Jump to content
GolfSpy Stroker

2020 Official Member Review: Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

WHOA!  Those will ZIP all the way back to where you hit them if your not careful.  🙂

 

I can hit a lob shot that stops. But I don't know how to make my golf ball roll back after it hits a green. Any tips on how I learn that skill?

  • Like 5

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 and 5 wood, 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; 56/11 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, artful_golfer said:

I can hit a lob shot that stops. But I don't know how to make my golf ball roll back after it hits a green. Any tips on how I learn that skill?

Not from me.

Maybe hit onto a sloped green and hit it on the slope so it rolls back down the hill?  😁

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
--------------------------
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great starts, everyone! I love how each of you chose your wedge for different reasons and it'll be interesting to see how they work for each of you. The ZipCore is high on my list of wedges when I finally pull the trigger on a new set. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be testing the 58* Mid bounce Zipcore. As someone who typically does not get a ball to stop quickly, this gives me a chance to put it through it paces up against another top notch wedge, the King Black from Cobra. Granted the Cobra has a few miles on it but it is far from retirement age. But then again maybe not we will see. 

  • Like 7

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

 

 WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great starts, everyone! I love how each of you chose your wedge for different reasons and it'll be interesting to see how they work for each of you. The ZipCore is high on my list of wedges when I finally pull the trigger on a new set. 

What are you looking for?  Anything specific you would like us to look for?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

What are you looking for?  Anything specific you would like us to look for?

For me, versatility around the green is something I look for. I like knowing I can open it up and play either a high, soft lob or a low spinny shot. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shankster said:

What are you looking for?  Anything specific you would like us to look for?

I am just curious is it really going to increase spin and how much? Also if that is the case how effective is it in the wet conditions

  • Like 5

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am honored to be chosen to test the new Cleveland RTX ZipCore wedge. The ZipCore wedges were already high on my list of clubs I wanted to try based on some early rumblings I have been hearing from some of the Cleveland reps.

I will be testing the 50* Mid bounce model, I chose the 50* wedge because it’s one of the most used clubs in my bag.

I’m a Dave Pelz “Short game bible” disciple so I use my wedges with many different swings for different distances and trajectories. Full swing it’s my 100-110 yard club, 3/4 it’s my 80-85 yard club and 1/2 swing produces a low checking 50 yard shot.

I have a ton of confidence in those shots and if I’m out of position or playing a long par 5 I look to layup to a distance that puts my 50* wedge in my hand.

My current gamer is a satin King Cobra wedge, it’s one of my favorite clubs but is a couple of seasons old and ready to retire.

I’ll compare the 2 side by side comparing sound, feel, distance and stopping power.
I may also add a 54* ZipCore wedge to my bag as well and I’ll test it along side of my 54* Cobra wedge.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 8

 

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB



Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

For me, versatility around the green is something I look for. I like knowing I can open it up and play either a high, soft lob or a low spinny shot. 

Not sure I’ll be of much help with getting the 46° wedge.  But I have been using my PW for the 65-100 yard knock down’s if need be.  And it sees some chipping, and light pitching work. 
 

Probably going to order the 52 and 58 as long as the shape of the 46 fits my eye. I was contemplating going 46, 50, 54, 58, 62... don’t think I have the need or the skill for the many wedges.  I am using the PW(47), 52, 58 set up right now and it is working rather well. Just have to get more creative with the 52.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I am just curious is it really going to increase spin and how much? Also if that is the case how effective is it in the wet conditions

Like you mentioned in the initial thread... do we really need more spin?  Well according to Cleveland staffer Graham McDowell we do.  Sometimes I think I need less... but maybe I just need more skill.  I did see an uptick in spin from the B-Stones to the PING’s, but that was just fresh grooves vs sand blasted grooves.

 

PING’s are fairly new and should compare well, even being a CB wedge... although I will not have a direct comparison with the PING 46, they didn’t have any when I bought the 52 and 58.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Like you mentioned in the initial thread... do we really need more spin?  Well according to Cleveland staffer Graham McDowell we do.  Sometimes I think I need less... but maybe I just need more skill.  I did see an uptick in spin from the B-Stones to the PING’s, but that was just fresh grooves vs sand blasted grooves.

 

PING’s are fairly new and should compare well, even being a CB wedge... although I will not have a direct comparison with the PING 46, they didn’t have any when I bought the 52 and 58.

I think it’s interesting because could a “spin club” be your specialty club? I had a Mizuno with a spinner shaft and I was getting 5 digit spin ratings (that’s not a typo) not that anyone needs that kind of spin but nonetheless a little extra zip never hurt and for those that need the control this could be a really good club

  • Like 4

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I think it’s interesting because could a “spin club” be your specialty club? I had a Mizuno with a spinner shaft and I was getting 5 digit spin ratings (that’s not a typo) not that anyone needs that kind of spin but nonetheless a little extra zip never hurt and for those that need the control this could be a really good club

I often get lost in the technology "speak" of lofts and spin rates. @Lacassem, your post made me curious what exactly makes a spinner shaft a spinner. The Cleveland site says it's specifically designed for wedge play but doesn't explain what those specifics are. For those of you, like me, who had no idea what the difference is and what it means, I finally found that info on an old 2015 Golf Monthly website: "a small section of the shaft with a thinner diameter is positioned near the grip of the club. And combined with a longer tip section creates extra through impact, increasing spin by up to 500rpm."

The more I'm around MyGolfSpy the more cool stuff I learn. I started out thinking that if this steel shaft doesn't seem to like me, then I can switch it out for a graphite shaft. Now I'm hoping it will like me so much that I'll want to instead switch out my other wedge shafts to these spinners. My brain is already spinning and my new wedge is not even here yet.

  • Like 9

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 and 5 wood, 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; 56/11 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

I often get lost in the technology "speak" of lofts and spin rates. @Lacassem, your post made me curious what exactly makes a spinner shaft a spinner. The Cleveland site says it's specifically designed for wedge play but doesn't explain what those specifics are. For those of you, like me, who had no idea what the difference is and what it means, I finally found that info on an old 2015 Golf Monthly website: "a small section of the shaft with a thinner diameter is positioned near the grip of the club. And combined with a longer tip section creates extra through impact, increasing spin by up to 500rpm."

The more I'm around MyGolfSpy the more cool stuff I learn. I started out thinking that if this steel shaft doesn't seem to like me, then I can switch it out for a graphite shaft. Now I'm hoping it will like me so much that I'll want to instead switch out my other wedge shafts to these spinners. My brain is already spinning and my new wedge is not even here yet.

So I had just bought that club because I needed a sand wedge I had no clue (still don’t really) about what goes into a lot of the technology like shafts, weight placement etc. all I know is when I was fitted I was getting over 15,000 spin rate with that club Granted has to do with my swing and so many other things but still the shaft had some part with that. 

  • Like 3

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been kinda of a crappy day, but my RTX Zipcore got delivered so my day is looking up

  • Like 4
  • Love 3

TaylorMade SIM 9º | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5
Ping G410 3W 14.5º | VA Composites Drago 75 X
Ping G410 3H 18º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Ping G410 4H 22º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-PW | Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland RTX 4 50 Mid, 54 Mid, 60 Full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Evnroll ER5 | BGT Stability Tour
TaylorMade TP5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff guys.  I'm leaning toward getting me a set of these wedges.  I may wait a bit tho..


Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good day,

I got my ZipCore Wedge today!!!  It’s a 58* Mid Grind with 10* Bounce.  I’m very excited to test this out.   I use my current 58* for sand shots, for chips from anywhere outside the fringe all the way up to full shots at 75 yards and mid shots inside 75.  Depending on how initial testing goes with the 58* I’m tempted to pre-order a 54* Mid Grind and a 50* Full Grind to fill out the bag.  I’m open to what the blog suggested by getting my Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Gap Wedge at 50* to be swapped out.  But, alas, I’m getting ahead of myself.  As usual.

I plan on practicing with it today before putting in full play this weekend.  I will be practicing with a variety of balls such as the Srixon Z-Star, Taylormade Tp5, and even the Callaway ERC Soft to determine feel and to check spin characteristics.  For the past two years I’ve been gaming Srixon Z-Star or Z-Star XV. I’ve tried Callaway Chrome Soft and Tp5x. 

Despite playing Cleveland Wedges for 18 of the last 20 years and even their old TA3 irons way back when, I’ve been gaming Callaway Mac Daddy 4 Chrome finished wedges for the last two years. They are both “S” grind and I have 54* and 58*. One drawback is the chrome finish which has too much glare.  I don’t love the Callaway for several reasons.  The raised grooves on the Mac Daddy caused the sound and feel to be very “clicky.”  I prefer a muted and softer sound and feel.  However, as I’ve used them those inverted grooves or protrusions have worn down and it isn’t so loud a click anymore and the feel has softened.

So, I’m super excited to get a Cleveland back in my hands.  I plan on using practice sessions, full 18 hole rounds, some 9 hole Par 3 rounds, and even some launch monitor testing to get concrete numbers.  Now, are their marketing claims true?  Will I get the spin I need or will it be too much?.  Will I get the consistency they claim?  Will the feel and look inspire confidence? Let’s find out!  A big thanks to MyGolfSpy for putting this together and for having me aboard. 

  • Like 8

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrownBearGolf said:

Good day,

I got my ZipCore Wedge today!!!  It’s a 58* Mid Grind with 10* Bounce.  I’m very excited to test this out.   I use my current 58* for sand shots, for chips from anywhere outside the fringe all the way up to full shots at 75 yards and mid shots inside 75.  Depending on how initial testing goes with the 58* I’m tempted to pre-order a 54* Mid Grind and a 50* Full Grind to fill out the bag.  I’m open to what the blog suggested by getting my Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Gap Wedge at 50* to be swapped out.  But, alas, I’m getting ahead of myself.  As usual.

I plan on practicing with it today before putting in full play this weekend.  I will be practicing with a variety of balls such as the Srixon Z-Star, Taylormade Tp5, and even the Callaway ERC Soft to determine feel and to check spin characteristics.  For the past two years I’ve been gaming Srixon Z-Star or Z-Star XV. I’ve tried Callaway Chrome Soft and Tp5x. 

Despite playing Cleveland Wedges for 18 of the last 20 years and even their old TA3 irons way back when, I’ve been gaming Callaway Mac Daddy 4 Chrome finished wedges for the last two years. They are both “S” grind and I have 54* and 58*. One drawback is the chrome finish which has too much glare.  I don’t love the Callaway for several reasons.  The raised grooves on the Mac Daddy caused the sound and feel to be very “clicky.”  I prefer a muted and softer sound and feel.  However, as I’ve used them those inverted grooves or protrusions have worn down and it isn’t so loud a click anymore and the feel has softened.

So, I’m super excited to get a Cleveland back in my hands.  I plan on using practice sessions, full 18 hole rounds, some 9 hole Par 3 rounds, and even some launch monitor testing to get concrete numbers.  Now, are their marketing claims true?  Will I get the spin I need or will it be too much?.  Will I get the consistency they claim?  Will the feel and look inspire confidence? Let’s find out!  A big thanks to MyGolfSpy for putting this together and for having me aboard. 

I love how Cleveland for all these years still keep the general look of their irons the same. They always make wedges that flat out perform

  • Like 4

In my bag:

Driver: :honma: TR20 460 9.5* Vizard TR20 60X

Wood: :mizuno-small: ST200 TS Dimana D+PLUS Limited Edition 70X

Hybrids: :mizuno-small: CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Irons: :honma: TW 747 Rose Proto 4-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :honma: TW-W4 52*, 56*, and 60*Modus Tour 125 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

 Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...