Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Distance control with irons ???

After a layoff of about 1 1/2 years due to a couple of surgeries I am back out on the courses banging away.  I used to be a single digit handy but now after the surgeries and the piling on of the years find that distance control with the irons is a wee bit of a struggle.  I'm back in the gym getting stronger and working on flexibility in the hips and shoulders with PT but have a real challenge pulling the correct iron.  The quality of contact is getting better, chipping is very solid and putting hasn't been better, but those irons???

If I have a 150 yard approach to the center of the green and the flag is in the center I have to reflect on the previous 2-3 approach shots to check on the quality of the shot.  If things are clicking along just right then it's a the same club selection as it was two years ago (same irons)  If things aren't being pure then I need to add the next longer irons.  Sure enough it seems like if I try to jump on a 8 iron it ends up short and if I smooth a 7 iron in there it's back back and over the green.  It's like a lottery on which club to pull..

I know that more practice is part of the answer but any suggestions or tips would be swell.

SIM2 Max Driver 10.5* Ventus 5-S

Cobra Rad Speed 3W 14.5* Evenflow Riptide CB Stiff

Ping G  4W 17.5* Ping Alta Reg

TM Ti  5W 19* Diamana FW 65 Reg

Titleist T-300 5-PW Amt Red Stiff

Vokey SM7 Wedges 46*  56*  60*

Ping Zing/Anser putter  85020/85029// TM Spider SR#9 Flo Neck

Titleist Pro V-1x 

I always expect a high quality of strike, I wouldn't think about my last couple strikes when thinking about my next shot as it would just get in my head.

On every shot I only try to anticipate the quality of strike if the lie is bad otherwise I take my club I would expect on a normal good strike.

Is there a chance returning with the MP68s may be causing some distance control confidence issue? If you dont hit them will there is a pretty decent drop off in distance correct?

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

This is simply the challenge of the game. We don’t always hit clubs well and sometimes we hit them better than normal. It comes down to understanding your actual dispersion pattern with each club and selecting appropriately.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

This is simply the challenge of the game. We don’t always hit clubs well and sometimes we hit them better than normal. It comes down to understanding your actual dispersion pattern with each club and selecting appropriately.

Exactly and then learning to hit different shot types with clubs makes the challenge even tougher but also fun. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Practice will definitely help, it sounds like you don't trust yourself to make a good swing at it.  I would hit the club you think will get there with a good swing, if that starts coming up short, with a good swing, then go longer.  Most of the time you are better missing short than long

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 8:48 AM, Flip4000 said:

I always expect a high quality of strike, I wouldn't think about my last couple strikes when thinking about my next shot as it would just get in my head.

On every shot I only try to anticipate the quality of strike if the lie is bad otherwise I take my club I would expect on a normal good strike.

Is there a chance returning with the MP68s may be causing some distance control confidence issue? If you dont hit them will there is a pretty decent drop off in distance correct?

Your question about the MP68's is spot on and one that was tumbling around in my head but the thought of returning to prior form pushed it to the back.

I decided to buy a set of perimeter weighted player's irons and am awaiting their delivery today.  I've even thought about getting a new hybrid, M3, with a regular shaft to get the height that used to be with me.  The driver is working great and with a lot of confidence which leads to more and more great drives.  The only problem with the driver is when i feel like I bombed it i go find it usually on the fairway, but it is about 240-260 when it used to be 270-290, old age is the berries.

SIM2 Max Driver 10.5* Ventus 5-S

Cobra Rad Speed 3W 14.5* Evenflow Riptide CB Stiff

Ping G  4W 17.5* Ping Alta Reg

TM Ti  5W 19* Diamana FW 65 Reg

Titleist T-300 5-PW Amt Red Stiff

Vokey SM7 Wedges 46*  56*  60*

Ping Zing/Anser putter  85020/85029// TM Spider SR#9 Flo Neck

Titleist Pro V-1x 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 4:45 PM, Scotland blue said:

After a layoff of about 1 1/2 years due to a couple of surgeries I am back out on the courses banging away.  I used to be a single digit handy but now after the surgeries and the piling on of the years find that distance control with the irons is a wee bit of a struggle.  I'm back in the gym getting stronger and working on flexibility in the hips and shoulders with PT but have a real challenge pulling the correct iron.  The quality of contact is getting better, chipping is very solid and putting hasn't been better, but those irons???

If I have a 150 yard approach to the center of the green and the flag is in the center I have to reflect on the previous 2-3 approach shots to check on the quality of the shot.  If things are clicking along just right then it's a the same club selection as it was two years ago (same irons)  If things aren't being pure then I need to add the next longer irons.  Sure enough it seems like if I try to jump on a 8 iron it ends up short and if I smooth a 7 iron in there it's back back and over the green.  It's like a lottery on which club to pull..

I know that more practice is part of the answer but any suggestions or tips would be swell.

If I had to guess then it's possible you overswung on your 8i causing a miss of the sweet spot. At least this happens to me. 

My smooth, stock swing is really about a 3/4 swing that goes 95% of my all out swing. If I am hitting into a green then I try not to hit full swings because I am not as consistent on full swings. 

When I practice, I practice my approach swing and even push myself with full swings. During a round I rely on my stock 3/4 rotating swing to hit the greens.

Instead of trying to get more out of a club I would rather club up and just smooth it on the green. 

My guess is you could probably have put the 7i swing on the 8i and it would have been right on. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 8/22/2020 at 12:03 AM, Scotland blue said:

Your question about the MP68's is spot on and one that was tumbling around in my head but the thought of returning to prior form pushed it to the back.

I decided to buy a set of perimeter weighted player's irons and am awaiting their delivery today.  I've even thought about getting a new hybrid, M3, with a regular shaft to get the height that used to be with me.  The driver is working great and with a lot of confidence which leads to more and more great drives.  The only problem with the driver is when i feel like I bombed it i go find it usually on the fairway, but it is about 240-260 when it used to be 270-290, old age is the berries.

Yeah I currently am playing titleist AP2s but have a set of MP15s. I love the MP15s and I am looking at a new set of irons this year which leads me to likely go for the MMC. The issue is I am 29 with a long term girlfriend. I keep irons for about 5-8 years or so and looking 5-8 years into the future I wonder if I am going to be able to play as much golf as a do now and if my ball striking is going to stay good enough to play a mizuno MMC. 

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

On 8/8/2020 at 5:55 AM, Granata13 said:

Practice will definitely help, it sounds like you don't trust yourself to make a good swing at it.  I would hit the club you think will get there with a good swing, if that starts coming up short, with a good swing, then go longer.  Most of the time you are better missing short than long

A friend of mine used to only ask for the back of the green number from the GPS. He would choose his club based off never going over the back. 

I would see him lay short, left, right, or on but, not off the back. Worked for him. 

My approach is more about where trouble lies. If there are front bunkers then I want my guaranteed cover number and play a shot that goes at least that far. I don't mind missing off the back to avoid bunkers. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I always choose based on the optimal strike conditions. That's my way of getting feedback, seeing where the ball ends, was it too thin, too fat, etc..

You were once single hcp, so you probably know that swinging 110% and 90% probably (assuming struck perfectly) have a difference of 3-4 yards. I think Me and My Golf did a video of this and suggested to stay in the 80-90% range. More than that, you'll lose control and not gain much distance.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 2 weeks later...

Just take things as they come. If you were hitt a 7i at 150 and now you are coming up short...simple take a 6i and make a smooth swing. Don't over kill it, and pretty soon you'll be back to normal. You were out of golf for 1 1/2 years, it won't come back in a month or so and it's also less frustrating.

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4