TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges

StrokerAce

1 hour ago, tommc23 said:

Nicely done folks read them all when unable to sleep and not a 1 put me to sleep. It's interesting seeing the difference in opinions and results for some yet a consistency among them all at the same time. 

I noticed the consistency in scores too.  I tend to wait till my review is up before I read anyone else.  That way I am not influenced by what others are saying about the club.

Final review is up, let me know if you have any questions

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 8/4/2020 at 10:56 AM, Shankster said:

LOVE your photos!

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

PXG 0811 XF driver

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

10 minutes ago, artful_golfer said:

@artful_golferFantastic write up. I wish I could chip in the house.. Also what a great ball return system you have.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

Thank you.  

Yours are really good too!  The frames top them off. 

Nice review of the wedge. There are many golf ball dimple patterned “dents” in my previous house.  Not sure how they got there... 😁

Thanks. The photo frame tip credit goes to you. You were correct that Snapseed is easy to use. I love it.

Ha, I don't have golf ball dents in my house. I hit so many that would be an expensive repair. Foam balls prevent that. But I probably have marks on the paint from wet "slobber" balls. If I don't focus and aim correctly they ricochet all over the place - kitchen sink, potted plant, under a sofa, into another room and even back at me. But my dog always lets me know where they are.

PXG 0811 XF driver

On 8/4/2020 at 8:55 AM, artful_golfer said:

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedge Review - October 2020

ZipCore_Horz.jpg.ed3d0e866794ae59ff75f3152e7ca442.jpg

Hi fellow spies. I apologize that my review is behind the others. My first attempt was about ready to go when it disappeared so I needed to start all over. But here it is.

I would like to extend a huge thank you to MyGolfSpy and Cleveland Golf for taking a chance by including me (a female) in this opportunity to test and review the men’s RTX ZipCore wedge. I have learned over my short six years of golf that ladies should not feel like their only choice in equipment is that which is labeled ‘ladies’. The real determination should be whether something works. I also feel like we can all learn from each other as golfers irrespective of gender or skill level. I for one have learned so much from MyGolfSpy and it feels great and humbling to contribute. Rather than be repetitive, if you are interested in  a little background on my golf experience, here is a link to my 2019 Wilson D7 Challenge Review:

With a lot of determination, my handicap index has dropped to 17-18. My typical ball flight is low-to-mid and a little to the right for long shots but oddly a little left for short shots. The decision to develop a solid short game was made 3 weeks after I started playing and I continue to work toward that goal. My typically chipping practice is to play 9 holes by myself hitting only short shots. To not hold up other group play, I skip tee and fairway shots and head straight to the greens. I toss 6 balls around each green and hit chip shots from wherever they land. All attempts must finish on the green or I start over. Playing 9 holes under this system adds up to a lot of short game practice. Practice, practice and more practice but still not perfect.

It wasn’t until earlier this year that I began to understand bounce on a wedge and why a lot of it might not be a good fit for the typical turf conditions at my club. The Cleveland website states Low Bounce is for perfect for: 1) finesse and open face shots, 2) a neutral to shallow attack angle, and 3) medium or firm conditions. #2 and #3 describe me and my home course perfectly. I seldom leave a divot and typically play on hard, dry ground with some thin grass areas. I chose to test the 46° wedge which was only available with a mid-bounce.

Last year I was given two men’s Cleveland RTX-3 wedges (52° and 56°). My chipping/sand shots changed dramatically and the 56° quickly became my go-to wedge. Grinding out practice time I learned a full swing, half swing plus a bump and run all with the same club. This year a men’s Cleveland Tour Action 60° (Low Bounce) was added to my bag and immediately became my most successful club in the bunkers. When the ZipCore test came along, I was optimistic about adding another Cleveland to replace my current wide soled pitching wedge. I knew I would need to adjust the shaft length before I could play with my new wedge. Here is a link to my shaft trimming adventure I posted earlier in this review: https://youtu.be/3gum-EDLIPI

I didn’t know how I would respond to a heavier steel shaft since graphite was all I knew. One thing I wanted to find out is if I prefer a steel or graphite shaft for my wedges. I shouldn’t have fretted about it because I like them both.

For my review purposes I compared this ZipCore wedge to my TaylorMade R7 Pitching Wedge.

ZipCore_vs_R7.jpg.4ede4a8c4c009ff739f7f8cf908b2bf3.jpg

It was not going to take much to replace my R7 PW, but I am delighted with my ZipCore and have fondly renamed it “Zippy”.

Looks: 9 out of 10

I like the Satin (matte) silver finish of this wedge. It has an understated smooth, classy look, no need for sassy flash. Cleveland now offers the ZipCore Tour Rack (raw) finish and an even classier Black Satin finish. I removed one point because I would like it better without the graphic on the shaft but understand the manufacturer’s marketing need to include it.

ZipCore_ShaftGraphic.jpg.0d542d4822289dc2eaa3798fed6dc9cb.jpg

My personal preference is less fuss is better and let performance speak for itself. No one noticed a new club in my bag before I pulled it out for show and tell but I suspect that if I had an entire matching set of these wedges they would definitely get noticed.

Sound & Feel: 10 out of 10

Compared to my other clubs, this has a quieter, smooth sound as it glides through the grass. On shots where I try to hit with a wide open face there is almost no sound except the swish of grass – very pleasing, like I’m hitting marshmallows.

Marshmallows.jpg.290220193b9d558d0f1ab4b8a4cb55ca.jpg

Even my mishits sound and feel ok.

I like the weight of this club. It is my heaviest club, but honestly, I do not notice the weight difference when I’m out on the course. What I have noticed is it seems to give me better control on my swing.

Wedge_weights.jpg.711638a0b6833b7599e783e29b07361f.jpg

Basic Characteristics: 18 out of 20

I’ve always had difficulty with aiming accuracy. That being said, compared with my R7 PW, this wedge is an improvement. I have a special setup in my house that helps me practice my aim. I practiced many more shots with this wedge indoors than out. After this test began, a need arose that daily took me to another town to take care of family stuff. By the time I got home each day, either darkness, inclement weather or exhaustion hampered practice. Hence the indoor practice time. This video is of my indoor practice setup. Once we get in the groove, we average 4 balls a minute so I can easily hit 100 balls in 30 minutes. My ball retriever or demolished (chewed up) balls usually give out before I do.

I deleted 2 points in this section for distance control issues that I mentioned above. Even though I know that is user error it is still an issue I was looking forward to finally figuring out.

After the Golf Pro at my club showed me that I was hitting this club consistently in the center, I felt more confident with it. But . . . 

ZipCore_ToeHit.jpg.a449c8e9aac50dbe8452e79a00c99629.jpg

I must not always hit it in the center. This shot was actually a pretty good one so I give forgiveness a thumbs up!

When I counted my ShotScope rounds since receiving my Zippy I was surprised to find I played 16 rounds with it in my bag before this review. The problem was that I hadn't encountered many opportunities on the course to use it to know if I really like it. I would need to fix that. So for the last 3 weeks, I have been forcing myself to use only this 46° Zippy for all my wedge shots so I could provide a more informed review. Actually forcing is not a good descriptor because I enjoy using it. I used it for everything inside 65 yards (I don’t hit it as far as the guys, hence the 65 yds). Long, short, tall grass, plus bump and run. I’m pleased with the versatility.

On Course Performance: 27 out of 30

I didn't have regular access to a launch monitor for this review. I do play with a Shot Scope V3 watch. The GPS helps with distance during a round and the tracking stats after the round help me to learn where I’m actually hitting those shots. When I upgraded from Shot Scope V2 to V3 in July, all of my prior rounds of stats were lost – as in gone, nowhere to be found. So unfortunately I'm unable to provide specifics to compare with my TaylorMade PW, or Wilson D7 and Ping Serene before that, but I do feel like my Zippy is better. That means my old PWs will remain in the time-out bag.

I'm not very technical, so I'll quote directly from the Cleveland Golf website: “ZipCore is a unique, low-density core that sits at the heart of RTX. ZipCore shifts the center of gravity while raising MOI, adding spin, enhancing control, and boosting consistency on all your shots.” Cleveland also says that more grooves, deeper grooves and sharper grooves mean more edge contact on every shot. All sounds good, right? I can understand the grooves because I can see them. Just look at all of those crisp, pretty grooves!

ZipCore_Grooves.jpg.bffc8bcbcd3db5ce5301662c9743c022.jpg

To me the proof is that with my Zippy the ball usually flies a little higher and stops close to where it lands on the green. Sometimes my ball flies higher than expected and the energy used in that height seems to make it fall short of what I envisioned in distance leaving me a longer putt. I feel like the more I continue to use this club the better I will eventually get at feeling the correct amount of energy I need for various distances. I just need more time and practice. I removed another 3 points in this category for my distance control issues.

Miscellaneous: 5 out of 10

The packaging was great and the super quick arrival of the club was phenomenal. Even though we were only offered stocks options without any changes for this test, the Cleveland website is easy to navigate and helpful in selecting which club.

ClevelandWebsite.jpg.bcb3d4a11f2e3928d3adb2bda04070ae.jpg

My issue, this is a big, personal one for me, is the grip. This is my first time to play with a Golf Pride grip and I simply don’t like it.

ZipCore_GolfPrideGrip.jpg.eea8c83d8140425bb8d95f2911c473e3.jpg

I wear two golf gloves because giving up soft hands was a deal breaker in getting me to play golf. My other wedges and short irons sport a soft, slightly tacky leather grip (The Grip Master) that I love. I like to remove my gloves for short shots and putting (especially in warmer weather) and that Grip Master is perfect. Comparatively, The Golf Pride grip is hard/stiff and the texture hurts the palm side of my fingers. When I practice with this club, my hands will be quite sore for a couple of days unless I wear gloves. Who wants to wear gloves to practice wedge shots in South Texas heat for an hour? I will be replacing the grip!

Play It or Trade it: 20 out of 20

I will play it. Even though I haven’t decided if I like the steel or the graphite shaft better for my wedges, I’m leaning toward graphite because I will need to only change one shaft. For now I will keep playing with them as they are but I think it will help me if my wedge weights are more consistent.

One of the best things this test did was make me realize what the grooves and bounce on a club do and what a difference they can make.

ClevelandZipCore-with-ball.jpg.e828d59ba562676a341401649b892f10.jpg

Several times I have looked at my older wedges wondering if I should seriously consider new ones or if I should be happy and content with what I have at my skill level. New is always a fun choice. If you are considering new wedges, I can’t imagine that you could be anything but happy with the Cleveland RTX ZipCore wedges. And ladies, don’t be afraid to try the men’s clubs, you’ll have more options.

Final Score: 89

Have a happy short game!

ClevelandZipCore-uphill.jpg.4471963fddb118a78f1e69842d4fd504.jpg

Great review!!  I am curious about the last swing in your on course video.  What was it that got you upon your tippy toes!!  Were you a ballet dancer?  😀  It could be one reason why you generally hit off the toe of the club.

I could never chip inside with all those things to hit... even with foam balls!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Great review!!  I am curious about the last swing in your on course video.  What was it that got you upon your tippy toes!!  Were you a ballet dancer?  😀  It could be one reason why you generally hit off the toe of the club.

I could never chip inside with all those things to hit... even with foam balls!!

Your post makes me laugh, thanks. No on the ballet dancer, I'm not that coordinated. The video snippet of the last swing was actually the first one we did, before I started consciously working on trying to keep my feet on the ground. I put it last only because it was a good hit and I yelled Woohoo.

Hadn't connected the my toes action with toe hits, but it makes sense. Thanks for the tip. I'll try to pay attention to when that happens. I'm actually doing better with keeping my feet down on short shots but not my drives. I give my drives everything I have and that seems to bring me up on my toes.

I've had indoor chipped balls end up in odd places (pot on the stove) and knocked a few things over when I first started, though never broken anything. It has helped my aim because the goal is to hit the ball all the way through the opening to the window by the front door. If I wasn't a golfer I would probably feel different about balls flying around my house. My dog can't help but give each ball a few chews before giving them back so every 3-4 days I have to sweep up all of the colorful strewn pieces. Small price to pay if I get better at aiming.

PXG 0811 XF driver

22 minutes ago, artful_golfer said:

Your post makes me laugh, thanks. No on the ballet dancer, I'm not that coordinated. The video snippet of the last swing was actually the first one we did, before I started consciously working on trying to keep my feet on the ground. I put it last only because it was a good hit and I yelled Woohoo.

Hadn't connected the my toes action with toe hits, but it makes sense. Thanks for the tip. I'll try to pay attention to when that happens. I'm actually doing better with keeping my feet down on short shots but not my drives. I give my drives everything I have and that seems to bring me up on my toes.

I've had indoor chipped balls end up in odd places (pot on the stove) and knocked a few things over when I first started, though never broken anything. It has helped my aim because the goal is to hit the ball all the way through the opening to the window by the front door. If I wasn't a golfer I would probably feel different about balls flying around my house. My dog can't help but give each ball a few chews before giving them back so every 3-4 days I have to sweep up all of the colorful strewn pieces. Small price to pay if I get better at aiming.

Your ball retrieving tool is fantastic! Mine would run off and hide with them. 

32 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Your ball retrieving tool is fantastic! Mine would run off and hide with them. 

Ha, ha. She has always played fetch very well. But for this she did want to run off and chew up the foam balls. She lived with@downlowkeybefore she came to live in Texas and he would rapid fire 30 foam balls to her in his living room. But I wanted her to bring them all back. I started out by lining up mini treats on the arm of the chair next to my chipping rug. I would give her one treat every other time she brought one back, until now she doesn't need treats anymore.

PXG 0811 XF driver

2 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

LOL...  well, you are in good company!  Bubba gets up on his toes on his drives, as do all the Long Drive competitors.  Whatever works best.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedge Review - October 2020
ZipCore_Horz.jpg.ed3d0e866794ae59ff75f3152e7ca442.jpg
Hi fellow spies. I apologize that my review is behind the others. My first attempt was about ready to go when it disappeared so I needed to start all over. But here it is.
I would like to extend a huge thank you to MyGolfSpy and Cleveland Golf for taking a chance by including me (a female) in this opportunity to test and review the men’s RTX ZipCore wedge. I have learned over my short six years of golf that ladies should not feel like their only choice in equipment is that which is labeled ‘ladies’. The real determination should be whether something works. I also feel like we can all learn from each other as golfers irrespective of gender or skill level. I for one have learned so much from MyGolfSpy and it feels great and humbling to contribute. Rather than be repetitive, if you are interested in  a little background on my golf experience, here is a link to my 2019 Wilson D7 Challenge Review:
[/url] With a lot of determination, my handicap index has dropped to 17-18. My typical ball flight is low-to-mid and a little to the right for long shots but oddly a little left for short shots. The decision to develop a solid short game was made 3 weeks after I started playing and I continue to work toward that goal. My typically chipping practice is to play 9 holes by myself hitting only short shots. To not hold up other group play, I skip tee and fairway shots and head straight to the greens. I toss 6 balls around each green and hit chip shots from wherever they land. All attempts must finish on the green or I start over. Playing 9 holes under this system adds up to a lot of short game practice. Practice, practice and more practice but still not perfect.
It wasn’t until earlier this year that I began to understand bounce on a wedge and why a lot of it might not be a good fit for the typical turf conditions at my club. The Cleveland website states Low Bounce is for perfect for: 1) finesse and open face shots, 2) a neutral to shallow attack angle, and 3) medium or firm conditions. #2 and #3 describe me and my home course perfectly. I seldom leave a divot and typically play on hard, dry ground with some thin grass areas. I chose to test the 46° wedge which was only available with a mid-bounce.
Last year I was given two men’s Cleveland RTX-3 wedges (52° and 56°). My chipping/sand shots changed dramatically and the 56° quickly became my go-to wedge. Grinding out practice time I learned a full swing, half swing plus a bump and run all with the same club. This year a men’s Cleveland Tour Action 60° (Low Bounce) was added to my bag and immediately became my most successful club in the bunkers. When the ZipCore test came along, I was optimistic about adding another Cleveland to replace my current wide soled pitching wedge. I knew I would need to adjust the shaft length before I could play with my new wedge. Here is a link to my shaft trimming adventure I posted earlier in this review:

I didn’t know how I would respond to a heavier steel shaft since graphite was all I knew. One thing I wanted to find out is if I prefer a steel or graphite shaft for my wedges. I shouldn’t have fretted about it because I like them both.
For my review purposes I compared this ZipCore wedge to my TaylorMade R7 Pitching Wedge.
ZipCore_vs_R7.jpg.4ede4a8c4c009ff739f7f8cf908b2bf3.jpg
It was not going to take much to replace my R7 PW, but I am delighted with my ZipCore and have fondly renamed it “Zippy”.
I like the Satin (matte) silver finish of this wedge. It has an understated smooth, classy look, no need for sassy flash. Cleveland now offers the ZipCore Tour Rack (raw) finish and an even classier Black Satin finish. I removed one point because I would like it better without the graphic on the shaft but understand the manufacturer’s marketing need to include it.
ZipCore_ShaftGraphic.jpg.0d542d4822289dc2eaa3798fed6dc9cb.jpg
My personal preference is less fuss is better and let performance speak for itself. No one noticed a new club in my bag before I pulled it out for show and tell but I suspect that if I had an entire matching set of these wedges they would definitely get noticed.
Sound & Feel: 10 out of 10
Compared to my other clubs, this has a quieter, smooth sound as it glides through the grass. On shots where I try to hit with a wide open face there is almost no sound except the swish of grass – very pleasing, like I’m hitting marshmallows.
Marshmallows.jpg.290220193b9d558d0f1ab4b8a4cb55ca.jpg
Even my mishits sound and feel ok.
I like the weight of this club. It is my heaviest club, but honestly, I do not notice the weight difference when I’m out on the course. What I have noticed is it seems to give me better control on my swing.
Wedge_weights.jpg.711638a0b6833b7599e783e29b07361f.jpg
Basic Characteristics: 18 out of 20
I’ve always had difficulty with aiming accuracy. That being said, compared with my R7 PW, this wedge is an improvement. I have a special setup in my house that helps me practice my aim. I practiced many more shots with this wedge indoors than out. After this test began, a need arose that daily took me to another town to take care of family stuff. By the time I got home each day, either darkness, inclement weather or exhaustion hampered practice. Hence the indoor practice time. This video is of my indoor practice setup. Once we get in the groove, we average 4 balls a minute so I can easily hit 100 balls in 30 minutes. My ball retriever or demolished (chewed up) balls usually give out before I do.
I deleted 2 points in this section for distance control issues that I mentioned above. Even though I know that is user error it is still an issue I was looking forward to finally figuring out.
After the Golf Pro at my club showed me that I was hitting this club consistently in the center, I felt more confident with it. But . . . 
ZipCore_ToeHit.jpg.a449c8e9aac50dbe8452e79a00c99629.jpg
I must not always hit it in the center. This shot was actually a pretty good one so I give forgiveness a thumbs up!
When I counted my ShotScope rounds since receiving my Zippy I was surprised to find I played 16 rounds with it in my bag before this review. The problem was that I hadn't encountered many opportunities on the course to use it to know if I really like it. I would need to fix that. So for the last 3 weeks, I have been forcing myself to use only this 46° Zippy for all my wedge shots so I could provide a more informed review. Actually forcing is not a good descriptor because I enjoy using it. I used it for everything inside 65 yards (I don’t hit it as far as the guys, hence the 65 yds). Long, short, tall grass, plus bump and run. I’m pleased with the versatility.
On Course Performance: 27 out of 30
I didn't have regular access to a launch monitor for this review. I do play with a Shot Scope V3 watch. The GPS helps with distance during a round and the tracking stats after the round help me to learn where I’m actually hitting those shots. When I upgraded from Shot Scope V2 to V3 in July, all of my prior rounds of stats were lost – as in gone, nowhere to be found. So unfortunately I'm unable to provide specifics to compare with my TaylorMade PW, or Wilson D7 and Ping Serene before that, but I do feel like my Zippy is better. That means my old PWs will remain in the time-out bag.
I'm not very technical, so I'll quote directly from the Cleveland Golf website: “ZipCore is a unique, low-density core that sits at the heart of RTX. ZipCore shifts the center of gravity while raising MOI, adding spin, enhancing control, and boosting consistency on all your shots.” Cleveland also says that more grooves, deeper grooves and sharper grooves mean more edge contact on every shot. All sounds good, right? I can understand the grooves because I can see them. Just look at all of those crisp, pretty grooves!
ZipCore_Grooves.jpg.bffc8bcbcd3db5ce5301662c9743c022.jpg
To me the proof is that with my Zippy the ball usually flies a little higher and stops close to where it lands on the green. Sometimes my ball flies higher than expected and the energy used in that height seems to make it fall short of what I envisioned in distance leaving me a longer putt. I feel like the more I continue to use this club the better I will eventually get at feeling the correct amount of energy I need for various distances. I just need more time and practice. I removed another 3 points in this category for my distance control issues.
Miscellaneous: 5 out of 10
The packaging was great and the super quick arrival of the club was phenomenal. Even though we were only offered stocks options without any changes for this test, the Cleveland website is easy to navigate and helpful in selecting which club.
ClevelandWebsite.jpg.bcb3d4a11f2e3928d3adb2bda04070ae.jpg
My issue, this is a big, personal one for me, is the grip. This is my first time to play with a Golf Pride grip and I simply don’t like it.
ZipCore_GolfPrideGrip.jpg.eea8c83d8140425bb8d95f2911c473e3.jpg
I wear two golf gloves because giving up soft hands was a deal breaker in getting me to play golf. My other wedges and short irons sport a soft, slightly tacky leather grip (The Grip Master) that I love. I like to remove my gloves for short shots and putting (especially in warmer weather) and that Grip Master is perfect. Comparatively, The Golf Pride grip is hard/stiff and the texture hurts the palm side of my fingers. When I practice with this club, my hands will be quite sore for a couple of days unless I wear gloves. Who wants to wear gloves to practice wedge shots in South Texas heat for an hour? I will be replacing the grip!
Play It or Trade it: 20 out of 20
I will play it. Even though I haven’t decided if I like the steel or the graphite shaft better for my wedges, I’m leaning toward graphite because I will need to only change one shaft. For now I will keep playing with them as they are but I think it will help me if my wedge weights are more consistent.
One of the best things this test did was make me realize what the grooves and bounce on a club do and what a difference they can make.
ClevelandZipCore-with-ball.jpg.e828d59ba562676a341401649b892f10.jpg
Several times I have looked at my older wedges wondering if I should seriously consider new ones or if I should be happy and content with what I have at my skill level. New is always a fun choice. If you are considering new wedges, I can’t imagine that you could be anything but happy with the Cleveland RTX ZipCore wedges. And ladies, don’t be afraid to try the men’s clubs, you’ll have more options.
Final Score: 89
Have a happy short game!
ClevelandZipCore-uphill.jpg.4471963fddb118a78f1e69842d4fd504.jpg

Well Done

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Splash shots outta the bark/mulch around my home course are fun with this. Had a few yesterday and had good success yesterday putting it on the green from 15-20 yards away.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to get the 46 from@shankster and took it straight out to the course today. It lines up perfectly with my Mizuno MP20 HMB PW. First thing I noticed was that it had so much more zip. Didnt have a lot of opportunities to use it but when I did the spin it would get was impressive!

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

So did some more practicing with the 46 today. I noticed that one of the things that I disliked the most with my 54, the spinner shaft, did not bother me as much. I just did a bit of research and found the swing weight is D3(46) vs D5(54). Not really sure what that fully correlates to but I feel a difference and it does not feel as whippy.

• 2 months later...
Have decided that I am going to get a 50 and 58 to complete my wedges with the Zipcore. Now the problem is to figure out whether I want to go with the raw tour version on both or either.

I plan on getting the 48* and 54* to go with my 58* but I had just purchased a 48 & 54 Wilson D7 in July. We will see.....hmmmm

Using Cobra Speedzone Extreme Driverw/ Mitsubishi Tense av Blue regular shaft; Cobra King F8 4W & 6W w/Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue regular shaft; Cobra F8 19* Hybrid w/Recoil 460 shaft, Irons 5-PW Wilson Staff D-7 w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Wilson Staff D-7 48 & 54 wedges, Cleveland Zipcore 58 wedge & Slotline SSI693 putter.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I finally picked up the Zipcore 50* and 54* to go with my 58*.

I hope they score as well as the 58*. So far so good, 2 rounds in the bank and they feel terrific.

Image1613761922.865105.jpg

Using Cobra Speedzone Extreme Driverw/ Mitsubishi Tense av Blue regular shaft; Cobra King F8 4W & 6W w/Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue regular shaft; Cobra F8 19* Hybrid w/Recoil 460 shaft, Irons 5-PW Wilson Staff D-7 w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Wilson Staff D-7 48 & 54 wedges, Cleveland Zipcore 58 wedge & Slotline SSI693 putter.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

• 1 month later...

Like@fozcycle I finally picked up the rest of the "set". Purchased a 50* and 58* both are mid bounce. I decided to go with the black satin in the 58 because I cannot stand the glare even though the zipcores are great at minimizing it as much as possible.

Although the shafts are quite a bit heavier than my previous wedges(Wilson D7 w/Recoil 460’s) I am sticking with the Zips as the shaft weight (128 gram) versus the Recoils(64 gram) is much heavier I like the full swing shots as they are more accurate.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• 1 year later...

Well, here it is a year later.  Recently I changed out the Zipcores for Hogan Tk-15 because of the shaft weight.  Getting older and trying to play golf don’t mix very well.  I am think8ng about changing the shafts fo4 zips to a lighter shaft.