Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Spin Rates

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I might be able to find how much spin I am getting off the driver (GG, etc.)

I hit it pretty well with my 2017 Taylormade M1 in Neutral settings (260ish average, can get 285-290 on the screws), but sometimes I feel like it might be spinning much more than the fitter's "ideal" 2000 RPM mark.  I love the driver and don't want to switch, but I want to know what my average numbers are without getting a fitting (as opposed to just guessing and moving all the weights around).

Thanks All

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

2 minutes ago, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

I hit it pretty well with my 2017 Taylormade M1 in Neutral settings (260ish average, can get 285-290 on the screws), but sometimes I feel like it might be spinning much more than the fitter's "ideal" 2000 RPM mark.  I love the driver and don't want to switch, but I want to know what my average numbers are without getting a fitting (as opposed to just guessing and moving all the weights around).

The only way that I'm aware of is to use a good quality launch monitor.  But be careful about what you shoot for, 2000 RPM isn't ideal for most of us normal people.  My swing speed is around 100 mph or slightly lower, and my ideal spin rate with a driver is closer to 3000 RPM.  You can find a chart published by Trackment here:

https://trackman.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006035208-Driver-Optimization

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The only way that I'm aware of is to use a good quality launch monitor.  But be careful about what you shoot for, 2000 RPM isn't ideal for most of us normal people.  My swing speed is around 100 mph or slightly lower, and my ideal spin rate with a driver is closer to 3000 RPM.  You can find a chart published by Trackment here:

https://trackman.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006035208-Driver-Optimization

That's a really awesome chart.  I'm right in the 100-105 mph range so that helps substantially.  Thank you 

Another thing you may want to look at is the ball you are gaming because depending on the ball you it may be increasing your spin rate. For example a Pro v1 vs a 1x,  the 1x actually has a higher spin rate according to the reviews I have seen.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

1 hour ago, Firebird said:

Another thing you may want to look at is the ball you are gaming because depending on the ball you it may be increasing your spin rate. For example a Pro v1 vs a 1x,  the 1x actually has a higher spin rate according to the reviews I have seen.

It does.  But honestly the differemce off the tee is negligible and for the average golfer, it won't effect performance much at all. 

Driver head and of course swing will have the largest impact. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

15 hours ago, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I might be able to find how much spin I am getting off the driver (GG, etc.)

Thanks All

I don’t know any fitter than has an ideal mark of 2000. Spin has to go hand in hand with launch and speed. Lower speeds will benefit from more spin and higher speeds depending on their launch angle could benefit from lower but what that lower and higher end is will be dependent on the golfer. The best is to optimize both. 

The chase for lower spin can come with unwanted consequences.  

B45FF080-D7DD-4A76-A79D-40A471743185.jpeg

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

58 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t know any fitter than has an ideal mark of 2000. Spin has to go hand in hand with launch and speed. Lower speeds will benefit from more spin and higher speeds depending on their launch angle could benefit from lower but what that lower and higher end is will be dependent on the golfer. The best is to optimize both. 

The chase for lower spin can come with unwanted consequences.  

B45FF080-D7DD-4A76-A79D-40A471743185.jpeg

That chart is perfect, my next question is just where do I go to figure out what my current numbers are so that I can then make tweaks and  get them to optimal

4 minutes ago, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

That chart is perfect, my next question is just where do I go to figure out what my current numbers are so that I can then make tweaks and  get them to optimal

Find a launch monitor that’s not at a big box store. Some places have bays where they rent out that have launch monitors in although some places like 2ndswing golf has been closed for that. Top tracer has a lots of ranges you could check their website to see if one is near you.

You could go to a fitter and/or demo day and compare what you have to what’s out there and get your numbers that way.

When you look at your ball flight with driver. What does the ball do when it reaches its apex? Does it rise up and drop out of the sky? Does it kind of knuckle? Does it it ride its apex for while? 

So I’m assuming the numbers in your original post are your total distance on the course since you probably don’t have someone standing in the fairway at a marked off distance watching where the ball hits, so I would venture to guess that unless you are swinging above 112-115 your spin isn’t really a problem. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Find a launch monitor that’s not at a big box store. Some places have bays where they rent out that have launch monitors in although some places like 2ndswing golf has been closed for that. Top tracer has a lots of ranges you could check their website to see if one is near you.

You could go to a fitter and/or demo day and compare what you have to what’s out there and get your numbers that way.

When you look at your ball flight with driver. What does the ball do when it reaches its apex? Does it rise up and drop out of the sky? Does it kind of knuckle? Does it it ride its apex for while? 

So I’m assuming the numbers in your original post are your total distance on the course since you probably don’t have someone standing in the fairway at a marked off distance watching where the ball hits, so I would venture to guess that unless you are swinging above 112-115 your spin isn’t really a problem. 

Total distance yes.  Like I said I hit it pretty far with a relatively mid-high launch -  but sometimes I feel like it gets up in the air and sits there, almost like its stopping and not going much further (Which is why I was thinking it might be spinning a tad too much).

I have some buddies with low liner flight and they roll to maybe 10 yards further than me, and I feel like with the launch I have, coupled with a good strike, should be able to go another 15-20 yards. Maybe I am just nitpicking or maybe im jealous (or both)

1 hour ago, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

Total distance yes.  Like I said I hit it pretty far with a relatively mid-high launch -  but sometimes I feel like it gets up in the air and sits there, almost like its stopping and not going much further (Which is why I was thinking it might be spinning a tad too much).

I have some buddies with low liner flight and they roll to maybe 10 yards further than me, and I feel like with the launch I have, coupled with a good strike, should be able to go another 15-20 yards. Maybe I am just nitpicking or maybe im jealous (or both)

Based on that description it’s possible you are spinning too much but it could easily be strike location that causes that. A ball that seems like it hits a wall then drops or one that gets to the apex and then just keeps going up aka ballooning is usually indicative of too much spin. 

Another aspect that many overlook is descent or land angle. The terms vary by launch monitor but refer to the same thing, with driver somewhere in the 35-40* range and I’ve seen some say up to 45* is optimal. The lower that is the more a ball will run but also the potential for less carry is there. 

So if you do get a chance to get on a monitor angle of attack, launch, spin, spin loft and descent angle are things to look at it. Try to determine your contact spot on the face with the shots as well so you have an idea how they correlate between numbers and where you hit it.

What shaft do you play and what weight and flex is it?

Based on that description it’s possible you are spinning too much but it could easily be strike location that causes that. A ball that seems like it hits a wall then drops or one that gets to the apex and then just keeps going up aka ballooning is usually indicative of too much spin. 

Another aspect that many overlook is descent or land angle. The terms vary by launch monitor but refer to the same thing, with driver somewhere in the 35-40* range and I’ve seen some say up to 45* is optimal. The lower that is the more a ball will run but also the potential for less carry is there. 

So if you do get a chance to get on a monitor angle of attack, launch, spin, spin loft and descent angle are things to look at it. Try to determine your contact spot on the face with the shots as well so you have an idea how they correlate between numbers and where you hit it.

What shaft do you play and what weight and flex is it?

Currently in a Tensei CK Blue 60g Stiff which I believe is mid launch mid spin version.

I also have a HZRDUS Smoke 70g stiff which is low launch and spin but kind of prefer the feeling of the slightly lighter Tensei

22 minutes ago, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

Currently in a Tensei CK Blue 60g Stiff which I believe is mid launch mid spin version.

I also have a HZRDUS Smoke 70g stiff which is low launch and spin but kind of prefer the feeling of the slightly lighter Tensei

What color is the hzrdus lettering painted in?

I could see that and most of the hzrdus smoke have stiff ei profile and stuff tips. a The ck blue has a soft tip And stiff butt from what I recall and is a higher torque so it’s going to offer a different feel. It’s possible the soft tip is leading to additional spin and something with a stiffer tip would help that. Bit as we’ve discussed without seeing launch numbers it’s hard to say what’s what. 

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What color is the hzrdus lettering painted in?

I could see that and most of the hzrdus smoke have stiff ei profile and stuff tips. a The ck blue has a soft tip And stiff butt from what I recall and is a higher torque so it’s going to offer a different feel. It’s possible the soft tip is leading to additional spin and something with a stiffer tip would help that. Bit as we’ve discussed without seeing launch numbers it’s hard to say what’s what. 

its a smoke black.

You're right- probably best thing to do would be to bring club with both shafts to a place that provides a monitor and figure out which one offers the ideal numbers I am looking for.

Just now, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

its a smoke black.

You're right- probably best thing to do would be to bring club with both shafts to a place that provides a monitor and figure out which one offers the ideal numbers I am looking for.

Yeah the smoke black like the original is pretty harsh feeling. I was surprised the smoke green non tx felt better.

i wouldn’t focus so much on the numbers you are looking for if you are going based on the 2000 rpm mentioned earlier. The ideal is what works best for you swing. Pros look for something in the 11-12* launch and 2500ish spin.

For me my best results have come from something in the 13-15* and 2300-2500 ranges. I swing in the 102-105 range.

When I was getting fit for the m5/6 drivers my launch was in the 14-15 range consistently with both heads but spin was consistently in the 1800-2000 range. Could I have played that Either of those drivers? Yup but the low spin I knew on days when my swing is off the on course results would be not so playable. 

Yeah the smoke black like the original is pretty harsh feeling. I was surprised the smoke green non tx felt better.

i wouldn’t focus so much on the numbers you are looking for if you are going based on the 2000 rpm mentioned earlier. The ideal is what works best for you swing. Pros look for something in the 11-12* launch and 2500ish spin.

For me my best results have come from something in the 13-15* and 2300-2500 ranges. I swing in the 102-105 range.

When I was getting fit for the m5/6 drivers my launch was in the 14-15 range consistently with both heads but spin was consistently in the 1800-2000 range. Could I have played that Either of those drivers? Yup but the low spin I knew on days when my swing is off the on course results would be not so playable. 

My lack of expertise definitely is why I said 2000 there haha I had just read that somewhere.  The charts above helped.  I am probably similar numbers to you and I can't complain with 260-280 yard drives that are consistently a nice little fade, was just left wondering If I could squeeze that lemon for just a bit more juice!

47 minutes ago, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

My lack of expertise definitely is why I said 2000 there haha I had just read that somewhere.  The charts above helped.  I am probably similar numbers to you and I can't complain with 260-280 yard drives that are consistently a nice little fade, was just left wondering If I could squeeze that lemon for just a bit more juice!

Cool, just wanted to make sure we were talking the same “ideal”.

Based on what you are describing about your ball flight it sounds like you are giving up some yardage due to the way the ball reacts at the apex, how much hard to say but I wouldn’t be surprised if you couldn’t find 10 yards of carry. I don’t pay too much attention to total because that’s going to vary from course to course and even from day to day on the same course depending on the course conditions.

If you have a descent angle in that 35-40* range then your totally yardage is going to be optimized. 

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Cool, just wanted to make sure we were talking the same “ideal”.

Based on what you are describing about your ball flight it sounds like you are giving up some yardage due to the way the ball reacts at the apex, how much hard to say but I wouldn’t be surprised if you couldn’t find 10 yards of carry. I don’t pay too much attention to total because that’s going to vary from course to course and even from day to day on the same course depending on the course conditions.

If you have a descent angle in that 35-40* range then your totally yardage is going to be optimized. 

Truly appreciate the input.  I just remembered that for the past year I have actually had both of the M1 weights in the way back (most forgiving setting/ highest launch and spin).  Maybe I will tinker with moving one forward a bit and just see what I think of the flight using the eyeball test. 

3 minutes ago, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

Truly appreciate the input.  I just remembered that for the past year I have actually had both of the M1 weights in the way back (most forgiving setting/ highest launch and spin).  Maybe I will tinker with moving one forward a bit and just see what I think of the flight using the eyeball test. 

If you put one of them up front you should see a slight reduction in spin. It could be 200-500 rpm (this is player swing dependent). I would start with one in the middle all the way to the front, see what that does and if needed then move the second one up half way first

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 5:14 AM, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

One way to see if you have low or high spin is trying the Titleist AVX ball. That ball is the lowest spinning ball I have found. 

If your spin with your current ball and club are optimised then the AVX will fly less distance. 

If you are creating more spin than optimal then the AVX will fly farther because it has less spin. 

I picked up 20 yards on my drives with the AVX. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg