2020 Official Member Review: Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges

Our Sponsors

Dang those look pretty. If y'all keep zipping those back, I might need to unzip the wallet!

200.gif

• Like 6

WITB:

Callaway Rogue - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 915H and 818 H1 Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Taylormade Hi-Toe 58

#ROCKCHALK

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My new wedge actually came in last Thursday night but I couldn't play with it until we adjusted the shaft length. My husband helped me and we trimmed it down 1" Friday night. It took until today for m

I'm not accomplished enough as a player to hit all or even most shots consistently to be able to answer this but I wanted to know also. In the past most of my shots to the green had quite a bit of rol

Got out to the Range yesterday. Did a little Chipping and hit some Full shots.. Here it is compared the the Cobra King Black wedge both are in 58* Mid Bounce/Versatile..  It Seems to be sli

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

A white truck will be delivering... wait, maybe a yellow truck, FedEx leases some Penske trucks here... anyways, the 46° ZipCore that I have decided to call Dr. Evil will be here today.  Hopefully they have the Delorean today so I can get out on the practice area with it.

tenor(10).gif.41958f065d141ac6c001f6acf07d40b2.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5
7 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

tenor(10).gif.41958f065d141ac6c001f6acf07d40b2.gif

Obviously, these are Dr. Evil approved.  I had forgotten about that scene!!!  Hahahaha.

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Obviously, these are Dr. Evil approved.  I had forgotten about that scene!!!  Hahahaha.

I was hoping to get to use that at some point during this review, thank you for the perfect opportunity to do so. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am beginning to think that someone knew that this wedge was in the FedEx truck and hijacked it’s almost and no sign of them... still says out for delivery.

• Like 3

I hit a few shots in the short game area today

The range was closed because there was nobody to pick up the balls

Hit several 30 -40 yard low checking pitch shots to a back pin placement using Srixon Z Star.

It definitely has a different sound than the Cobra I’ve been playing, I’ll try to get some audio later.

I hit 10 shots with the Cobra and gathered up the balls and hit 10 with the ZipCore. The ZipCore definitely produces more spin as the ball was checking on the second bounce then rolling out a few feet.

When I hit that shot with the Cobra I would get 2 full bounces, sometimes 3 before it really checks.

Once I made the adjustment to carry the ball a few yards further I was hitting them inside 5 feet about 85% of the time and I holed out once!

I’m hoping to get on a launch monitor this weekend and get on the course on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

20200807_172721.jpeg.b34b5fc1fbdfde4ed46f2e634242092d.jpeg In the words of jittery Jerge, "Letttsss ggoooo"! My plan is to take it straight to the course this week and I am going to drop an extra ball everytime I need to hit my 54. My current 54 is a brand new Honma TW-W World, which has maybe 200 shots on it mostly off of a mat so very fresh grooves. Itll be a pretty straight up comparison. Anything in particular the good folks out there want to see during this testing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Nice job guys!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I’m taking my RTX ZipCore 60 Full out for a spin today in my men’s club event. I’ll be using it at the ranges I typically do, and will definitely report back on the, ahem, zippiness . More pics coming, but here are a couple of the ZipCore 60 and RTX 60.
190DD5E8-3B03-436B-9BF5-B25E5677BB7D.jpeg.8a8a6df21ac8b5d7ac604c4899a91b12.jpeg
F3378BC9-AAAD-4890-B6C9-8F6A89EC08B7.jpeg.18394cb1f65862ed624bfd20f5d7f57b.jpeg

How’d it handle?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Interesting initial practice session with the 46°.  It was rather windy, around 10-12mph, so what a time to try the knock down.  Oh my gosh can this thing lower the ball flight on command.  75 yard shot that looked like a 2 iron trajectory but stopped on a dime. The was with a left to right wind.

Moved over to the longer approach shot, took it all the way back to 150, and full sent some of them, directly into that wind.  I came up 10 yards short of the 150, but into the wind it didn’t get too hung up. There was a little climb, but overall the ball stayed on a pretty mid trajectory. But a 140 yard into the wind PW?  In my dreams. 

Tried some 50 and in shots and my last name showed up.  Glad to get that out of the way early.  That  has been the biggest struggle since switching the to “single-ish” plane swing, the finesse shots are much more difficult. 

First big issue is the sound of the shaft, as I reported in other wedge reviews, this spinner shaft is supposedly close to the S400 I had in the Hi-Toe, and a little heavier than the S200’s I had in the King wedges. The feel/sound is not good.  The wedge head itself sounds and feels great, but the shaft makes a hollow sound... don’t like that one bit.

• Like 8

Image1596924500.568656.thumb.jpg.cf6bfd923ce3faabf7a00cc003e71101.jpg

Par 4 #7 at Pebble Creek today from 70 yards out after I put the 58* Zipcore into play. First swing of the Zipcore....

Image1596924620.649203.thumb.jpg.2acdceacb55c80908bd36550ef635c5c.jpg

Up close at the 70 yard shot from the Zipcore......and yes, I made the birdie!

Wow was this a great feeling wedge! Was gaming a Q Star with the Tampa Bay Lightning logo.....Go Bolts!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Tour Edge Exotics EXS(11.5*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cobra King F8 LW(58*) w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

• Like 9

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I looks like the V sole grind is less prominent in the new zipcore vs the RTX 4's that I have from testing last year.  Are you guys seeing the same thing and do you think it's a help or hurt in terms of turf interaction? 

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

23 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

I looks like the V sole grind is less prominent in the new zipcore vs the RTX 4's that I have from testing last year.  Are you guys seeing the same thing and do you think it's a help or hurt in terms of turf interaction? 

I hadn’t really paid attention to it actually.  But thinking back, it did feel different than the other clubs do through the turf.  I was taking a bigger divot than normal with a PW.  Not sure where the V-Sole fits into that equation.  

• Like 3
20200807_211645.jpeg it's funny you ask about the grind because that is a big thing I noticed when I first got the club. How it almost seems to have 2 angles on the bottom, in the picture it shows more via the light glare but it is very pronounced. Really hope it doesnt lead to larger divots like@shankster said because if so the greens keepers are going to hate me I already take big divots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5