Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Nervous About Strong Lofted Irons

Obviously the industry trend has been towards strengthening the lofts on irons in recent years... I was wondering if there are other players out there like me that think buying a new set these days might be detrimental to their gapping.

Currently rocking a 10ish year old set with the old standard lofts (24 degree 4 iron to a 46 degree PW) and I find that even with wedge lofts at 46, 52, 56, and 60, I have great gapping at ~135, 120, 105, and 90 yards respectively.

The thought of getting a new set and getting rid of 4 iron and replacing it with a 48ish degree gap wedge makes me nervous that my 15 yard gaps will be gone.

Thoughts?

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

My thoughts - go hit some and decide what works for you. Plenty of different sets out there for you to try.

There's plenty of enough information about why lofts are the way they are with newer materials, construction, weight distribution, etc. There's nothing to be nervous about. Go hit some shiny new sets and have fun.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

6 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

My thoughts - go hit some and decide what works for you. Plenty of different sets out there for you to try.

There's plenty of enough information about why lofts are the way they are with newer materials, construction, weight distribution, etc. There's nothing to be nervous about. Go hit some shiny new sets and have fun.

Yeah and adjustments can always be made too I suppose.  Really it is that I am not just chasing more distance- I am more concerned with maintaining  control and confidence with yardages

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

Yeah and adjustments can always be made too I suppose.  Really it is that I am not just chasing more distance- I am more concerned with maintaining  control and confidence with yardages

Even the clubs you play have reduced lifts from previous generations of clubs.

This is why you do gaping sessions and adjust the clubs to fit the gaping you need. You learn that a particular club goes a specific distance; the number on the bottom really doesn’t matter.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree with the others that you should get fit. However, there are some brands that produce really good gapping, like Ping. And it's trending for companies to also provide a retro loft which might suit your needs.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

AppGator

Driver: Callaway FT-9 Aldila NV 65 (9 degrees, Stiff)

Woods: Titleist 910Fd Fairway (17.5 degrees, Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G Hybrid Alta Shaft (22 degrees, Regular)

Irons: Ping I E1 Regular AWT 2.0 Black Dot, 5 Iron 38.00" 26 degrees, 6 Iron 37.50" 29 degrees, 7 Iron 37.00" 32 degrees, 8 Iron 36.50" 36 degrees, 9 Iron 36.00" 41 degrees, PW     35.50" 45 degrees

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degrees, F, Titleist Vokey SM7 54 degrees, S, Titleist Vokey SM7 58 degrees, D, Cleveland RTX 2.0 54.12 degrees, Cobra Tour Trusty 58.10 degrees

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Blade

Right-handed

Raleigh, NC

15 hcp

It might be informative to read the recent Member Reviews of the Titleist T100S and T200 irons.  Yes, the lofts are stronger than what was "standard".  But at least in my case, where I once carried 4-9+PW, now I carry 5--9+PW(43*)+ W(48*).  The 5 replaced the old 4, the 48* replaced the old PW.  Nothing has really changed except the "label" of the club.  I've chosen to use that set-up, rather than add the new 4-iron and re-work my specialty wedges (currently 52, 56, and 60) to use only 2 clubs.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've looked at the loft on some of the new offerings and wondered about the same thing as the OP.

Then......just remember the new sets of the 5-PW are really the same as the old sets of 4-9 irons....simple.  The number on the club is now immaterial and if we are thinking that I really nuked that 8 irons farther than I have ever hit one before the reality is that you really hit the equivalent of your old 7 iron.  I've played some "weak" lofted irons over the years (Mizuno blades) and have been asked by guys in my group after a shot what club I hit.  I'm sure they are thinking all 8 irons are mostly the same.  I've started answering this question by responding that I hit my 165 club or my 150 club or.....  There may come a time when the clubs only have the loft on them...no numbers???  Naw too much of a marketing ploy.

SIM2 Max Driver 10.5* Ventus 5-S

Cobra Rad Speed 3W 14.5* Evenflow Riptide CB Stiff

Ping G  4W 17.5* Ping Alta Reg

TM Ti  5W 19* Diamana FW 65 Reg

Titleist T-300 5-PW Amt Red Stiff

Vokey SM7 Wedges 46*  56*  60*

Ping Zing/Anser putter  85020/85029// TM Spider SR#9 Flo Neck

Titleist Pro V-1x 

I know that struggled quite a bit with the Tommy Armour Atomics.  I found that I would quite often hit fliers with them.  As for gapping, its probably not that big of a deal, depending upon what the loft of the AW in the set is.

• The Atomics had a 46 degree AW, which is basically like a PW in an older set.  Some other sets have a 50 degree AW, which would pretty much require you to go with a 54 and 58 if you want to maintain appropriate gapping.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X