TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges

StrokerAce

40 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I think it’s interesting because could a “spin club” be your specialty club? I had a Mizuno with a spinner shaft and I was getting 5 digit spin ratings (that’s not a typo) not that anyone needs that kind of spin but nonetheless a little extra zip never hurt and for those that need the control this could be a really good club

I often get lost in the technology "speak" of lofts and spin rates. @Lacassem, your post made me curious what exactly makes a spinner shaft a spinner. The Cleveland site says it's specifically designed for wedge play but doesn't explain what those specifics are. For those of you, like me, who had no idea what the difference is and what it means, I finally found that info on an old 2015 Golf Monthly website: "a small section of the shaft with a thinner diameter is positioned near the grip of the club. And combined with a longer tip section creates extra through impact, increasing spin by up to 500rpm."

The more I'm around MyGolfSpy the more cool stuff I learn. I started out thinking that if this steel shaft doesn't seem to like me, then I can switch it out for a graphite shaft. Now I'm hoping it will like me so much that I'll want to instead switch out my other wedge shafts to these spinners. My brain is already spinning and my new wedge is not even here yet.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

10 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

I often get lost in the technology "speak" of lofts and spin rates. @Lacassem, your post made me curious what exactly makes a spinner shaft a spinner. The Cleveland site says it's specifically designed for wedge play but doesn't explain what those specifics are. For those of you, like me, who had no idea what the difference is and what it means, I finally found that info on an old 2015 Golf Monthly website: "a small section of the shaft with a thinner diameter is positioned near the grip of the club. And combined with a longer tip section creates extra through impact, increasing spin by up to 500rpm."

The more I'm around MyGolfSpy the more cool stuff I learn. I started out thinking that if this steel shaft doesn't seem to like me, then I can switch it out for a graphite shaft. Now I'm hoping it will like me so much that I'll want to instead switch out my other wedge shafts to these spinners. My brain is already spinning and my new wedge is not even here yet.

So I had just bought that club because I needed a sand wedge I had no clue (still don’t really) about what goes into a lot of the technology like shafts, weight placement etc. all I know is when I was fitted I was getting over 15,000 spin rate with that club Granted has to do with my swing and so many other things but still the shaft had some part with that. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

It's been kinda of a crappy day, but my RTX Zipcore got delivered so my day is looking up

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Good stuff guys.  I'm leaning toward getting me a set of these wedges.  I may wait a bit tho..

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

Good day,

I got my ZipCore Wedge today!!!  It’s a 58* Mid Grind with 10* Bounce.  I’m very excited to test this out.   I use my current 58* for sand shots, for chips from anywhere outside the fringe all the way up to full shots at 75 yards and mid shots inside 75.  Depending on how initial testing goes with the 58* I’m tempted to pre-order a 54* Mid Grind and a 50* Full Grind to fill out the bag.  I’m open to what the blog suggested by getting my Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Gap Wedge at 50* to be swapped out.  But, alas, I’m getting ahead of myself.  As usual.

I plan on practicing with it today before putting in full play this weekend.  I will be practicing with a variety of balls such as the Srixon Z-Star, Taylormade Tp5, and even the Callaway ERC Soft to determine feel and to check spin characteristics.  For the past two years I’ve been gaming Srixon Z-Star or Z-Star XV. I’ve tried Callaway Chrome Soft and Tp5x. 

Despite playing Cleveland Wedges for 18 of the last 20 years and even their old TA3 irons way back when, I’ve been gaming Callaway Mac Daddy 4 Chrome finished wedges for the last two years. They are both “S” grind and I have 54* and 58*. One drawback is the chrome finish which has too much glare.  I don’t love the Callaway for several reasons.  The raised grooves on the Mac Daddy caused the sound and feel to be very “clicky.”  I prefer a muted and softer sound and feel.  However, as I’ve used them those inverted grooves or protrusions have worn down and it isn’t so loud a click anymore and the feel has softened.

So, I’m super excited to get a Cleveland back in my hands.  I plan on using practice sessions, full 18 hole rounds, some 9 hole Par 3 rounds, and even some launch monitor testing to get concrete numbers.  Now, are their marketing claims true?  Will I get the spin I need or will it be too much?.  Will I get the consistency they claim?  Will the feel and look inspire confidence? Let’s find out!  A big thanks to MyGolfSpy for putting this together and for having me aboard. 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

1 hour ago, BrownBearGolf said:

Good day,

I got my ZipCore Wedge today!!!  It’s a 58* Mid Grind with 10* Bounce.  I’m very excited to test this out.   I use my current 58* for sand shots, for chips from anywhere outside the fringe all the way up to full shots at 75 yards and mid shots inside 75.  Depending on how initial testing goes with the 58* I’m tempted to pre-order a 54* Mid Grind and a 50* Full Grind to fill out the bag.  I’m open to what the blog suggested by getting my Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Gap Wedge at 50* to be swapped out.  But, alas, I’m getting ahead of myself.  As usual.

I plan on practicing with it today before putting in full play this weekend.  I will be practicing with a variety of balls such as the Srixon Z-Star, Taylormade Tp5, and even the Callaway ERC Soft to determine feel and to check spin characteristics.  For the past two years I’ve been gaming Srixon Z-Star or Z-Star XV. I’ve tried Callaway Chrome Soft and Tp5x. 

Despite playing Cleveland Wedges for 18 of the last 20 years and even their old TA3 irons way back when, I’ve been gaming Callaway Mac Daddy 4 Chrome finished wedges for the last two years. They are both “S” grind and I have 54* and 58*. One drawback is the chrome finish which has too much glare.  I don’t love the Callaway for several reasons.  The raised grooves on the Mac Daddy caused the sound and feel to be very “clicky.”  I prefer a muted and softer sound and feel.  However, as I’ve used them those inverted grooves or protrusions have worn down and it isn’t so loud a click anymore and the feel has softened.

So, I’m super excited to get a Cleveland back in my hands.  I plan on using practice sessions, full 18 hole rounds, some 9 hole Par 3 rounds, and even some launch monitor testing to get concrete numbers.  Now, are their marketing claims true?  Will I get the spin I need or will it be too much?.  Will I get the consistency they claim?  Will the feel and look inspire confidence? Let’s find out!  A big thanks to MyGolfSpy for putting this together and for having me aboard. 

I love how Cleveland for all these years still keep the general look of their irons the same. They always make wedges that flat out perform

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

51 minutes ago, TBT said:

Well my Thursday got better really quick, there was an early morning ring of the door bell and I find this sitting on the porch!

IMG_1100.JPG

I will be testing a 50* RTX ZipCore wedge with mid bounce. It will be compared to my current gamer, a Cobra King PuR wedge.

Here are some comparison photos I took this morning
IMG_1104.JPG
From the back they look similar in shape
IMG_1103.JPG
Face view, the shape is similar but the ZipCore has 18 grooves compared to only 17 on the Cobra and the ZipCore has the toe groves where the Cobra doesn’t.

It will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable improvement in toe strikes (not that I EVER do that emoji849.png)

IMG_1105.JPG
At address the ZipCore has a little less offset but again to my eye the shape looks very similar.

IMG_1106.JPG
The ZipCore is fitted with new version of the DG spinner wedge shaft. I’ve played the old version of this shaft in my higher lofted wedges before with decent success, but since I use my 50* wedge for a lot of full swing shots my Cobra has the same shaft as my iron set, a UST Mayima Recoil F4.

I’ll be paying particular attention to this during my testing to see the difference between the 2 shafts.

I am hoping to get a practice session on a launch monitor this weekend and a full round in on Sunday.

As always feel free to ask questions!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Very nice write up.. This will be fun. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Dang those look pretty. If y'all keep zipping those back, I might need to unzip the wallet!

200.gif

WITB:

Callaway Rogue ST - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Cleveland RTX4 58

#ROCKCHALK

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

A white truck will be delivering... wait, maybe a yellow truck, FedEx leases some Penske trucks here... anyways, the 46° ZipCore that I have decided to call Dr. Evil will be here today.  Hopefully they have the Delorean today so I can get out on the practice area with it.

tenor(10).gif.41958f065d141ac6c001f6acf07d40b2.gif

I hit a few shots in the short game area today

The range was closed because there was nobody to pick up the balls

Hit several 30 -40 yard low checking pitch shots to a back pin placement using Srixon Z Star.

It definitely has a different sound than the Cobra I’ve been playing, I’ll try to get some audio later.

I hit 10 shots with the Cobra and gathered up the balls and hit 10 with the ZipCore. The ZipCore definitely produces more spin as the ball was checking on the second bounce then rolling out a few feet.

When I hit that shot with the Cobra I would get 2 full bounces, sometimes 3 before it really checks.

Once I made the adjustment to carry the ball a few yards further I was hitting them inside 5 feet about 85% of the time and I holed out once!

I’m hoping to get on a launch monitor this weekend and get on the course on Sunday.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

20200807_172721.jpeg.b34b5fc1fbdfde4ed46f2e634242092d.jpeg In the words of jittery Jerge, "Letttsss ggoooo"! My plan is to take it straight to the course this week and I am going to drop an extra ball everytime I need to hit my 54. My current 54 is a brand new Honma TW-W World, which has maybe 200 shots on it mostly off of a mat so very fresh grooves. Itll be a pretty straight up comparison. Anything in particular the good folks out there want to see during this testing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Nice job guys!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I’m taking my RTX ZipCore 60 Full out for a spin today in my men’s club event. I’ll be using it at the ranges I typically do, and will definitely report back on the, ahem, zippiness . More pics coming, but here are a couple of the ZipCore 60 and RTX 60.
190DD5E8-3B03-436B-9BF5-B25E5677BB7D.jpeg.8a8a6df21ac8b5d7ac604c4899a91b12.jpeg
F3378BC9-AAAD-4890-B6C9-8F6A89EC08B7.jpeg.18394cb1f65862ed624bfd20f5d7f57b.jpeg

How’d it handle?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Interesting initial practice session with the 46°.  It was rather windy, around 10-12mph, so what a time to try the knock down.  Oh my gosh can this thing lower the ball flight on command.  75 yard shot that looked like a 2 iron trajectory but stopped on a dime. The was with a left to right wind.

Moved over to the longer approach shot, took it all the way back to 150, and full sent some of them, directly into that wind.  I came up 10 yards short of the 150, but into the wind it didn’t get too hung up. There was a little climb, but overall the ball stayed on a pretty mid trajectory. But a 140 yard into the wind PW?  In my dreams. 

Tried some 50 and in shots and my last name showed up.  Glad to get that out of the way early.  That  has been the biggest struggle since switching the to “single-ish” plane swing, the finesse shots are much more difficult. 

First big issue is the sound of the shaft, as I reported in other wedge reviews, this spinner shaft is supposedly close to the S400 I had in the Hi-Toe, and a little heavier than the S200’s I had in the King wedges. The feel/sound is not good.  The wedge head itself sounds and feels great, but the shaft makes a hollow sound... don’t like that one bit.

Image1596924500.568656.thumb.jpg.cf6bfd923ce3faabf7a00cc003e71101.jpg

Par 4 #7 at Pebble Creek today from 70 yards out after I put the 58* Zipcore into play. First swing of the Zipcore....

Image1596924620.649203.thumb.jpg.2acdceacb55c80908bd36550ef635c5c.jpg

Up close at the 70 yard shot from the Zipcore......and yes, I made the birdie!

Wow was this a great feeling wedge! Was gaming a Q Star with the Tampa Bay Lightning logo.....Go Bolts!

Tour Edge Exotics EXS(11.5*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cobra King F8 LW(58*) w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I looks like the V sole grind is less prominent in the new zipcore vs the RTX 4's that I have from testing last year.  Are you guys seeing the same thing and do you think it's a help or hurt in terms of turf interaction? 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

23 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

I looks like the V sole grind is less prominent in the new zipcore vs the RTX 4's that I have from testing last year.  Are you guys seeing the same thing and do you think it's a help or hurt in terms of turf interaction? 

I hadn’t really paid attention to it actually.  But thinking back, it did feel different than the other clubs do through the turf.  I was taking a bigger divot than normal with a PW.  Not sure where the V-Sole fits into that equation.  

20200807_211645.jpeg it's funny you ask about the grind because that is a big thing I noticed when I first got the club. How it almost seems to have 2 angles on the bottom, in the picture it shows more via the light glare but it is very pronounced. Really hope it doesnt lead to larger divots like@shankster said because if so the greens keepers are going to hate me I already take big divots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app