TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges

StrokerAce

On 8/17/2020 at 6:13 PM, tchat07 said:

Definitely seems slightly bulkier that is something I noticed today. Spent some more time hitting shots today and have found that I can control distances nicely with it. However am struggling with trajectory, less then full shots are low and full shots are very high. Also am not really seeing the "zip". They arent rolling out worse then a few old wedges I brought out to compare but for a wedge that I thought was going to check up hasn't done much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You and I might be writing the same reviews.  My chips are also very low as mentioned in a previous post. Also, according to GC2 launch monitor on two separate sessions my MD4 produces more spin. 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

Good to hear thoughts from the higher lofted testers.  Being that I am testing the 46° it is mostly a full swing club I don’t get to do much delicate work with it. 

Finishing up the round recap and the range work stuff.  It has been a week.  Anyone in need of a boat?  Constantly broken, but at least it keeps me employed.

Three full swing shots on the range before my round yesterday... I think they finally hit the right spot (pic below)!

I've said it before, but the 58* has been money for me out of the rough and for 3/4 and pitch shots 85 yards and under. Put a couple 70-80 yards within 4 feet yesterday.

Still not comfortable with using this from the fairway or fringe on shots under 25 yards... But out of the rough at those distances it's golden. It's gotta be something with the bounce. Or I just need a heck of a lot more time chipping with it. Just do not have the same confidence I do with the Scor wedges.... At least not yet. Is it the size? The fact the feel is so muted? My feeble brain? TBD....

20200824_155331.jpg.e773e7585c00702410e2e0c42b7d3c66.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Got in some range work over the weekend.. Actually 2 range sessions. I am not noticing, any huge distance gains, maybe 2-3 yards, but what I am noticing, is much higher ball flight on the same shots.. As best as I can tell from the naked eye it's 10-15 ft higher on well struck shots, with slightly longer distances.. The other major notice for me is that I think do to the extra weight I feel late as I come through the ball. Not like I am stuck but just slightly behind, kinda out of timing.. I should be getting in some on course work this weekend, and hopefully get a better feel for the club and its position... 

Edited by Reesedw

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

On 8/23/2020 at 8:15 PM, dhartmann34 said:

Had an 18 hole round for my league today. I continue to find The 58* zipcore good from about 85 yards to about 20 yards. It's easy to get the ball in the air and put it where I want.

Chipping around the green with it has been a challenge. Usually chipping and putting are the strengths of my game, but with this I haven't had great consistency. I've said this before... But i don't know if it's the size of the head out the fact the bounce is far more than I've had on any other wedges. Once a store gets them in stock, I'm going to check out a 58* with low bounce to see how I like it.

The feel of this wedge is still muted... Which is fine. But I don't know at contact where the ball is going and if it were a good or bad strike.... Unless it's a chip. Those I seen to really have immediate feedback on... Especially if I catch even a tiny piece of grass in between the ball and clubface.

A nine hole league round tomorrow...

Maybe the muted sound has something to do with them moving around mass in the club head? Just a random thought, but certainly a possibility. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Maybe the muted sound has something to do with them moving around mass in the club head? Just a random thought, but certainly a possibility. 
Muted feel.... And yeah, certainly could be the design that makes it different. Just a different type of wedge than I'm used to I'm sure. Used to the blade like wedges. As a feel player, I love the feedback I'm used to getting with a good or poor shot.

It's an interesting question though.... If you have a club that performs well for you, but the feel and lower level of confidence is there.... Do you still play it because of the results?

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Played a full round on Sunday and had several shots with the RTX ZipCore Wedge. I hit 2 full swing shots, 3 -3/4 knock down shots and I “attempted” if you want to call it that 1 43 yard low checking shot.

1 thing I am noticing is I seem to be hitting just about every shot high on the face and out on the toe.
IMG_1164.jpg

*** Keep in mind that the wedges that Cleveland sent us are standard length and lie ***

I play my current gamer at +3/4” and 2 degrees up, so I’m pretty sure that’s accounting for the mishits.

Even though I am hitting the ball out on the toe, I’m still seeing consistent distance and good spin from the ZipCore.

Both full swing shots hit the green and left me 12 feet or less for my birdie.

2 out of the 3 knockdowns were dead online and inside of 6 feet, the other I pulled of the green.

The attempted low checking shot was bladed and flew the green...no fault of the arrow,,definitely the Indian on that one.

I planned on getting the club to my fitter to change the shaft this weekend but Hurricane Laura might have other plans.

Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

So I decided last night to start chipping with my 58* on my birdieball green. I think the tight lie will help me with the far less successful chipping than I'm used to. Gotta get used to the bigger, more rounded head... With a little more bounce.

I definitely was hitting a few thin as my miss. Not sure if that's the bounce kicking it back up off the floor or what.

We'll give it more tries this afternoon.

On another note, the club face definitely sits more square for me. Easier to square up I feel. And on full swing shots, my miss is a few yards right, whereas my Scor wedge, it is a pull left. Not sure why this is the case... But I like eliminating a pull hitting wedge.

9 hours ago, TBT said:

Played a full round on Sunday and had several shots with the RTX ZipCore Wedge. I hit 2 full swing shots, 3 -3/4 knock down shots and I “attempted” if you want to call it that 1 43 yard low checking shot.

1 thing I am noticing is I seem to be hitting just about every shot high on the face and out on the toe.
IMG_1164.jpg

*** Keep in mind that the wedges that Cleveland sent us are standard length and lie ***

I play my current gamer at +3/4” and 2 degrees up, so I’m pretty sure that’s accounting for the mishits.

Even though I am hitting the ball out on the toe, I’m still seeing consistent distance and good spin from the ZipCore.

Both full swing shots hit the green and left me 12 feet or less for my birdie.

2 out of the 3 knockdowns were dead online and inside of 6 feet, the other I pulled of the green.

The attempted low checking shot was bladed and flew the green...no fault of the arrow,,definitely the Indian on that one.

I planned on getting the club to my fitter to change the shaft this weekend but Hurricane Laura might have other plans.

Stay tuned!

I noticed the exact same thing, not quite as far on the toe, when I took them to the range the first time.. They definatly have a different feel about them.. that might be causing the strike location to be off...

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Wedges tested with Brand Ball?

I have always wondered how companies go about testing their clubs.  Do they use only their ball? Test the other big brands with their clubs?  A recent conversation with a guy at work sparked this test. I bought some Srixon Z-Stars, and they will be up against the V1, Tour B (X), TP5 Pix, and the AVX.  My thoughts here are, a club is probably designed to perform the best with other products made by the same brand.  Not really sure how I will compare this without launch monitor data, but I think it is a valid test going forward.  

6E53F1DC-E507-4930-8FF8-02355A8720F4.jpeg.92c37cd64dbcb174c0b85ad67cb866b7.jpeg

Upper Mass

There is something about having that extra mass moved high and towards the toe.  As a extremely high stock ball hitter, this little nugget of weight helps keep me below the stratosphere.  I have tried the TM Hi-Toe, and I am intrigued in this technology to move the weight around in wedges.  Looking at Greg Norman’s clubs from the by-gone era, the muscle was up top, he hit a low ball with packed with a whole shark-load of spin.  

25F0A3E1-A0BA-4A5E-8FCF-EB03EDA13FA2.jpeg.33a7b1778a18a43949e7573e490b62e1.jpeg

On the Fence

As a very particular person, I am split right down the middle on buying the 52, and 58 matching wedges.  I like my kit to match, but I need some more time with this 46 on the course before I pull the trigger on two more of these.  As I sit here and enjoy this wonderful cup of coffee, I must seriously contemplate on the other wedges. (Written last week)

7FAE71B3-0EA8-4C20-A221-755D6896AACA.jpeg.81136d78e75caf1787d3f326b35b215d.jpeg

On the Range Again…

Sunday (last week)  was a nasty day, soggy (shoes are still drying). I used the Z-Star, V1, TB X, and the TP5.  It was really windy, and I kept pulling all of the shots, quite annoying.  That bled over into the round, I was pulling or pull hooking a lot of shots.  I won’t be practicing in 30mph winds anymore. 

0C793213-B21E-4A51-85F1-244CCC251074.jpeg.72aa9fb6818bcdf8cac5ffce05b6de59.jpeg

Moving Ahead

Played last Wednesday, but only got 9 in.  Posted the picture of the distance.

Played today, and had a major Jekyll and Hyde round.  Backed up on 7, and it all went downhill from there.  +2 on the front and + 10 on the back.  I waited for 15 minutes on one hole to tee off.  Shoulder got a little stiff…(that’s new)

I am seeing some consistent distance with the 46°.  It’s good for 145 ish yards.  Still getting used to the feel, but I only had to use it 3 times today. But the 58° saw work on 13 holes.  Had a lot of shorter approach shots today.  So far, still enjoying the club. I do believe that I will be playing the Tour B X ball full time. 

2EF59444-4877-41BB-BEE6-122B67AEBCCB.jpeg.d96d75617e58cc9fbe2c249df0bcdc6b.jpeg

Well I spent about 40 minutes chipping and pitching in the sunshine and heat today. I'm still struggling to get my expected distance and flight from the 58*. It really gets the ball up in the air quickly... No matter what type of pitch/chip I'm trying to hit. I can flight my Scor 58*, but not this one. That low, runner from about 15 yards is about darn near impossible. I know that may not seem like a big deal but I normally chip from just off the green with my 58*, where most folks are putting.

Didn't get any full swings in as the heat was a bit much after my chipping and pitching session.

Hopefully 9 holes tomorrow....20200826_151626.jpgScreenshot_20200826-150905_WeatherBug.jpg

On 8/26/2020 at 1:22 PM, Shankster said:

Wedges tested with Brand Ball?

I have always wondered how companies go about testing their clubs.  Do they use only their ball? Test the other big brands with their clubs?  A recent conversation with a guy at work sparked this test. I bought some Srixon Z-Stars, and they will be up against the V1, Tour B (X), TP5 Pix, and the AVX.  My thoughts here are, a club is probably designed to perform the best with other products made by the same brand.  Not really sure how I will compare this without launch monitor data, but I think it is a valid test going forward.  

6E53F1DC-E507-4930-8FF8-02355A8720F4.jpeg.92c37cd64dbcb174c0b85ad67cb866b7.jpeg

Upper Mass

There is something about having that extra mass moved high and towards the toe.  As a extremely high stock ball hitter, this little nugget of weight helps keep me below the stratosphere.  I have tried the TM Hi-Toe, and I am intrigued in this technology to move the weight around in wedges.  Looking at Greg Norman’s clubs from the by-gone era, the muscle was up top, he hit a low ball with packed with a whole shark-load of spin.  

25F0A3E1-A0BA-4A5E-8FCF-EB03EDA13FA2.jpeg.33a7b1778a18a43949e7573e490b62e1.jpeg

On the Fence

As a very particular person, I am split right down the middle on buying the 52, and 58 matching wedges.  I like my kit to match, but I need some more time with this 46 on the course before I pull the trigger on two more of these.  As I sit here and enjoy this wonderful cup of coffee, I must seriously contemplate on the other wedges. (Written last week)

7FAE71B3-0EA8-4C20-A221-755D6896AACA.jpeg.81136d78e75caf1787d3f326b35b215d.jpeg

On the Range Again…

Sunday (last week)  was a nasty day, soggy (shoes are still drying). I used the Z-Star, V1, TB X, and the TP5.  It was really windy, and I kept pulling all of the shots, quite annoying.  That bled over into the round, I was pulling or pull hooking a lot of shots.  I won’t be practicing in 30mph winds anymore. 

0C793213-B21E-4A51-85F1-244CCC251074.jpeg.72aa9fb6818bcdf8cac5ffce05b6de59.jpeg

Moving Ahead

Played last Wednesday, but only got 9 in.  Posted the picture of the distance.

Played today, and had a major Jekyll and Hyde round.  Backed up on 7, and it all went downhill from there.  +2 on the front and + 10 on the back.  I waited for 15 minutes on one hole to tee off.  Shoulder got a little stiff…(that’s new)

I am seeing some consistent distance with the 46°.  It’s good for 145 ish yards.  Still getting used to the feel, but I only had to use it 3 times today. But the 58° saw work on 13 holes.  Had a lot of shorter approach shots today.  So far, still enjoying the club. I do believe that I will be playing the Tour B X ball full time. 

2EF59444-4877-41BB-BEE6-122B67AEBCCB.jpeg.d96d75617e58cc9fbe2c249df0bcdc6b.jpeg

Great visuals. Love the various creative edges you are applying to your photos!

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

7 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Thank you.  I use the Snapseed app on iphone  to frame them if you are interested.  Several different frames and other editing tools to use. 

Thanks for the tip. Yes I am interested. Creativity always ranks at the top in my book.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

My husband played 9 holes with me yesterday evening. I had been practicing in the house with my 56° and 60° and then accidentally left them behind. That issue forced me to use my 46° ZipCore for all wedge shots. I was happy with myself to discover that I can do that! I had a little trouble with distance because I wasn't always sure how much of a swing to take. One shot was short (about a foot off the green), one rolled about 8 ft past the hole, and all of the rest were high and landed on the green at various distances from the pin but stuck where they landed. I think I'll use an earlier suggestion from @downlowkey to make the "Zippy" my go to wedge and practice getting good at several types of shots with it.

PXG 0811 XF driver

58 and 54 after a round and some practice.... no wedge is going to be perfect in regards to keeping debris out of the grooves, but you can see that these grooves are nice and deep and even if you forget to clean them before a shot you should still get a good amount of spin.

IMG_20200828_124712__02.jpg

IMG_20200828_124835.jpg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

45 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

58 and 54 after a round and some practice.... no wedge is going to be perfect in regards to keeping debris out of the grooves, but you can see that these grooves are nice and deep and even if you forget to clean them before a shot you should still get a good amount of spin.

IMG_20200828_124712__02.jpg

IMG_20200828_124835.jpg

Thanks, now... please go clean those.  🤢

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 8/26/2020 at 5:06 PM, dhartmann34 said:

Well I spent about 40 minutes chipping and pitching in the sunshine and heat today. I'm still struggling to get my expected distance and flight from the 58*. It really gets the ball up in the air quickly... No matter what type of pitch/chip I'm trying to hit. I can flight my Scor 58*, but not this one. That low, runner from about 15 yards is about darn near impossible. emoji1745.png I know that may not seem like a big deal but I normally chip from just off the green with my 58*, where most folks are putting.

Didn't get any full swings in as the heat was a bit much after my chipping and pitching session.

Hopefully 9 holes tomorrow....20200826_151626.jpgScreenshot_20200826-150905_WeatherBug.jpg

I played a twilight round yesterday and it was ....

E053F002-5ED0-46A5-A0B2-60AEB25421A5.png

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

So I’ve got another launch monitor session in and am on my fourth round in. I’m just not sure this is a “Buy” yet.  To be fair I didn’t settle into my current gamers until after a year. 

9AB838FC-AA56-40A6-AB2E-AFBD65E8CA76.png

A65F46F2-FF5D-41F3-8298-4C75E4F8779C.jpeg

6 hours ago, BrownBearGolf said:

So I’ve got another launch monitor session in and am on my fourth round in. I’m just not sure this is a “Buy” yet.  To be fair I didn’t settle into my current gamers until after a year. 

9AB838FC-AA56-40A6-AB2E-AFBD65E8CA76.png

A65F46F2-FF5D-41F3-8298-4C75E4F8779C.jpeg

Difficult isn’t it?  I keep going back to my battered TM RocketBladez irons.  I settled in quickly with them because my other set was 1999 technology... but it is hard to move on from them.

I was able to give these a quick try as part of a check to see how my back/shoulder is doing.  I have to admit that I honestly wasn't impressed at all.  I compared it to the RTX 4 that I tested last fall for MGS, and I noticed that the Zipcore has a really distinctive click to them.  Just my initial thoughts were these are trying to copy what the SM7's did with moving the weight to the high toe.  I felt that I wasn't able to spin the Zipcore's as much some of the other wedges out on the market this year, especially the TM Milled Grind 2.  Once I'm fully rehabbed again, I can try to give it a better test, but unfortunately, I didn't see much improvement over the RTX 4 in terms of spin and greenside control.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

33 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

I was able to give these a quick try as part of a check to see how my back/shoulder is doing.  I have to admit that I honestly wasn't impressed at all.  I compared it to the RTX 4 that I tested last fall for MGS, and I noticed that the Zipcore has a really distinctive click to them.  Just my initial thoughts were these are trying to copy what the SM7's did with moving the weight to the high toe.  I felt that I wasn't able to spin the Zipcore's as much some of the other wedges out on the market this year, especially the TM Milled Grind 2.  Once I'm fully rehabbed again, I can try to give it a better test, but unfortunately, I didn't see much improvement over the RTX 4 in terms of spin and greenside control.

I haven’t compared it to RTX4 but I have compared it to my over two year old Mac Daddy 4 and to the SM8 in launch monitor and it gets no more spin than either.  Most surprising is it isn’t getting more spin that clubs over two years old!

18 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Funny, a friend of mine made the exact same comparison to the SM7s. After more range time and another round with the ZipCore wedge, I feel like they're not a crazy leap forward in technology coming from the RTX 4, and to be honest I'd give the nod to my RTX 4s in terms of overall performance. I'll explain more in my review, and I'm certainly not bashing the ZipCores, but for me they've been underwhelming. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I played a full round Sunday with my Grandson and had a great day. 1st time I really got to us these on the course.. As someone who normally does not get a lot of stop on my wedges these wedges created some problems for me. typically play short of the flag and let the ball release, well that did not happen. I left several shots Shorter than I wanted.. On a couple of full shots the Ball went NOWHERE.. literally, No where.. this 1st shot was a full 58* from about 70yds into the 1st green. As you can see it slammed on the Brakes.

20200830_094852.jpg.eb9e03940a3f9c80978d9c398cae6abc.jpg

this was to about 15ft. missed the birdie, but made par. 

on the 6th hole from about 65yds, another full wedge in as you can see it bounced and stopped into it's own ball mark..  Birdie.. 

20200830_105737.jpg.49f98ea7858fff0f3f7535ecfb8e553d.jpg

I had several chips that one or two hopped and checked up.. that left longer putts than i was hoping for. The clickyness was less noticeable while playing, but he weight was more apparent, Could have been my back.  Back started getting stiff on back 9 as we were waiting a lot, But still VERY happy with the round.. best all around round in the last 6-7 rounds..   All in all it was a great day, went 38/46 for an 84. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

4 hours ago, Reesedw said:

I played a full round Sunday with my Grandson and had a great day. 1st time I really got to us these on the course.. As someone who normally does not get a lot of stop on my wedges these wedges created some problems for me. typically play short of the flag and let the ball release, well that did not happen. I left several shots Shorter than I wanted.. On a couple of full shots the Ball went NOWHERE.. literally, No where.. this 1st shot was a full 58* from about 70yds into the 1st green. As you can see it slammed on the Brakes.

20200830_094852.jpg.eb9e03940a3f9c80978d9c398cae6abc.jpg

this was to about 15ft. missed the birdie, but made par. 

on the 6th hole from about 65yds, another full wedge in as you can see it bounced and stopped into it's own ball mark..  Birdie.. 

20200830_105737.jpg.49f98ea7858fff0f3f7535ecfb8e553d.jpg

I had several chips that one or two hopped and checked up.. that left longer putts than i was hoping for. The clickyness was less noticeable while playing, but he weight was more apparent, Could have been my back.  Back started getting stiff on back 9 as we were waiting a lot, But still VERY happy with the round.. best all around round in the last 6-7 rounds..   All in all it was a great day, went 38/46 for an 84. 

It is hard adjusting to getting spin. I had this issue with going to new wedges recently. Is your lack of spin on your other wedges because they are older and the grooves being not what they used to be or is it how you hit shots?

I got out for a round on Saturday....it was HOT! 118* Heat index!!

I hit 9 shots with my 50* RTX ZipCore wedge (I purposely laid up to 110 yards on all 4 par 5’s)

I had 6 full swing shots including one on a par 3 that was playing 113 yards to the front pin.

I also hit 3 knockdown 3/4 swing shots from various yardages.

1st hole is a reachable par 5 but I’m testing wedges not Fairway woods...so I laid up to 112 yards. Perfect lie right in the middle of the fairway....pin was tucked on the left side about 15 feet over a very deep bunker. Lined up just right of the flag and made a nice smooth pass at the ball.....it launched very high with a slight draw....it landed about 6 feet right just short of pin high....the ball took one hop and rolled out about 9 feet past the pin...from the strike and the perfect lie I was surprised that I didn’t get more spin.

4th hole was 113 yard par 3 over water, hit a nice crisp shot but blocked it right and ended up in a bunker short sided (blocked shots are a reoccurring issue for me with this club I’m chalking it up to being shorter and flatter lie than I normally play)

6th hole I had 77 yards to a back pin after hooking my tee shot into the trees and having to punch out. I played the ball off my back foot and took a 3/4 swing with a short follow through......got a nice tree top high trajectory that landed 25 foot short...took 2 bounces and rolled out to 6 feet and I made the putt to save my par

7th hole is a par 5, I laid up to 106 yards...pin was on the back half on top of a small ridge. Hit a perfect high baby fade that landed on the top shelf took 1 hop and stopped dead leaving me a 7 footer for birdie ( we won’t mention if I made the putt or not )

9th hole I had 91 yards after piping a drive on a short par 4. normal stance 3/4 swing...crap there is the block to the right again!.....missed the green and the ball ran down the slope into some think rough

10th hole I hit a fairway bunker and was only able to advance it about 60 yards so I had 116 yards to a front pin that was just in front of a big slope so it gave me a backboard. I hit probably the best shot with this wedge so far....high baby draw..went right over the flag hit the slope and spun back down almost going in!! I had a 5 inch tap in for par.

12th hole another reachable par 5 but we are laying up today...ended up with 107 to a middle pin with no real trouble...so what happens....yep you guessed it, another block to the right....I did catch the green but I was 40 feet away...not what I expect with a scoring club in my hand.

16th hole I hit a 3w off the tee on a short par 4 leaving myself 88 yards to a front pin.....moved the ball back hit the 3/4 swing with the abbreviated follow through...landed it just short and and it rolled out to 4 feet and I made the birdie

18th hole is a long par 5 with the green protected front and left by water and 3 bunkers on the right...it’s a tough finishing hole.

I had 105 to the flag was back lef, hit a nice high shot that was slightly blocked right...hit the center of the green with about 25 feet left.

All together it was a good outing with the RTX ZipCore wedge...good consistent contact, I’m not really seeing tons of spin but when the heat index is *110+ the greens dry out a lot, the blocks are coming from the setup...I need to get it in to my club guy to swap out shafts and adjust the lie angle.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I got out for a round on Saturday....it was HOT! 118* Heat index!!

I hit 9 shots with my 50* RTX ZipCore wedge (I purposely laid up to 110 yards on all 4 par 5’s)

I had 6 full swing shots including one on a par 3 that was playing 113 yards to the front pin.
I also hit 3 knockdown 3/4 swing shots from various yardages.

1st hole is a reachable par 5 but I’m testing wedges not Fairway woods...so I laid up to 112 yards. Perfect lie right in the middle of the fairway....pin was tucked on the left side about 15 feet over a very deep bunker. Lined up just right of the flag and made a nice smooth pass at the ball.....it launched very high with a slight draw....it landed about 6 feet right just short of pin high....the ball took one hop and rolled out about 9 feet past the pin...from the strike and the perfect lie I was surprised that I didn’t get more spin.

4th hole was 113 yard par 3 over water, hit a nice crisp shot but blocked it right and ended up in a bunker short sided (blocked shots are a reoccurring issue for me with this club I’m chalking it up to being shorter and flatter lie than I normally play)

6th hole I had 77 yards to a back pin after hooking my tee shot into the trees and having to punch out. I played the ball off my back foot and took a 3/4 swing with a short follow through......got a nice tree top hit trajectory that landed 25 foot short...took 2 bounces and rolled out to 6 feet and I made the putt to save my par

7th hole is a par 5, I laid up to 106 yards...pin was on the back half on top of a small ridge. Hit a perfect high baby fade that landed on the top shelf took 1 hop and stopped dead leaving my a 7 footer for birdie ( we won’t mention if I made the putt or not )

9th hole I had 91 yards after piping a drive on a short par 4. normal stance 3/4 swing...crap there is the block to the right again!.....missed the green and the ball ran down the slope into some think rough

10th hole I hit a fairway bunker and was only able to advance it about 60 yards so I had 116 yards to a front pin that was just in front of a big slope so it gave me a backboard. I hit probably the best shot with this wedge so far....high baby draw..went right over the flag hit the slope and spun back down almost going in!! I had a 5 inch tap in for par.

12th hole another reachable par 5 but we are laying up today...ended up with 107 to a middle pin with no real trouble...so what happens....yep you guessed it, another block to the right....I did catch the green but I was 40 fever away...not what I expect with a scoring club in my hand.

16th hole I hit a 3w off the tee on a short par 4 leaving myself 88 yards to a front pin.....moved the ball back hit the 3/4 swing with the abbreviated follow through...landed it just short and and it rolled out to 4 feet and made the birdie

18th hole is a long par 5 with the green protected front and left by water and 3 bunkers on the right...it’s a tough finishing hole.

I had 105 to the that was back lef, hit a nice high s*** that was slightly blocked right...hit the center of the green with about 25 feet left.

All together it was a good outing with the RTX ZipCore wedge...good consistent contact, I’m not really seeing tons of spin but when the heat index is *110+ the greens dry out a lot, the blocks are coming from the setup...I need to get it in the my club guy to swap out shafts and adjust the lie angle.

I'm seeing a very similar thing when it comes to conditions. I can bump and run it if it's hard and dry. After Laura came through though and soaked everything (including me) it was getting up and slamming into the green. I made a ball mark with a 30 yd chip and it just sat which never happens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've played a couple rounds since I last posted. I've been chipping a LOT on my birdieball green with the 58*. Really trying to get used to hitting the non-rough shots with the 58 as I've struggled with it.

Pitches and shots between 50-85 yards continue to be great. Still can't really feel whether it's a good shot or not... Just a muted feel for me.

Another 18 tomorrow! Private country club so I'll have some fun conditions to play on with it.

21 hours ago, tommc23 said:

It is hard adjusting to getting spin. I had this issue with going to new wedges recently. Is your lack of spin on your other wedges because they are older and the grooves being not what they used to be or is it how you hit shots?

I would say it is the way I hit the ball. I have never really gotten much spin except, the rare occasion. My old wedges are Cobra King Black that are 2 yrs old with about 30 rounds on them and a handful of range sessions.. so they are still in good shape.. I just don't hit wedges to create a ton of spin..  

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

31 minutes ago, Reesedw said:

I would say it is the way I hit the ball. I have never really gotten much spin except, the rare occasion. My old wedges are Cobra King Black that are 2 yrs old with about 30 rounds on them and a handful of range sessions.. so they are still in good shape.. I just don't hit wedges to create a ton of spin..  

That sounds like you will have to adjust more than those like me who are used to creating spin. I have faith that you'll adjust and be able to figure it out.