TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson Harmonized Chipper

ole gray

I had so much fun with this chipper today!  It's MUCH easier to game than the square strike wedge and it has given me some new life around the greens.  It's weighed perfect and you basically use a putting stroke ( which was harder for me with the square strike) and it's amazing how easy it is to chip with.   I will write up a good little review as time progresses for you folks needing help around the greens.  First impression was extremely impressive! 

Wilson-Harmonized-Chipper (1).jpg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Looking forward to your experience w this “Little Guy”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Gotta say it's also better looking than that other green thing 😉

My wife has a chipper and loves it! Almost too much - she likes to use it in places where I think she'd do better with a wedge (but who am I to say? she's the boss! 😜)

Curious to hear how it works for you from fairway, light rough, deep rough, etc.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Round #2 with the chipper:

It took me a bunch of practice with the Square Strike Wedge to become proficient with it. It's 45 degrees and some of the longer shots required you to put in some time around the chipping green.  The Wilson chipper is 32 degrees and is a breeze to chip up to a spot on the green and allow it to run out to the flag. My golfing buddy noticed the excellent results I was getting and ask to hit a shot with it. Right off the cuff from 20 yards off the green he chipped to a three foot circle.  His eyes lit up like a June Bug in a Bass pond. I had different length shots today and had great success with each one. I even had a shot out of a greenside bunker that I punched out right pass the hole.  It was a deep bunker however I had a good uphill lie.  The ball come out high and had some bite once it landed.   My buddy who had tried it earlier, asked me where I bought it.  I sent him a link to Amazon where he could check out all the reviews and decide if he was going to purchase one.  Heck for $49.00 bucks and the opportunity to remove some stress from your game, it's well worth it!  My chipper was hot and my putter was cold.  I missed several short putts and still shot 85. I'll take some good pics a bit later and report back after my round is over tomorrow.  Tired now and it's time to slam down a cold prune juice!

Cleveland

See you’re happy w the Chipper. I’m thinkin’ it’s the Prune Juice that makes this all happen

I had a chipper when I first started playing but I got used to using an 8 iron just as well. It’s what you feel comfortable with I guess.

Rick

Left Hand, 

14 minutes ago, Rickp said:

See you’re happy w the Chipper. I’m thinkin’ it’s the Prune Juice that makes this all happen emoji106.png

I had a chipper when I first started playing but I got used to using an 8 iron just as well. It’s what you feel comfortable with I guess.

Different strokes for different folks. 👍   This chipper's loft is similar to an 8 iron and I like the big ole arse on the bottom.  More bounce per ounce. 😉

Cleveland

Different strokes for different folks.    This chipper's loft is similar to an 8 iron and I like the big ole arse on the bottom.  More bounce per ounce. 

There’s a couple guys here who absolutely love their Chippers.
I’m a simple kinda guy.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Chippers are one of the weirdly divisive clubs in golf.  Personally I'm all in favor of whatever makes someone happy is what they need.  I may try one some day just to see if it's anything game changing.  If not, it won't be like paying for a PXG anything to see if it works better.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Since Thursday was my last round and it was a team scramble format, I didn't have but a couple opportunities to showcase my new toy.  As you all are aware you don't miss many greens when you have four people hitting the same shot. Anyways one of the rare misses we did have I chipped in for a birdie!  I kissed the butt of my chipper and told my playing partners to get some of that! 💣

Cleveland

Since Thursday was my last round and it was a team scramble format, I didn't have but a couple opportunities to showcase my new toy.  As you all are aware you don't miss many greens when you have four people hitting the same shot. Anyways one of the rare misses we did have I chipped in for a birdie!  I kissed the butt of my chipper and told my playing partners to get some of that! 

Honeymoon begins
Bring on the Prune Juice

Rick

Left Hand, 

The bottom of my chipper is showing a little wear,

IMG_1120.JPG

For $49.00 bucks it doesn’t bother me. Heck it’ll make a nice little punch out of the woods weapon.

I added a jumbo grip which feels better in m big ole hands . It’s a fun club as I have saved quite a few strokes to date. It’s not bulletproof as I have skulled a few here and there. Very few chunks thus far.

The rest of my bag and I’m patriotic 100% !

IMG_1121.JPG

More to come with a video when this sticky weather gives me a break! 🥵

Cleveland

The bottom of my chipper is showing a little wear,

IMG_1120.thumb.JPG.c25f5e4dc801b57ba8b6c020dd5d36ad.JPG

For $49.00 bucks it doesn’t bother me. Heck it’ll make a nice little punch out of the woods weapon.

I added a jumbo grip which feels better in m big ole hands . It’s a fun club as I have saved quite a few strokes to date. It’s not bulletproof as I have skilled a few here and there. Very few chunks thus far.

The rest of my bag and I’m patriotic 100% !

IMG_1121.thumb.JPG.783e00f67877b6de0289b203423083b2.JPG

More to come with a video when this sticky weather gives me a break! 🥵

OG, that looks like paint the way it’s chipping.

Rick

Left Hand, 

11 minutes ago, Rickp said:

OG, that looks like paint the way it’s chipping.

You're right buddy. I tried it in a greenside bunker and noticed it right away.  

Cleveland

You're right buddy. I tried it in a greenside bunker and noticed it right away.  

I saw my Buddy’s putter do the same thing. Doesn’t alter performance.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 8/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, ole gray said:

Round #2 with the chipper:

It took me a bunch of practice with the Square Strike Wedge to become proficient with it. It's 45 degrees and some of the longer shots required you to put in some time around the chipping green.  The Wilson chipper is 32 degrees and is a breeze to chip up to a spot on the green and allow it to run out to the flag. My golfing buddy noticed the excellent results I was getting and ask to hit a shot with it. Right off the cuff from 20 yards off the green he chipped to a three foot circle.  His eyes lit up like a June Bug in a Bass pond. I had different length shots today and had great success with each one. I even had a shot out of a greenside bunker that I punched out right pass the hole.  It was a deep bunker however I had a good uphill lie.  The ball come out high and had some bite once it landed.   My buddy who had tried it earlier, asked me where I bought it.  I sent him a link to Amazon where he could check out all the reviews and decide if he was going to purchase one.  Heck for $49.00 bucks and the opportunity to remove some stress from your game, it's well worth it!  My chipper was hot and my putter was cold.  I missed several short putts and still shot 85. I'll take some good pics a bit later and report back after my round is over tomorrow.  Tired now and it's time to slam down a cold prune juice!

So I don't regularly carry a chipper but I like to experiment and occasionally bait my more arrogant friends into a chipping contest or two and so I will carry one in my bag for that.

I do have several chippers that I have either built (component) and/or acquired over the years. I have both you reference. The square strike is interesting imo. At least for me. Its very upright and as you say about 45 deg. I like to tinker and practice with them very much. I bought a 100 gram back weight from Golf Works (the cheap lead ones that are four putters / less than $5 and inserted it under a new Lamkin Wedge grip (the one that is about an inch or two longer than regular grips). That modified square strike wedge is amazing right off the first cut of the green. The area that looks like you should go ahead and putt but you know there is that one piece of turf that will alter the ball if you do putt. That is where that thing is gold. It puts just right amount of force on the ball to roll through that part of the fringe if you do the putting stroke. And its very good for chipping a little further back imo. Where I struggle even though it has more loft than most of my chippers is the ones in which I have to get a little height. I get the right height but the ball bites and does not release predictable (sometimes it rolls out too far and sometimes its like I hit a lob wedge). That is my experience with the Square Strike. I much prefer the 35 deg loft range for chippers as I can play the roll out I prefer. The Wilson is a good little one to begin with. I would just change the grip that comes on them. But its consistent and  IMO does what chippers are designed to do. 

10 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

So I don't regularly carry a chipper but I like to experiment and occasionally bait my more arrogant friends into a chipping contest or two and so I will carry one in my bag for that.

I do have several chippers that I have either built (component) and/or acquired over the years. I have both you reference. The square strike is interesting imo. At least for me. Its very upright and as you say about 45 deg. I like to tinker and practice with them very much. I bought a 100 gram back weight from Golf Works (the cheap lead ones that are four putters / less than $5 and inserted it under a new Lamkin Wedge grip (the one that is about an inch or two longer than regular grips). That modified square strike wedge is amazing right off the first cut of the green. The area that looks like you should go ahead and putt but you know there is that one piece of turf that will alter the ball if you do putt. That is where that thing is gold. It puts just right amount of force on the ball to roll through that part of the fringe if you do the putting stroke. And its very good for chipping a little further back imo. Where I struggle even though it has more loft than most of my chippers is the ones in which I have to get a little height. I get the right height but the ball bites and does not release predictable (sometimes it rolls out too far and sometimes its like I hit a lob wedge). That is my experience with the Square Strike. I much prefer the 35 deg loft range for chippers as I can play the roll out I prefer. The Wilson is a good little one to begin with. I would just change the grip that comes on them. But its consistent and  IMO does what chippers are designed to do. 

There are many folks who turn their nose up at chippers because they figure they either have the skill or will acquire the skill without the help of a gimmicky club.  I just grin while raking in those skins during our weekly game.  For me the chippers with the big butts take away my fear of the yips.  It's a mental thing for me and with the skills I acquire with practice, leads to more and more confidence.  The problem I see with chippers and new owners is they think it's an instant fix right from the get go.  They chunk or skull a few and think this this frigging thing is no better than any iron in my bag.  You have to work with it folks.  It's not an instant cure .   Glad to see you have gained success with your chippers and that weight thing with the square strike sounds like a solid plan!

Cleveland

There are many folks who turn their nose up at chippers because they figure they either have the skill or will acquire the skill without the help of a gimmicky club.  I just grin while raking in those skins during our weekly game.  For me the chippers with the big butts take away my fear of the yips.  It's a mental thing for me and with the skills I acquire with practice, leads to more and more confidence.  The problem I see with chippers and new owners is they think it's an instant fix right from the get go.  They chunk or skull a few and think this this frigging thing is no better than any iron in my bag.  You have to work with it folks.  It's not an instant cure .   Glad to see you have gained success with your chippers and that weight thing with the square strike sounds like a solid plan!

I would play a “garden rake” if it would make me play better

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

I would play a “garden rake” if it would make me play betteremoji106.png

In a skinny minute 💣

Cleveland

On 8/5/2020 at 2:22 PM, ole gray said:

....  His eyes lit up like a June Bug in a Bass pond....

I actually know what that reference is to. one of my favorite bass lures...that and senkos...ha ha ha...Does the chipper work in sand ?  I suck getting out of sand.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

6 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

I actually know what that reference is to. one of my favorite bass lures...that and senkos...ha ha ha...Does the chipper work in sand ?  I suck getting out of sand.

MDGolfHacker

Surprisingly it does better than I 'd imagined. I had read one of the reviews prior to purchase about how one of the reviewers was talking about how well it worked out of the sand.  Well with the amount of loft it has I was thinking this person was liquored up on stump juice.   I decided to give it a go the first time I hit a good sized cat box and low and behold the ball popped out like a champ.  I haven't tried it on a downhill lie however on flat and especially uphill lies it gets it done. 

Cleveland

Hey folks update on the chipper. It's going to be a permanent fixture in my bag.  I've had enough playing time with it to feel very comfortable with  gaming it on several different distances.   The thing just flat out works for me.  I installed a jumbo grip on it and it's soooooooo comfortable and ingrains confidence in my greenside game.   I will try to shoot a brief video today prior to teeing off showing the technique that works great for me.

Cleveland

• 2 months later...

Brought out a relic from the 70's/80's a MacGregor Nicklaus chipper. It's almost blade like so it's hard to tell whether I have an iron or chipper. An old and now new secret weapon. 

After a bout of the yips, I have no problem using and enjoying this thing. It's really useful just off the green an area that I always had a problem with.

I must have put this away in my 20's as I was getting sh*t from my buddies. 

Edited by NC Golfer

• 1 month later...

I picked up a Doug Sanders 35-degree chipper a while ago in a set of clubs I bought just to get the bag. Decided to play around with it in February and the darn thing was way more consistent for me from 100 yards and in. So unless I have a greenside trap to go over I play the chipper. Also works pretty good out of the traps now as they don't get raked by the grounds crew during Covid. 

Pete

• 1 month later...

Putting my Wilson back in play today as it's a good little tool for those matted down butt headed lies you get during the winter months.  My chipping always goes south and I mean pass Georgia during the dormant months...   

Cleveland

Played in  a little scramble yesterday and we were short right about 30 yards on a par five. After everyone else misfired I took my little Wilson birdie grabber and punched the ball up to a foot of the hole. Booyah! 💣

Cleveland

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

Played in  a little scramble yesterday and we were short right about 30 yards on a par five. After everyone else misfired I took my little Wilson birdie grabber and punched the ball up to a foot of the hole. Booyah! 💣

I'm glad you bumped this thread.  I was just wondering the other day what happened to you and the "pocket picker."  Now I know it got replaced and I don't have to wonder any more.

However, I do have to wonder if I should put my Mitsushiba chipper in the bag and try it out of the sand...

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

1 hour ago, 00sportsman said:

I'm glad you bumped this thread.  I was just wondering the other day what happened to you and the "pocket picker."  Now I know it got replaced and I don't have to wonder any more.

However, I do have to wonder if I should put my Mitsushiba chipper in the bag and try it out of the sand...

I still have my pocket picker however it works better for me when the grass is green. It has the 45 degree loft and does a great job of pitches needing elevation. The Wilson's loft is like an eight iron and works great on the dormant, muddy, and yucky lies we get during the winter months.  

Cleveland