Green reading books....Who are using these??

Our Sponsors

I am always trying to find a way to improve my putting. I am interested in green reading books from Golflogix and Strackaline. Anyone have any experience with these? Just looking at the product online it seems the Strackaline has more info. The golflogix seem a little simple. 

I am not so interested in the apps. I dont like to carry my phone onto the green when putting. Feels weird. 

Really want it for my trip to Pine Needles and Mid Pines this fall. Those Donald Ross greens are tricky. My home course, Hendersonville CC, is also a DR design but the greens are not as penal as the ones PN and MP.

Thanks everyone

2 hours ago, Fugatec said:

I am always trying to find a way to improve my putting. I am interested in green reading books from Golflogix and Strackaline. Anyone have any experience with these? Just looking at the product online it seems the Strackaline has more info. The golflogix seem a little simple. 

I am not so interested in the apps. I dont like to carry my phone onto the green when putting. Feels weird. 

Really want it for my trip to Pine Needles and Mid Pines this fall. Those Donald Ross greens are tricky. My home course, Hendersonville CC, is also a DR design but the greens are not as penal as the ones PN and MP.

Thanks everyone

I've never used a book like that, but I believe they could be helpful.  But I think there are also some drawbacks.  First, you need to locate the cup and your ball position pretty accurately on the map.  But more important, what do you do with the information you get from the map?  You determine that its a 2% slope, running 30* right to left and away form you.  Where do you aim?  Yeah, somewhere to the right, but how far?  

This type of data and analysis is the basis of the Aimpoint and Aimpoint Express systems, and I recommend you try to find a clinic to learn Aimpoint Express.  You'll learn not only how to collect the required data, using your own sense of balance, but you'll learn how to use that data to determine where to aim.  Clinics aren't inexpensive, but the Straka books are something like $50 apiece.  So for the price of 3 or 4 books, covering 3 or 4 courses, you can learn the skills to read  every single course you will ever play.

And yes, the greens at those two courses can be a bit confusing at times.   

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 5 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 11:50 AM, Fugatec said:

I went there while I was writing my dissertation for https://edubirdie.com/buy-an-essay-online an online student resource. So very peaceful to read and study.
Thanks everyone

I completely agree! me too

Edited by darel aranovski

I am not sure I Putt well enough to need Green Books. I am certain I can’t afford them 😂

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

I'd love to see one just for fun, but it's not worth $40 for me to buy one. And amateurs don't need to play any slower, they'd undoubtedly do so if they relied on green books. Some touring pros take forever reading greens thanks to green books, but at least they have the excuse of playing for their livelihoods...

I suspect my playing partners wouldn't appreciate it either as it could provide an unfair advantage, and again slow play. Pissing off my golf buds isn't worth it.

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black