TESTERS WANTED! ×

Insert a catchy phrase about dropping my high handicap

Back story:

I've never taken lessons in my life. I've honestly never been able to justify the cost. I usually play between 12-24 times a year, and a set of lessons would cover the cost of 10+ of those rounds (depending on course and tee time). So I put together a garage bay practice area and swing away.

A single-digit handicap friend of mine saw a swing I posted on Instagram and began offering videos and drills to try and help my swing.

I never realized just how inside my swing was. You can also see how bad my hip slide and knee bend gets in my back swing.

So I have been taking tips from my friend, recording shots, and sending them back to him.

I need help. 

When I do not slide and over rotate my hips in my back swing, I feel like I lose all power and timing. To complicate the problem, my hands are at or behind the ball at impact. I cannot figure out a drill that works with my brain to get my hands in front of the ball.

Any tips or drills from the MGS brain trust? 

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

Big time knee drop and backward hip slide visible here. (This was from the first clip I sent my "helper")

IMG_5872.PNG

Here you can see my hands are at or behind the ball at impact, and how far forward my hips slide.
IMG_5887.PNG

Here is a shot after a few nights of working on my hands and hips. Lots less hip slide in this pic, but still... the hands at impact.

IMG_5914.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What I would recommend, given you don't want to spend a lot on lessons, is taking an online lesson with a high quality instructor. For example, Monte Scheinblum offers online lessons/swing analysis for $75. Even if you take just 1, you will gain better awareness of the root cause of your swing issues and what to work on. Many downstream swing issues are caused by things earlier on in the swing, or even issues at setup. An online lesson will help you identify the root causes.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I don't know your friend, and don't want to say anything bad about him, but chances are that he doesn't have the skills to properly diagnose your faults.  Chances are that, like most of us, he sees "symptoms" without having the training and experience to discern an underlying cause.  I agree with @dlow206, a good instructor, including some who will do lessons based solely on your videos, will be much more likely to see the root problems, and be able to provide drills to address them. 

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

44 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Thanks Gents. I suppose video lesson research begins now.

One option is at 

https://evolvr.com/

Full disclosure, one of the lead instructors there runs another golf forum website, but I've found him to be really knowledgeable and helpful.  Another poster mentioned Monte Scheinbloom, he's at:

https://rebelliongolf.com/online-lessons/

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

One option is at 

https://evolvr.com/

Full disclosure, one of the lead instructors there runs another golf forum website, but I've found him to be really knowledgeable and helpful.  Another poster mentioned Monte Scheinbloom, he's at:

https://rebelliongolf.com/online-lessons/

In addition to these, take a look at Jake Hutt

https://www.jakehuttgolf.com/

I like his no-BS approach similar to Monte.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

9 hours ago, dlow206 said:

What I would recommend, given you don't want to spend a lot on lessons, is taking an online lesson with a high quality instructor. For example, Monte Scheinblum offers online lessons/swing analysis for $75. Even if you take just 1, you will gain better awareness of the root cause of your swing issues and what to work on. Many downstream swing issues are caused by things earlier on in the swing, or even issues at setup. An online lesson will help you identify the root causes.

Monte is still running a special... introductory first-time online lesson for only $50 using the coupon code INSTA25.

He will tell you that problems at impact are a result of underlying issues at setup, in the backswing, and start of the downswing (transition).  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Lessons are the way to go, so I'm glad you're looking into them.  But if you want to attempt a DIY approach, I would check out Adam Young's work (adamyounggolf.com).  I subscribe to NLG, more because I want to get better at teaching kids how to swing a golf club (I'm a volunteer at the First Tee in my spare time).  I use some of his drills and ideas in concert with what my teacher works on with me and with my daughter.

Some people don't like his approach, but I've had good results with using some of his work with the kids we teach.  I like the idea of focusing on a skill (e.g. hit the outside of the ball if your path is too far inside) instead of technique.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I found an instructor through a group of Veterans I keep in touch with.

Just as @DaveP043 suggested, he said my hands casting in my down swing is due to issues with my fundamentals. 

Within the first 5 minutes of our video chat, he had two drills for me to work on.

Thanks guys! 

• 2 weeks later...

if you dream it, you can do it????  Is that a good catchy phrase to drop your handicap.  

Sarcasm of course.  The above tips and drills are excellent things to concentrate on.  I have realized in my own game that Golf is a marathon not a sprint.  We all strive for perfection, only to be disappointed.  Just remember to have fun.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

Video of my driver swing from my Bridgestone vFit submission:

https://imgur.com/nKVkiFd

Hip slide still present, but the club isnt beating my hands to impact. 

Between an inefficient swing, grandpa like swing speed, and an old driver, I am better off just using a 3 wood off the tee.