TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges

StrokerAce

I agree. It’s purely for cosmetic purposes. The milling underneath the laser etchings is finer and at a different angle.  While they may not be functional in terms of imparting spin they are effective at reducing glare. My Callaway MD4 are relatively polished and reflect massive amounts of sun and it’s glare can be prohibitive to me taking the face angle I want. 
That's a great observation! I've often had the glare issue with my wedges.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

7 hours ago, Shankster said:

Groovy

Grooves on a wedge.  It seems to be the talk of the town since I can remember.  More with sharper edges, less with more face roughness, grooves in grooves, different grooves for different lofts… why so many different kinds of grooves? 

Cleveland claims that the UtiliZip Groove doesn’t only add spin, but consistency too. There is only one way I know how to test that. This weekend I am going to try to sneak out to the practice area and post up with 36 golf balls and hit from 130 yards out of the rough, and repeat until I have around 100 shots.  Then move to the fairway cut and do the same. This will do two things, first get a good idea of the consistency claims (I’ll not count my missed shots), and get a durability test in.

Rain-X?

Something I noticed from last night’s golf club cleaning session; this wedge seems to have some water repellent qualities to the finish.  Not quite as rain-x(y) as the BP’s, but it didn’t stick around much.  I could not find anything written about this on the website.  5A2F0116-FF41-44AF-BC3A-3A6553694727.jpeg.d9ae8958cb4925c71c84698ce8b22126.jpeg

It could be residual oils or chemicals from the factory.  Interesting point to consider and look for moving forward.  I think Ping uses a hydrophobic coating on their Glide wedges. 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

6 hours ago, BrownBearGolf said:

It could be residual oils or chemicals from the factory.  Interesting point to consider and look for moving forward.  I think Ping uses a hydrophobic coating on their Glide wedges. 

They do, Hydropearl.  I scrubbed the RTX with a nylon brush and a degreasing soap to see if it was packaging or shipping oil.  Unfortunately, the weather is not cooperating, and I might not be able to do much with the club this weekend.

Cleveland ZipCore 58* vs.
Callaway Mac Daddy 58*
Launch Monitor Green was at 75 yards out. I missed the green once with full shots due to a thin shot with each of the wedges. All others hit the green amongst roughly 20 shots each wedge. 

Ok, to answer one question posted…my peak height with the ZipCore wedge was 20 yards, aka 60 feet.  Interestingly, it was 19 yards aka 57 feet with the Callaway MD4.  Something to think about in contrast is that with one short practice session I noticed chips greenside were very low no matter where I put the ball in my stance. 
Before I get into the numbers comparison I want to mention that this is only the second time I’ve swung the ZipCore.  It is only the first time I swung full speed.  Having the full swings I was able to feel something I felt in a minimal sense while chipping.  Yet this session confirmed the thoughts I had from the greenside chips. There is something with the shaft that I don’t feel comfortable with.  It feels a little “whippy”.  It reminds me of the feeling of when I hit a driver with a regular shaft.  It has a whip then a soft kick or rebound when I strike the ball.  It did not feel like this everytime, however, out of the 20 or so hits I felt it about four times.  It just felt a little soft.  I do not know much about this shaft or shaft Dynamics from a technical standpoint.  I just know how it feels in when I swing.  I’ll do some research on this shaft and wedge shafts in general.  The shaft in my MD4 is a True Temper S200 Dynamic Gold.  In the end, the “spinner” shaft just feels a little off.   I may be compelled to change the shaft though I don’t want to as I just put a brand new Winn Grip Mid-Size Dri-Tac Wrap on it.
Average Metrics on the ZipCore:
Ball Speed: 69.3                      Carry: 78yds
Launch Angle:33.4                  DescentAngle:49.3
Total spin: 10,985    72748165-756D-4D83-A475-89FE9F36351C.png.b32956b75f902b5b2fded2b28b920d0e.png0C773C68-C982-448E-9AAC-9B10692534E7.png.fbc6b23c3f8f8732b56330d2265b069d.png  3B45C37A-9908-4537-8385-0B5AB350AFFE.jpeg.a923c7c40f23cc75b96c6c4bdb192b55.jpeg
Average Metrics on the MD4:
Ball Speed: 69.3                      Carry: 78yds
Launch Angle: 32.7                 Descent Angle: 49
Total Spin: 11,369
1E41D59C-22AC-4413-9452-35916B57529C.jpeg.a088a0d477c9c3b95eeb94758e8aa3fe.jpeg4AEB3710-BDCF-4B03-A144-FFE6A6BC1678.jpeg.5b0597eeb3ec91f641603c075d9bbddb.jpeg    5415C561-48B5-4CE1-9387-193E15D2DC7D.png.9c60c16e2e30266e250a8b6b69a1f45f.png
As you can see, the metrics are pretty damn close.  So much so that I would argue they are negligible.  Even my Distance to the Pin averages are very close.  The overall distances were more consistent with the MD4 but that could have been more the swing than the club.
Now, more subjective thoughts are I like the softer sound and feel of the ZipCore compared to the MD4.  It did feel as if occasionally the ball went up the face a few more times with the ZipCore but that could be my swing.
As mentioned before in a previous post, the soft feeling of the ZipCore leads to less feedback.  After hitting full shots today I feel it’s the shaft that is taking away some of the feedback.  I do think the head of this club feels softer than the head of the MD4. 
Again, I’ve only chipped in practice once.  I’ve only done full swings in practice once.  So, the journey continues.  I’m on the fence, as I think I should be so early in the testing. 

Now that I have the new grip installed I suspect the results will change. The tour velvet slip in my hands and the Winn do not  so i can be a bit more aggressive  
ONE INTERESTING NOTE: The spin rates are very similar.  However, the Callaway MD4 is over two years old and I play and practice a lot.  So the worn grooves of my wedge vs. the brand new "Zippitty Do Da, Zippity yay" zip wedges are too close to call.  How can that be?  Thoughts?  Opinions?  Please share!
DDE51E29-7024-43C8-BA05-5B40374CD116.png.345d656137dff5030757442f907137ff.png

•  

My first thought is “nice job!”

Second thought is that I believe shafts matter in regards to all clubs as to grips and lie angle. Your narrative helps to confirm that thought. It doesn’t mean this same set up wouldn’t work for another player. For example the Tour velvet is one of my preferred grips and Winn grips tend to feel grainy to me. So one man’s meat.

My third thought is that although the data normally contradicts me and also your results here, I haven’t found the huge groove regression in regards to spin rate on full shots either. I used a Ping Eye 2 PW for over 20 years keeping it as my GW even when I games newer models with stronger lofts.

I do however now own one of those groove sharpeners :)

Thanks for this post

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Played my first 18 holes in 3 weeks this morning. Used this club 9-10 times. I'm mostly using it in the 15-75 yard range. I hit a couple of full shots, but I'm leaving them right and shorter than my Scor wedge. I probably need to bend it to the 2* up that my clubs are at so I'll get on that this week.

I am having some success in the flop type shots. Hit 3 good ones which seemed easy to hit and stopped quicker than I expected. I don't know if it is the bounce or the larger head than I'm used to, but I don't mind easier flops around the green.

I will say the feel is much more muted and meh than what I'm used to with my Scor wedges. I'm a feel player and whether it's around the green, or longer shots, I'm definitely lacking the feel that I love.

Tomorrow is a 9 hole league round.

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Great stuff everyone! Nothing new to report here at the moment, but based on the compare and contrast I've done with the ZipCore and RTX 4, the two things that are standing out to me are the look at address (ZipCore appears slightly bulkier) and the differences in bounce (ZipCore - 12, RTX 4, 9). And despite the fact both wedges are the exact same weight, the RTX 4 feels more solid to me. I'll be doing more testing this week on the range and on course this weekend so I'll have more anecdotal data to share with you all soon! 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Sweet!
image.png

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Great stuff everyone! Nothing new to report here at the moment, but based on the compare and contrast I've done with the ZipCore and RTX 4, the two things that are standing out to me are the look at address (ZipCore appears slightly bulkier) and the differences in bounce (ZipCore - 12, RTX 4, 9). And despite the fact both wedges are the exact same weight, the RTX 4 feels more solid to me. I'll be doing more testing this week on the range and on course this weekend so I'll have more anecdotal data to share with you all soon! 
Definitely seems slightly bulkier that is something I noticed today. Spent some more time hitting shots today and have found that I can control distances nicely with it. However am struggling with trajectory, less then full shots are low and full shots are very high. Also am not really seeing the "zip". They arent rolling out worse then a few old wedges I brought out to compare but for a wedge that I thought was going to check up hasn't done much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

9 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

I agree with the weight...first few swings compared to my Callaway felt lighter or less mass.  I wonder if the core material makes it feel that way.  Taking away metal from the hosel, heel, and sole no matter where they repositioned the metal mass has to have some effect on feel. 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

Played my league match today. I have to say, this thing has been REALLY good on partial shots for me! Today I had 4 shots of between 40 and 80 yards and I hit nice high, straight shots.... All within 10 ft of the pin. The club definitely feels bulky... But it it's really performing in those distance ranges for me.

Although the full shots are not as great for me. Had two with it today and the ball is coming up close to 10 yards shorter than my Scor 58*. Height seems about the same though. I'll have a couple more rounds this week to give it more time.

3 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

I'm not accomplished enough as a player to hit all or even most shots consistently to be able to answer this but I wanted to know also. In the past most of my shots to the green had quite a bit of roll which frustrated me because I never could judge how much roll. I've only been able to play with my ZipCore twice and so far it seems like my strikes with it are stopping better on the green -  I decided to try a small sampling test.

I went out on my course (hole #3) in the evening so I wouldn't interfere with other golfers. I dropped 6 balls 60 yards out (60-70 yards is a full PW distance for me). Below is what happened.

For the two off the green: one was barely off the back edge of the green and the other was 3 feet over. Those were user swing errors instead of Zippy errors.

Loving the videos! It's looking like they're stopping really good for you, keep it up!

As long as Tesla keeps the lighting in a bottle tomorrow, I will be playing 18.  Looking at my Arccos stats, I use my PW third most, behind the 2 Hybrid and the Putter... so in theory this thing should see a full days work tomorrow.  Depending on the hole location on a par 3 it will be used.... and I might even try to stretch it to another one of it is a front flag... just to see if it is stretchable. I haven’t forgotten about the mid-week write up, just going to combine my range work write up and the post round breakdown.  I won’t be doing any video because I am playing with some fellas from work, and we will be playing fast. Video will come when I can get out solo.

Stay Tuned.

B4B74481-F928-4966-AC5E-8E682760EAA6.jpeg

All of my stock shots with the Zip seem to go the same distance as my Honma. The feel is better on full shots with the Zip for sure. Seems to be very forgiving with any poor shots being user error. Going out to play 18 tomorrow, anytime I'm in my 54 stock distances the plan is to drop 2 new ProV1Xs and see the comparison.

5 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

All of my stock shots with the Zip seem to go the same distance as my Honma. The feel is better on full shots with the Zip for sure. Seems to be very forgiving with any poor shots being user error. Going out to play 18 tomorrow, anytime I'm in my 54 stock distances the plan is to drop 2 new ProV1Xs and see the comparison.

Loving the forgiveness and the CG being more towards the middle of the face than the heel!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Real Quick Update...

Pressed for time, with two major assignments due this week... I am going to push the round recap and range work off till Saturday. But to tide you over till then, a very small snippet of today’s round.  I had forgotten to change the sensors out, so to save time I just put the PW sensor in the RTX Zipcore today... don’t mind that pesky +6 up in the corner, 3 doubles gets you every time.... greens were sloooow, worst putting day I’ve had in a long time.

This wedge holds its own!

C04D6BDE-F5AC-4970-BD53-914A6D41CA7D.jpeg

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Real Quick Update...

Pressed for time, with two major assignments due this week... I am going to push the round recap and range work off till Saturday. But to tide you over till then, a very small snippet of today’s round.  I had forgotten to change the sensors out, so to save time I just put the PW sensor in the RTX Zipcore today... don’t mind that pesky +6 up in the corner, 3 doubles gets you every time.... greens were sloooow, worst putting day I’ve had in a long time.

This wedge holds its own!

C04D6BDE-F5AC-4970-BD53-914A6D41CA7D.jpeg

That little guy I wouldn't worry about that little guy 

Finally got my wedge lie angle adjusted today. Let's hope that's why I was leaving full shots out to the right. At least 27 holes coming up this weekend, but I'm going to try and do some chipping and short game work tomorrow afternoon. Haven't had enough time with this and chips...

Alright so I am kinda at a loss after today's round. Both the Zip and my Honma were like neck and neck in terms of performance on 3/4 and full shots. Literally landed and sat right next to each other on all 4 shots I used them. The only difference comes on the chips. I had 2 different holes I used the 54s to chip on. Both occassions the balls ended almost identical length from the hole. Except the Honma was short and the Zip was long. It was crazy to watch and I actually laughed the second time it happened. For me personally my preference would be the Zip ending long just because you at least give yourself an opportunity to hole out. More testing to come but definitely puzzled by today's results.

Alright so I am kinda at a loss after today's round. Both the Zip and my Honma were like neck and neck in terms of performance on 3/4 and full shots. Literally landed and sat right next to each other on all 4 shots I used them. The only difference comes on the chips. I had 2 different holes I used the 54s to chip on. Both occassions the balls ended almost identical length from the hole. Except the Honma was short and the Zip was long. It was crazy to watch and I actually laughed the second time it happened. For me personally my preference would be the Zip ending long just because you at least give yourself an opportunity to hole out. More testing to come but definitely puzzled by today's results.

That's interesting. I'm finding the Zip to be landing shorter for me on chips and full swings. But the short game is so finicky since everyone plays it so different!

Played yesterday and overall did not play my best (trouble with fairway shots) . . . but the shots I hit with my ZipCore were really nice. Since the ball stops immediately on the green I need to practice at judging the distance better. That's preferable to rolling too far.

I'd like feedback about this: I not sure what to do about the varying weights of my wedges. Does it even matter as long as I can hit them or will it help me if the weights are more consistent. I have been reading about how some players like their wedges to be heavier and why. The ZipCore is my heaviest wedge and only one with a steel shaft. I'll start by listing my 9 iron so you can see the jump from it to the ZipCore. As long as I make sure to get under the ball (like I'm suppose to) I can hit and like each one. I have a tendency to hit all of my clubs low and a little toward the toe. It helps me to change the lie but I haven't done that yet with any of my wedges.

9 iron: 401 grams

46° ZipCore: 458 grams

52° RTX-3: 422 grams

56° RTX-3: 428 grams

60° Tour Action 900: 447 grams (oddly this one feels the heaviest)

46ZipCore.jpg.538532160b44e3d8d231ccc44d58666f.jpg52RTX-3.jpg.1fdbfefdbc0fa98dbcb3f2d9519557cc.jpg56RTX-3.jpg.d77a3e33d1ab015282d23200eb6d8567.jpg60TourAction900.jpg.cd21127e995acbaeac09b0c4811159cf.jpg

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

We got 5” of rain this week do the course was extremely wet and was expecting more due to Hurricanes in the Gulf. As such, I took the weekend off with my D7’s and the Zipcore, choosing to put an older set of Powerbilt’s into okay as the soles are wider. Broke 2 shafts, shot42/47/89, so played all Cobra F8’s today, shooting 42/43:85.

Back to testing the Zipcore on Tuesday....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Had an 18 hole round for my league today. I continue to find The 58* zipcore good from about 85 yards to about 20 yards. It's easy to get the ball in the air and put it where I want.

Chipping around the green with it has been a challenge. Usually chipping and putting are the strengths of my game, but with this I haven't had great consistency. I've said this before... But i don't know if it's the size of the head out the fact the bounce is far more than I've had on any other wedges. Once a store gets them in stock, I'm going to check out a 58* with low bounce to see how I like it.

The feel of this wedge is still muted... Which is fine. But I don't know at contact where the ball is going and if it were a good or bad strike.... Unless it's a chip. Those I seen to really have immediate feedback on... Especially if I catch even a tiny piece of grass in between the ball and clubface.

A nine hole league round tomorrow...

Had an 18 hole round for my league today. I continue to find The 58* zipcore good from about 85 yards to about 20 yards. It's easy to get the ball in the air and put it where I want.

Chipping around the green with it has been a challenge. Usually chipping and putting are the strengths of my game, but with this I haven't had great consistency. I've said this before... But i don't know if it's the size of the head out the fact the bounce is far more than I've had on any other wedges. Once a store gets them in stock, I'm going to check out a 58* with low bounce to see how I like it.

The feel of this wedge is still muted... Which is fine. But I don't know at contact where the ball is going and if it were a good or bad strike.... Unless it's a chip. Those I seen to really have immediate feedback on... Especially if I catch even a tiny piece of grass in between the ball and clubface.

I agree with the muted feeling on chips. The only shot I can feel the difference on is when I hit it more out of the heel. A little thin or a little fat or pured all feel very similar out of the middle of the club. Still having issues controlling the trajectory, though I've noticed now that the distance dispersion is not really affected when I hit it lower or higher then I want.

20 hours ago, dhartmann34 said:

I’m writing up a mid evaluation soon but I have had two full launch monitor sessions and compared it to my gamer the Callaway Mac daddy and the new Vokey SM8. I’ve played three rounds with it also. I agree wholly with your comment or muted feel as I’ve posted in my initial report.  MUTED. 

On 8/20/2020 at 6:04 PM, tchat07 said:

I hear you in the longer chip which seemingly indicates the face isn’t grabbing the ball properly. Or maybe there isn’t as much spin as Cleveland wants or claims.