TESTERS WANTED! ×

Seeking Iron Recommendations

DJ Mico

I currently game an old set of Titleist DCI 762 irons and am desperately looking to upgrade. I don’t need the absolute newest irons, but at least want a set made somewhat recently (at least in the last decade). I‘ve played off and on for a couple of years, but I’ve really been consistently playing a round or two every week since May. I am about a 12 handicap/usually shoot in the mid to high 80s. My current set is shafted with DG S300. I am looking for with my next irons to offer more distance and forgiveness like a GI iron, but maintains the look of a players' iron. Since my clubs are so dated, the lofts are very weak compared to my buddies I play with, and my irons punish me for slight mishits.

In terms of my iron play, I strike my PW up to my 7 iron fairly consistently and with my shot being medium/high with a slight draw. My misses tend to be when I get a little fast on my downswing and I either keep my face open and slice, or I tend to overcompensate my slice and hook my next iron shot before finding my rhythm again. I carry my 7 iron (34º) about 155-160 and my PW (46º) carries about 115. If I can get within the 155-160 range, I have confidence that I am only a shot and at worst 2 putts from finishing the hole. I hit my long okay, but I have bad habit of trying to swing too hard and slicing them. I also end up fatting a lot of my longer irons, but since taking lessons, I have started to correct these mistakes. I have gained confidence with my longer irons to hit a couple of good shots a round with them, but I still mishit my 3–6 more than I would like.

I have been looking at new and older models of Callaway Apex, Mizuno JPX forged, JPX hot metal, Mizuno MMC, Taylormade P790, Titleist T100S or T200, Sub70 699, and Wilson D7 forged. I've also done the PING nFlight fitting and was recommended i210s or i200s, and I have also heard good things about Srixon's line of irons. I have been able to find sets for all of those listed and others at comparable prices, so in terms of just the irons alone, which of those—or other models not mentioned—are the most highly recommended? I am planning on going to demo some of these clubs so I can narrow my field of what I like or don't like, but I am just looking for recommendations from anyone that has or has had some of these irons. 

I am also curious about shaft choice. I am not as researched on shafts and different specifications among them. My current set and my dad's set of Mizuno T-Zoids I used to borrow both have the DG S300 shafts, so those are all I really know. I know I need to do more research and probably need to get fitted, but I have read that different clubs work better or worse with different shafts. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks for all the help!

Driver:titleist-small: TSR3 9° (Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X)

Woods: (3W:titleist-small: TSi2 15° (Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7S); (7W:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 21° (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S) 

4 Hybrid:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 22° (Fujikura Ventus Blue HY 80S)

5i-6i:taylormade-small: P770 (Nippon Modus3 105 S)

7i-PW:Miura: CB-301 (Nippon Modus3 105 S) 

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 4.0 50 S & 54 S (Nippon Modus3 105 S); Glide Forged Eye2 59 (Nippon Ping Z-Z115)

Putter:odyssey-small: Toulon Design Las Vegas H7 (BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar)

All Clubs Equipped with :Arccos:

I currently game an old set of Titleist DCI 762 irons and am desperately looking to upgrade. I don’t need the absolute newest irons, but at least want a set made somewhat recently (at least in the last decade). I‘ve played off and on for a couple of years, but I’ve really been consistently playing a round or two every week since May. I am about a 12 handicap/usually shoot in the mid to high 80s. My current set is shafted with DG S300. I am looking for with my next irons to offer more distance and forgiveness like a GI iron, but maintains the look of a players' iron. Since my clubs are so dated, the lofts are very weak compared to my buddies I play with, and my irons punish me for slight mishits.

In terms of my iron play, I strike my PW up to my 7 iron fairly consistently and with my shot being medium/high with a slight draw. My misses tend to be when I get a little fast on my downswing and I either keep my face open and slice, or I tend to overcompensate my slice and hook my next iron shot before finding my rhythm again. I carry my 7 iron (34º) about 155-160 and my PW (46º) carries about 115. If I can get within the 155-160 range, I have confidence that I am only a shot and at worst 2 putts from finishing the hole. I hit my long okay, but I have bad habit of trying to swing too hard and slicing them. I also end up fatting a lot of my longer irons, but since taking lessons, I have started to correct these mistakes. I have gained confidence with my longer irons to hit a couple of good shots a round with them, but I still mishit my 3–6 more than I would like.

I have been looking at new and older models of Callaway Apex, Mizuno JPX forged, JPX hot metal, Mizuno MMC, Taylormade P790, Titleist T100S or T200, Sub70 699, and Wilson D7 forged. I've also done the PING nFlight fitting and was recommended i210s or i200s, and I have also heard good things about Srixon's line of irons. I have been able to find sets for all of those listed and others at comparable prices, so in terms of just the irons alone, which of those—or other models not mentioned—are the most highly recommended? I am planning on going to demo some of these clubs so I can narrow my field of what I like or don't like, but I am just looking for recommendations from anyone that has or has had some of these irons. 

I am also curious about shaft choice. I am not as researched on shafts and different specifications among them. My current set and my dad's set of Mizuno T-Zoids I used to borrow both have the DG S300 shafts, so those are all I really know. I know I need to do more research and probably need to get fitted, but I have read that different clubs work better or worse with different shafts. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks for all the help!

I210s or AP2 718 (T100 is also hot right now) the theme is forgiveness in a smaller package.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

AppGator

Driver: Callaway FT-9 Aldila NV 65 (9 degrees, Stiff)

Woods: Titleist 910Fd Fairway (17.5 degrees, Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G Hybrid Alta Shaft (22 degrees, Regular)

Irons: Ping I E1 Regular AWT 2.0 Black Dot, 5 Iron 38.00" 26 degrees, 6 Iron 37.50" 29 degrees, 7 Iron 37.00" 32 degrees, 8 Iron 36.50" 36 degrees, 9 Iron 36.00" 41 degrees, PW     35.50" 45 degrees

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degrees, F, Titleist Vokey SM7 54 degrees, S, Titleist Vokey SM7 58 degrees, D, Cleveland RTX 2.0 54.12 degrees, Cobra Tour Trusty 58.10 degrees

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Blade

Right-handed

Raleigh, NC

15 hcp

I know it's probably not on your radar at all.. but another smaller DTC brand that's worth checking out is Maltby.

They have a pretty broad lineup ranging from Players to GI's. Ralph Maltby designs all of the clubs and works a lot of game improvement magic into everything.

You'll find a pretty enthusiastic and knowledgeable group of Maltby players here on MGS. Why haven't you heard of them? Because Maltby wants to keep it that way.. I guess.

I just just picked up this TS1 3 iron and plan to have the rest of the set built by year's end. It's similar to a TM P760. Filled with polymer and has a tungsten toe weight. Lofts are stronger but no

A full set of these will run $550 for 8 clubs with the TT DG S300 shafts. The other club you see is a 56° that I just built. It's the best wedge I've ever played!

Their whole lineup is just outstanding and definitely worth a look.

0804201012a.jpeg0804201011a.jpeg0804201010a.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

6 hours ago, DJ Mico said:

Thanks for all the help!

So many options and sure many will chime in here with great advice. My recommendation based on your write up would be a fitted set of Ping I210's. The fitting part definitely can assist you, educate you regarding shaft specs for your swing. The fitting also can help identify the distance gaps between clubs you require. Of course you will know by feel and looks what you would like, let the testing and fitting get them dialed in. Good luck. Oh and btw you can buy used and still get yourself a fitting (ideal length) and have clubs tweaked (loft/lie angles) as needed. 

So many options and sure many will chime in here with great advice. My recommendation based on your write up would be a fitted set of Ping I210's. The fitting part definitely can assist you, educate you regarding shaft specs for your swing. The fitting also can help identify the distance gaps between clubs you require. Of course you will know by feel and looks what you would like, let the testing and fitting get them dialed in. Good luck. Oh and btw you can buy used and still get yourself a fitting (ideal length) and have clubs tweaked (loft/lie angles) as needed. 
Ping has a new tele- fitting program using Zoom for FREE

AppGator

Driver: Callaway FT-9 Aldila NV 65 (9 degrees, Stiff)

Woods: Titleist 910Fd Fairway (17.5 degrees, Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G Hybrid Alta Shaft (22 degrees, Regular)

Irons: Ping I E1 Regular AWT 2.0 Black Dot, 5 Iron 38.00" 26 degrees, 6 Iron 37.50" 29 degrees, 7 Iron 37.00" 32 degrees, 8 Iron 36.50" 36 degrees, 9 Iron 36.00" 41 degrees, PW     35.50" 45 degrees

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degrees, F, Titleist Vokey SM7 54 degrees, S, Titleist Vokey SM7 58 degrees, D, Cleveland RTX 2.0 54.12 degrees, Cobra Tour Trusty 58.10 degrees

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Blade

Right-handed

Raleigh, NC

15 hcp

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

I know it's probably not on your radar at all.. but another smaller DTC brand that's worth checking out is Maltby.

They have a pretty broad lineup ranging from Players to GI's. Ralph Maltby designs all of the clubs and works a lot of game improvement magic into everything.

You'll find a pretty enthusiastic and knowledgeable group of Maltby players here on MGS. Why haven't you heard of them? Because Maltby wants to keep it that way.. I guess.

I just just picked up this TS1 3 iron and plan to have the rest of the set built by year's end. It's similar to a TM P760. Filled with polymer and has a tungsten toe weight. Lofts are stronger but no

A full set of these will run $550 for 8 clubs with the TT DG S300 shafts. The other club you see is a 56° that I just built. It's the best wedge I've ever played!

Their whole lineup is just outstanding and definitely worth a look.

0804201012a.jpeg0804201011a.jpeg0804201010a.jpeg

I have not heard of them, but I will definitely look more into it! Those do look damn good, and a full set for $550 sounds pretty good. Thank you!

Woods: (3W:titleist-small: TSi2 15° (Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7S); (7W:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 21° (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S) 

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 4.0 50 S & 54 S (Nippon Modus3 105 S); Glide Forged Eye2 59 (Nippon Ping Z-Z115)

1 hour ago, aerospace_ray said:

I actually did the PING nFlight fitting a while back and was recommended into green dot i210s, and my local shop is a renowned PING fitter that just started doing in-person fittings again. My birthday is in September, so I will definitely be going in for a fitting and doing demoing before then. The last set of PING irons I had were some hand-me-down PING Zings (it seems I oddly have a thing for using dated clubs). Thanks!

52 minutes ago, AppGator said:

Ping has a new tele- fitting program using Zoom for FREE

Thanks! I saw Callaway is also doing something similar. My local shop is a certified and renowned PING fitter, and they just re-opened for in-person fittings recently. I will definitely take advantage of these free fittings.

I have not heard of them, but I will definitely look more into it! Those do look damn good, and a full set for $550 sounds pretty good. Thank you!
Here is the link to check out their lineup. The TS2s might be worth checking out too. The DBMs are great and are my alternate set. They have woods, wedges, hybrids, and even putters.

https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Titleist AP3 is great players distance iron if your a Titleist guy, and they’re much cheaper now that the T-100 & T-200 are out...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Your best bet is to go to a brand-agnostic fitter, try them all and see what yields the best numbers for you and also fits your eye and inspires confidence.

We can all make recommendations, but they're subjective recommendations based largely on our own perceptions and experiences, based on our swings.  As MGS often says, be your own brand and take the time to find out what brand fits you best.

That said, don't be afraid to look into direct-to-consumer brands like Hogan or Sub70.  (In fact go to Official Reviews and check our the Sub70 review going on right now.)  I'm not certain but often the DTC's will send you a 7 iron to try out, but even then I would go get some baseline numbers via a good fitting so you get into the right shaft.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

718 Ap2 or maybe JPX 900 forged if you are looking to save a few bucks

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length