TESTERS WANTED! ×

Help finding what clubs are a better buy

Hi first post here just after some advice. I’m looking into buying my dad a new set of clubs and have come across two that catch my eye. Little bit about my dad he is a big boy (weight wise) and his 60 years of age with a not so good back if any of that plays any part in your suggestions. Now to the business end the two sets I have a eye out for are the callaway X-series it’s a package set costs $1500 aud or a Taylormade m2 package set which costs $1650 aud both packages come with a bag. Out of those two what would be the better clubs I’d say ideally the more forgiving and longer hitting clubs would suit my dad or if you have any suggestions let me know preferably in that price range or cheaper. Cheers

Any places near you where you can purchase used clubs?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Really an impossible question for us to answer. Which does he hit better or like better? Also based on your description of his physical stature, you may need the clubs adjusted to work well for him.

My suggestion is to talk with him about what he likes and see what he hits better. Golf equipment is generally pretty personal and golfers don’t like other people making equipment choices for them.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

He has gone to a golf shop near me to test the callaways he said they were alright he seem to hit them well when I watched the fitter there told him just a standard club spec will suit him just fine. They had no m2 there so he hasn’t tested them yet. Not many used clubs around the shop didn’t have a great deal so I’ve turned to Facebook market and eBay the Taylormade m2 are off of eBay. I want it to be a bit on the hush side cause it’ll be a gift for him cause with the current pandemic he has lost a bit of money and now can’t afford a set. So if the best thing to do is tell him what I intend to do I will. 

For the record the clubs he uses now are a set of brosnan that are 10-15 years old.

Hi skippy, a couple of questions. Where do you live and what course does he usually play. Also what is his handicap. If he has a back issue then you may also if you can afford it, get an electric buggy if he prefers to walk.

A mate has a back issue and he found graphite shafts suited him better than steel as they transfer less vibration and he found that he could swing easier without sacrificing distance.

The Golf Clearance Centres https://www.golfclearanceoutlet.com.au/golf-clubs/iron-sets.html can have some great deals but because of the pandemic and Vic being in lockdown right now their stock is limited. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Live in Australia, Nsw his not that great of a player more plays cause he enjoys it. That’s why I’m looking for a good set that’s more forgiving for him to improve. We play all sorts of courses more so the flatter ones we get carts at the moment but he is looking into getting a electric buggy himself cause he wants to start walking the course to loose weight. Hmm graphite shafts would be good for him sounds like a good way to go but ain’t they a lot more expensive I don’t mind slowly upgrading his bag if it comes down to it.

ok cheers will have a look

If you want to save some money you can do what I have done in the past. Go on line and look at the equipment hot lists from the past two years. Then look at the top game improvment or super game improvment irons. Now you have a basis of which clubs to go find. Then go to the on line golf stores that sell left over new or grade 9 or better used. Once you find them you can ask which ones he likes and go from there. I typically could get a $800 or $900 set of irons for $250 to $350. Then do the same for woods and hybrids.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

+1 on what cnosil and Tom the Golf Nut have posted. I would steer you more toward the online golf stores, I've bought clubs off eBay and have occasionally gotten clubs that needed repair.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

On 8/4/2020 at 3:14 PM, Firetop93 said:

......So if the best thing to do is tell him what I intend to do I will. 

That is the best thing to do. 

A surprise is fun and all, but if you want him to keep these clubs for another 10 years, he really should pick them out himself. It is too much money to chance that he won't like them or they won't be the right fit and you will put him in a position where we won't be able to say anything if they aren't right.  The last thing you want is to find out in 8 months that he has switched back to his old clubs.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:49 AM, Firetop93 said:

Live in Australia, Nsw his not that great of a player more plays cause he enjoys it. That’s why I’m looking for a good set that’s more forgiving for him to improve. We play all sorts of courses more so the flatter ones we get carts at the moment but he is looking into getting a electric buggy himself cause he wants to start walking the course to loose weight. Hmm graphite shafts would be good for him sounds like a good way to go but ain’t they a lot more expensive I don’t mind slowly upgrading his bag if it comes down to it.

ok cheers will have a look. Based on the information, I would be looking a Game Improvement irons instead of CB's.

Graphite nowadays is not great deal more expensive if any. I suggest that you get a set of Iron and if you want add hybrids and woods to that . For example here are in Syd  M2 with graphite in senior flex

https://www.thegolffactory.com.au/shop/golf-clubs/taylormade-m2-hl-irons-graphite/

This is 5 to PW and usually hybrids are recommended for 3/4  then it 3 wood and Driver.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 3 weeks later...

I would get him a gift card or order from a place that takes returns. 

If you put a gun to my head - the M2 set all the way. 

However, the extensive list of unknown variables makes this a recommendation that could turn out to be a disaster. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg