-time. They were the first set I bought with my own money. I had those until 2002....

2DFB49CA-D6FD-46F4-9AAD-E26CE50A3FBB.jpeg

20DB49CC-C6ED-427B-8B80-7FD8E7C7F6A4.jpeg

809958EF-ECBF-45D5-8AD7-338168F73F76.jpeg

BE244283-4E9B-48DA-BFD2-BDEF6D6C8885.jpeg

7B31AB72-4B19-4BDD-9C73-649781DE8DC9.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My first fitting was in 1997 at a local golf shop.  It was the first time I had heard of launch monitors and I was impressed with the info it provided.   The fitting resulted in a set of Titleist DCI Black 1" long and 2 degrees upright.  Specs that I followed for several years.  

I have been fit at least a dozens or more times since then.  At OEM HQ's and by the likes of CC and GolfTec and Mobile fitting vans.  

To show how things have changed.  My latest fitting resulted in irons that are on order at specs of 1/4 long and 1 degree flat. 

As one company likes to say #FittingMatters 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

“Technically” fitted in 1986... Obviously they didn’t have fitting back then like we do today, but at least Pro Golf in Ypsilanti, MI, looked at my swing, height, etc and at least chose a shaft and length based on what they saw. The irons were Dunlop Diamond Max, and the Driver, 3W, and 5W were the original steel Golfsmith heads! They were my pre-graduation gift from my Dad and brother. Dad bought me the irons, my brother bought the “woods”. 

I had those irons until 1993 when I was fitted, statically, by a golf store in Charlotte, NC, for a set of Ping Zing 2, white dot. My favorite irons all-time. They were the first set I bought with my own money. I had those until 2002....

2DFB49CA-D6FD-46F4-9AAD-E26CE50A3FBB.jpeg

20DB49CC-C6ED-427B-8B80-7FD8E7C7F6A4.jpeg

809958EF-ECBF-45D5-8AD7-338168F73F76.jpeg

BE244283-4E9B-48DA-BFD2-BDEF6D6C8885.jpeg

7B31AB72-4B19-4BDD-9C73-649781DE8DC9.jpeg

So cool to look back and see just how far we have come in terms of tech... then again, i have had the opportunity to hit those Ping Zings before and they are so pure

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

My first fitting was in 1997 at a local golf shop.  It was the first time I had heard of launch monitors and I was impressed with the info it provided.   The fitting resulted in a set of Titleist DCI Black 1" long and 2 degrees upright.  Specs that I followed for several years.  

I have been fit at least a dozens or more times since then.  At OEM HQ's and by the likes of CC and GolfTec and Mobile fitting vans.  

To show how things have changed.  My latest fitting resulted in irons that are on order at specs of 1/4 long and 1 degree flat. 

As one company likes to say #FittingMatters 

My day will come soon!  So crazy to think about what "fitting" was before launch monitors could track spin, launch, etc. It was an art, not a science

I'm probably an oddball here but I haven't played anything off-the-rack since I was about 11 years old. My dad was a club-builder and we were always tinkering. Then I got to play in college and we were sponsored by Ping. Post-graduation I was definitely too broke to buy new gear until 2 years ago (11 years post-college) when I did a full bag fitting. And I just got fit for a 4-wood two months ago.

The only fitting I haven't done at this point is a ball fitting, but more and more I think I should... 🤔😁

Edited by greggarner
typos for days

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I first got fitted in 1977 at a pro shop at the course i played multiple times a week. I bought my first set of Pings, eye 2s, and have always had at least one set of pings to play since then. I learned then about green dot, upright lie and clubs longer than standard. 6'4" swinging 1970's standard shafts was less fun than fitted pings.

Editing to add Ive been fitted at least a dozen times since then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Late 70's was first series of fittings and all outdoors. After the common wrist to floor measurement it was off to range with the club pro. I remember he had me hit 9 irons as he said I was a junior golfer and that club would give him better idea of irons I needed. Hit regular and stiff flex steel shafted irons as no other options available. Felt more like golf lesson than a golf club fitting as we know today. Completed my fitting he ordered the clubs. The clubs arrived and I watched him modify-trim them to length I could play - regripped. That was the start of my curiosity into club fitting and later club repair/making. 

First was done by a master club maker in early 80's, also been fitted by Ping & Wilson Reps and Taylormade Lab. The Taylormade Lab was cool fitting.  However, the best fitting was from a PGA Pro - actually an LPGA Pro! Charlotta Sorenstam at the Anika Academy (on the range with different club heads, shafts) fitted me for driver to fairway woods, irons including grip size, wedges and putter.  First fitting where she even took the time to fit grip size. By far the best fitting ever had done. PGA/LPGA Pro's definite recommendation.

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I would have had a "static" fitting back in the early 80's when I purchased my Ping Eye 2's.  They were my 3rd set of irons and easily the ones that stayed in the bag for the longest time - 20 years or so.

I was fit for driver by a club pro in 2005 - we had three sessions that included outdoors and launch monitor.  Since then I've had two driver, the Ping long game gapping, one ball and two full bag fittings, including putter both times.  I actually learned a lot about my best iron choices from the ball fitting (titleist rep).  I'm at that point where I pretty much know what I need although obviously an accomplished fitter would be more current on newer equipment, particularly shafts.  My fitter is also my club repair guy so I stay up to date that way.

To answer the OPs question it's really up to you about getting fitted.  How serious are you about golf?  If you are a weekend warrior who enjoys going out and knocking the ball around with your buddies but not that interested in playing competitively, you are fine just picking up a nice used set of GI Irons - since you like Mizuno look for something in their JPX line - if you are a bit more serious you may wish to lay out a few bucks for a fitting and then be committed to playing whatever you end up with for a while.  The first thing you may wish to do is learn your numbers - SS, Angle of Attack, wrist to floor, hand size, those types of things. 

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was fitted by a semi-retired master club builder who had done work for the PGA Tour when I was about 14 years old. Fitted me into a set of club-makers special irons and woods, and I loved those clubs. Since then (29 now) everything has been replaced as they are slightly too small and light for me, and I’ve always done my own ‘fitting’ since then by playing what I like to look at and matching the weight I like to feel. I worked at a golf course in Pennsylvania in college, and the pro would let me hit clubs and pay for them at cost plus a bit which is how I ended up with a Karsten TR Pal putter and an i25 driver. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

First proper fitting for me was 3 years ago.  When I wanted to replace my first set that I got used  around 10 years previously.

Originally went to a golf retail chain outlet at a local course, and got very disillusioned by the commission hunting 'fitter'/salesman steering me too much so I walked away.

I then found an independent fitter who checked my swing on the 'Mizuno gadget' to determine the appropriate shafts for me. I tried multiple irons and woods and got what worked the best for me.  It wasn't the 'full worķs' as in gapping, and tweaking lofts etc, but I was far too inconsistent at the time anyway to have got much out of it, and my budget limited me to stock shaft options.