TESTERS WANTED! ×

The PGA Championship?? 2020 version

Shankster

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I actually have taken lessons from Mark Russo that started that Twitter back and forth with CC but got so intense that even the CC Founder jumped in.  

Wow, sounds like an outspoken guy who truly is looking out for his students/consumers.  I just looked all of that up quite a little hornets nest he stirred up there.  Good back and forth for a bit.  I had actually considered getting fit at CC as one just went in like 5 minutes from my home. But I took one look and the prices and a few of the experiences on MGS and I decided that it was WAAAAAYY too $$$ for me not to mention a bit shady with all the exotic shaft charges. Good on Mark for starting a discussion on this. Saw Crossfield and Paige even chimed in. Thanks! 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

3 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Yeah, I don't disagree that DJ is a phenomenal player at all, he's no doubt one of the most talented of this generation. But Brooks wasn't wrong that he's only won 1 major, and I believe he's now 0/4 in majors when he's got the 54 hole lead. I think it's fair to wonder if it's a coincidence or a trend.

And back to the original question he was asked, I still don't think he was wrong at all. He said he needed to go out and play solid golf, and that he's bringing a lot of experience to the table (experience that ended with a good chunk of wins). He never said DJ or any of the other guys at the top were terrible golfers, just made the point that there's no one he needs to be intimidated by. That just feels like a fair point to me, one he has earned the right to say. 

Nobody is saying he's wrong, stats don't lie. Being correct and an ass are not mutually exclusive.

"need to go out and play solid golf"

is very different than

“When I’ve been in this position before, I’ve capitalized. I don’t know, (Johnson)’s only won one" and "“A lot of the guys on the leaderboard, I don’t think have one,” he said. “I guess DJ has only won one, but I don’t know the other guys that are up there.”

Sure, it's his right to say whatever he wants, but then it's also people's right to bash him for it.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Nobody is saying he's wrong, stats don't lie. Being correct and an ass are not mutually exclusive.
"need to go out and play solid golf"
is very different than
“When I’ve been in this position before, I’ve capitalized. I don’t know, (Johnson)’s only won one" and "“A lot of the guys on the leaderboard, I don’t think have one,” he said. “I guess DJ has only won one, but I don’t know the other guys that are up there.”
Sure, it's his right to say whatever he wants, but then it's also people's right to bash him for it.

Love the “being correct and being an ass are not mutually exclusive line.”

Having written that I remain in the camp that golf is in a great place and a little controversy like this just stirs the pot. I tend towards being a kind person - externally at least - golf has always called for that sort of external demeanor -

It’s a different world now though - now we have a clear reason to either root for or against Brooks and we have lines being drawn between Brooks, Rory and DJ all of whom are forging Hall of Fame careers with Jason Day quietly going about his business, playing solid golf, Bryson, in a world of his own, the young guys and Tiger making strong cameos - plus we have the playoffs and two more majors.

This is going to be a fun three months for the Sport. I like the race to Augusta far more than the race to Dubai.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

6 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Here's my issue with it. Brooks could have easily said the same thing without bringing up any player in particular, let alone DJ who's had a more successful career than Brooks and is/was supposedly the closest person on Tour to Brooks.

The problem is when Brooks says their friendship is blown out of proportion and then singles him out. I know he was leading and the guy Brooks was chasing but it just comes across the wrong way, no matter how true it is that Brooks has 4 majors to DJ's 1.

I don't have an issue with Brooks being outspoken. I genuinely like that he's taking Brandel Chamblee to task for his hyperbolic takes. But then, on the other hand, he's basically bullying Bryson constantly when all Bryson's done to him is play the game on the slower side.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah, that's totally fair 👍

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

6 hours ago, HeathS16 said:

Wow, sounds like an outspoken guy who truly is looking out for his students/consumers.  I just looked all of that up quite a little hornets nest he stirred up there.  Good back and forth for a bit.  I had actually considered getting fit at CC as one just went in like 5 minutes from my home. But I took one look and the prices and a few of the experiences on MGS and I decided that it was WAAAAAYY too $$$ for me not to mention a bit shady with all the exotic shaft charges. Good on Mark for starting a discussion on this. Saw Crossfield and Paige even chimed in. Thanks! 

I don't think CC is all bad. It can really vary from experience to experience, just like most businesses. 

As I mentioned in the thread, I have been fit there and was pleased with the process.  The fitter took the "assume the sell type approach" -having been in sales my whole career, I understood and appreciated what he was doing, but wasn't influenced by it.  

After the fitting, instead of just saying.  Your specs are,  T300, Recoil shaft, Stiff Flex 2 degrees upright..yada yada.

He turned it into an order.

Ok, we're putting you in the T300 with the Recoil shaft.

You good with stiff flex, that showed a bit better dispersion than the R if you recall.  

We're going to order them 2 upright, with GolfPride mid size grips.

I mean, I can see where someone with less buying experience might be swayed into this purchase.   As the fitter/salesperson was entering the info into their database, which was Sales Pro, a system I use everyday to generate sales contracts.  When I asked, "how long have you all been using SalesPro"  It kinda through him.

At that point even I felt the need to say, "Just to be clear i only wanted to get my specs today, I'm not going to order anything yet"  He replied, "Oh, sure I know, i'm just entering the setup so that when you are ready, it'll be all set for you"   

Really nothing at all wrong with that approach, they are in the business to make money.  In this particular case I wasn't even fitted into an upgraded shaft.   Maybe because I said when I went in, I wanted to be fit for the T300--just to compare it to another T300 fitting I had. 

Anyway, it was an interesting thread to read. And to be fair both sides do have value and both have their points.  But I can see where Mark was coming from, he was sticking up for his 23 handicap student.  

We actually the exact scenario play out here, with a student from our DOI had gone CC without telling him.  He fortunately didn't buy, but came back with the printed out order for a full set of TM irons and woods.  The price was like $2,800 I think.  We were able to order him the exact same setup for $1,600.   They had the puring charges on there, and we gave him a bit of a discount for being a student of our instructor.  He was thrilled.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I don't think CC is all bad. It can really vary from experience to experience, just like most businesses. 
As I mentioned in the thread, I have been fit there and was pleased with the process.  The fitter took the "assume the sell type approach" -having been in sales my whole career, I understood and appreciated what he was doing, but wasn't influenced by it.  
After the fitting, instead of just saying.  Your specs are,  T300, Recoil shaft, Stiff Flex 2 degrees upright..yada yada.
He turned it into an order.
Ok, we're putting you in the T300 with the Recoil shaft.
You good with stiff flex, that showed a bit better dispersion than the R if you recall.  
We're going to order them 2 upright, with GolfPride mid size grips.
I mean, I can see where someone with less buying experience might be swayed into this purchase.   As the fitter/salesperson was entering the info into their database, which was Sales Pro, a system I use everyday to generate sales contracts.  When I asked, "how long have you all been using SalesPro"  It kinda through him.
At that point even I felt the need to say, "Just to be clear i only wanted to get my specs today, I'm not going to order anything yet"  He replied, "Oh, sure I know, i'm just entering the setup so that when you are ready, it'll be all set for you"   
Really nothing at all wrong with that approach, they are in the business to make money.  In this particular case I wasn't even fitted into an upgraded shaft.   Maybe because I said when I went in, I wanted to be fit for the T300--just to compare it to another T300 fitting I had. 
Anyway, it was an interesting thread to read. And to be fair both sides do have value and both have their points.  But I can see where Mark was coming from, he was sticking up for his 23 handicap student.  
We actually the exact scenario play out here, with a student from our DOI had gone CC without telling him.  He fortunately didn't buy, but came back with the printed out order for a full set of TM irons and woods.  The price was like $2,800 I think.  We were able to order him the exact same setup for $1,600.   They had the puring charges on there, and we gave him a bit of a discount for being a student of our instructor.  He was thrilled.

If I saved $1200 I’d be thrilled too!! I do think CC probably does a good job a majority of the time. I mean their process is data driven. Hopefully I didn’t come across as being overly critical having had little experience with CC

It is rough lumping the good in with the bad when speaking about a company as one experience certainly doesn’t give an accurate overall view of a business.

I mean, if someone were to ask my students for their opinion about my teaching I’m sure it would differ from one to the other (hopefully positive ).

I think this is where resources like MGS especially can come in handy for people by hopefully fighting some of the gullibility that comes with getting fit. An informed consumer is typically a happy one. I mean knowledge is power and it sounds like it paid off in your experience. If only everyone knew that this info is out there....

27 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

If I saved $1200 I’d be thrilled too!! I do think CC probably does a good job a majority of the time. I mean their process is data driven. Hopefully I didn’t come across as being overly critical having had little experience with CC

It is rough lumping the good in with the bad when speaking about a company as one experience certainly doesn’t give an accurate overall view of a business.

I mean, if someone were to ask my students for their opinion about my teaching I’m sure it would differ from one to the other (hopefully positive emoji23.png).

I think this is where resources like MGS especially can come in handy for people by hopefully fighting some of the gullibility that comes with getting fit. An informed consumer is typically a happy one. I mean knowledge is power and it sounds like it paid off in your experience. If only everyone knew that this info is out there....

Nah, you were fine.  You weren't overly critical. They do open their-selves up to that criticism buy selling so much aftermarket stuff.  You never hear about that happening at TXG or at least that I have heard.

Such a good analogy on the teaching, those that get D's and F's probably blame the teacher, when it was very most likely their fault for not putting in the effort or work to study.  Just like a golf instructor.  If you spend 45 minutes with him very other week, but don't practice in the two weeks between lessons, and don't improve.  Is he a bad instructor or are you a lazy student? 

Joel Dahmen filled in for Max Homa on the "Get A Grip" podcast this week.  Joel didn't exactly hold back about Koepka's comments.  "At this point, his shtick is getting pretty old"!  

Seems pretty clear from listening to Dahmen, Koepka may not be very well liked on Tour.  Maybe Koepka is the reason why Koepka doesn't have friends out there?

Koepka is entirely the reason he doesn't have any friends on tour.

Joel Dahmen filled on for Max Homa on the "Get A Grip" podcast this week.  Joel didn't exactly hold back about Koepka's comments.  "At this point, his shtick is getting pretty old"!  
Seems pretty clear from listening to Dahmen, Koepka may not be very well liked on Tour.  Maybe Koepka is the reason why Koepka doesn't have friends out there?

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

3 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Koepka is entirely the reason he doesn't have any friends on tour.

Sure seems that way, doesn't it.

Personally, I can't stand Bryson DeChambeau.  I think he is a whinny, petulant child with deep seeded insecurities that tend to reveal themselves in certain situations on the golf course.  But Bryson is great for golf!  As is Koepka, even if he is a narcissistic asshat.  

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Nah, you were fine.  You weren't overly critical. They do open their-selves up to that criticism buy selling so much aftermarket stuff.  You never hear about that happening at TXG or at least that I have heard.

Such a good analogy on the teaching, those that get D's and F's probably blame the teacher, when it was very most likely their fault for not putting in the effort or work to study.  Just like a golf instructor.  If you spend 45 minutes with him very other week, but don't practice in the two weeks between lessons, and don't improve.  Is he a bad instructor or are you a lazy student? 

There is a lot of truth in that right there! 

I'm a fan of Bryson for many reasons. That being said, there are certainly some things he needs to work on. That also being said, I can't stand by and say the bullying he's receiving from Brooks is okay either. It'd be a little different if it was some playful banter between friends but when Brooks goes out of his way to make it known that he and Bryson aren't friends, or anyone else on tour for that matter, it's just bullying and I can't get on board with that.

Sure seems that way, doesn't it.
Personally, I can't stand Bryson DeChambeau.  I think he is a whinny, petulant child with deep seeded insecurities that tend to reveal themselves in certain situations on the golf course.  But Bryson is great for golf!  As is Koepka, even if he is a narcissistic asshat.  

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I'm a fan of Bryson for many reasons. That being said, there are certainly some things he needs to work on. That also being said, I can't stand by and say the bullying he's receiving from Brooks is okay either. It'd be a little different if it was some playful banter between friends but when Brooks goes out of his way to make it known that he and Bryson aren't friends, or anyone else on tour for that matter, it's just bullying and I can't get on board with that.

I wouldn't call that bullying, just telling it like it is.  Id much rather people be honest instead of pretending like we're all friends.  IMO, much of it Bryson brings upon himself.  Any time you go out of your way to try to act like youre smarter than everyone else and make a point of doing it your own way, even if it may not make a lot of sense, people are going to give you a hard time and try to take you down a notch or 2.

That's one of the reasons why Im a big Brooks fan.  He tells it like it, tells you what he thinks and if you don't like it, too bad.  Some don't like that and Brooks doesn't really care.  He isn't a gentleman and isn't pretending to be.  IMO, that's what makes Brooks great for golf because he doesn't fit the stuffy, uptight, proper mold of a traditional golfer.  Brooks is a golfer, an athlete and a character.  He's basically the soul of John Daly in the body of an elite athlete, IMO.

IMO, Bryson's body transformation is just more fuel for Brooks giving him a hard time and Bryson either needs to find a way to blend in or needs to grow some thicker skin.  If Bryson would simply grow up and stop reacting to Brooks, Brooks would stop razzing him. 

I personally very much agree with one of the above posters who said that Bryson comes off as a spoiled, petulant child who is deeply insecure.  I do think that Bryson is good for golf but I absolutely cannot stand him.

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

7 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

I wouldn't call that bullying, just telling it like it is.  Id much rather people be honest instead of pretending like we're all friends.  IMO, much of it Bryson brings upon himself.  Any time you go out of your way to try to act like youre smarter than everyone else and make a point of doing it your own way, even if it may not make a lot of sense, people are going to give you a hard time and try to take you down a notch or 2.

IMO, Bryson's body transformation is just more fuel for Brooks giving him a hard time and Bryson either needs to find a way to blend in or needs to grow some thicker skin.  If Bryson would simply grow up and stop reacting to Brooks, Brooks would stop razzing him. 

I personally very much agree with one of the above posters who said that Bryson comes off as a spoiled, petulant child who is deeply insecure.  I do think that Bryson is good for golf but I absolutely cannot stand him.

Then I would hazard you've never been bullied, cause Brooks unprovoked taking shots at a guy he clearly dislikes, while Bryson doesn't say a word, is textbook bullying. It's totally fine if he's honest about them not being friends, there's just no need for the constant and unprovoked character shots he's taking. Yes, Bryson clearly has some things he needs to work on but how is making fun of him constantly going to do anything? This isn't a grow some thicker skin, all in good fun razzing. Brooks genuinely dislikes him and is taking unnecessary public shots for no reason. It is bullying and I'm not going to be swayed on that. Bryson hasn't reacted to anything Brooks has said about him in months. Last time I can recall them having any form of back and forth was the abs/majors back and forth from January. Beyond that it's just been Brooks being an a-hole and a bully. 

I don't get Brooksie... it doesn't even seem like he wants to be a pro golfer. It's just something he's doing because he can make a lot of money doing it.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/08/12/exclusive-brooks-koepka-comments-on-dj-backfire/

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

He's made it loud and clear that if he could play any other sport, specifically baseball, at the professional level he'd be doing that and not playing golf.

I don't get Brooksie... it doesn't even seem like he wants to be a pro golfer. It's just something he's doing because he can make a lot of money doing it.
https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/08/12/exclusive-brooks-koepka-comments-on-dj-backfire/

23 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Wouldn't it be a great personal conflict to have? 🤣

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Yeah.  I mean, he is obviously good at golf. Historic run at the majors.  But then he will say he doesn’t even really like golf, and finds it boring.  Must be nice to have professional talent and it ‘be your day job’...

I like BK, the little banter between him, Rory and BAD is something other than hearing about how PR cheats, or how Tiger is the 🐐... 

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2020 at 3:21 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

No sorry.  We were one Major short of a slam.  And Two other sports have the Triple Crown😎

But we do have something really cool planned for the US Open and Masters! 

So stay tuned. 

Is there still something planned for the US Open? Wondering if I might have missed it in the forums...thx

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

Is there still something planned for the US Open? Wondering if I might have missed it in the forums...thx

Sorry, it doesn't look like it at this point.  It's been a bit of a challenging year in scheduling, getting OEM commitments and just overall!

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Sorry, it doesn't look like it at this point.  It's been a bit of a challenging year in scheduling, getting OEM commitments and just overall!

Understood, thanks for the update. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H